Tennys Sandgren Says Australian Open ‘Not Feasible’ For Players After First Round Loss
The American says his preparation for the tournament has been ‘kind of a joke.’
Tennys Sandgren has become the latest player to speak out about the negative impact a hard quarantine has had on those participating in the Australian Open.
The world No.51 was among 72 players who was forced into a hard quarantine last month after being declared a contact of a positive COVID-19 case. Meaning they were unable to leave their room for a 14-day period and could only return to the practice courts last week. Sandgren started his campaign at Melbourne Park on Tuesday but suffered a 7-5, 6-1, 6-1, loss to 21st seed Alex de Minaur.
The American, who reached the quarter-finals of the Australian Open in 2018, says he was unable to sufficiently prepare for the match due to the quarantine. Expressing his frustrations to the media, he said he ‘couldn’t walk’ after playing two matches last week as part of his warm-up for the event.
“How would you imagine prepping for a hot kind of muggy day, three-out-of-five sets against a player like that, that caliber, when you can’t play tennis? You can’t go outside? You can’t.” Sandgren said during his press conference.
“It’s impossible. I played last week’s event, which probably wasn’t a good idea. It wasn’t hot, it was very mild conditions, and I played two hard three-set matches and I’ve never been more sore in my life after the second round.’
“I took two days off because I couldn’t walk, and then I hit a couple times before today. I mean, it’s just kind of a joke of preparation.”
It is not the first time this week a player has hit out at the Australian Open over their quarantine measures. On Monday Angelique Kerber admitted she would have ‘thought twice’ about travelling to the country if she knew she would be placed in strict quarantine. Victoria Azarenka said the biggest problem for her was the lack of fresh air she was able to get. Meanwhile, Paula Badosa says her level was ‘not even 70 per cent’ prior to her 14-day isolation. Badosa was the only player out of the 72 to test positive for the virus.
Perhaps the biggest criticism was from Benoit Paire who described the Grand Slam as ‘really crap’ before accusing the organisers of not treating all the players the same during quarantine. Sandgren’s criticism isn’t as blunt as Paire’s but he believes for some players the tournament is too much for them.
“I’ve never walked on to a court in a Grand Slam knowing that I’m probably not going to be able to win,” he said. “I’m physically not in shape enough to play with my opponent.’
“I mean, my five-set record is pretty good when I get to a fifth set, I’m in great shape. And today I’m tired after an hour and 10 minutes. Like that to me is — and it’s a bit out of my control, and there’s 75 other players in the men’s and women’s field that are in the same boat.’
“It’s a hefty number of people, and very good players. I wouldn’t say the whole tournament is a joke, but for some players it’s not feasible.”
Sandgren will still be sticking around Melbourne for the next few days as he is also playing in the doubles tournament with Dominik Koepfer.
SuperTennis Granted Rights To US Open Until 2027
SuperTennis will be the home for the US Open in Italy until 2027.
SuperTennis have been given exclusive rights to show the US Open in Italy until 2027 after a new agreement was reached.
The USTA and SportCast reached the agreement as announced in a press release.
SportCast are the Italian Tennis and Padel Federation Group company that manages the SuperTennis TV channel in Italy.
In the press released the USTA confirmed they reached a five year agreement with SportCast for SuperTennis to show the US Open until 2027.
The deal means that SuperTennis will show the best daily matches live and delayed alongside coverage on the SuperTenniX digital platform, which gives FITP members and subscribers access to stream all matches across the two week tournament.
It also means that the US Open joins Wimbledon, Davis Cup and a number of ATP and WTA events to be shown on SuperTennis.
Chief Commercial Officer at the USTA, Kristen Corio, had this to say on today’s announcement, “SuperTennis has proven to be a trusted home for the sport in Italy,” Corio said in the press release.
“With a number of Italian players at the forefront of this rising generation of talent, it’s an exciting time to begin this new partnership and we look forward to working together with SuperTennis to continue growing the audience for the US Open.”
Meanwhile the president of Italian Tennis and Padel Federation, Angelo Binaghi, was delighted with the latest news and talked about the impact it has on Italian tennis, “The Italian Tennis and Padel Federation continues its development policy through the promotion of great tennis in our country, and with the founding of the SuperTennis channel 15 years ago, it brought back the sport of tennis to our dedicated audience,” Binaghi said.
“Alongside providing extensive coverage of Wimbledon, we are now proud to make another tennis Grand Slam available to all Italian tennis fans. The US Open is a tournament that has recently provided some incredible stories, including the historic 2015 US Open final won by Flavia Pennetta over Roberta Vinci.
“The level of access that SuperTennis can provide to its viewers will only contribute to the further promotion of tennis and the increased support of our national tennis players.”
This year’s US Open will take place from the 28th of August until the 10th of September with Iga Swiatek and Carlos Alcaraz looking to defend their titles.
Undeterred Novak Djokovic Hopeful Of US Open Return In 2023
Novak Djokovic says he ‘really wants’ to play at this year’s US Open when it is likely he will be allowed to enter the country.
The 22-time Grand Slam champion is currently unable to enter American territory due to being unvaccinated against COVID-19. All foreign arrivals are required to be vaccinated before travelling to the country under an emergency law implemented to curb the spread of the virus. Although this law is expected to come to an end in May.
Djokovic had attempted to apply for a special exception which would have allowed him to play Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Miami but was refused by authorities. Even though he had the backing of the United States Tennis Association (USTA) who pledged their support on social media. Furthermore, American players who are unvaccinated are allowed to play in these events.
Speaking to CNN about his recent absence, a defiant Djokovic has insisted that he has no regrets about not being able to play. The Serbian has said in the past that he didn’t want to have the vaccine as he has concerns about the impact it might have on his body.
“I have no regrets,” Djokovic states. “I’ve learned through life that regrets only hold you back and basically make you live in the past. And I don’t want to do that. I also don’t want to live too much in the future. I want to be as much as in the present moment, but of course think about future, create a better future.”
On Monday Djokovic lost his No.1 ranking to Carlos Alcaraz who won the Indian Wells title. He has held the top spot for a total of 380 weeks so far in his career which is more than any other player – male or female – in the history of the sport.
“I congratulate Alcaraz. He absolutely deserves to come back to No.1,” Djokovic commented.
“It’s a pity that I wasn’t able to play in Indian Wells [and] Miami. I love those tournaments. I had plenty of success there. But at the same time, it is the conscious decision I made and I knew that there is always a possibility that I won’t go.”
Djokovic’s last match on American soil was back in September 2021 when he lost in the final of the US Open to Daniil Medvedev. He is a three-time champion at the Grand Slam and has also contested the final on six other occasions between 2007-2021.
The 35-year-old remains optimistic that he will return to New York later this year as long as the government emergency legislation is lifted.
“I really want to be playing there, want to be there,” Djokovic said. “I actually had in 2021 when I lost in the finals against (Daniil) Medvedev, probably one of the best moments I ever had with the New York crowd. And I’ve been fortunate to win that tournament three times, play many finals. And even though I lost that match, I received a lot of love and appreciation from people and I want to go back and I want to reconnect with the crowd there. So that’s something I’m looking forward to and hopefully it will happen.”
So far this year Djokovic has won two Tour titles in Adelaide and at the Australian Open. Out of 16 matches played, his only loss was to Medvedev at the Dubai Tennis Championships.
Wimbledon Likely To Scrap Ban On Russian Players, Says Two-Time Champion Murray
Andy Murray has told BBC Sport that he understands the ban implemented on Russian and Belarussian players competing at Wimbledon will be lifted this year.
The All England Club, as well as by British LTA, has been under pressure to conduct a u-turn on their policy following the backlash they received last year from both the ATP and WTA. In 2022 Britain became the only country on the Tour to ban players from their events as a result of the war in Ukraine which has claimed thousands of lives. Organisers said their decision to do so was based on advice from their government who voiced concern that Russia could use UK-based events as propaganda.
However, the governing bodies of men’s and women’s tennis condemned the move with both of them issuing fines to the LTA. It has been reported by The Telegraph newspaper that the WTA is willing to halve their $1M fine if athletes from the two nations are allowed to play this year. It has also been reported that officials are contemplating the possibility of requiring these players to sign some sort of contract to say they will not be making political gestures before being allowed to play. However, this has not been publicly confirmed.
Whilst there is yet to be any official statement, Murray appears confident that the ban will be lifted based on what he has heard. Murray, who donated more than £500,000 of his prize money from last season to charities supporting Ukrainian children affected by the war, has previously voiced his opposition to the 2022 ban.
“It’s a really difficult one and I do feel for the players who weren’t able to play last year – but I also understand the situation and why it’s really hard for Wimbledon to make a call on it as well,” Murray told BBC Sport.
“My understanding is that they are going to be allowed to play and I’m not going to be going nuts if that is the case.
“But if Wimbledon went down another route I would be understanding of that.”
Besides their financial penalty, Wimbledon lost their right to award ranking points last year for the first time in history. There have also been concerns that should the ban not be reversed, the rights for some events held in the UK such as Eastbourne could be removed and sold elsewhere.
Under current rules, players from Russia and Belarus are allowed to play on the Tour but only under a neutral status. They are currently suspended from all team competitions such as the Davis Cup.
Murray spoke about Wimbledon to reporters in Indian Wells ahead of his first round clash with Tomas Etcheverry of Argentina. So far this season he has won six out of nine matches played with his best run being to the final of the Qatar Open last month.
Miami Open Daily Preview: Elena Rybakina Plays Jessica Pegula in the Semifinals
Novak Djokovic Set For US Open Return
World Tennis Conference 3: The high-level training for tennis coaches is back
Draw of the Davis Cup Finals Group Stage announced in Malaga
Improving Jannik Sinner Says There Is More To Come From Him
Andy Murray does not care too much about possible all-British third round clash in Indian Wells
WTA CEO Reportedly Said Players Shouldn’t Be Upset If Their Peers Support Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine
Stan Wawrinka’s Warning To Rune After Fiery Encounter At Indian Wells
Indian Wells Daily Preview: Alcaraz, Swiatek, Azarenka, Murray Play on Saturday
Elena Rybakina Topples Injured Swiatek, Faces Sabalenka For Indian Wells Title
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Australian Open: Steve Flink Talks Djokovic’s Fitness, Nearest Rivals And Future Of American Tennis
EXCLUSIVE: Felix Auger-Aliassime’s Coach Fredric Fontang – ‘Felix Can Win Wimbledon This Year’
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Australian Open: Steve Flink On Sabalenka’s Rise, Swiatek’s Tough Year Ahead
EXCLUSIVE: Meet Shane Liyanage – The Data Analyst Behind Aryna Sabalenka’s Breakthrough
(VIDEO) Ubaldo Scanagatta On A Week To Remember For Canada At The Davis Cup
Latest news2 days ago
Jannik Sinner beats Andrey Rublev to reach the quarter final in Miami for the third consecutive year
Hot Topics2 days ago
Rafael Nadal’s Monte Carlo Participation Still In Doubt Despite Claim By Organisers
Hot Topics2 days ago
Jessica Pegula Hopes To Run Her Own Tennis Event In The Future
ATP2 days ago
Miami Open Daily Preview: Two Matches Between Top 10 Seeds Headline Fourth Round ATP Action
Focus3 days ago
Juan Martin Del Potro Makes Comeback Hint
Hot Topics2 days ago
Andy Murray Disbands Tennis Section Of Own Management Agency, Joins IMG
Latest news2 days ago
Carlos Alcaraz beats Tommy Paul to keep his Sunshine Double hopes alive
Latest news3 days ago
Elena Rybakina beats Elise Mertens in Miami to extend her winning streak to 11 consecutive matches