David Ferrer takes out in form Lu - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

David Ferrer takes out in form Lu

Published

on

David Ferrer progressed quickly through to the semi-finals

David Ferrer progressed quickly through to the semi-finals

David Ferrer survived a tough opening set against Yen-Hsun Lu to eventually progress to the semi-finals of the Beijing Open, 6-3, 6-1.

 

Lu had come into the match playing the best tennis of his season, having already taking down Adrian Mannarino and Viktor Troicki in straight sets in the first round and round of 16 respectively.

For a while it looked like Lu may add David Ferrer to that list of wins, as he forced break points in game four. Ferrer saved each of them with his trademark tenacity, and escaped to hold. Ferrer meanwhile was consistently applying pressure to the Lu serve, forcing deuce in Lu’s first three service games. The break finally came in the fourth, Ferrer taking advantage of an increasing error count, to break ti a relatively easy fifteen. Ferrer then survived another Lu attack in serving for the set, eventually holding to deuce to take the opening set.

The match then began to run away from Lu, as Ferrer stepped up his game further in the second set, breaking immediately to lead. Lu this time could not muster a meaningful attack as Ferrer held in consolidation. Lu was becoming increasingly desperate, playing a risky flat game that brought reward and failure. They were not however, with equal measure, and Ferrer broke again. Lu started to entertain with some stunning winners, including a cross court forehand that bisected the side line a good three feet from the baseline.

Game five of the second set proved enjoyable, as Lu fought manfully to put his name on the scoreboard. He saved four more break points with more aggressive play. Ferrer though was fighting like he was down a set, making Lu finish him with three extra shots each time. Ferrer though finally broke at the fifth time of asking, and served for a bagel. Lu though, continued his risky play, and was finally rewarded. Forcing a break point, and Ferrer could only block a sharp forehand beyond the baseline, as Lu finally registered. Ferrer quickly atoned for his loss of serve, quickly building love-forty, and securing victory when Lu sailed long with a forehand.

Ferrer now takes his place in the semi-finals, where he will face the winner of the final quarter-final between John Isner and Novak Djokovic. Ferrer has a 5-15 record against Djokovic, with Djokovic winning the last nine. Ferrer’s last win came in 2011 in London at the ATP World Tour Finals.

Ferrer remains on course to qualify once again for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, he is currently in eighth position, more than one thousand points ahead of his nearest challenger Richard Gasquet. Last year he played only as an alternate.

 

ATP

Thomas Musters Hints At Conflict With Thiem After Sudden Axe From Team

The unexpected move by Thiem has left more questions than answers.

Published

on

Australian tennis legend Thomas Muster has seemingly suggested that a difference in opinion was behind his sudden departure from Dominic Thiem’s team after just two weeks.

 

On Saturday the world No.5 unexpectedly confirmed that the former French Open champion has left his team. Exactly 18 days after Thiem said during a press conference at the ATP Cup that the two have arranged a ‘working relationship.’ The announcement followed Thiem’s four-set win over Taylor Fritz in the third round of the Australian Open.

“We ended our working relationship,” He told Austrian reporters in Melbourne. “It did not fit. It’s easy like that. It is just about work. We get along well personally, and we said in the beginning, if anything is not all right we will tell each other.”

Questions are left remaining about what the exact reason for the two to go their separate ways. Especially given their short period spent working together. Both have been coy on the subject, but Muster has shed some light during an interview with Eurosport.

Speaking with fellow former world No.1 Becker, Muster said he was initially expecting to be working with Thiem for a two-year period. Adding to the mystery, the 52-year-old fuelled further speculation when he gave a cryptic insight about the two-time French Open finalist. Who had previously said that his career was to emulate and surpass Muster’s career achievements.

“To be honest, I have seen myself in this role for the next two years.” He told Becker.
“Why he chose differently…l I know why, but I don’t want to say the details.’
“It’s like this. There are houses which look nice from the outside, wonderfully from the outside, but you rarely know who lives inside.”

Speaking about Thiem’s performance on the court, Muster believes there are still areas of his game that requires further improvement. Last year the 26-year-old won five titles on the ATP Tour, including his first at Masters level. Something that was only matched by Novak Djokovic.

“He’s a fine guy and likes to learn a lot,” he told Eurosport.
“But he has also got some shortcomings, he has to work on if he wants to be at the top. He has improved a lot, but he to catch up in the technical, physical and foremost in the mental area.”

Muster isn’t the only former professional with a view that Thiem needs to improve. Mats Wilander recently called on the tennis star to improve his attitude on the court.

Thiem will play fifth seed Gael Monfils in the fourth round of the French Open on Monday.

Continue Reading

ATP

Injury-Stricken Juan Martin Del Potro Suffers New Blow And An Uncertain Future

There is more bad news for fans of the former world No.3 and his hopes of a return to tennis.

Published

on

Hopes of Juan Martin del Potro returning to the tour in the coming weeks have ended after it was announced that he will undergo further surgery on Monday.

 

The former US Open champion hasn’t played a competitive match since June after fracturing his right kneecap at the Fever-Tree Championships in London. The same one he also hurt towards the end of the 2018 season. Shortly after his mishap the Argentine underwent surgery in Barcelona in an attempt to fix the issue and have been undergoing rehabilitation ever since.

Unfortunately for the former top-five player, the surgery hasn’t been a success with him continuing to have pain in the region. In an official press release published on Sunday, it was confirmed that the issue is affecting the Argentine in everyday tasks such as walking up a flight of stairs. As a consequence, Del Potro will have yet another operation on his knee in Miami.

“We want to update you that after long weeks of inter consultations in Argentina, Europe and the United States, most doctors have come to the conclusion that a new intervention in the right knee of Juan Martin del Potro is necessary.” A statement reads.
“After analyzing the options, Delpo trusted Dr. Lee Kaplan to perform the surgery scheduled for Monday, January 27th in Miami.”
“We hope that this is the definitive solution to eliminate the pain that not only has prevented Delpo from playing tennis, but also making it difficult for him to perform daily activities.”

Speculation over the future intentions of the 31-year-old started earlier this week when he withdrew from the Delray Beach Open. The tournament were where he was set to make his comeback next month.

During his rehabilitation, Del Potro has sought various treatments. Including types of diets, training and trips to specialists. All of which failed to deliver the desired outcome and forced him to undergo surgery.

“Thank you for your patience and for understanding that these past weeks we have taken our time before communicating his next steps. The situation is never easy when it comes to the physique of an athlete and, more importantly, the health of a person.” Team del Potro said.

The latest revelation has cast concerns over Del Potro’s future career. Who at one stage said he was unsure if he would be able to continue playing due to his knee injury (prior to his first surgery). It is the latest setback for the injury-stricken player who have also been forced to undergo four wrist surgeries.

So far in his career, Del Potro has won 22 ATP titles and has been ranked as high as third in the world last year.

Continue Reading

ATP

Milos Raonic reaches the Australian Open quarter finals for the fifth time in his career

Published

on

Milos Raonic beat Marin Cilic 6-4 6-3 7-5 to advance to the quarter final at the Australian Open for the fifth time in his career and for the second consecutive year. The Canadian player has advanced to the quarter final for the tenth time in his career at Grand Slam level.

 

Raonic saved an early break point with a big serve and hit a backhand down the line to force an error to break in the 10th game closing out the first set 6-4.

The former Wimbldon finalist and eight-time ATP Tour champion hit a backhand return winner in the second game to open up a 2-0 lead in the second set.

Cilic brought up two set points on Raonic’s serve in the 10th game of the third set, but Raonic fended them off with three serves. Raonic got a break in the 11th game at 15 and sealed the win on his first match point with an ace.

“It feels pretty good. I have got to say. I can’t complain about it and I am just happy with how things are going. I am happy I have another chance to play in two days here and it’s been an exciting tournament for me so far, but hopefully there are more exciting things ahead. I did a lot of things really well, and I had the idea of how I wanted to play. I was happy I could execute and live up to that”, said Milos Raonic in the post-match interview.

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending