ATP Monte-Carlo: Fognini recovers from a set and a break down to beat Sousa - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

ATP Monte-Carlo: Fognini recovers from a set and a break down to beat Sousa

Avatar

Published

on

 

TENNIS – Last year’s ATP Monte-Carlo semifinalist and World Number 13 Fabio Fognini recovered from 5-7, 2-5 0-30 to overcome Joao Sousa from Portugal in three sets with the scoreline of 5-7, 7-5, 6-4 in the first round of the Monte-Carlo Rolex Master, the first European Master 1000 tournament on clay of the year. Diego Sampaolo

On the verge of defeat Fognini reeled off five games in a row to win the second set with 7-5 to force the match to the third set where he raised the game winning 6-4 after a two-hour and 20-minute roller-coaster match.

Fognini has been one of the most consistent players in the circuit on clay where he collected three ATP titles since last July in Stuttgart, Hamburg and Vina Del Mar, reached the final in Umago and Buenos Aires and reached the quarter final in Rio de Janeiro where he lost to Aleksander Dolgopolov and beat Andy Murray in the Davis Cup quarter final match between Italy and Great Britain in Naples. He boasts a 21-6 record of winning matches this year (including 14 wins on clay in 16 matches this year) tying the third place with Rafa Nadal. However he had to dig deep against World Number 38 Joao Sousa who came close to score a major upset against last year’s Monte-Carlo semifinalist from Arma di Taggia, a small town not far away from Monte-Carlo.

Sousa, who made his debut in Monte-Carlo this year but reached the quarter final in Rio de Janeiro last February and advanced to the third round in Miami, held serve in the first game before breaking in the second game to storm to a 2-0 in the opening set but Fognini broke straight back before getting another break to build up a 5-3 lead. Sousa turned around the match winning 16 points to 2 to clinch the first set with 7-5.

Sousa recovered by reeling off six games to build up a 7-5, 2-0 lead. Fognini broke back winning the next two games to draw level to 2-2 but Sousa got the break to go up 4-2. Fognini was two points away from defeat when Sousa served for the match at 5-2 30-0 as the Italian was on serve. Fognini broke serve when Sousa hit his forehand into the net. Fognini raised the game breaking serve to love at 5-5 before sealing the win the second set with 7-5.

Fognini did not play at the same level as in the Davis Cup match against Murray but managed to break serve for 3-2 and held serve in the next game. Sousa did not give up and earned a break point at 4-5. Fognini saved it before sealing the win on his first match point

It was not the first time that Fognini survived a big scare this year as he saved two match points against Gael Monfils in the third round at Indian Wells.

The first match always very difficult, especially because I came here after the Davis Cup. I fell confident. Everybody say that I can reach the top-10 but I don’t fell fell more pressure. I was a bit lucky today. At 5-4 I felt heavy legs. I had no strength. I felt a bit tired after playing many matches this year”, said Fognini

In the other morning matches at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Master Radek Stepanek dropped just three games to cruise past Ivo Karlovic with 6-1, 6-2 in just 58 minutes to set up a second round match against Roger Federer on Wednesday.

German Phillip Kohlschreiber beat Italian Simone Bolelli 6-3, 6-4 to set up a second round match against Jo Wilfred Tsonga.

ATP

Filip Krajinovic To Skip Australian Open If Required To Quarantine For More Than Five Days

The world No.34 says he ‘sees no reason’ why vaccinated players should have to go through a long quarentine in Australia.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via twitter.com/atptour (Alexander Scheuber)

The second highest-ranked Serbian player in men’s tennis says it would be ‘unacceptable’ for organisers of the Australian Open to require players to quarantine for more than a week if they have been fully vaccinated.

 

Filip Krajinovic has become the first player to publicly state that they will not be prepared to travel to Melbourne at the end of this season if they have to go through strict quarantine measures once again. All the players who participated in this year’s Australian Open were required to be quarantined in a designated hotel for 14 days upon arrival in the country. During their stay they were allowed to use training facilities but that was the only time they could leave the premises unless there was an emergency.

There is no final decision regarding the travel requirements for the 2022 tournament but there are concerns that unvaccinated players may not be allowed to enter the country. The Victorian government recently issued a mandate ordering all essential workers to be vaccinated, including athletes. However, the regional government will not have the final say concerning tennis players arriving in the country with the national government being the ones in charge of that decision.

“They are very rigorous there and honestly, if I have to be in quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Melbourne, I will not go to Australia,” Krajinovic told Serbian newspaper Blic.
“I was vaccinated, I did everything in my power to protect myself and the people around me, so I really see no reason to sit there for 14 days in a room.’
“If they (the organisers) say that after arrival I need, say, five days to be in isolation, that’s OK for me, but anything beyond that is unacceptable to me. With the season ending late, I will have 20 days to get ready and go. Charter flights will be organized again and the last one is planned for December 28 for the players and that is the final date when I can go to Australia. I will see what the final decision from Melbourne will be, so I will cut what is the best thing to do.”

Earlier this week Victoria’s Sports minister Martin Pakula urged players to be vaccinated because it give them ‘the best opportunity to play in the Australian Open.’ It is expected that if unvaccinated players are allowed to attend, they will be subjected to stricter restrictions. This might include a longer quarantine period upon arrival and limitations of where they can go during their stay.

Last year, all of those players had to do their 14 days of quarantine. Right now there looks like there will be different rules for people who enter this country who are vaccinated as against unvaccinated and I don’t think the tennis will be any exception to that.” Pakula told the Sports Entertainment Network (SEN).
“In terms of what rules apply for people to enter Australia, whether unvaccinated people are allowed in at all, I don’t the answer to that yet. That’s going to be the subject of discussion at national cabinet and among the federal cabinet … those rules are not set by state governments.” He added.

Krajinovic is currently ranked 34th in the world and has a win-loss record this season of 18-18. At the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells he reached the second round before falling in straight sets to Daniil Medvedev. His best run so far this year was at the Hamburg Open where he reached the final.

“When we look at the whole of 2021, I played one final, one semifinal, there were good victories, but also worse results,” the 29-year-old commented.

Krajinovic is currently without a coach but is currently in ‘negotiations’ with somebody without elaborating further about who that person is.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Zverev Secures Place In ATP Finals With Indian Wells Win

Zverev will be seeking to win the season-ending extravaganza for the second time in his career.

Avatar

Published

on

Alexander Zverev (GER) Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Germany’s Alexander Zverev has become the fourth player to officially qualify for the ATP Finals after reaching the third round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

 

The world No.4 defeated America’s Jenson Brooksby 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, in his second round match on Sunday which pushed him over the points threshold to secure his spot in the end-of-season event. It is the fifth year in a row he has qualified for the ATP Finals which he won back in 2018. He is one of only three German players to ever win the title after Boris Becker and Michael Stich.

This year’s tournament will take place in Turin, Italy for the first time in history after being held at The O2 Arena in London for more than a decade. Only the eight highest ranked players are eligible to play in the round-robin tournament which has on offer up to 1500 rankings points for an undefeated champion.

“My first time in Turin. I’ve been to London four times before. London is obviously very special to me because I won there, as well. I think the stadium is incredible, one of the most special events that we had,” Zverev told reporters on Sunday.
“But I also love playing in Italy. I had great success in Italy. I won my first Masters in Rome. I’m looking forward to being there. I’m looking forward to playing in front of the Italian fans. It’s going to be a great week.”

The 24-year-old approaches the final quarter of this season with four titles already won this year. He has won two Masters 1000 trophies, an ATP 500 event in Mexico and a gold medal in singles at the Tokyo Olympic Games. Zverev, who has recorded seven wins over top 10 players, also reached the semi-finals at both the French Open and US Open.

Zverev joins Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev and Stefanos Tsitsipas as the players who have qualified for the ATP Finals so far. It is the third straight season the quartet has qualified for the event.

This year’s ATP Finals will get underway on November 14th. Medvedev is the defending champion.

Continue Reading

ATP

Denis Shapovalov Advances After Pospisil Retires In Indian Wells

The battle of the two Canadians didn’t go as planned…

Avatar

Published

on

Denis Shapovalov (CAN) Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Vasek Pospisil faced off against his fellow Canadian Denis Shapovalov in the second round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and it was the world number 13 who got the win after the Vernon native pulled out due to an injury whilst trailing 0-3.

 

It was a rough start for Pospisil who seemed to struggle with his serve in the opening game of the match and double-faulted twice in a row to give the early break and Shapovalov had no issues consolidating the break.

Shapovalov continued to apply pressure on the Pospisil serve and after saving two breakpoints the world number 68 pulled up after a serve and stopped play, calling for the trainer. He ended up taking a medical timeout off the court and a couple of minutes later returned to court. Pospisil was broken once again and the following game after a couple of returns decided to call it quits.

” It was pretty awful…and if I’m being honest I am shaking a bit…It really sucks I hope it’s nothing serious…He’s a great guy he’s a real warrior he’s fought back from some injuries surgeries to such a great level.” Shapovalov said of his compatriot.

Shapovalov will face 19th seed Aslan Karatsev in the next round after the Russian thrashed Salvatore Caruso 6-2, 6-0.

In the other results of the day sixth seeed Casper Ruud dominated Roberto Carballes Baena 6-1, 6-2, Roberto Bautista Agut beat the Argentine Guido Pella 7-5, 6-3 and Sebastien Korda won an all American battle with Frances Tiafoe 6-0, 6-4.

Finally, Diego Schwartzman needed three sets to beat another American in Maxime Cressy winning 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending