David Goffin Reveals Loss Of Motivation Following French Open Exit - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

David Goffin Reveals Loss Of Motivation Following French Open Exit

The world No.12 says he is running on empty and is lacking energy on the Tour.

Published

on

Belgium’s top tennis player has revealed that the ongoing uncertainty of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on his mental state.

David Goffin crashed out in the first round of the French Open on Sunday to Italian rising star Jannik Sinner in what is his earliest exit since 2014. The 10th seed appeared to be flat throughout his latest encounter as he hit four double faults and 43 unforced errors during his comprehensive 7-5, 6-0, 6-3, loss. Making it the second time he has lost to the 19-year-old after also doing so at the Rotterdam Open back in February.

Although it appears that there is a more significant problem for Goffin besides the loss after he admitted to a lack of motivation concerning playing on the Tour. Something he attributes to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent testing he has to undergo every week.

“We are constantly concerned, before every tournament, we are in the expectation. If we have a positive, negative result, it’s the same for your team, the rules are different from one country to another, travel, with your staff. And then, in your private life too, it’s not easy,” Goffin told reporters in French.
“The hardest thing for me is to keep my mind fresh, and to be able to give everything on the court. I’m running empty. I have no energy.”

The former top 10 player says his motivation battle is one he has been facing over recent weeks. Although he fared well last month at the US Open where he reached the fourth round before losing to Denis Shapovalov. The problems appear to have mounted from the time he left North America for Europe.

“I had to do something before Roland Garros. I thought: I’m really trying to motivate myself, get back in shape in my training strikes, etc,” he said.
“I’m trying hard, to try to make it (lack of motivation) go, because it wasn’t going too well. It’s more a mental state where I feel a little between tired, demotivated, and away at home.
“If there is not that flame and energy, right now, my game, I can’t compensate for anything else,”

Goffin’s revelation has caught some off guard and goes against one common expectation that players would be more motivated than before given how the season has gone. The ATP Tour was halted for five months earlier this year due to the pandemic. During that time players were unable to earn money and many had to rely on emergency funding from the governing bodies and national associations.

“It’s complicated. I don’t know. It’s true that the desire to play is there, but in a match, I see that there is not the motivation and the flame to really hang on all the points,” he explained.
“That’s kind of the feeling. I need it, I have to be in a really good frame of mind to try to hang on, and win every game. That’s not there. Even if sometimes it goes well in training, and sometimes less well, the main thing is in a match, and I have the pleasure of playing there; and there I do not.”

The only consolation for the 29-year-old is that the season is nearly over. Although when asked if he will be able to rediscover this momentum before the year ends, Goffin wasn’t entirely hopeful.

“There are three or four weeks left, three or four tournaments left. We will try to find pleasure first, and motivation, to try to perform well. Without it, I can’t do it,” Goffin concluded.

Despite his loss, the French Open remains Goffin’s most successful Grand Slam in terms of matches won along with the US Open. At both of those majors he has won 16 main draw matches.

ATP

Carlos Alcaraz In Doubt For Madrid Open Title Defence

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz admits that he is not certain if he will be ready in time to play at next week’s Madrid Masters.

The 20-year-old is yet to play a clay tournament in Europe due to a forearm injury which ruled him out of both Monte Carlo and Barcelona. He hurt his right arm whilst training shortly before the Monte Carlo event began. 

It is the latest in a series of injury issues that has affected Alcaraz throughout his young career. Since the start of 2023, he has also been derailed by issues with his abdominal, hamstring, post-traumatic arthritis in his left hand and muscular discomfort in his spine. 

“My feeling isn’t right, but it is what it is. Now I’m fully focused on recovery and I have a little more time,” Alcaraz told reporters in Barcelona on Monday.
“My goal is to try and go to the Madrid Open, but at the moment nothing is certain. I was given specific recovery times and I’ve respected them, but I haven’t felt good. I don’t want to get ahead of myself.
“I can’t say I’ll be 100% in Madrid, but that’s my intention. We’ll train and do everything we can so that the feelings improve so I can play a match … It’s also a very special tournament for me.”

Alcaraz has won the past two editions of the Madrid Open, which is classed as a Masters 1000 event. In 2022 he defeated Alexander Zverev in the final and then 12 months later he beat Jan-Lennard Struff in the title match.

The setback comes after what has been a steady start to the year for Alcaraz who has reached the quarter-finals or better in four out of five tournaments played. He successfully defended his title in Indian Wells and then reached the semi-finals in Miami. 

Should he not play in Madrid, it is likely that the Spaniard will lose his No.2 spot to Jannik Sinner who is just over 100 points behind him in the standings. He will still have the chance to play a clay-court event before the French Open with Rome taking place early next month. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Olympic Qualification Is Not the Only Goal For French Veteran Gael Monfils

Published

on

Gael Monfils (image via https://twitter.com/atptour)

Gael Monfils admits he doesn’t have too many years left on the Tour but this doesn’t mean his targets are any less ambitious. 

The 37-year-old has enjoyed a rapid rise up the rankings over the past 12 months following battles with injury. At his lowest, he was ranked 394th last May but is now in 40th position. As a result, he is closing on securing a place in the Olympic Games which is being held in his home country of France for the first time since 1924. The tennis event will be staged at Roland Garros. 

“When I was 400, I was thinking the Olympics would be great, but it’s going to be tough,” Monfils told reporters on Tuesday. 
“There are younger players playing well. If I don’t qualify, I don’t mind. It will just mean I’m very close to the ranking I want to be. That ranking will allow me to find another goal.”

Monfils is already a three-time Olympian but has never won a medal at the event. He reached the quarter-finals of the singles tournament twice in 2008 and 2016. 

Another goal of Frenchmen is the Wimbledon championships which concludes just three weeks before the Olympics begin. The proximity of these tournaments will be a challenge to all players who will be going from playing on clay to grass and then back to clay again. 

“I really want to go and play Wimbledon. I don’t have so many Wimbledons to play in the future. The Olympics is one goal, not the only goal.” Monfils states.
“My dream is of course to be part of the Olympics. I played three times at the Olympics. I’d like to be there again. But I also really want to do well in Wimbledon this year. To reach my goal, it has to be including Wimbledon.” He added. 

Monfils is currently playing at the Monte Carlo Masters where he beat Aleksandar Vukic in his opening match. In the next round, he will take on Daniil Medvedev in what will be their first meeting since 2022. He leads their head-to-head 2-1. 

Medvedev has openly spoken about his roller-coaster relationship with playing on the clay. He admits it is not his favourite surface but how much of a factor could this be in his upcoming clash with Monfils?

“Of course, it’s not his favourite one, but he’s still Daniil Medvedev, and whatever the surface, it’s always very complicated to play him,” Monfils concludes. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Matteo Berrettini wins in Marrakech displaying quality tennis

Published

on

Matteo Berrettini - Marrakech 2024 (photo X @ATPTour_ES)

Matteo Berrettini defeats Roberto Carballes Baena in straight sets, 75 62, and proves that his comeback is well grounded  

If life is often considered a continuous narrative, it may be no coincidence that today Matteo Berrettini’s comeback journey intersescted Carballes Baena, a player he had faced twice in straight tournaments, Florence and Naples in October 2022, shortly before plunging into his annus horribilis, an injury-plagued 2023.

Just like resuming the story from where it was left.

Carballes Baena, the defending champion, got off to a sharper start, holding serve with ease and earning a first break point in the second game. Berrettini averted the threat by hammering down three serves but lost his service two games later.

Doubts on the Italian’s recovery from his energy-draining semifinal may have been starting to come afloat. However Berrettini broke back immediately, unsettling the Spaniard’s consistency with changes of pace and alternating lifted and sliced backhands.

The next six games neatly followed serve. Figures witness how close the match was. After 45 minutes the scoreboard read 5 games all, and stats reported 27 points apiece.

The eleventh game was to be crucial. Carballes Baena netted two forehands, while trying to hit through the Italian’s skidding spins and conceded a break point. Berrettini followed up two massive forehands with a delicate, unreachable drop shot and secured the break.

Carballes Baena was far from discouraged, and fired two forehand winners dashing to 0 40  with the Italian serving for the set.

Berrettini was lucky to save the first break point with a forehand that pinched the top of the net, and trickled over. Then he hit two winning first serves to draw even. Then again two first serves paired with their loyal forehand winner: Berrettini’s copyright gamepattern sealed a 59 minute first set.

The match seemed about to swing round at the very start of the second set when Carballes Baena had three break points and was winning all the longer rallies. Once more Berrettini got out of trouble thanks to his serve. Carballes Baena’s disappointment turned into frustration after he failed to put away two quite comfortable smashes and lost his service immediately after.  

Unforced errors were seeping into the Spaniard’s game and when Berrettini won a 16-shot rally with a stunning crosscourt forehand on the stretch and went on to grab a two-break lead, the match appeared to have taken its final twist.

Berrettini did not falter when serving for the match at 5 2, despite an unforced error on the first point. Three first serves chauffeured him to two match points.

Carballes Baena only succeeded in bravely saving the first, well steering the rally. But the 2021 Wimbledon finalist produced a massive serve out wide and joyfully lifted his arms to the sky, for a most emotional victory. It means so much to a player whose talent and career have been incessantly diminished by injuries.

It’s been a tough last couple of years” Matteo Berrettini said, holding the trophy. “Thanks to my team I was able to overcome all the tough moments my body didn’t allow me to play. I thank you and all the people that made my comeback possible: all my friends and my family, the people that were with me all the time when I was sad, injured and I didn’t think I could make it.”

Continue Reading

Trending