Bits & Pieces from the World of Tennis: 14th of April 2014 - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Bits & Pieces from the World of Tennis: 14th of April 2014

Avatar

Published

on

TENNIS – Bits & Pieces from the Wolrd of Tennis. Cornet and Garcia fly the flag for France in the WTA and Spain collects 2 ATP titles. Maria Sharapova starts a new business venture and the Bryans a 3 titles away from the century. Joshua Bosco

 

Winners in Katowice, Bogotá, Casablanca & Houston

In Katowice Alize Cornet saved a match point to defeat Camila Giorgi, who was playing in her first WTA final, 7-6(3) 5-7 7-5 after a tightly contested match. It was Cornet’s fourth career title and third time lucky against an Italian player in a final, having previously lost to Flavia Pennetta (Acapulco 2008) and Francesca Schiavone (Strasbourg 2012).

In Bogotá another French player won the trophy with Caroline Garcia beating World No.9 Jelena Jankovic 6-3 6-4. This was Garcia’s first WTA-level final and a perfect ending for her fantastic week in Colombia, where she also won the doubles title on Saturday – again in her first ever doubles final.

In an all-Spanish final in Casablanca, No.8 seed Guillermo Garcia Lopez won his third career title defeating No.4 seed Marcel Granollers 5-7 6-4 6-3 in a match lasting over two and a half hours.

In another Spanish contest in Houston, Fernando Verdasco beat Nicolas Almagro 6-4 7-6(4). Verdasco saved five break points in the second set when serving on 4-5 to push the set to a tiebreak in which he won the last four points to come back from a minibreak down and close the match in 1h 53m.

Who’s playing where

The ATP Tour heads back to Monte Carlo this week for the beginning of the three month clay and grass European swing.

The Top 6 players in the world (Nadal, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Federer, Berdych and Ferrer) will all be in the main draw this year, after Federer accepted a surprise late wild card earlier this week following a two-year absence from the prestigious tournament.

The other two Top 8 seeds are Milos Raonic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, while notable absentees are Richard Gasquet (who withdrew with a back injury), Juan Martin del Potro (who is recovering from his wrist surgery), Andy Murray (who decided not to defend last year’s third round points), John Isner, Tommy Haas and Kei Nishikori.

Many women will play for their Fed Cup teams later this week, while some of them will fly to Kuala Lumpur for an International Series tournament.

In Kuala Lumpur, defending champion Karolina Pliskova will be joined by World No.10 Dominika Cibulkova, Zhang Shuai, Kimiko Date-Krumm and Donna Vekic while Andrea Hlavackova, Jovana Jaksic and Venus Williams have withdrawn before the start of the tournament.

In the Fed Cup semi-finals the Czech Republic (Kvitova, Safarova, Koukalova and Hlavackova) will take on Italy (Errani, Vinci, Knapp and Giorgi) in Ostrava, with the Italian team leading the Head2Head 5-4.
Germany (Kerber, Petkovic, Georges and Groenefeld) will visit Brisbane to face Australia (Stosur, Dellacqua, Barty and Sanders), with the Aussies leading the Head2Head 8-4.

Sharapova’s new venture

Maria Sharapova’s ranking may be sinking lately but her business empire is certainly on the rise: the Russian player will soon become the co-owner of Supergoop!, a skincare company which focuses on the prevention of skin cancer.

“I thought the idea of being an equity owner would be the next phase in my business development” said Sharapova, who launched her own brand of sweets, Sugarpova, back in 2012. 

97 times Bryan Brothers

The Bryan brothers are now just three tournaments away from their 100th title, after winning their 97th trophy together in Houston on Saturday.

The Bryans beat Spanish duo David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco 4-6 6-4 11-9 in the final, extending their winning streak to 17 matches.

ATP

Daniil Medvedev ‘Happy To Play Wimbledon’ If Ban Is Lifted

The world No.2 says he is willing to speak with other players about the situation ahead of his return to action following surgery.

Avatar

Published

on

Daniil Medvedev (RUS) in action against Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) in the first round of the Gentlemen's Singles on No.1 Court at The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day 2 Tuesday 29/06/2021. Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Daniil Medvedev says he is still hopeful that he might be able to play at this year’s Wimbledon Championships should officials at The All England Club decide to change their stance.

 

At present the reigning US Open champion will not be allowed to play at the grass court major due to his nationality. Officials at the Grand Slam have confirmed that Russian and Belarussian players have been banned from the event due to the war in Ukraine. Ian Hewitt, who is the chairman of The AELTC, said the action was taken in order to prevent ‘the propaganda machine of the Russian regime’ from potentially benefiting from their players’ success.

The ban is a controversial move for the sport which until now had a united approach when it came to allowing those players participate in tournaments but only as neutral athletes. Former Wimbledon champions Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokopvic and Andy Murray have all expressed some degree of opposition to the decision. Meanwhile, the ATP and WTA are considering the possibility of removing the allocation of ranking points at the event.

Speaking about the ban ahead of this week’s Geneva Open, Medvedev acknowledges that it is a ‘tricky situation’ but is still hopeful that a u-turn could occur which would allow him to play. The 26-year-old has made four main draw appearances at Wimbledon with his best result being a run to the fourth round last year.

“There has been a lot of talk around it. I just tried to follow what’s happening because I don’t have any decisions to make. It’s right now about Wimbledon itself, the ATP, maybe the British government is involved,” news agency AFP quoted Medvedev as telling reporters in Switzerland.
“It’s a tricky situation and like every situation in life, you ask 100 players, everybody’s going to give a different opinion.
“I can play: I’m going to be happy to play in Wimbledon. I love this tournament.
“I cannot play: well, I’m going to try to play other tournaments and prepare well for next year if I have the chance to play.”

The former world No.1 has been among a group of Russian players who have previously called for peace in the region. Although none of them have gone as far as publicly condemning the actions of their government. Something which has drawn criticism from Ukraine’s Elina Svitoliva.

“I had some time to follow what is happening, yeah, it’s very upsetting,” Medvedev commented on the war.

Geneva will be the first event Medvedev has played in since reaching the quarter-finals of the Miami Open. He took time away from the Tour to undergo hernia surgery but has confirmed he intends to play at next week’s French Open despite his lack of match play on the clay.

During his time at those events, the tennis star says he is more than happy to speak with other players about the Wimbledon ban should they want to.

“Since I haven’t been on the tour, I haven’t talked to any of them face to face. It was the first time when I came here on Saturday when I can talk to players, and if they start talking about this, we can discuss,” he said.
“I don’t know exactly what’s happening, what’s going to happen, if there are going to be more decisions made.
“Same about Wimbledon. I don’t know if this decision is 100 percent, and it’s over.”

Granted a bye in the first round, Medvedev will start his Geneva campaign against either Richard Gasquet or John Millman.

Continue Reading

ATP

Denis Shapovalov gets revenge win over Nadal to reach quarterfinals in Rome

The Canadian avenged a loss he suffered last year by beating the king of clay in the eternal city.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via Roberto Dell’Olivo

Denis Shapovalov booked his spot in the quarterfinals of the Italian Open after beating the world number four Rafael Nadal in three tight sets 1-6, 7-5, 6-2 in two hours and 36 minutes on Pista Centrale.

 

The Canadian fired 35 winners and served 13 aces while the Spaniard hit 34 unforced errors in a match that went back and forth.

“It’s definitely incredible to me to beat him. Having match points against him last year was kind of a hurtful feeling,” said Shapovalov who lost to the Spaniard at the same tournament 12 months ago. “Coming back here this year, I definitely remember that match. Obviously great tennis, but that one really hurt. Happy to get the win this time around”.

It was the Spaniard with the better start to the match, putting pressure right away on the world number 16 in the second game of the match and it took Shapovalov almost 10 minutes to save three breakpoints and hold serve.

At 2-1 Nadal kept pushing and struck setting up two breakpoints with his ferocious forehand and then broke the Toronto native with a solid backhand down the line winner.

After consolidating the break the world number four was hungry for more and again with his powerful forehand set up more break opportunities and broke again to take a 5-1 lead and served out the first set.

Shapovalov once again faced three breakpoints in the opening game of the second set but managed to save all of them and was able to hold serve. In the following game he broke Nadal to love for the early 2-0 lead.

He was able to consolidate the break but at 4-3 the Spaniard fought back and managed to break back to go back on serve. However, the Canadian at 6-5 was able to get the crucial break to take the second set and send the match to a third.

Nadal responded right away breaking the Canadian in the first game of the third set but the following game Shapovalov set up three breakpoints with a perfectly timed forehand winner.

He broke back the following point and at 3-2 Nadal struggled with his serve and double faulted to give the world number 16 a 4-2 lead as it seemed he was struggling with an injury.

After running down a ball he was seen hunched over at the towel box and was almost limping after points and wincing before serving or returning serve.

At 5-2 with the Spaniard serving to stay in the match and in pain, Shapovalov had three chances to seal the win and it was third time lucky as Nadal last shot went out.

I was trying to change something, he was completely outplaying me and I was hanging in there and I was really happy to turn it around,” said Shapovalov.

Shapovalov will next face Casper Ruud in the quarterfinals on Friday. In their last meeting the Norweigan was able to come out with the win when they played in the Geneva Open final last summer.

Continue Reading

ATP

After Multiple Surgeries, Comeback Kid Stan Wawrinka Books Djokovic Showdown In Rome

In only his third tournament of the year, 37-year-old Wawrinka admits the upcoming clash will be ‘really difficult’ but he is willing to give it his best shot.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/InteBNLdItalia/

Until now 15 months have passed since Stan Wawrinka last experienced the feeling of recording back-to-back wins in a tournament of any sort.

 

The three-time Grand Slam champion was sidelined from the sport for a year due a foot injury which ended up requiring two surgeries. The first was done in March last year before he underwent another procedure in June. The surgeries occurred just four years after he underwent two other operations on his left knee. Despite the physical problems and frustration, the Swiss isn’t giving up on his career just yet and is proving why at this week’s Italian Open.

A day after knocking out 14th seed Reilly Opelka, Wawrinka battled on court for almost three hours to oust Laslo Djere 7-6(8), 3-6, 6-4, in front of a highly animated crowd. The rollercoaster battle saw him fight back from a 1-3 deficit in the deciding set. Then four match points came and went before he finally prevailed. Booking his place in the last 16 of a Masters 1000 event for the first time since Paris 2020.

“It’s helping me to keep doing what I love. Tennis is a passion. The crowd, the support, the atmosphere, these courts is the reason why after two surgeries and one year out (of the Tour) I’m still playing tennis at 37. To live those moments as much as I can and I’m enjoying it a lot,” Wawrinka told atptour.com following his win over Djere.

At 361st in the world, Wawrinka has become the lowest-ranked player to reach the third round of a Masters event since Taylor Dent at the 2009 Miami Open. In Rome specifically, he is the lowest-ranked third round player since Carrado Borroni in 1995.

The reward is a clash with world No.1 Novak Djokovic in what will be a true test for Wawrinka. The two have an extensive rivalry after playing each other on the Tour 25 times before, including the finals of the 2015 French Open and the 2016 US Open. Djokovic currently leads their head-to-head 19-6 with their last meeting taking place in 2019.

“It’s always special to play against him,” Wawrinka said of the 20-time Grand Slam winner. “As I’ve said many times I’m not where I want to be yet with my game and fitness level. I need those matches.’
“To have a chance to play against the best player (in the ATP rankings) it’s going to be really difficult for me because I think I’m not ready to compete at that level. (But) it’s what I need. I need those challenges and push myself as much as I can to keep improving.”

Wawrinka’s win over Djere is his 535th on the ATP Tour and his 24th at the Italian Masters.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending