Dan Evans Stands By Criticism Of British Tennis After French Open Exit - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Dan Evans Stands By Criticism Of British Tennis After French Open Exit

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/the_LTA

Dan Evans says his recent remarks about the state of British tennis were driven by his own experiences and the difficulties young players face in the sport. 

The world No.24 took a swipe at the current state of the sport in his own country by agreeing that Emma Raducanu’s win at the 2021 US Open ‘papered over the cracks’ of his national federation. Evans told reporters last week he believes not enough is being done to encourage young players to play junior tennis. A comment that was contested by the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) who says they are ‘making long-term progress.’ Earlier this year, Evans also hit out at what he believes is a culture of players prioritising rest over match play in a swipe at women’s tennis.

Reiterating his stance at the French Open on Sunday, the world No.24 voiced concerns that the elitist nature of tennis is harming those wanting to play from a working-class background. Evans crashed out of the first round of Roland Garros to Thanasi Kokkinakis who won 6-4, 6-4, 6-4. He has now lost his opening match at the Grand Slam in four out of the last five years. 

“I want younger children, working-class kids to get the support they deserve, and that’s why I voice my opinions,” said Evans. 
“In any other sport when people voice their opinions about a system, it goes forward, but in tennis, because we’re so elitist in England, it doesn’t get put forward. I’m doing it for working-class people like I was.’
“That’s why I say the things because no one ever just comes from nowhere. They come through in Britain. It’s always, yeah, he was good when he was young. Ten times out of ten they’re from a very nice area most likely.’
“I don’t think there’s a chance for people from working-class backgrounds to get into the sport and get a chance if their parents don’t have money.”

Watching Evans’ match against Kokkinakis was LTA performance director Michael Borne, as well as Davis Cup captain Leon Smith. The tennis star has also previously had verbal exchanges with Smith regarding his omission from doubles matches in the past. 

Whilst an outspoken figure, the 33-year-old insists that there is no malice in his words. 

“I’m just asking for things to be a bit different, more people to have a chance to get funded. That’s why I do it.” He explains. 
“It’s not personal. Everyone takes it personally. It’s not personal at all. It’s just why I do it is for that reason, and that’s what I believe in, and I’m allowed to do that, I guess.”

Evans is one of only three British players – male or female – to have secured a spot in the main draw of the French Open this year in singles. The other two are Cameron Norrie and Jack Draper. 

So far this season, he has won just eight out of 23 matches played with his best run being to the semi-finals of tournaments in Marrakech and Barcelona. The hope for the Birmingham-born player is that he will be able to turn his fortunes around on the grass. 

“I’ve got my own battles to deal with right now on the court. I’ve got to get my game in a spot where I’m able to compete at this level. I’ve been very poor in the big tournaments this year.” He concluded. 

ATP

Olympic Qualification Is Not the Only Goal For French Veteran Gael Monfils

Published

on

Gael Monfils (image via https://twitter.com/atptour)

Gael Monfils admits he doesn’t have too many years left on the Tour but this doesn’t mean his targets are any less ambitious. 

The 37-year-old has enjoyed a rapid rise up the rankings over the past 12 months following battles with injury. At his lowest, he was ranked 394th last May but is now in 40th position. As a result, he is closing on securing a place in the Olympic Games which is being held in his home country of France for the first time since 1924. The tennis event will be staged at Roland Garros. 

“When I was 400, I was thinking the Olympics would be great, but it’s going to be tough,” Monfils told reporters on Tuesday. 
“There are younger players playing well. If I don’t qualify, I don’t mind. It will just mean I’m very close to the ranking I want to be. That ranking will allow me to find another goal.”

Monfils is already a three-time Olympian but has never won a medal at the event. He reached the quarter-finals of the singles tournament twice in 2008 and 2016. 

Another goal of Frenchmen is the Wimbledon championships which concludes just three weeks before the Olympics begin. The proximity of these tournaments will be a challenge to all players who will be going from playing on clay to grass and then back to clay again. 

“I really want to go and play Wimbledon. I don’t have so many Wimbledons to play in the future. The Olympics is one goal, not the only goal.” Monfils states.
“My dream is of course to be part of the Olympics. I played three times at the Olympics. I’d like to be there again. But I also really want to do well in Wimbledon this year. To reach my goal, it has to be including Wimbledon.” He added. 

Monfils is currently playing at the Monte Carlo Masters where he beat Aleksandar Vukic in his opening match. In the next round, he will take on Daniil Medvedev in what will be their first meeting since 2022. He leads their head-to-head 2-1. 

Medvedev has openly spoken about his roller-coaster relationship with playing on the clay. He admits it is not his favourite surface but how much of a factor could this be in his upcoming clash with Monfils?

“Of course, it’s not his favourite one, but he’s still Daniil Medvedev, and whatever the surface, it’s always very complicated to play him,” Monfils concludes. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Matteo Berrettini wins in Marrakech displaying quality tennis

Published

on

Matteo Berrettini - Marrakech 2024 (photo X @ATPTour_ES)

Matteo Berrettini defeats Roberto Carballes Baena in straight sets, 75 62, and proves that his comeback is well grounded  

If life is often considered a continuous narrative, it may be no coincidence that today Matteo Berrettini’s comeback journey intersescted Carballes Baena, a player he had faced twice in straight tournaments, Florence and Naples in October 2022, shortly before plunging into his annus horribilis, an injury-plagued 2023.

Just like resuming the story from where it was left.

Carballes Baena, the defending champion, got off to a sharper start, holding serve with ease and earning a first break point in the second game. Berrettini averted the threat by hammering down three serves but lost his service two games later.

Doubts on the Italian’s recovery from his energy-draining semifinal may have been starting to come afloat. However Berrettini broke back immediately, unsettling the Spaniard’s consistency with changes of pace and alternating lifted and sliced backhands.

The next six games neatly followed serve. Figures witness how close the match was. After 45 minutes the scoreboard read 5 games all, and stats reported 27 points apiece.

The eleventh game was to be crucial. Carballes Baena netted two forehands, while trying to hit through the Italian’s skidding spins and conceded a break point. Berrettini followed up two massive forehands with a delicate, unreachable drop shot and secured the break.

Carballes Baena was far from discouraged, and fired two forehand winners dashing to 0 40  with the Italian serving for the set.

Berrettini was lucky to save the first break point with a forehand that pinched the top of the net, and trickled over. Then he hit two winning first serves to draw even. Then again two first serves paired with their loyal forehand winner: Berrettini’s copyright gamepattern sealed a 59 minute first set.

The match seemed about to swing round at the very start of the second set when Carballes Baena had three break points and was winning all the longer rallies. Once more Berrettini got out of trouble thanks to his serve. Carballes Baena’s disappointment turned into frustration after he failed to put away two quite comfortable smashes and lost his service immediately after.  

Unforced errors were seeping into the Spaniard’s game and when Berrettini won a 16-shot rally with a stunning crosscourt forehand on the stretch and went on to grab a two-break lead, the match appeared to have taken its final twist.

Berrettini did not falter when serving for the match at 5 2, despite an unforced error on the first point. Three first serves chauffeured him to two match points.

Carballes Baena only succeeded in bravely saving the first, well steering the rally. But the 2021 Wimbledon finalist produced a massive serve out wide and joyfully lifted his arms to the sky, for a most emotional victory. It means so much to a player whose talent and career have been incessantly diminished by injuries.

It’s been a tough last couple of years” Matteo Berrettini said, holding the trophy. “Thanks to my team I was able to overcome all the tough moments my body didn’t allow me to play. I thank you and all the people that made my comeback possible: all my friends and my family, the people that were with me all the time when I was sad, injured and I didn’t think I could make it.”

Continue Reading

ATP

Andrey Rublev Reflects On Recent Struggles Ahead Of Monte Carlo Title Defence

Published

on

Andrey Rublev admits he continues to struggle to maintain his emotions on the court after his disqualification from a tournament earlier this year.

The Russian world No.6 hopes to get back on track after a disappointing American swing where he won just one out of three matches played. In Indian Wells, Rublev beat ex-No.1 Andy Murray before falling in straight sets to Jiri Lehecka. Then in Miami, he lost his opening match against Tomas Machac. 

“At Indian Wells, I was so focused on trying to control my movements that I was completely stuck,” the 26-year-old recently commented
“I had no energy left, I had no strength. And in Miami, I exploded. I could no longer control myself, my actions, my nerves. I felt paralyzed, I couldn’t move.”

As to why Rublev felt so paralyzed, he acknowledges it could be linked to an incident that happened earlier in the season. At the Dubai Tennis Championships he was defaulted from his semi-final clash against Alexander Bublik for unsportsmanlike conduct after he was accused of saying an obscenity in his native language at an official. He then successfully appealed against the penalty and retained the ranking points and prize money he earned, barring a fine of $36,400 for a code violation.

“Maybe what happened in Dubai remains in my mind,” said Rublev. 

Rublev’s focus now switches to his title defence at the Monte Carlo Masters. It is the only Masters 1000 event he has won so far in his career. 

“I feel better. These last two weeks I have been training a lot. But it’s one thing to train well, it’s another to play well in a match.” He evaluated of his current form. 

Rublev has yet to defend a Tour-level title so far in his career. Should he do so, he will become only the fifth player in the Open Era to win multiple Monte Carlo trophies. 

Continue Reading

Trending