Milos Raonic Teams up With Ivanisevic For Indian Wells Campaign - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Milos Raonic Teams up With Ivanisevic For Indian Wells Campaign

Avatar

Published

on

Milos Raonic (zimbio.com)

Former Wimbledon finalist Milos Raonic has enlisted the help of Goran Ivanisevic during the upcoming BNP Paribas Open as part of his search for a new coach.

 

It is understood that the Canadian will work with the Croat on a trial basis to see how their partnership progresses. Raonic, who ended his 2017 season early due to injury concerns, is aiming to rediscover his form. Heading into the first Masters event of the year, he has only won one match in three tournaments played. As a result of his injury setbacks and disappointing results, Raonic is currently ranked 38th in the world.

https://twitter.com/SportsHorn/status/971136833261219840

Ivanisevic, who was the first Croatian grand slam winner at the 2001 Wimbledon Championships, has previously illustrated his credentials as a coach. He coached Marin Cilic between 2013-2016, guiding him to his first and so far only major title at the US Open (2014). He also briefly mentored Tomas Berdych for 10 months before the Czech ended their partnership after a series of poor results.

Raonic’s collaboration with Ivanisevic is the latest stage in an ongoing process to find a new mentor. During the Delray Beach Open, where he lost in the second round, the Canadian was mentored by Sweden’s Jonas Bjorkman. A former top-five player who has previously worked with Andy Murray. According to Tennis Life, Raonic will make a decision regarding his future coaching regime after Indian Wells.

After being hampered by injuries in recent time, the 27-year-old is aiming to take a new approach to the tour this season by being more active away from the court. The idea being that it will prevent his body from ‘getting out of rhythm.’

“I’ll try to keep my days off to a maximum of three times [a week] but always doing something to keep my body active, whether it be in the gym, running or playing other sports with different eye-hand coordination like basketball or soccer to keep myself engaged.” He told reporters in Delray Beach.
“I’m trying to figure out something that’s going to work. Obviously, some things I was trying wasn’t giving me the results, health and longevity I was hoping for especially tournament after tournament throughout an entire season.
“So I did the research, speaking to a lot of different people with various opinions, trying to give everything a shot for a longer period of time, so I could be able to be on court much more.’’

Raonic is seeded 32nd in Indian Wells. He will start his campaign against a yet to be decided qualifier.

ATP

Daniil Medvedev ‘Happy To Play Wimbledon’ If Ban Is Lifted

The world No.2 says he is willing to speak with other players about the situation ahead of his return to action following surgery.

Avatar

Published

on

Daniil Medvedev (RUS) in action against Jan-Lennard Struff (GER) in the first round of the Gentlemen's Singles on No.1 Court at The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day 2 Tuesday 29/06/2021. Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Daniil Medvedev says he is still hopeful that he might be able to play at this year’s Wimbledon Championships should officials at The All England Club decide to change their stance.

 

At present the reigning US Open champion will not be allowed to play at the grass court major due to his nationality. Officials at the Grand Slam have confirmed that Russian and Belarussian players have been banned from the event due to the war in Ukraine. Ian Hewitt, who is the chairman of The AELTC, said the action was taken in order to prevent ‘the propaganda machine of the Russian regime’ from potentially benefiting from their players’ success.

The ban is a controversial move for the sport which until now had a united approach when it came to allowing those players participate in tournaments but only as neutral athletes. Former Wimbledon champions Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokopvic and Andy Murray have all expressed some degree of opposition to the decision. Meanwhile, the ATP and WTA are considering the possibility of removing the allocation of ranking points at the event.

Speaking about the ban ahead of this week’s Geneva Open, Medvedev acknowledges that it is a ‘tricky situation’ but is still hopeful that a u-turn could occur which would allow him to play. The 26-year-old has made four main draw appearances at Wimbledon with his best result being a run to the fourth round last year.

“There has been a lot of talk around it. I just tried to follow what’s happening because I don’t have any decisions to make. It’s right now about Wimbledon itself, the ATP, maybe the British government is involved,” news agency AFP quoted Medvedev as telling reporters in Switzerland.
“It’s a tricky situation and like every situation in life, you ask 100 players, everybody’s going to give a different opinion.
“I can play: I’m going to be happy to play in Wimbledon. I love this tournament.
“I cannot play: well, I’m going to try to play other tournaments and prepare well for next year if I have the chance to play.”

The former world No.1 has been among a group of Russian players who have previously called for peace in the region. Although none of them have gone as far as publicly condemning the actions of their government. Something which has drawn criticism from Ukraine’s Elina Svitoliva.

“I had some time to follow what is happening, yeah, it’s very upsetting,” Medvedev commented on the war.

Geneva will be the first event Medvedev has played in since reaching the quarter-finals of the Miami Open. He took time away from the Tour to undergo hernia surgery but has confirmed he intends to play at next week’s French Open despite his lack of match play on the clay.

During his time at those events, the tennis star says he is more than happy to speak with other players about the Wimbledon ban should they want to.

“Since I haven’t been on the tour, I haven’t talked to any of them face to face. It was the first time when I came here on Saturday when I can talk to players, and if they start talking about this, we can discuss,” he said.
“I don’t know exactly what’s happening, what’s going to happen, if there are going to be more decisions made.
“Same about Wimbledon. I don’t know if this decision is 100 percent, and it’s over.”

Granted a bye in the first round, Medvedev will start his Geneva campaign against either Richard Gasquet or John Millman.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic win their fourth ATP Masters 1000 doubles title

Avatar

Published

on

Defending champions Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic battled past John Isner and Diego Schwartzman 6-2 6-7 (6-7) 12-10 to claim their fourth ATP Masters 1000 doubles title together at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. 

 

Mektic and Pavic broke twice to win a one-sided opening set 6-2. Both teams went on serve with no break points en route to the tie-break of the second set. The Croatians earned a championship point at 6-5 in the tie-break, but Schwartzman hit a pair of forehand winners to force a Match Tie-Break. 

Both teams did not convert match points before Mektic and Pavic won the final two points to seal the Match Tie-Break 11-9. 

Isner became the first player to reach three Masters 1000 doubles finals with three different players in the same year. The US player won two consecutive Sunshine Double trophies in Indian Wells with Jack Sock and the Miami Open with Hubert Hurkacz.  Mektic and Pavic won nine ATP Tour titles last year and finished the 2021 season as the world number 1 team in the ATP Doubles Rannking. They had not won a title so far in 2022 before the Rome tournament, but they showed their form this week, as they dropped just one set during the tournament. The Croatian Doubles team beat Fabio Fognini and Simone Bolelli 6-3 7-6 (7-5) in the semifinal on Saturday.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina Announces Pregnancy

Tennis’ power couple are set to become parents later this year.

Avatar

Published

on

Former world No.3 Elina Svitoliva has announced that she is expecting a baby girl in October on social media.

 

The 27-year-old made the announcement on Sunday morning with a picture of her and her husband, French tennis star Gael Monfils. Known by some as the sports ‘power couple,’ the two tied the knot last July in Geneva ahead of the Tokyo Olympic Games after first going public about their relationship in 2019. They even have their own Instagram account called ‘g.e.m.s. life’ which has more than 139,000 followers.

“With a heart full of love and happiness, we are delighted to announce that we are expecting a baby girl in October,” the couple wrote on Twitter.

Svitolina hadn’t played on the Tour since losing to Heather Watson at the Miami Open in March after deciding to take time away from the sport due to events happening in her home country. Russia launched a military operation against Ukraine earlier this year which has claimed thousands of lives. Svitolina is one of the sport’s most outspoken players regarding the conflict. She has previously spoken out against the decision to ban Russian and Belarussian athletes from Wimbledon by arguing that they should be allowed to participate if they condemn the actions of their home countries.

We don’t want them banned completely,” Svitolina told BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast.
“If players don’t speak out against the Russian government then it is the right thing to ban them.”

Prior to announcing her pregnancy, Svitolina has achieved a win-loss record of 5-8 on the Tour this season with her best runs being to the third round of the Australian Open and the quarter-finals of a WTA event in Monterrey.

During her career, the Ukrainian has won 16 WTA titles and reached the semi-finals of two Grand Slams during 2019.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending