Dominic Thiem Believes Grand Slam Breakthrough Will Ease Pressure In Hunt For More Trophies - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Dominic Thiem Believes Grand Slam Breakthrough Will Ease Pressure In Hunt For More Trophies

The US Open champion believes he will be fit in time for Roland Garros as he weighs up his chances.

Avatar

Published

on

Dominic Thiem with 2020 US Open trophy (image via https://twitter.com/usopen)

Becoming the first man to win his maiden Grand Slam title since Marin Cilic in 2014 Dominic Thiem says he will be able to play more freely in the future.

 

The world No.3 staged a valiant comeback to oust Alexander Zverev 2-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (6), in the US Open on Sunday in what was his fourth appearance in a major final. Thiem had previously lost his other three to members of the Big Three. He is a two-time runner up at the French Open to Rafael Nadal and came second best to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open in January. Now he has entered into the winner’s circle, the Austrian believes the sky’s the limit for him.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic which brought professional tennis to a halt for five months, Thiem will have to wait just two weeks before once again playing a major with the French Open starting. There had been concerns about his Achilles but the 27-year-old is confident he will be fit in time. As for his mentality? That is something he is less sure about.

I think physically I’m going to be fine, 100%. I’m going to have enough time to recover from all the troubles I had,” he said.
“The question is how I’m going to do it with the emotions mentally. I’ve never been in this situation. I achieved a big, big goal. I don’t know how I’m going to feel the next days.’

Nevertheless, Thiem is expecting to play future events with less pressure on his mind after achieving one of his dreams. He is only the fourth man outside of the Big Three to win a Grand Slam since 2010. The others are Cilic, Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka.

“It’s going to be or I expect that it’s going to be easier for me now in the biggest tournaments because I have in the back of my head that I have had a great career so far, way better career than I could ever dream of,” he explained.
“Until now there was still a big part, a big goal missing. With this goal achieved, I think, and I hope that I’m going to be a little bit more relaxed and play a little bit more freely at the biggest events.”

Thiem’s view is one that has also been echoed by his coach Nicolas Massu. A former Chilean player who won two gold medals at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. Massu teamed up with Thiem during the first quarter of 2019 after taking over from long-time mentor Gunther Bresnik.

“I think this will help Dominic to be more calm because they talk a lot about the new generation,” Massu told reporters on Sunday. “Now he is going to be more calm playing in the next Grand Slam. I think he for sure, maybe this year or whatever, he will have a chance to win the French Open. But now I think we have to go step by step. We won here. When we arrive in Paris, when we start to practice, we have to think about French Open.”

A couple years ago Thiem was regarded by many to be at his most dangerous on the European clay. 10 out of his 17 ATP titles have been won on the dirt but his three most recent triumphs have occurred on a hard court. It wasn’t until the end of last year where he realised that he had more weapons that he first thought.

“I thought my biggest chances by far are on clay. But then the end of last year somehow a lot of things changed when I won Beijing, when I won Vienna and when I played the great Nitto ATP Finals,” he reflected.
“I realized that my game is suiting the hard courts really well.’
“Since working with Nico (Massu), we have improved my game on the hard court a lot. Also changed my mind that many shots are working great on that surface.’
“At the end it doesn’t matter to me. The main thing is that I have one of these four now.”

Thiem is the second player from his country to win a major title after Thomas Muster at the 1995 French Open.

ATP

Filip Krajinovic To Skip Australian Open If Required To Quarantine For More Than Five Days

The world No.34 says he ‘sees no reason’ why vaccinated players should have to go through a long quarentine in Australia.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via twitter.com/atptour (Alexander Scheuber)

The second highest-ranked Serbian player in men’s tennis says it would be ‘unacceptable’ for organisers of the Australian Open to require players to quarantine for more than a week if they have been fully vaccinated.

 

Filip Krajinovic has become the first player to publicly state that they will not be prepared to travel to Melbourne at the end of this season if they have to go through strict quarantine measures once again. All the players who participated in this year’s Australian Open were required to be quarantined in a designated hotel for 14 days upon arrival in the country. During their stay they were allowed to use training facilities but that was the only time they could leave the premises unless there was an emergency.

There is no final decision regarding the travel requirements for the 2022 tournament but there are concerns that unvaccinated players may not be allowed to enter the country. The Victorian government recently issued a mandate ordering all essential workers to be vaccinated, including athletes. However, the regional government will not have the final say concerning tennis players arriving in the country with the national government being the ones in charge of that decision.

“They are very rigorous there and honestly, if I have to be in quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Melbourne, I will not go to Australia,” Krajinovic told Serbian newspaper Blic.
“I was vaccinated, I did everything in my power to protect myself and the people around me, so I really see no reason to sit there for 14 days in a room.’
“If they (the organisers) say that after arrival I need, say, five days to be in isolation, that’s OK for me, but anything beyond that is unacceptable to me. With the season ending late, I will have 20 days to get ready and go. Charter flights will be organized again and the last one is planned for December 28 for the players and that is the final date when I can go to Australia. I will see what the final decision from Melbourne will be, so I will cut what is the best thing to do.”

Earlier this week Victoria’s Sports minister Martin Pakula urged players to be vaccinated because it give them ‘the best opportunity to play in the Australian Open.’ It is expected that if unvaccinated players are allowed to attend, they will be subjected to stricter restrictions. This might include a longer quarantine period upon arrival and limitations of where they can go during their stay.

Last year, all of those players had to do their 14 days of quarantine. Right now there looks like there will be different rules for people who enter this country who are vaccinated as against unvaccinated and I don’t think the tennis will be any exception to that.” Pakula told the Sports Entertainment Network (SEN).
“In terms of what rules apply for people to enter Australia, whether unvaccinated people are allowed in at all, I don’t the answer to that yet. That’s going to be the subject of discussion at national cabinet and among the federal cabinet … those rules are not set by state governments.” He added.

Krajinovic is currently ranked 34th in the world and has a win-loss record this season of 18-18. At the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells he reached the second round before falling in straight sets to Daniil Medvedev. His best run so far this year was at the Hamburg Open where he reached the final.

“When we look at the whole of 2021, I played one final, one semifinal, there were good victories, but also worse results,” the 29-year-old commented.

Krajinovic is currently without a coach but is currently in ‘negotiations’ with somebody without elaborating further about who that person is.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Zverev Secures Place In ATP Finals With Indian Wells Win

Zverev will be seeking to win the season-ending extravaganza for the second time in his career.

Avatar

Published

on

Alexander Zverev (GER) Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Germany’s Alexander Zverev has become the fourth player to officially qualify for the ATP Finals after reaching the third round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.

 

The world No.4 defeated America’s Jenson Brooksby 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, in his second round match on Sunday which pushed him over the points threshold to secure his spot in the end-of-season event. It is the fifth year in a row he has qualified for the ATP Finals which he won back in 2018. He is one of only three German players to ever win the title after Boris Becker and Michael Stich.

This year’s tournament will take place in Turin, Italy for the first time in history after being held at The O2 Arena in London for more than a decade. Only the eight highest ranked players are eligible to play in the round-robin tournament which has on offer up to 1500 rankings points for an undefeated champion.

“My first time in Turin. I’ve been to London four times before. London is obviously very special to me because I won there, as well. I think the stadium is incredible, one of the most special events that we had,” Zverev told reporters on Sunday.
“But I also love playing in Italy. I had great success in Italy. I won my first Masters in Rome. I’m looking forward to being there. I’m looking forward to playing in front of the Italian fans. It’s going to be a great week.”

The 24-year-old approaches the final quarter of this season with four titles already won this year. He has won two Masters 1000 trophies, an ATP 500 event in Mexico and a gold medal in singles at the Tokyo Olympic Games. Zverev, who has recorded seven wins over top 10 players, also reached the semi-finals at both the French Open and US Open.

Zverev joins Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev and Stefanos Tsitsipas as the players who have qualified for the ATP Finals so far. It is the third straight season the quartet has qualified for the event.

This year’s ATP Finals will get underway on November 14th. Medvedev is the defending champion.

Continue Reading

ATP

Denis Shapovalov Advances After Pospisil Retires In Indian Wells

The battle of the two Canadians didn’t go as planned…

Avatar

Published

on

Denis Shapovalov (CAN) Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Vasek Pospisil faced off against his fellow Canadian Denis Shapovalov in the second round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and it was the world number 13 who got the win after the Vernon native pulled out due to an injury whilst trailing 0-3.

 

It was a rough start for Pospisil who seemed to struggle with his serve in the opening game of the match and double-faulted twice in a row to give the early break and Shapovalov had no issues consolidating the break.

Shapovalov continued to apply pressure on the Pospisil serve and after saving two breakpoints the world number 68 pulled up after a serve and stopped play, calling for the trainer. He ended up taking a medical timeout off the court and a couple of minutes later returned to court. Pospisil was broken once again and the following game after a couple of returns decided to call it quits.

” It was pretty awful…and if I’m being honest I am shaking a bit…It really sucks I hope it’s nothing serious…He’s a great guy he’s a real warrior he’s fought back from some injuries surgeries to such a great level.” Shapovalov said of his compatriot.

Shapovalov will face 19th seed Aslan Karatsev in the next round after the Russian thrashed Salvatore Caruso 6-2, 6-0.

In the other results of the day sixth seeed Casper Ruud dominated Roberto Carballes Baena 6-1, 6-2, Roberto Bautista Agut beat the Argentine Guido Pella 7-5, 6-3 and Sebastien Korda won an all American battle with Frances Tiafoe 6-0, 6-4.

Finally, Diego Schwartzman needed three sets to beat another American in Maxime Cressy winning 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending