Former world No.1 Angelique Kerber admits that she is unable to pinpoint the exact reason behind her shock first round loss at the French Open on Sunday.
The world No.27 fell 6-2, 6-4, to Ukranian qualifier Anhelina Kalinina who had only ever won one main draw match in a Grand Slam prior to the tournament. Kerber produced 27 unforced errors which were five less than her rival. However, she struggled behind serve where she won just 45% of the points. Kerber has now failed to win back-to-back marches in three out of her past four tournaments played.
Speaking to reporters after the match, the candidly speaking German admitted that she ‘doesn’t know’ why she was unable to play at the level which she would have wanted. Despite being a two-time quarter-finalist at Roland Garros, she has now lost in the first round of the tournament three years in a row. Overall, she has made 14 appearances in Paris and recorded 17 main draw wins.
“I don’t know. I think I had a late start (to the match), especially because I started to play better in the second set,” said Kerber.
“I think she played good. I was not able to play my best tennis or like how I practiced in the last few days. I think I have to accept that and look forward to the next challenge.”
Since lifting her third Grand Slam title at the 2018 Wimbledon Championships, Kerber has only managed to reach the second week of a major in three out of 10 attempts. Two of those were at the Australian Open and one at the US Open.
Fortunately for Kerber her next challenge will be on the grass where she has enjoyed success. She has won more matches at Wimbledon than any other Grand Slam so far in her career.
“Now I will try to learn from the match now because I played good the last few weeks and I had good matches,” she reflected.
“I had the best preparation I could do in the last few weeks on clay but it’s fine.’
“I’m looking forward to Wimbledon for the grasscourt season, and it sounds much better for me. So I’m happy that the next Grand Slam is on grass.”
As for Kalinina, she will face former Australian Open semi-finalist Danielle Collins in the second round.
Alexander Zverev reaches the fourth round at Roland Garros for the fifth consecutive year
Alexander Zverev edged past Brandon Nakashima 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 7-6 (7-5) in a hard-fought match on Court Suzanne Lenglen to reach the fourth round for the fifth consecutive year at Roland Garros.
Zverev had reached the quarter finals in 2018 and 2019 and the semifinals in 2021.
Zverev had saved a match point and came back from two sets down to beat Sebastian Baez in the second round.
The match between Zverev and Nakashima featured just three breaks of serve, including a trade of breaks in the third set. Zverev fended off two break points in each of the first two sets.
Zverev broke in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead with a backhand winner and held serve to take a two-set lead. Zverev earned a break in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead, but Nakashima broke straight back to draw level to 3-3. Seven of the 12 points went against serve in the tie-break. Zverev came back from 2-4 down in the tie-break and closed out the tie-break 7-5 with a backhand winner after 2 hours and 48 minutes.
“I think I raised my level today. I prefer this compared to the second round thriller. This is much better for me. I don’t lose too much hair. I can still grow old”, said Zverev.
Doubles Player Dream French Open Debut Ended By Instagram Message
Portugal’s Francisco Cabral said he found out he will not be playing in Paris through social media.
Playing in the main draw of a Grand Slam is the pinnacle of many players’ careers but one player missed out on that opportunity due to an unfortunate situation.
Portugal’s Francisco Cabral was set to play in the men’s doubles tournament for the first time at this week’s French Open. The world No.72 is currently at a career-high after winning his maiden Tour title in Estoril last month with compatriot Nuno Borges. In Paris, he entered into the draw alongside Denmark’s Holger Rune.
However, shortly before he was set to make his Grand Slam debut Rune pulled out at the last minute. Leaving Cabral unable to look for another partner in such a short time. Rune’s withdrawal from the doubles was based on medical advice after he hurt his ankle during his second round clash against Henri Laaksonen. The Dane tripped over the court cover at the back of the court but fortunately wasn’t seriously injured and managed to continue playing.
“Right now I feel a huge sadness because it’s a dream to play in a Grand Slam tournament. I’ve been here since Saturday training, waiting, watching games, experiencing a new world because it was my first Grand Slam and it’s another dimension and I was really, really looking forward to being able to play,” Cabral told Raquetc. “And having waited until 15 minutes before game time to know that I wasn’t going to play after all, it cost me a lot, but I did everything I could.”
Caral went on to criticize the behavior of Rune who informed him that he would not be playing in the doubles event via a message sent on Instagram. It is unclear why the two never spoke face-to-face.
“He only told me that he had sprained his foot, that he was at the doctor’s, and that he had told him not to play the doubles. I’m sad about his attitude because he didn’t even say this to my face, he just sent me a message on Instagram. I don’t think it went well, but as I said, I couldn’t have done anything differently, so I’ll just wait for the next opportunity.” He said.
25-year-old Cabral is targeting Wimbledon as the event where he will play his first main draw match.
Meanwhile, Rune will continue his singles campaign at Roland Garros on Saturday when he plays Hugo Gaston in the third round. The former world No.1 junior has shot up the rankings this season to a high of 40th.
Cabral and Rune has been replaced in the draw by Sander Arends and Szymon Walków.
Seven Top 10 Seeds Fail To Reach Third Round Of Women’s Draw In French Open First
The series of high-profile exits has set a new milestone but for the wrong reasons.
The first five days of this year’s French Open have been tough going for some of the world’s best players on the women’s Tour.
A series of shock early losses has opened up parts of the women’s draw with 14 out of the last 32 players remaining in the tournament being unseeded. Former champions Garbine Muguruza and Barbora Krejcikova fell in the first round, as well as fellow top 10 seeds Ons Jabeur and Anett Kontaveit. Then in the second round Maria Sakkari (No.4), Karolina Pliskova (No.8) and Danielle Collins (No.9) all crashed out.
Heading into the third round seven top 10 seeds have already been knocked out of the French Open which is a new record for Roland Garros. The tournament has featured draws including 10 or more seeds since 1978.
“I knew that I wanted to do well, but things are different every year and we have seen so many upsets over all these years,” Sakkari said following her exit.
“At this level you always have to accept that you cannot go deep in every single tournament or every single big tournament.”
Jabeur was tipped by some as a serious contender for the title this year before losing her opening match to an inspired Magda Linette. Prior to the tournament, she boasted a 17-3 record on the clay this year, winning the Madrid Open title and reaching the final of two other events (Charleston and Rome).
“I wanted to go as far as I could in the tournament because I played well on clay in Madrid and in Rome, and it’s difficult to take that one in,” she said. ”But that’s what sport is like and you need to be smart enough to move forward and get back on court.’
“Maybe it was a good thing to lose. I would rather say this and be really tough with myself than waste all the good energy that I got from Madrid and Rome.”
In recent years the French Open women’s tournament has been full of unpredictability. The past three editions being won by players who didn’t hold a major title of any sort (in singles) coming into the draw.
One player who has managed to buckle the trend of inconsistency is world No.1 Iga Swiatek who has won 30 matches in a row. The fourth longest streak on the WTA Tour since 2000 after both of the Williams sisters and Justine Henin. Swiatek is also the first player to win 13 or more matches in a row whilst at the top of the rankings since Serena Williams back in 2015.
“I was saying from the beginning that for sure I’m going to reach a point where I’m going to lose a match, and it’s pretty normal,” Swiatek said following her 6-0, 6-2, triumph over Alison Riske.
“I have been losing matches in tennis for a long time. For sure the things we (my team) are doing right now are pretty extraordinary but I know in tennis that only one person wins in the end.’
“I will be okay with that. For sure it’s not fun to lose, but I think it wouldn’t be different than any other loss that I had, you know, in my career.”
Other top 10 seeds remaining in this year’s draw are Paula Badosa and Aryna Sabalenka.
Meanwhile, in the men’s draw all top 12 seeds have reached the third round for the first time since 2009.
Daniil Medvedev Hails Latest French Open Win As His Best Yet
‘Hurt More Than My Injury’ – Alize Cornet’s Potential Last French Open Marred By Crowd Booing
Iga Swiatek Passes On chance To Attend Champions League Final To Focus On French Open Bid
Carlos Alcaraz Sweeps Away Korda At French Open
Roland Garros Daily Preview: Iga Swiatek Goes for her 31st Consecutive Victory
Simona Halep Unsurprised By Mass Exit Of Top Seeds At Madrid Open
‘Time To Accept The Situation And Fight’ – Rafael Nadal Targets French Open Despite Foot Concern
Carlos Alcaraz showcases the changing landscape of men’s tennis
Daria Kasatkina Praises New Racket After Discovering Form Ahead Of Roland Garros
Alexander Zverev Hoping For Long Collaboration With New Coach Bruguera
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
ATP1 day ago
Doubles Player Dream French Open Debut Ended By Instagram Message
Focus2 days ago
EXCLUSIVE: The Reality Of Life As A Tennis Journalist Living In War-Torn Ukraine
Hot Topics3 days ago
ATP Structure Has Failed Players Multiple Times, Says World No.1 Djokovic
Latest news2 days ago
Simona Halep Suffers Rare Panic Attack During French Open Loss
Latest news3 days ago
‘Great Things Are Going To Happen’ – Maria Sakkari Finds Silver Lining In Shock French Open Loss
Focus3 days ago
Rafael Nadal Eases His Way To 300th Grand Slam Win At French Open
Focus3 days ago
Carlos Alcaraz Praises Mental and Physical Strength After Epic Win At Roland Garros
Focus2 days ago
Diego Schwartzman survives in five but Taylor Fritz and Fabio Fognini out