The Russian pulled off an incredible comeback against the Canadian in a match that went the distance.
Danil Medvedev was pushed to the limit but managed to beat the number nine seed Felix Auger Aliassime in five sets 6-7, 3-6, 7-6, 7-5, 6-4 in four hours and 42 minutes on Rod Laver Arena.
“I really don’t know how I was able to win, I was not playing my best, and Felix was playing unbelievable and serving so well and to be honest he was all over me.”
Neither player had an issue holding serve in the first set and it was decided by a tiebreaker which was also tight with the Canadian getting the crucial break at 3-2 as he ended up winning the tiebreak 7-4.
The second set stayed on serve until 3-2 when the Montreal native earned another breakpoint and broke serve with that one break of serve was enough for him to serve out the second set.
The third set was also decided by a tiebreaker and with the world number nine looking to close out the match it started to rain and there was a short delay to close the roof.
Medvedev took full advantage getting the early break in the breaker and won it 7-2 taking the third set and sending the match into a fourth set.
The fourth once again stayed on serve until 5-4 when Auger Aliassime had a matchpoint on the Russian serve but the world number two was able to save it with a big serve.
After holding serve to make it 5-5 the Moscow native managed to break serve and served out the fourth set to send the match into a deciding fifth set.
In the second game of the fifth set after holding serve the Canadian had three more chances to break but was snubbed by the Russian big serve and the following game, Medvedev got the crucial break to take a 2-1 lead.
Auger Aliassime called for the trainer at 3-2 and took a medical timeout to work on his ankle which had been taped before the match and at 4-3 had another chance to break to go back on serve but failed to convert.
At 5-4, the world number nine had two more chances to break serve and stay alive but again was denied by the Russian who was able to serve it out and book his spot in the final four of a grand slam.
After the match, he spoke about finding ways to come back in the match and pulling off the improbable comeback.
“I want to make him work and if he wants to win he has to fight till the last point and it worked and I managed to raise my level during the game especially in the tiebreak and I felt the momentum change after the roof closed.”
Medvedev will now face the Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas in the semi-finals on Friday after he was able to beat the Italian Jannik Sinner in straight sets in a rematch from last year’s semi-final.
Roger Federer’s Team8 Considering Bid To Buy Cincinnati Masters Rights From USTA
The potential move has gained support from one former world No.1 player who says ‘it is nice to see responsible names’ in the mix to buy the prestigious event.
It is understood that sports and entertainment company Team8 which was co-founded by Roger Federer is looking into potentially submitting an application for ownership of the Cincinnati Masters, according to two sources.
Sports business publication Sportico and Steve Weissman from The Tennis Channel have both reported that the business is among a number of interested parties who want to buy the event that is best known as the Western and Southern Open. In February this year it was confirmed that the USTA is selling their 93.8% stake in the tournament for a ‘nine-figure sum.’ It is understood that the organization doesn’t want the event to be relocated from Cincinnati in part of any deal.
“The USTA’s Board of Directors believes now is the right time to explore potential strategic options and alternatives in order to optimize the long-term growth of the tournament and take the tournament to the next level,” the USTA said in a statement published by tennis.com.
The USTA brought the rights to the men’s event back in 2009 for $12.5M and has since spent an additional $65M. Whilst Cincinnati is a combined tournament, the ongoing negotiations only apply to the men’s section. The women’s tournament is overseen by Octagon management.
Neither Federer or a member of Team8 have commented on the reported plans. The company was founded by the 20-time Grand Slam champion and his agent Tony Godsick back in 2013. Since then they have been involved in the creation of the Laver Cup, became a ‘major investor’ in the Universal Tennis system and are a ‘strategic investor and partner’ to On Running.
Should Team8 become the new owners, questions may arise about conflicts of interest with Federer still being an active player on Tour. The 40-year-old is currently sidelined from action due to a knee injury but is aiming to stage a comeback at the Swiss Open later this year. However, former world No.1 Andy Roddick has given his full backing to the possible takeover.
“In the world of tennis, where conflicts of interest know no bounds at all, Roger can do this. He has, obviously, been a great steward for the game and has created an incredible relationship with the fans in the city of Cincinnati. You’d like to see it stay in the tennis family with someone who actually knows and loves our sport.” Roddick told The Tennis Channel.
Federer has won the Cincinnati Masters a record seven times in his career.
Daniil Medvedev ‘Happy To Play Wimbledon’ If Ban Is Lifted
The world No.2 says he is willing to speak with other players about the situation ahead of his return to action following surgery.
Daniil Medvedev says he is still hopeful that he might be able to play at this year’s Wimbledon Championships should officials at The All England Club decide to change their stance.
At present the reigning US Open champion will not be allowed to play at the grass court major due to his nationality. Officials at the Grand Slam have confirmed that Russian and Belarussian players have been banned from the event due to the war in Ukraine. Ian Hewitt, who is the chairman of The AELTC, said the action was taken in order to prevent ‘the propaganda machine of the Russian regime’ from potentially benefiting from their players’ success.
The ban is a controversial move for the sport which until now had a united approach when it came to allowing those players participate in tournaments but only as neutral athletes. Former Wimbledon champions Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokopvic and Andy Murray have all expressed some degree of opposition to the decision. Meanwhile, the ATP and WTA are considering the possibility of removing the allocation of ranking points at the event.
Speaking about the ban ahead of this week’s Geneva Open, Medvedev acknowledges that it is a ‘tricky situation’ but is still hopeful that a u-turn could occur which would allow him to play. The 26-year-old has made four main draw appearances at Wimbledon with his best result being a run to the fourth round last year.
“There has been a lot of talk around it. I just tried to follow what’s happening because I don’t have any decisions to make. It’s right now about Wimbledon itself, the ATP, maybe the British government is involved,” news agency AFP quoted Medvedev as telling reporters in Switzerland.
“It’s a tricky situation and like every situation in life, you ask 100 players, everybody’s going to give a different opinion.
“I can play: I’m going to be happy to play in Wimbledon. I love this tournament.
“I cannot play: well, I’m going to try to play other tournaments and prepare well for next year if I have the chance to play.”
The former world No.1 has been among a group of Russian players who have previously called for peace in the region. Although none of them have gone as far as publicly condemning the actions of their government. Something which has drawn criticism from Ukraine’s Elina Svitoliva.
“I had some time to follow what is happening, yeah, it’s very upsetting,” Medvedev commented on the war.
Geneva will be the first event Medvedev has played in since reaching the quarter-finals of the Miami Open. He took time away from the Tour to undergo hernia surgery but has confirmed he intends to play at next week’s French Open despite his lack of match play on the clay.
During his time at those events, the tennis star says he is more than happy to speak with other players about the Wimbledon ban should they want to.
“Since I haven’t been on the tour, I haven’t talked to any of them face to face. It was the first time when I came here on Saturday when I can talk to players, and if they start talking about this, we can discuss,” he said.
“I don’t know exactly what’s happening, what’s going to happen, if there are going to be more decisions made.
“Same about Wimbledon. I don’t know if this decision is 100 percent, and it’s over.”
Granted a bye in the first round, Medvedev will start his Geneva campaign against either Richard Gasquet or John Millman.
Conquering the world: Carlos Alcaraz beats Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic to cement Barcelona-Madrid titles (Part Two)
Carlos Alcaraz will now look to translate his success from the ATP Tour to Roland Garros.
In part one, I assessed how Spanish teenager Carlos Alcaraz continues to take the tennis world by storm after his victory in Barcelona.
Now I turn my attentions to his success in another famous Spanish city.
Madrid Masters victory
Alcaraz again began his Madrid Masters campaign in style, beating the dangerous Georgian Nicoloz Basilashvili in straight sets.
A stern test came in the form of Britain’s Cameron Norrie, who pushed the birthday boy that day to three sets.
Alcaraz moving through 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 to set up a blockbuster quarter-final clash with his idol Rafa Nadal.
Now, some context is needed that the 21-time Grand Slam was appearing in his first tournament back since recovering from a rib injury.
An opening round win against Serbian Miomir Kecmanović was backed up with a tight three-set triumph over Belgian David Goffin, with the veteran Spaniard saving four match points.
To his credit, Nadal pushed his young apprentice all the way, before going down 6-2, 1-6, 6-3, with the second set showing his obvious quality, despite being partially fit.
If this moment was a changing of the guard in Spanish tennis, then Alcaraz’s impressive win over Novak Djokovic could point to the man who may dominant the future of tennis.
The world number one was fortunate to play a match less, after the shock withdrawal of old rival Murray in the third-round.
But he was no match for the imperious Alcaraz who triumphed at front of the delighted home support, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 7-6 (7-5).
The first player ever to beat Nadal and Djokovic back-to-back on a clay court in the history of tennis.
And Alcaraz made it a highly commendable 5-0 in finals, destroying Germany’s Alexander Zverev 6-3, 6-1, with little challenge unlike the previous encounters with Norrie, Nadal and Djokovic.
James Spencer (Twitter: @jspencer28) – Alcaraz Verdict
In truth, I had a sneaky feeling that Alcaraz would triumph in Barcelona.
The way he is playing with such finesse and confidence, particularly against the Monte Carlo Masters champion, Stefanos Tsitsipas, was incredible to see.
Saving match points against Alex de Minaur, also showed his mettle.
He also has an unbelievable shot selection and fitness levels.
Beating Nadal and Djokovic back-to-back is no easy feat.
Often just one win knocks the stuffing out of you, mentally and physically, but not for this kid.
Alcaraz doesn’t get carried away. And this has been shown consistently this season.
Winning the Miami Masters could have led to a drop in motivation, yet he has looked even more motivated if anything.
He’s performed on hard-court and clay court surfaces with an assuring dominance.
In fact, he is unbeaten on clay this season, losing three times in total all season.
Matteo Berrettini in five at the Australian Open.
Nadal in the semis of Indian Wells in a tight three sets, that ultimately injured the elder Spaniard, which could have ramifications on his entire fitness this season, and the destination of the French Open trophy.
And a close three-set defeat to up and coming youngster Sebastian Korda in Monte Carlo.
The new world number six must surely be the new favourite to WIN the French Open later this month.
Skipping the Italian Open should help the 19-year-old heal any niggling injuries.
If he does win in Paris, he will be the youngest Grand Slam champion since you guessed it, Nadal.
Only time will tell.
ATP and WTA removes rankings points from Wimbledon
Rafael Nadal Dismisses Favourite Status And Talks About Foot Pain Ahead Of Roland Garros
Carlos Alcaraz Has The Ability To Win French Open, Says Coach Ferrero
Five Storylines To Follow In The French Open Women’s Draw
REPORT: French Open Qualifying Match Under Investigation Over Irregular Betting Patterns
Former World No.1 Simona Halep Considered Retiring In 2021
Kristijan Schneider, Former Coach Of Borna Coric And Others, Dies Aged 41
Simona Halep Unsurprised By Mass Exit Of Top Seeds At Madrid Open
Masters 1000: Madrid And Rome Will Increase Draw Size To 96 Players From 2023
‘Time To Accept The Situation And Fight’ – Rafael Nadal Targets French Open Despite Foot Concern
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
Focus2 days ago
Daria Kasatkina Praises New Racket After Discovering Form Ahead Of Roland Garros
Hot Topics3 days ago
Daniil Medvedev Weighs Up French Open Chances Following Geneva Defeat
Latest news3 days ago
Richard Gasquet upsets Danil Medvedev in Geneva
Focus1 day ago
Novak Djokovic Drawn Against Nadal And Alcaraz In Top Half Of Roland Garros Draw
Hot Topics2 days ago
Steve Flink’s French Open Men’s Tournament Preview
Grand Slam1 day ago
REPORT: French Open Qualifying Match Under Investigation Over Irregular Betting Patterns
Hot Topics2 days ago
Iga Swiatek Clear Favourite For French Open Glory But Is Still Beatable, Says Wilander
Latest news1 day ago
“Healthy Mind In A Healthy Body”: Asics To Include Psychological Support In Sponsored Players’ Contracts