Roger Federer Issues Stark Warning To Gerard Pique Over New Davis Cup - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Roger Federer Issues Stark Warning To Gerard Pique Over New Davis Cup

The world No.2 speaks out as the ITF and ATP clash over the future of men’s team events.

Published

on

20-time grand slam champion Roger Federer has spoken out against any potential interference by new investor Gerard Pique in the Davis Cup.

Next year the Davis Cup will be transformed into a 18-team end-of-year event after receiving official backing at an ITF AGM vote. The driving force behind the new development is Barcelona F.C. footballer Pique and his company Kosmos. Kosmos has pledged to invest $3 billion in the tournament over the next 25 years. An initiative that has divided opinion in the sport.

Details of where the first edition of the event will be is yet to be formally announced. Pique has also revealed that the weeklong tournament could also be moved from November to September to accommodate players’ needs. If this would be the case, it will be positioned on a potential collision course with the Federer-backed Laver Cup. Which is set to be hosted next year in Geneva between September 20-22.

“The good part of all this confusion is that everyone will have to sit around one table and listen to the other’s desires: the ITF, the ATP, the Laver Cup. It is true that the coming weeks may be very interesting.” Federer told French-speaking reporters at the US Open.

There is now a three-way fight in the world of men’s team events. Besides the Davis and Laver Cup’s, the ATP are also gaining in momentum with their plans. The governing body of men’s tennis intends to revive the World Team Cup in partnership with Tennis Australia. Offering ranking points to players who participate. They are hoping to re-launch the tournament in January 2020.

Speaking about Pique’s emergence as a powerful figure in tennis, Federer has issued a direct warning to the 31-year-old. Warning him against transforming the event into his own masterpiece.

“I haven’t spoken to Gerard Pique yet, but I admit that it’s a bit odd to see a footballer arrive and meddle in the tennis business. Be careful: the Davis Cup should not become the Piqué Cup.” Federer stated.
“I am globally for innovations. Our sport needs to think a little outside the box to innovate. But it’s a bit like in a game of Jenga: you have to be careful not to remove the piece that will bring down the whole building.”

Earlier this week, Pique spoke about Federer during an interview with Spanish website El Pais. Pointing out the Swiss world No.2 has cautiously backed the new tournament.

“I listened to his statements and they were not negative.” He said of Federer. “He said that it caused him sadness because there have been many years with that format, but he also said that he wanted to see how the new proposal would work.”

An announcement on the date and venue of the 2019 Davis Cup finals are expected later this year.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Sebastian Korda reaches his second semifinal of the season in s’Hertogenbosh

Published

on

Sebastian Korda beat Tommy Paul 6-4 6-2 in 67 minutes to reach his second ATP Tour semifinal of the season at Libema Open in s’Hertogenbosh. 

Korda hit 18 winners and won 84% of his first serve points. Korda earned his first break in the third game of the first set to take a 2-1 lead. Paul broke straight back in the sixth game to draw level to 3-3. Korda broke for the second time in the seventh game to win the first set 6-4. Korda broke twice in the third and seventh game to close out the second set 6-2. 

Korda has improved his head-to-head record against Paul to 4-1. 

Korda reached the semifinal on grass at Queen’s in 2023. The US player is is aiming to win his first ATP Tour title since 2021, when he won in Parma on clay. 

Korda set up a semifinal clash against defending champion Tallon Griekspoor, who ccame back from one set down to beat Alexandar Vukic 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-3). Griekspoor has won his past eight matches at this tournament. 

Vukic broke in the ninth game to win the first set 6-4. Griekspoor earned his first break in the sixth game of the second set to win the second set 6-3. The third set went on serve with no breaks en route to the tie-break. Griekspoor earned two mini-breaks to open up a 4-1 lead in the tie-break. Vukic pulled one of the two mini-breaks, but Griekspoor held on his serve and sealed the tie-break on his first match point.

“I am very happy to be through. It was a very tough match once again. I think Alexandar played unbelievable grass court tennis, so it was not easy and I am very happy to find my way in the third set. I am enjoying the crowd, the atmosphere and the whole tournament”, said Korda. 

Alex De Minaur beat Milos Raonic7-5 6-2 in 1 hour and 26 minutes. De Minaur has improved to 3-0 in his head-to-head matches against Raonic, who was playing in just his fourth tournament of he year.

De Minaur earned his first break in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. Raonic broke straight back to draw level to 3-3. De Minaur broke for the second time in the 11th game and served out on his first set point after saving three break points in the 12th game. De Minaur broke twice in the fifth and seventh games to win the second set 6-2. 

De Minaur is aiming to win the second title of his career on career following his win in Eastbourne in 2021.  

Continue Reading

Latest news

Emma Raducanu Confident Of Full Fitness Ahead Of Grass Swing

Published

on

Emma Raducanu - Cincinnati 2022 (foto Twitter @cincytennis)

Emma Raducanu has no regrets about her decision to skip the French Open and now believes she is in a ‘really fit place’ ahead of Wimbledon. 

The former US Open champion opted to end her clay season earlier than other players to focus on fitness and training with her coach. Raducanu stated earlier this year that her primary focus in 2024 is on her health after undergoing a series of wrist and ankle surgeries last year which sidelined her for months. 

Raducanu will return to action this week at the Nottingham Open, which is the event where she made her WTA main draw debut back in 2021. Despite her lack of match play in recent weeks, the Brit is feeling good and relishing her return to the grass.

“Body-wise, physical-wise, I feel really healthy,” she said on Monday.
“I’ve done amazing work with my trainer over the last few months, since surgery. I’m in a really fit place. I’m healthy and just looking forward to starting playing.”

Shedding more light on her health, Raducanu says she has full confidence in her wrists and believes they are in top condition. Making her feel more at ease when playing matches on the Tour. 

“I think my wrists are actually in a better position than they ever were. So there’s zero doubt or apprehension whether I’m hitting the ball or designing my schedule,” she explained.
“It’s more about being proactive and not wanting to put yourself in any unnecessary situations. I don’t need to rush and try to win the French Open, it wasn’t my goal this year.
“I had to prioritise where I wanted to target and it was just a good block for me to get some physical work done.”

Raducanu has played seven WTA events so far this season with her best run being to the quarter-finals of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart, where she was beaten by world No.1 Iga Swiatek. The 21-year-old is currently ranked 209th in the world. 

At the Nottingham Open, she will play her first match on Tuesday against Japanese qualifier Ena Shibahara. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Jack Draper Wins In Stuttgart, Potentially Faces Andy Murray in Round Two

Published

on

Jack Draper – ATP Monaco di Baviera 2024 (foto via Twitter @atptour)

Britain’s Jack Draper tight first round win headlined the opening day’s results at the Boss Open 2024 in Stuttgart – and possibly faces a second-round match with Andy Murray who takes on Marcos Giron tomorrow.

Less than 24 hours from the last ball being hit at Roland Garros, the ATP Tour had already switched surfaces onto the grass, and 22-year-old Draper was well tested but ultimately came through in two tie-breakers over Sebastian Ofner.

The sixth seed’s 7-6, 7-6 win contained just one break of serve each, both coming in the second set, as serve dominated proceedings on the faster grass courts in Germany.

While the Austrian won 75% on his first serve, Draper won a whopping 89% behind his first delivery as well as hitting eight aces. These kind of service stats will surely take him far during the grass court season.

“I thought it was a really good match,” Eurosport quoted Draper saying after his match. 
“Both of us played really clean tennis, executing really well.
“When it came down to it, I’m glad I competed really well and got over the line – it’s good to be back on the grass as well.”

There were also wins for Germany’s Yannick Hanfmann who won 6-3, 6-3 over wildcard Henri Squire, while compatriot Dominik Koepfer won in three sets over China’s Zhizhen Zhang 4-6, 7-6, 7-6. 

Continue Reading

Trending