LONDON: The founder of Ubitennis has insisted that he meant no harm after asking Rafael Nadal a question that the Spaniard branded as ‘bullshit’ at the ATP Finals on Monday evening.
Ubaldo Scanagatta, who has worked at more than 150 grand slam tournaments, asked the world No.1 if his latest performance on the tour was linked to his recent marriage. Nadal lost his opening match at the ATP Finals to Alexander Zverev in straight sets. Against his German rival, he failed to generate a single break point opportunity despite winning all five of their previous meetings on the tour.
“It is a big surprise for me (that) you ask me this after I have been with the same girl for 15 years and having a very stable and normal life. Doesn’t matter if you put a ring on your finger or not. In my personal way, I am a very normal guy.” Nadal said in response to Scanagatta’s question.
Bemused by the question, he went on to ask the Italian journalist how long he had been with his wife. Then swiftly shut down the interaction between him and Scanagatta.
“We move to Spanish (question) because that’s bulls***. Thank you very much.” He snapped.
Following their exchange in the press room at The O2 Arena, the Ubitennis creator hit back at Nadal is his daily round-up video. Arguing that it was a legitimate question to ask because marriage is a significant milestone for many in their lives.
“I think he should excuse himself because I wasn’t rude.” He said. “My question was very innocent and I really don’t understand that kind of answer.”
Nadal has always been very secretive when it comes to his personal life and relationship with Xisca. In the lead up to his extravagant wedding, few details were disclosed to the public. One Mallorcan newspaper reported that those working at the wedding were required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
The ATP Finals is Nadal’s first tournament since withdrawing from the Paris Masters due to an abdominal injury. Despite his loss to Zverev, the world No.1 has insisted that physically he is feeling good. As well as his first title at the event at stake, he is also locked in a battle with nemesis Novak Djokovic for the year-end top spot.
Nadal will return to action on Wednesday when he plays Daniil Medvedev. He has defeated the Russian twice this year, including their epic clash in the final of the US Open.
The full exchange
US: “Tonight you were playing very short many times. I don’t know why, because you’re not used to that. I’d like to know, for many people to get married is a very important distracted thing before the marriage, during the marriage, after the marriage. I’d like to know if somehow your concentration on tennis life has been a bit different, even if you were going out with the same girl for many, many years.”
RN: “Honestly are you asking me this? Is a serious question or is a joke? Is it serious?”
US: “It’s serious. Is not something that…”
RN: “Okay. I surprise, is a big surprise for me (that) you ask me this after I have been with the same girl for 15 years and having a very stable and normal life. Doesn’t matter if you put a ring on your finger or not. In my personal way, I am a very normal guy. Maybe for you was – how many years have you been with your (partner)?”
US: “Wife, 30 years this year.”
RN: “And before? Ah, maybe before you were not sure. That’s why. Okay. Okay. We move to Spanish, because that’s bulls***. Thank you very much.”
NOTE TO OUR READERS – In reference to the exchange that occurred between myself and Rafael Nadal during the press conference following his first match, I have had a clarifying meeting after his win against Medvedev. We both have acknowledged the reasons that led to the misunderstanding and the subsequent exchange of unpleasant words, mainly due to our imperfect knowledge of the English language. This is it. We’ll turn the page, for everyone’s satisfaction, and Nadal and I maintain the mutual respect that has always been a cornerstone of our relationship. Our readers are naturally free to form their own opinion on this event, but at this stage, any further comment would appear unnecessary. Thank you for your attention. (Ubaldo Scanagatta)
Felix Auger-Aliassime Survives Australian Open Marathon
For a second time this week the Canadian was pushed but managed to win a tough four-set match against his Spanish opponent.
Felix Auger-Aliassime booked his spot in the third round of the Australian Open after beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 in a match that lasted four hours and 20 minutes.
The Montreal native hit 58 winners and served 28 aces while Davidovich Fokina hit 51 unforced errors. It is the second time the 21-year-old has reached the last 32 in Melbourne Park in what is his third appearence.
The first game of the match was a nervy one for the world number nine as it lasted six minutes and it involved him saving two breakpoints before being able to hold serve. The opener stayed on serve until 2-2 when the Fokina came up with an impressive passing shot to set up two more chances for the first break of serve of the match and this time managed to convert. Three games later the Canadian fought back and broke right back to go back on serve.
It was a tiebreak which decided the first set. The Montreal native jumped out to a 3-0 lead before the Spaniard came back again to win the next four points but the Canadian responded again winning three straight points to take the breaker 7-4 and the first set.
The second set was another impressive performance on serve by both players and once again was decided by a back and forth breaker that this time was won by Davidovich Fokina to level the match.
The third frame was much the same as both players kept their level up and not much differentiated the two. This tiebreaker was much more straightforward as the Canadian jumped out to a 5-1 lead before closing out the third set 7-5 and taking two sets to one lead.
The fourth set stayed on serve until 2-1 when the world number 50 had a chance to break and was able to get it for a 3-1 lead before the Canadian was able to break back the following game to go back on serve.
For the fourth time, the set was decided by a tiebreaker and this one was super tight with the Canadian getting the crucial break to take a 4-3 lead and that one break was enough for him to serve it out.
Auger Aliassime will now face Dan Evans in the third round after the Brit was handed a walkover against Frenchman Arthur Rinderknech who pulled out of the match due to injury.
‘Best Feeling I’ve Ever Had’ – Underdog Christopher O’Connell Stuns Schwartzman At Australian Open
Prior to this week the 27-year-old had never won a main draw match at Melbourne Park or beaten a top 20 player.
World No.175 Christopher O’Connell has pulled off a major upset at the Australian Open by knocking out 13th seed Diego Schwartzman.
The 27-year-old wild card had only ever won one match in the main draw of a Grand Slam prior to this year but illustrated the talent that he has with a 7-6, 6-4, 6-4, win over Schwartzman. A player who is currently ranked 162 places above him in the rankings. Against the Argentine he fired a total of 44 winners and won 75% of his first service points on route to claiming his first win over a top 20 player.
“It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had on a tennis court. I’ve been playing tennis since I was four. To have moments like this it’s a dream come true.” O’Connell said during his press conference.
Despite the straightforward score, the match itself was a marathon. The opener alone lasted for almost 90 minutes with the underdog saving three set points whilst down 4-5 before prevailing in the tiebreaker. Then in the following two sets he broke Schwartzman three times in total.
“I knew how crucial that first set was. It was really warming up out there. It was really a battle back and forth. It was crucial to get that first set, especially in the heat,” he said.
A late bloomer on the men’s Tour, the Australian started to make a breakthrough last year by reaching his first quarter-final at the Atlanta Open where he defeated Jannik Sinner. During that year he also reached the final of a French Challenger event before withdrawing due to injury and reached the second round of the US Open.
O’Connell, who has been ranked as high as 111th in the world, credits his coach for helping him reach new milestones in the sport. He is mentored by former player Marinko Matosevic who reached a ranking high of 39th back in 2013 and made more than $2M in prize money during his playing career.
“The process didn’t start yesterday. It’s been happening all of last year,” he stated.
“I’ve been working with Marinko. He’s just really confident with how I want to play tennis now. It’s the first time I’ve really had a one-on-one coach literally every day with me.’
“Marinko was such a great player. All his knowledge of the game, he’s just putting it onto me.”
Next up for O’Connell will be the in-form Maxime Cressy who lost to Rafael Nadal in the final of the Melbourne Summer Set just over a week ago. The American defeated Czech qualifier Tomáš Macháč 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 7-6(5), in his second round match.
“I knew I had good results in me. It’s just being consistent. I felt today was a consistent match from me,” he reflected.
“But the biggest thing for me is just staying healthy, not having these injuries where I miss two months of tournaments. I nearly missed five or six months last year. I can’t be doing that.’
“The belief is always there, but I just got to make sure my body’s healthy this year. I want to play a full year.”
French Player Tests Positive For COVID-19 Hours After Australian Open Defeat
The world No.40 was preparing to leave the country.
Ugo Humbert is in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19 following his first round loss at the Australian Open on Tuesday.
Humbert, who was the 29th seed in the men’s draw, is understood to have produced a positive result during a routine procedure players have to conduct before they leave the country. It is unclear as to if he is currently suffering from any symptoms.
Humbert crashed out of the tournament to compatriot Richard Gasquet, who won their match 3-6, 7-6(4), 7-6 (3), 6-3, in three hours and 18 minutes. Gasquet also tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in Australia earlier this month but was given the all clear to play at Melbourne Park following a negative test. There was a 15-day period between the 35-year-old announcing on Twitter he had the virus and his first match against Humbert.
“I was tested positive on my exit test yesterday and I’ll stay one more week in isolation in Australia,” Humbert wrote on Instagram.
“Thanks for your support and see you soon.”
The 23-year-old has started his season by winning one out of four matches played. Prior to the Australian Open, he scored one of the biggest wins of his career by defeating Daniil Medvedev at the ATP Cup in the group stages. However, following that victory he suffered losses to Alex de Minaur and Matteo Berrettini.
Tennis Australia is yet to comment on Humbert’s positive test.
Italian Journalist rates Camila Giorgi, Matteo Berrettini, Jannik Sinner and Lorenzo Sonego’s Australian Open hopes
Australian Open Daily Preview: Friday Provides Many Excellent Third Round Matchups
Australian Open: Daniil Medvedev powers past home favourite Nick Kyrgios
Danka Kovinic becomes the first player from Montenegro to reach the third round at a Grand Slam tournament
‘Disappointed’ Murray Aims For Improvement In Results After Second Round Australian Open Exit
Novak Djokovic To Be Deported From Australia After Court Appeal Fails
Novak Djokovic ‘Trying’ To Get To The Australian Open, Says Lajovic
Novak Djokovic To Play Australian Open
REPORT: Novak Djokovic Denied Entry Into Australia After Visa Mix-Up
‘An Error Of Judgement’ – Novak Djokovic Admits He Broke Covid-19 Rules To Attend Photoshoot
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
Grand Slam2 days ago
Tennis Australia To ‘Review’ Handling Of Djokovic Fiasco But Not Until Australian Open Ends
ATP2 days ago
Liam Broady On Why He Wore Rainbow Laces During His Australian Open Match
Hot Topics1 day ago
Australian Open Visa Fiasco Was Preventable, Says Two-Time Champion Azarenka
ATP3 days ago
Australian Open: ‘I’m feeling great’, says Gaël Monfils after straight sets win
ATP1 day ago
French Player Tests Positive For COVID-19 Hours After Australian Open Defeat
ATP3 days ago
Australian Open: Pablo Carreno Busta Through But Fabio Fognini Stunned
ATP2 days ago
Grigor Dimitrov downs Jiri Lehecka to begin Australian Open campaign
ATP2 days ago
Casper Ruud Withdraws From Australian Open Due To Ankle Injury