Benoit Paire Opens Up About Personal Struggles Following Madrid Win - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Benoit Paire Opens Up About Personal Struggles Following Madrid Win

The tennis star says there were mornings when he ‘couldn’t get out of bed’ before matches. He looks to be back on track in Madrid this week but admits he doesn’t know how long it will last for.

Avatar

Published

on

France’s Benoit Paire has said playing in front of fans at this week’s Madrid Open has helped him fall back in love with the game.

 

The world No.35 started his campaign at the Masters tournament on Tuesday with a straightforward 6-4, 7-5, win over Nikoloz Basilashvili. A player who was on a five-match winning streak after claiming the Munich Open title last week. For Paire, it was only the second time he has won a match on the Tour during what has been a roller-coaster season for the at times controversial player.

“It had been a very long time since I entered a court with people around me supporting me. Being in empty stadiums is not something that I like. So being in Madrid in a Davis Cup atmosphere with French people who support me from start to finish, it makes me feel good and makes me love tennis again. That’s why I play and it warms my heart,” Paire said during an interview with L’Equipe.

A former top 20 player, Paire has been caught up in controversy in recent weeks following a series of incidents. He was accused of tanking during one of his matches in South America where he also spat on the court. He has described the Tour ‘sad, boring and ridiculous,’ and earning money was his priority – “I arrive, I take some money and I go to the next tournament: I do my job”. Following his loss in Monte Carlo, he said the tennis circuit had become ‘rotten.’

“It’s a tough time for me. I have trouble feeling good in my head, in my legs, in my tennis … But I don’t just play for myself, I also play for the people who are there and who support me. I had to, for the recognition of this support, not to let go. It was not easy, I had to put myself in my head.’ He said.
“For me, it’s a bit like the start of my season.’
“I know that a lot of people criticized me and I really wanted to show them that they can be silent.”

The 31-year-old admits that he has struggled on the Tour mentally. Saying there were moments where he felt like he ‘couldn’t get out of bed’ on the morning of his matches. He believes his mental state is the reason why he hasn’t won many matches on the Tour in recent weeks and not his tennis abilities.

Whilst he seems to be back in a good mindset, Paire admits himself that he doesn’t know how long it may last given the different rules there are at various tournaments. In Madrid the venue is allowed to welcome up to 40% of its capacity in accordance with local covid-19 guidelines. In comparison, next week’s Italian Open will be held behind closed doors until the third round when organisers will welcome 25% capacity crowds.

The next match for the Frenchman in Madrid will be against Stefanos Tsitsipas. It is the last match set to take place and could possibly be played without fans if it continues beyond the 11pm curfew. Something that will be another test of Paire’s current mentality.

“If I find myself in a closed-door tournament, locked in a bubble, I’m not saying I won’t feel bad,” he admits. “Today (Tuesday) was great, but if the conditions are different it will be difficult. But for now, I’ll take advantage.’
“As for all the people who talk about me, I tell them that in a normal atmosphere, I am able to come back to a very good level. Before the pandemic, I was 22nd in the world.”

Paire has won three ATP titles and earned more than $8.6 million in his career.

ATP

Novak Djokovic Opens Up About Wimbledon Points Removal

The world No.1 states that he will always support the views of his peers.

Avatar

Published

on

By

Novak Djokovic (Roberto Dell'Olivo)

By Kingsley Elliot Kaye

In his press conference following his win over Yoshihito Nishioka at the French Open, Novak Djokovic expressed his views about the ATP decision to remove points from Wimbledon.

 

Negatively affected by such a decision – he will drop 2000 points – the world No.1 praised the ATP’s stance and called for players’ unity.

“I think collectively I’m glad that players got together with ATP, the governing body of the men’s tennis, and showed to the Grand Slam that when there is a mistake happening, and there was from the Wimbledon side, then we have to show that there are going to be some consequences. So I support the players, unification always. I have always done that. I will always do that.” He said.

Djokovic criticized the lack of communication between the parties involved, in particular with regard to a document of recommendation by the English Government which contained diverse options. Had it been discussed by the All England Club with ATP and players, a compromise may have been reached.

“I think it was a wrong decision. I don’t support that at all. But, you know, during these times, it’s a super sensitive subject, and anything that you decide, it’s unfortunately going to create a lot of conflict, a lot of separation instead of unification.” He continued.

Djokovic also mentioned other suggestions coming from WTA and ATP, that possibly men’s and women’s players from Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia could play together at some exhibition event during the slam or something like this and prize money could go to the victims in Ukraine. There were different ideas, but there was never really a strong communication coming from Wimbledon.

He stressed that removing the points from Wimbledon, therefore not allowing players to earn or to defend points, is a decision that affects everyone, a lose-lose situation for everyone, as he called it.

Nonetheless, the charm and prestige of Wimbledon shall rest unaltered and its meaningfulness extends far beyond: “A Grand Slam is still a Grand Slam. Wimbledon for me was always my dream tournament when I was a child. You know, I don’t look at it through the lens of points or prize money. For me, it’s something else.”

Continue Reading

ATP

Injury-Hit Borna Coric Reacts To First Grand Slam Win In 16 Months

The Croat admits he was unsure how his shoulder would hold up in his opening match at Roland Garros.

Avatar

Published

on

Borna Coric - US Open 2020 (via Twitter, @usopen)

Borna Coric said he is relieved that his body managed to hold up during his opening win at the French Open on Sunday.

 

The former world No.12 spent almost three hours on the court before defeating Spain’s Carlos Taberner 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-1, in what was his first Grand Slam match of any kind since the 2021 Australian Open. Paris is only the seventh tournament Coric has played in since returning to the Tour following a year-long absence due to shoulder surgery. The 25-year-old is yet to win back-to-back matches this season.

It does feel great. I didn’t know what to expect in terms of my shoulder because I’ve never been in the fourth set, fifth set (of a match) for one-and-a-half years,” said Coric.
“So it was also kind of worrying for me, I didn’t know what to expect, I didn’t know how I’m going to feel and how my whole body is going to behave in those later sets. Obviously I’ve been practicing it, but it’s really never the same.”

Impressively the Croat produced a total of 54 winners against 39 unforced errors in his latest match in the French capital. Furthermore, he won 76% of his first service points and 53% of his second.

“The last few weeks haven’t been very easy, I lost many tight matches. I mean, I was also quite happy with my tennis, but I was just losing,” he reflected.

Coric was once tipped to be the future of men’s tennis after rising quickly up the ranks at a young age. In 2014 he was the youngest player to end the season in the top 100 and a year last he was the youngest to do so in the top 50. He has recorded a total of nine wins over top five players, including Roger Federer, as well as winning two Tour titles.

In the second round at Roland Garros Coric will take on the formidable Grigor Dimitrov who has been ranked as high as third in the world. He will enter the clash as the underdog given his ongoing comeback from injury. At present Coric’s principal focus is on his body but that will change in the coming weeks.

Until Wimbledon my health needs to come first and after Wimbledon I can kind of try to switch in my mind so I can start playing more and more tournaments. I can train more and I can focus more on the tennis rather than on my shoulder,” he explains.

Coric has reached the third round of the French Open on four previous occasions.

Continue Reading

ATP

Felix Auger Aliassime Wins First Ever Roland Garros Match In Five Sets

Felix Auger-Aliassime earned his first ever victory at Roland Garros.

Avatar

Published

on

Felix Auger-Aliassime (@MatchPointCAN - Twitter)

The Canadian found himself down two sets to none but fought back to pull off the comeback in a thrilling five set victory.

 

Felix Auger Aliassime is into the second round of the French Open for the first time in his career after battling back to beat the Peruvian qualifier Juan Pablo Varillas in five sets 2-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 in three hours and 14 minutes.

The Montreal native finished the match serving 14 aces and hitting 52 winners in a match that featured a lot of long rallies from behind the baseline.

“It was a dream for me to play here, it was an honor and my first time on Phillipe Chatrier and my first win at Roland Garros and I had to work hard to get it and credit my opponent he played very well today.”

The Peruvian started the match by breaking the number nine seed right out of the gate and at 3-1 managed to turn that break into a double break as he served out the first set with ease.

The first two games of the second went on serve but again the world number 122 seemed to play better as the Canadian looked stunned, searching for answers.

The Lima native once again took an early lead to take a 3-1 lead and again that seemed like enough for the Peruvian as he served out the second set and was one set away from an improbable upset.

The third set is where the Canadian started to turn things around and his groundstrokes seemed to have more precision. At 2-1 it was the Montreal native who got the first break of serve.

After consolidating the break the world number nine was hungry for more and turned that break into a double break and it looked like the match was turning in his favour.

The Canadian served out the third set to send it to a fourth looking to send it to a decider.

The Montreal native rode the momentum from winning the third into the fourth set where after holding the opening service game got the early break once again taking a 2-0 lead.

At 5-3 with the Peruvian looking to stay in the set, Auger Aliassime managed to get another break to win the set and send the match to a fifth set.

The fifth set stayed on serve until 4-3 when the Canadian had four chances to break and at the fourth time of asking he was able to break and serve out the match to complete the comeback.

After the match in his on court interview he was asked about the adjustments he made in the third set to turn the match around and pull off the win.

“I tried to give myself some more space and a little more time, my opponent at the beginning was playing very quick, aggressive, and flat so I tried a couple things and I also served better and after that it was easier.”

The Canadian will next face either Aslan Karatsev or Camilo Ugo Carabelli in the next round.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending