Juan Martin Del Potro, Dan Evans Withdraws From Queen’s - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Juan Martin Del Potro, Dan Evans Withdraws From Queen’s

Published

on

Juan Martin del Potro (zimbio.com)

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from next week’s Aegon Championships due to a groin injury.

The Argentine hasn’t played since his third round loss to Andy Murray at the French Open. It was during the second round of that tournament where Del Potro picked up the injury. It is the latest setback for the 28-year-old, who was also troubled by shoulder and back issues prior to Roland Garros.

There is currently no information regarding Del Potro’s plans for Wimbledon, but he is expected to play. He is a former semifinalist at the tournament, but has only played at SW19 once since 2013 due to numerous injury setbacks. The most notable being a lengthy absence due to his wrist.

Another withdrawal from Queen’s is world No.54 Dan Evans. The Brit suffered a calf injury during the Surbiton Open last week, forcing him out of the tournament. Since then, he has been spotted on Crutches. Evans has also pulled out of this week’s Nottingham Open to ‘rest his injury,’ but said earlier this week he hoped to play at Queen’s.

Kokkinakis and Ward promoted

Replacing both Del Potro and Evans in the main draw at Queen’s are two players that have also been marred by injury in recent months. Australia’s Thanasi Kokkinakis is set to play in only his fourth tournament of the year. This week the 21-year-old won his first ATP main draw match since 2015 after defeating Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets.

30-year-old Ward returned to action earlier this month after an eight-month absence due to a knee injury. His last main draw match on the ATP World tour occurred in the first round of last year’s Wimbledon Championships, where he lost in straight sets to Novak Djokovic.

“James and Thanasi have had a difficult time with injuries over the last year or two and we are delighted to give them a chance to play in the Aegon Championships main draw. James had a fabulous run to the semifinals in 2011 and we all remember his matches in Great Britain’s Davis Cup win. Thanasi is one of the most talented young players in the sport and it’s great to see him back. We wish Juan Martin del Potro and Dan Evans a speedy recovery and hope to see them next year.” Said tournament director Stephen Farrow.

The Aegon Championships will get underway on Monday. Andy Murray will be the defending champion and top seed. Seven top-15 players will be taking part in the draw.

ATP

Rafael Nadal To Play Laver Cup In Berlin

Published

on

Rafael Nadal has eased speculation that he might be retiring from the sport soon after signing on to play in the Laver Cup later this year. 

The 22-time Grand Slam champion is the latest player to join the line-up for this year’s team competition which features Europe taking on the rest of the world over three days. It will be Nadal’s fourth appearance in the competition and his first since 2022. He competed in the inaugural edition of the event back in 2017 alongside co-founder Roger Federer. 

“I am very happy to be playing Laver Cup in Berlin for Team Europe,” Nadal said in a press release. “I have some really special memories from my Laver Cup experiences, including all the emotions from London two years ago playing alongside Roger for the last time.”

Nadal’s decision to play comes amid questions about his future in the sport. The former world No.1 has previously indicated that this year could be his last on the Tour but he has stated that no decision has been made. In recent months he has been sidelined from action due to injury setbacks and has only been able to play in two tournaments so far this year. 

“At this stage in my career I really want to go out there and make the most of every opportunity I am given,” he explains.
“Teaming up is always an incredible experience and I have always enjoyed it, the competition is different and exciting. I’m looking forward to going to Berlin and helping Team Europe win back the Laver Cup.”

Other European players confirmed to be playing are Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev and Alexander Zverev. Meanwhile, Alex de Minaur, Taylor Fritz and Tommy Paul have agreed to play for Team World. This year’s event will be held in Belin at the Uber Arena between September 20-22. 

The Laver Cup was inspired by golf’s Ryder Cup. It was co-founded by Federer’s Team8 management company (which he formed with agent Tony Godsick), businessman Jorge Paulo Lemann and Tennis Australia. In 2019 it became an official ATP sanction event and now has a place on the official calendar. 

Nadal is set to return to competitive action at the Madrid Masters which he has won on five previous occasions. He has been drawn to play teenage wild card Darwin Blanch in the first round. If he wins, Nadal will then play Alex de Minaur who knocked him out of the Barcelona Open last week. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Iga Swiatek beats Emma Raducanu to extend her winning streak to ten consecutive matches in Stuttgart

Published

on

Two-time defending champion Iga Swiatek held off 2021 US Open champion Emma Raducanu 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 after 2 hours and 3 minutes to extend her winning streak to 10 consecutive matches at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart. 

Swiatek set up a semifinal match against 2022 Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina, who came back from a break down in the third set to beat this year’s Dubai champion Jasmine Paolini.

Raducanu came back from 0-40 down to earn the first break of the opening set. Swiatek converted her third break point in the second game in a seven-deuce second game. Raducanu saved the only other break point at deuce in the sixth game. Swiatek won the first four points and five of the first six points to win the tie-break 7-2. 

Swiatek earned five break points in the second, sixth and in the 12thgame, but she converted only one opportunity. Raducanu converted her only break point in the first game. Swiatek won nine more points than Swiatek. 

Swiatek broke Raducanu in the second game to open up a 2-0 lead. This break was decisive, as both players held on their next serve in their next games. 

Swiatek earned six break points in the third, fifth and ninth games, but she converted one chance. The Pole did not face a single break point and won eight more points than Raducanu.

“Raducanu started playing at the beginning pretty loose, like she had nothing to lose, and I totally get that. Sometimes it is like that. I knew I was questioning if she is going to be able to keep the same intensity throughout the whole match. It was not about service games or return games. I was just waiting for my chances to break back and I was sure that I am going to get them”, said Swiatek.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Stefanos Tsitsipas beats Sebastian Ofner in Barcelona to extend his winning streak

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas beat Sebastian Ofner 6-4 7-5 at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell to extend his winning streak to seven consecutive matches after claiming his third title at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters last week. 

Tsitsipas earned an immediate break in the first game. Ofner broke straight back to draw level to 1-1. Tsitsipas earned his second break  in the seventh game to take a 4-3 lead and served out the first set 6-4 with a hold at 15. 

Tsitsipas broke in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. Ofner won three consecutive games with two breaks of serve to take a 5-3 lead. Tsitsipas came back by winning four consecutive games with two breaks of serve to seal the second set 7-5.

Tsitsipas has a record of 17 wins to 5 defeats in Barcelona. The Greek player reached three finals at this tournament in 2018, 2021 and 2023.  

“I feel pretty good, but it is still early in the tournament. The conditions here are very different to Monte-Carlo and I felt it today when I was playing. My job is to adapt and to ensure I can bring my A game again in Barcelona this week. Today was a great test to see where I stand. I am hoping to keep on improving and getting good wins like this under my belt”, said Tsitsipas. 

Tsitssipas set up a third round match against Roberto Carballes Baena, who beat Lorenzo Musetti 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 in 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

Musetti saved three break points in the first game of the opening set. The Italian player earned two break points with a backhand down the line. Musetti saved two break points in the seventh game. Both players went on serve un the 12th game when Carballes Baena saved a set point. Carballes Baena went up a 5-1 lead with two mini-breaks in the tie-break. Musetti won three consecutive points to reduce to 4-5. Carballes Baena won the final two points to take the tie-break 7-4. 

Carballes Baena converted his fourth break point in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Musetti broke back in the fifth game. Carballes Baena saved a break point in the sixth game. The Spanish player sealed the win with a break on his second match. 

Last week’s Monte-Carlo finalist Casper Ruud beat Alexandre Muller 6-3 6-4 to claim his 25th tour-level win of the season. Ruud has drawn level with Jannik Sinner for the most wins in 2024 on the ATP Tour. 

Ruud set up a third round match against Jordan Thompson, who beat Jaume Munar 6-4 2-4 6-4. Roberto Bautista Agut beat Andrea Vavassori 4-6 6-4 6-1 to claim his milestone 400th match win on the ATP Tour. Bautista Agut set up a third round match against Cameron Norrie. 

Continue Reading

Trending