Tim Henman Hails ‘Inspirational’ Andy Murray - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Tim Henman Hails ‘Inspirational’ Andy Murray

The former world No.4 has shared his opinion of Murray’s comeback to the tour.

Avatar

Published

on

The return of Andy Murray to professional tennis following surgery has been described as ‘unbelievable’ by former British No.1 Tim Henman.

 

Less than 12 months ago Murray revealed in an emotional press conference that he may be forced to retire from the sport due to ongoing hip problems after failing to recover fully from his first operation. However, his career was given a revival thanks to a second procedure. Shortly after the conclusion of the Australian Open, he has hip resurfacing surgery. Which is a procedure that involves inserting a metal rod into the joint.

Starting his comeback in June by playing in only doubles tournaments, Murray has made steady progress on the tour. In October he claimed his first ATP title in more than two years after defeating Stan Wawrinka to win the European Open in Antwerp.

Now ranked 126th in the world, Murray will soon be heading to Australia to start what he hopes will be an injury-free 2020 season. The return of the former world No.1 has been praised by compatriot Henman. The two will be working closely together in January with Henman being captain of the British team for the ATP Cup thanks to a nomination from Murray.

“What he’s been able to achieve in the latter part of this was unbelievable. When he was crying in that press conference, you felt his career was over. To be back winning on the main tour 10 months later, it speaks volumes about him as a competitor,” Henman said during an interview with The Age.
“I think he’d had such a difficult couple of years. He was world number one when his hip gave in and there had been so much frustration. His story really transcends tennis and this is where it becomes a bigger story in sport and in life.”

This week Murray will be releasing a documentary on Amazon Prime about his recent journey back from injury and the emotional effects it had taken on him. Called ‘Andy Murray: Resurfacing,’ the three-time grand slam champion opens up about a variety of issues. Including his personal experience of the Dunblane Massacre that took place at the same school he was attending that day.

“There are lots of people that have had new hips and got on with their life. But there are very, very few that have had a hip resurfaced at 32 and come back to play professional sport at the highest level. That’s where it’s inspirational.” Henman stated.

Henman, who is a six-time Grand Slam semi-finalist, is hoping Murray will be fully fit in time for the ATP Cup. A tournament described as a threat to the revamped Davis Cup, which took place last week.

“I’m really excited to be a part of the GB team. They just played well in Davis Cup, we’ve got nice strength and depth.” He said.
“Sydney has great memories for me… the more I thought about it, the more I was inclined to take up the offer.”

The ATP Cup will start on January 3rd with a total of 24 teams taking part.

ATP

Monte Carlo Breakthrough Leaves Andrey Rublev With Mixed Emotions

The world No.8 takes confidence from his latest run but admits it is ‘impossible’ to play at his very top level every week on the Tour.

Avatar

Published

on

After achieving a career milestone at the Monte Carlo Masters, Andrey Rublev was sent crashing down to earth on Sunday.

 

The Russian tennis star broke new territory at the tournament by reaching his first ever Masters 1000 final at the age of 23. However, he was denied the title by Stefanos Tsitsipas who produced a clinical performance to seal victory in just 71 minutes. Ending Rublev’s run of winning seven finals in a row.

“I feel happy with the week, and I feel super sad with the final, that I couldn’t show my game,” he told reporters on Sunday.
“Of course, I’m happy with the week because I beat so many great players and I beat one of the best players in history. It’s a special week.”

Earlier in the tournament Rublev stunned the draw when he upset Rafael Nadal in three sets en route to the semi-finals. Making it the fourth time in his career he has scored a win over a player ranked No.3 in the world. He is also the first player in history to come back from a set down to defeat Nadal at the tournament.

Besides the king of clay, Rublev also dismissed Roberto Bautista Agut and Casper Ruud. He has now won 24 matches on the ATP Tour this season which is more than anybody else. However, he is reluctant to link all of his match play with his latest performance.

“I feel tired after all the matches that I play, exhausted. But this is not excuse. He was just better than me, and that’s it,” he stated.
“Not always everything goes your way. It happened today. I was completely exhausted. Stefanos, he showed great game. He was just better than me, and that’s it.”

Despite his recent success, Rublev is eager to not get too far ahead of himself heading into the French Open. A Grand Slam where he has only played in the main draw twice before, including last year where he reached the quarter-finals.

“I would like to play really good in Madrid and I would like to play really good in Rome. I would like to play all of the weeks good. But it’s impossible,” he explains.
“Some of the weeks for sure will be better, some will be worse and some will be amazing.’
“For the moment I’m playing really consistent. I’m really happy I’m playing my best season so far. We’ll see what’s going to happen.”

Rublev is set to return to action next week at the Barcelona Open where he will be the third seed.

Continue Reading

ATP

Former Australian Open Semi-Finalist Kyle Edmund Undergoes Surgery

It has been reported that the world No.69 may not be able to return to the Tour for ‘several more months.’

Avatar

Published

on

British world No.69 Kyle Edmund is set to be sidelined from the Tour for some time after having surgery to treat a long-standing problem in Switzerland. 

 

The former British No.1 has confirmed he had a ‘small procedure’ on his knee after being hampered with issues in the area ever since 2018 when a scan revealed that he had fluid behind his left knee. Details of the surgery have not been disclosed by the person who conducted the operation was Dr Roland Biedert, according to BBC Sport. A specialist Orthopaedic surgeon who has also operated on Roger Federer, Stan Wawrinka and Juan Martin del Potro.

“I had a small procedure on my knee. I’m currently rehabbing. The recovery is going well and I hope to be back on court as soon as possible.” Edmund said.

Currently ranked 69th in the world, Edmund hasn’t played a competitive match since losing in the first round of qualifying at the Vienna Open last October due to his knee. 2020 saw mixed fortunes for the 26-year-old. After winning the New York Open during February of that year, he lost seven out of 10 matches played during the rest of the season. Including five defeats in a row.

No return date has been outlined by Edmund or his team following the surgery. However, British media have reported that he may be out for ‘several more months.’ Casting doubts over his chances of being ready in time for Wimbledon which starts on June 28th. He hasn’t been absent from a Wimbledon main draw since 2012.

Edmund has been ranked as high as 14th in the world with his best Grand Slam run being to the semi-finals of the 2018 Australian Open. Overall, he has won two ATP titles and has earned more than $5.7 in prize money. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Grigor Dimitrov Blames Poor Monte Carlo Performance On ‘Big Infection’

The 29-year-old reveals the reason behind his error-stricken performance at the Monte Carlo Country Club on Thursday.

Avatar

Published

on

Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov said he simply ‘didn’t play’ in his latest match at the Monte Carlo Masters after winning just two games against Rafael Nadal.

 

The world No.17 fell 6-1, 6-1, to the 20-time Grand Slam champion in less than an hour on Thursday. He won 48% of his first service points and 32% of his second, as he hit 32 unforced errors. A dismal performance from Dimitrov who had beaten Jan-Lennard Struff and Jeremy Chardy earlier in the tournament.

Whilst it was never going to be easy playing somebody of Nadal’s calibre, Dimitrov has revealed that he had been troubled by an issue away from the court. He has been suffering from a ‘big infection’ in his tooth which has had an impact on his preparation for the match.

“I’ve been struggling with a massive tooth problem for the past four or five days,” he said. “I have a big infection in my tooth. It’s been hard. I haven’t been able to sleep well or eat well or anything like that.’
“I was bearing it for a while this whole week.”

It is another case of bad luck for Dimitrov on the Tour this season. At the Australian Open he reached the quarter-finals in what was his best Grand Slam performance since the 2019 US Open. However, in his last eight showdown with Russia’s Aslan Karatsev he was hindered by a back injury.

“It’s straight to the doctor’s, unfortunately,” he commented on his tooth. “Very, very unpleasant moment. It is what it is.’
“At least I’m glad it happened on a home soil so I can go see my dentist and figure this problem as soon as possible.Hopefully it’s not too serious and I’ll be able to come back as soon as possible.”

Speaking in his press conference, Nadal said he ‘felt sorry’ for his opponent who ‘played a bad match.’ During the match the world No.3 wasn’t aware of Dimitrov’s problem but was told about it afterwards.

“I wish him all the best. He’s a great guy, a good friend. I just hope the situation is to improve as soon as possible,” he said.

Nadal, who is seeking a record 12th title in Monte Carlo, will play Russia’s Andrey Rublev next.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending