Rogers Cup Suspension A Financial Nightmare For Canada’s Status As Tennis Powerhouse - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Rogers Cup Suspension A Financial Nightmare For Canada’s Status As Tennis Powerhouse

After producing some of the sports most promising tennis players in recent time, Canadian Tennis officials are bracing themselves for a crisis that is likely to include job losses.

Published

on

The head of Canadian Tennis has admitted that his organisation will have to reduce their investment into the sport for up to the next three years in the wake of their key moneymaking tournament being suspended.

On Saturday it was announced that the WTA Rogers Cup has been suspended until 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The local government in Montreal has officially cancelled all events until August 30th in a bid to curb the spread of the virus. There are also fears over the men’s tournament taking place, which is set to be held in Toronto. Although a final decision is yet to be made. Montreal and Toronto take it in turns to host the men’s and women’s tournament.

The decision was one that Tennis Canada would have been extremely reluctant to do. The Rogers Cup generates an astonishing 94% of the money which is used to invest in tennis development within the country. Without that money, there will be a significant impact on the sports rising stars. The setback comes at a time when Canada is establishing themselves as a powerhouse in the world of tennis. Thanks to the success of US Open champion Bianca Andreescu, Denis Shapovalov, Felix Auger-Aliassime and others.

“We put on these two magnificent tennis tournaments every August in Toronto and Montreal and they generate by far the lion’s share of the profit that we invest in growing the game of tennis coast to coast.” Tennis Canada boss Michael Downey told tsn.ca.
“While we get support from the government from Sport Canada and Own the Podium, and we appreciate that support, it is only six per cent of the investment we put into tennis development. So, there’s no doubt this year is going to be very difficult. We’ve already cut most of the tennis development programming for the balance of the year.” He added.

Should the men’s tournament also get the chop in 2020, Downey estimates the total loss to be ‘north of $10-million.’ Outside of the Rogers Cup, the organisation also receives financial support from Sport Canada and their own investments. Although that only amounts to six per cent. It is this self-sufficiency that has left the organisation at risk.

In a bleak outlook Downey, who was previously head of the Lawn Tennis Association, admits Tennis Canada’s investments could be affected up to 2023. It has been confirmed that staff working at the organisation has been told there will be a restructuring process in the wake of the current situation.

“When you look down the road, because it will be a significant loss this year, into the multi-millions, it won’t just impact what we can invest in tennis development this year, it’s going to impact what we can invest in 2021 and 2022 and maybe even 2023.” He revealed.
“We’ll be able to make an investment, because these tournaments will come back next year stronger than ever, but we won’t be able to afford to invest at the level that we’ve historically been able to because we have to actually get that money back.”

In a bid to prevent the undoing of their progress in recent years, Downey has hinted that he will seek help from the Government in the coming months. Although he didn’t shed light on what that will involve.

“We expect to get more government support down the road. Not right now, because the government is doing what they have to do and that’s focusing on the health and well-being of Canadians and making sure Canadians are employed, but later this year we think there will be an opportunity for us to make a case for greater support, because the sport deserves it and we’ve been self-reliant for decades,’” he explained.

With the men’s Roger Cup tournament in limbo, there is anxiety for those working for Downey and his team. Whilst never directly saying it, a series of redundancies or similar are also expected to be made. It is unclear as to how many or in what departments.

“Like any business, when you have some level of financial turmoil you’ve got to restructure, you got to look to the future and we have to do it like any other business and they understand that. It will be a sad day when we move forward on this, but like any business you got to do this,” Downey concluded.

According to their 2018 Annual Report, 86% of Tennis Canada’s revenue was generated by tennis tournaments alone.

Latest news

Iga Swiatek beats Emma Raducanu to extend her winning streak to ten consecutive matches in Stuttgart

Published

on

Two-time defending champion Iga Swiatek held off 2021 US Open champion Emma Raducanu 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 after 2 hours and 3 minutes to extend her winning streak to 10 consecutive matches at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart. 

Swiatek set up a semifinal match against 2022 Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina, who came back from a break down in the third set to beat this year’s Dubai champion Jasmine Paolini.

Raducanu came back from 0-40 down to earn the first break of the opening set. Swiatek converted her third break point in the second game in a seven-deuce second game. Raducanu saved the only other break point at deuce in the sixth game. Swiatek won the first four points and five of the first six points to win the tie-break 7-2. 

Swiatek earned five break points in the second, sixth and in the 12thgame, but she converted only one opportunity. Raducanu converted her only break point in the first game. Swiatek won nine more points than Swiatek. 

Swiatek broke Raducanu in the second game to open up a 2-0 lead. This break was decisive, as both players held on their next serve in their next games. 

Swiatek earned six break points in the third, fifth and ninth games, but she converted one chance. The Pole did not face a single break point and won eight more points than Raducanu.

“Raducanu started playing at the beginning pretty loose, like she had nothing to lose, and I totally get that. Sometimes it is like that. I knew I was questioning if she is going to be able to keep the same intensity throughout the whole match. It was not about service games or return games. I was just waiting for my chances to break back and I was sure that I am going to get them”, said Swiatek.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Stefanos Tsitsipas beats Sebastian Ofner in Barcelona to extend his winning streak

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas beat Sebastian Ofner 6-4 7-5 at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell to extend his winning streak to seven consecutive matches after claiming his third title at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters last week. 

Tsitsipas earned an immediate break in the first game. Ofner broke straight back to draw level to 1-1. Tsitsipas earned his second break  in the seventh game to take a 4-3 lead and served out the first set 6-4 with a hold at 15. 

Tsitsipas broke in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. Ofner won three consecutive games with two breaks of serve to take a 5-3 lead. Tsitsipas came back by winning four consecutive games with two breaks of serve to seal the second set 7-5.

Tsitsipas has a record of 17 wins to 5 defeats in Barcelona. The Greek player reached three finals at this tournament in 2018, 2021 and 2023.  

“I feel pretty good, but it is still early in the tournament. The conditions here are very different to Monte-Carlo and I felt it today when I was playing. My job is to adapt and to ensure I can bring my A game again in Barcelona this week. Today was a great test to see where I stand. I am hoping to keep on improving and getting good wins like this under my belt”, said Tsitsipas. 

Tsitssipas set up a third round match against Roberto Carballes Baena, who beat Lorenzo Musetti 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 in 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

Musetti saved three break points in the first game of the opening set. The Italian player earned two break points with a backhand down the line. Musetti saved two break points in the seventh game. Both players went on serve un the 12th game when Carballes Baena saved a set point. Carballes Baena went up a 5-1 lead with two mini-breaks in the tie-break. Musetti won three consecutive points to reduce to 4-5. Carballes Baena won the final two points to take the tie-break 7-4. 

Carballes Baena converted his fourth break point in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Musetti broke back in the fifth game. Carballes Baena saved a break point in the sixth game. The Spanish player sealed the win with a break on his second match. 

Last week’s Monte-Carlo finalist Casper Ruud beat Alexandre Muller 6-3 6-4 to claim his 25th tour-level win of the season. Ruud has drawn level with Jannik Sinner for the most wins in 2024 on the ATP Tour. 

Ruud set up a third round match against Jordan Thompson, who beat Jaume Munar 6-4 2-4 6-4. Roberto Bautista Agut beat Andrea Vavassori 4-6 6-4 6-1 to claim his milestone 400th match win on the ATP Tour. Bautista Agut set up a third round match against Cameron Norrie. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Roberto Bautista Agut wins his milestone 400th match on the ATP Tour

Published

on

Roberto Bautista Agut came back from one set down to beat Australian Open doubles finalist Andrea Vavassori 4-6 6-3 6-1 after 2 hours and 1 minute at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell. 

Vavassori earned an early break in the first game. The Italian player earned three break points in the seventh game, but Bautista Agut saved them. The Spanish player broke straight back in the eighth game. Vavassori broke again in the ninth game to take a 5-4 lead and saved two break points before closing out the first set 6-4 on his second set point. 

Both players went on serve in the first four games of the second set. Vavassori earned a break point in the fifth game, but he did not convert it. Bautista Agut broke serve in the sixth game to take a 4-2 lead and did not face any break points to win the second set 6-3. 

Bautista Agut broke three times to cruise through to a 6-1. 

Bautista Agut reached the 400th milestone win on the ATP Tour.  The Spanish player has become the 13th active player with at least 400 ATP Tour wins. He achieved 20 wins against members of the top 10, ten wins against top 5 players and four against world number 1s. Bautista Agut is one of the nine players, who have beaten Novak Djokovic as World number 1 more than twice. 

“For me it’s just a number. The important thing is that I have done great work over these years, that I have a very consistent career, a career that I can feel proud of “, said Bautista Agut. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending