Roger Federer Makes Vow To Tennis Fans Ahead Of His Final Match At The Laver Cup - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Hot Topics

Roger Federer Makes Vow To Tennis Fans Ahead Of His Final Match At The Laver Cup

The Swiss maestro spoke to the world’s media during what was one of the last press conferences of his career.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via twitter.com/lavercup

Roger Federe has assured his army of fans that he has no plans to become a ‘tennis ghost’ as he prepares to play the final match of his illustrious career. 

 

The Swiss 41-year-old announced last week that he will be retiring at the Laver Cup after playing on the Tour since 1998. His decision ends one of the most successful careers in the history of tennis. He has won 103 Tour titles, including 20 Grand Slams, and holds the record as the oldest ATP No.1 in history.

Earlier this week Federer confirmed that his farewell match will take place at The O2 in London on Friday where he will participate in a doubles match on the first day of the Laver Cup. It is still to be confirmed who he will play alongside but long-time rivals Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are the most likely players he will partner with. 

Whilst he is stepping into the world of retirement, a grateful Federer says he has ‘fallen in love with too many things’ to completely vanish from the sport. Hinting that he will continue to be a prominent figure over the coming years in some capacity. 

“I just wanted to let the fans know I won’t be a ghost. It’s funny, I spoke about Bjorn Borg, he didn’t return to Wimbledon for 25 years and that hurts every fan,” Federer told reporters in London on Wednesday
“But I don’t think I’ll be that guy. I feel tennis has given me too much. I have been around the game for too long. Have fallen in love with too many things.
“You’ll see me again. In what capacity, I don’t know. Still have to think about it a little bit, give myself some time.”

It remains to be seen how Federer might remain involved in the sport. Although his Team8 management company is the co-founder of the Laver Cup. Furthermore, during a recent interview with the Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger, he expressed an interest of potentially going into broadcasting. 

“I never thought I would say this but six months ago I suddenly thought (about) commentating on tennis someday. Who knows? Although I always said I would never do that,” he said. 

The decision to retire has been a process in the making for the former world No.1 who hasn’t played as a match since his quarter-final loss at Wimbledon last year due to a knee injury. 

“It was about time that I retired. I think a moment like this doesn’t come overnight. It was a process – an emotional one – which at the end I thought we managed well, with the family, the team, my closest friends,” said Federer.
“It all worked out and here we are now at the Laver Cup. But it was definitely more a highly unusual last few weeks for me.”

Federer continues to have limitations due to his knee. Hence why he is pulling the curtain on his career at the Laver Cup instead of the Swiss indoors in his native Basel which will take place in October. Under the current arrangement, he has agreed to play once in a doubles match on Friday in the Laver Cup before Matteo Berretini takes his place in the competition. 

“It is clear that the most beautiful thing would be to play doubles here with Nadal, because it has been my great rivalry,” he said.

Although London remains a city close to Federer’s heart. The venue of the Laver Cup is where he has won multiple ATP Finals titles, as well as its close location to Wimbledon which Federer has won more times than any male player in history. 

“I think it’s going to be great just because the city has given me two World Tour Finals victories here to close out an incredible year that I probably already had those years. And then down the road at Wimbledon winning there eight times plus juniors.” He said. 
“This city and its fans have given me a lot so I thought it was fitting to end it here. I will not stop playing tennis, it’s just I will not play for points any more. I will keep on playing with my children, with my friends, hope to play exhibitions in the future and just still keep on promoting the game and playing in places I’ve never played before. So I’m really looking forward to that as well in the future.”

During his career Federer spent a record 237 consecutive weeks as world number one from 2004 to 2008. 

Hot Topics

Nick Kyrgios’ Legal Team Seek To Dismiss Assault Charge On Mental Health Grounds

Kyrgios legal team say the application has been submitted after ‘reviewing’ his medical history since 2015.

Avatar

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios (AUS) playing against Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) in the third round of the Gentlemen's Singles on No.1 Court at The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day 6 Saturday 03/07/2021. Credit: AELTC/Jonathan Nackstrand

There has been a new twist in the ongoing assault case involving Nick Kyrgios with his lawyers formally requesting that the charge be dismissed on the grounds of his mental health. 

 

The Wimbledon runner-up is accused of ‘common assault’ by his former girlfriend Chiara Passari concerning an incident which allegedly took place in December 2021. In the worst-case scenario, those convicted of such offences can face up to two years in prison in extreme cases.

At a court hearing on Tuesday Kyrgios’ lawyer, Michael Kukulies-Smith, applied for the ACT Magistrates Court to deal with his charge under Section 334 of the Crimes Act, which gives the court the power to dismiss a charge where it is satisfied the accused is mentally impaired. 

An adjournment has been granted for a mental health assessment to be conducted. Mr Kukulies-Smith said he has made such a request after reviewing Kyrgios’ ‘medical history since 2015, including public disclosure of his mental health struggles.’ 

The 27-year-old was not present in court for the hearing as he is currently participating in the Tokyo Open where he will play his first round match against Tseng Chun-Hsin later today. Before the start of the tournament, he told reporters that it is ‘not difficult at all’ for him to focus despite his ongoing court case. 

“There’s only so much I can control and I’m taking all the steps and dealing with that off the court,” said Kyrgios.
“I can only do what I can and I’m here in Tokyo and just trying to play some good tennis, continue that momentum and just try to do my job – and that’s play tennis, play it well. That’s it.”

The court case is set to resume on February 3rd when a hearing will take place regarding the application for it to be dismissed. For legal cases to be thrown out on grounds of mental health, they must be approved by the director of public prosecutions. 

Kyrgios is not required to attend in person but his lawyer said he intends do so.

“My client’s preference is to attend in person,” Mr Kukulies-Smith said.

Earlier this year, Kyrgilos spoke publicly about his mental health struggles in a post published on social media. In it, he revelled that in the past he has dealt with self-harm and suicidal thoughts. 

Continue Reading

Focus

Iga Swiatek Demands Talks With ITF And WTA After Withdrawing From Billie Jean King Cup

Iga Swiatek is not happy with the ITF and WTA after withdrawing from the Billie Jean King Cup Finals.

Avatar

Published

on

Iga Swiatek (@IgaSwi_France - Twitter)

The world number one has announced that she will not compete at the Billie Jean King Cup Finals in November after criticising tennis’ governing bodies for not looking after player welfare.

 

The event is set to take place the week after the WTA Finals in Glasgow which causes a huge problem and obstacle for many players.

This is definitely the case for Swiatek who has qualified for the WTA Finals which takes place in Texas on the 31st of October.

A huge dilemma which now means Swiatek will not compete for her country at the Billie Jean King Cup.

Speaking on Instagram the Pole criticised the decision from the ITF and WTA and wants to speak to them about player welfare to prevent future decisions from happening, “I was thinking it through a lot and discussing it with my team all over again, but I will not be able to play at the Billie Jean King Cup in Glasgow,” Swiatek said in her Instagram story.

“And it makes me sad. I’m very sorry because I play for Poland whenever it’s possible and I always give it my best. Playing in Poland this year was an honour and I hoped to do this again at the end of the season.

“I’m disappointed that tennis governing bodies didn’t come to an agreement on something as basic as the calendar of tournaments, giving us only one day to travel through the globe and changing the time zone. This situation is not safe for our health and could cause injury.

“I’m going to talk to the WTA and ITF in order to change something. This situation is difficult not only for the players like me, but mainly for the tennis fans that support our fans.”

It’s clear Swiatek wants change in terms of player welfare and communication between governing bodies on how to facilitate the schedule.

However Swiatek now turns her attention to preparing for the WTA Finals and first up for the Pole is Ostrava this week.

In her opening match Swiatek will face either Ajla Tomljanovic or Shuai Zhang.

Continue Reading

Focus

Cameron Norrie Withdraws From Tokyo After COVID Positive Test

Cameron Norrie will miss the rest of the Asian swing due to COVID.

Avatar

Published

on

Cameron Norrie (@the_LTA - Twitter)

After withdrawing from his quarter-final in Seoul, Cameron Norrie has now withdrawn from the ATP 500 event in Tokyo.

 

The Brit’s absence from the latter stages of the ATP 250 event in South Korea, raised eyebrows with Norrie suffering from illness.

However Norrie then withdraw from the ATP 500 event in Tokyo where he was due to play Thanasi Kokkinakis.

Now his absence has been explained as Norrie confirmed on social media that he tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement originally posted on Instagram, Norrie explained he had no symptoms but has to quarantine in his hotel room in Seoul, “Unfortunately I had a positive COVID test in Korea and wasn’t able to compete in the rest of my matches,” Norrie said.

“I have no symptoms and I am feeling 100%. It’s been a complicated situation and I appreciate the Republic of Korea trying their best to be amicable in a very tough situation.

“I was really hoping to go to Tokyo but because of the quarantine period I will not be able to play there. Looking forward to getting back to Europe for the indoors. See you guys soon!”

This is the second time Norrie has tested positive for COVID with the first time being before the start of the season.

Norrie’s scheduled next tournament will be in Stockholm which will take place on the 17th of October.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending