REPORT: Miami Open To Be Cancelled With Possibility Of Entire Tour Suspension Amid Coronavirus Threat - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

REPORT: Miami Open To Be Cancelled With Possibility Of Entire Tour Suspension Amid Coronavirus Threat

There have been some big developments in the sport regarding Covid-19, which has now been declared as a pandemic.

Avatar

Published

on

The immediate future of the tennis tour this season has been thrown into doubt following a series of new developments that have been made in relation to the Coronavirus outbreak, according to multiple sources.

 

Earlier this week the sport suffered its biggest blow yet with the suspension of the prestigious BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells. A combined two-week tournament that sold more than 475,000 tickets in 2019. The move has cast doubt on the upcoming Miami Open, who recently published a statement that the tournament is ‘moving forward as scheduled.’ However, this positive outlook has taken a turn for the worst.

Mike Dickson from The Daily Mail has reported today that Miami will officially be cancelled based on what he described as ‘usually reliable sources.’ Dickson is a well-known tennis journalist and was issued with the Ron Bookman Media Excellence Award from the ATP in 2016.

“According to usually reliable sources an announcement is brewing to the effect that the Miami Open is officially off.” He wrote on Twitter.

Meanwhile, another source to report the cancellation of Miami is a parent of one of the players. Fabio Fognini’s father has written on Twitter that his son has told him the event has been cancelled. Since then, Sky Sport Italia has also reported the news.

Although there is no official announcement, there are strong indications that this will be the case. Music festivals Ultra and Coachella have already been cancelled or suspended. Meanwhile, in another development the US government is looking into placing travel restrictions on certain European countries.

Suspension of play?

Besides Miami, it has been confirmed that players and officials are now seriously looking into whether there should be a suspension of the entire ATP and WTA tours. Something that would have a massive financial impact on players, especially those lower in the rankings.

Russel Fuller from the BBC has confirmed that player meetings are taking place on Wednesday to discuss the crises. According to Fuller (although Ubitennis can’t confirm this) there could be a suspension of six weeks. Effectively cancelling or suspending prestigious tournaments in Charleston and Monte Carlo. Meanwhile, the Barcelona Open would be 50/50 if this was implemented.

There are also reports that the discussions could ponder a suspension of up to three months. Such an enormous decision would effectively wipe away the entire clay-court swing off the calendar and threaten the French Open. However, this is just speculation. Player meetings are renowned for their secrecy and few details are known until an official statement is released.

In other developments, the Coronavirus threat is continuing to cause nightmares around the world. At a Challenger event in Nur-Sultan, a group of players were forced to withdraw. The French and German players were told they were required to leave the city by midnight or go into quarantine. This was confirmed by Florian Heer, who runs the website Tennis Tour-talk. Those who withdrew were Yannick Maden (Germany), Enzo Couacaud (France) and Mats Moraing (Germany).

Meanwhile, the WTA Czech Open is unlikely to go ahead based on newspaper reports in the country, Monte Carlo has vowed to reimburse ticket holders if their event is played behind closed doors and Barcelona has insisted that no decision has been made about their measures yet. All three of these tournaments are set to take place in April, but that could change if a suspension is put into place.

Finally, the latest Challenger event to be officially cancelled is the Braga Open in Portugal. A very early decision from the Portuguese Tennis Federation (FPT) with the event not scheduled to start until May 11th.

SEE ALSO: Fed Cup Finals And Play-Offs Postponed Due to Coronavirus Concerns

Latest news

Marcell Granollers and Horacio Zeballos claim their third Masters 1000 title in Madrid

Avatar

Published

on

Marcell Granollers and Horacio Zeballos claimed their third ATP Masters 1000 title with a 1-6 6-3 10-8 win over Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic after 73 minutes. 

 

Granollers and Zeballos avenged their 3-6 7-5 10-4 defeat against Mektic and Pavic in the semifinal at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters. 

Both teams were tied at 1-1 after the first two games of the opening set before Mektic and Pavic earned two back-to-back breaks to win five consecutive games en route to claiming the first set 6-1 after 22 minutes 

Zeballos and Granollers got their first break of the match in the eighth game of the second set and served out for the second set in the next game forcing the final to the Match tie-break. 

Granollers and Zeballos won five of the next six points from 3-3 and converted their third match point to claim the Match tie-break 10-8. 

Granollers and Zeballos have extended their record to 5 wins to 3 defeats in eight ATP Tour finals. 

Mektic and Pavic have claimed 32 of their 36 matches in 2021. They won titles at the Antalya Open, at the Murray River Open in Melbourne, Rotterdam and finished runner-up in Miami and Monte-Carlo.

Continue Reading

Latest news

David Goffin and Pablo Carreno Busta advance to the second round in Rome

Avatar

Published

on

Former top 10 David Goffin beat Salvatore Caruso 6-4 6-1 after 1 hour and 22 minutes to reach the second round after 1 hour and 23 minutes at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. 

 

The first set started with four breaks in the first five games, as Goffin raced out to a 4-1 with three break in the opening set. Caruso pulled one break back for 2-4, but Goffin earned his third break to open up a 5-2 lead. Caruso broke back in the eighth game, but Goffin served out the first set at love. 

The Belgian player went up a set and a break in the first game of the second set. Caruso wasted two break-back points in the fourth game. Goffin won four consecutive games with two breaks to claim the second set 6-1.  Goffin set up a second round match against either Karen Khachanov or Federico Delbonis. 

Pablo Carreno Busta came back from one set down to beat Laslo Djere 4-6 6-3 6-1 after dropping just seven of his first service points. Djere claimed an immediate break in the opening game. Carreno Busta saved a double break point in the third game, but he did not earn a chance on return and went to serve only once. 

Last year’s US Open semifinalist and 2018 Madrid quarter finalist Carreno Busta saved two break points to hold serve at deuce in the first game of the second set. The Spaniard converted his fifth break point in the sixth game and dropped just eight points on serve held his next two service games to win the second set 6-3. 

Carreno Busta broke three times in the first, fifth and seventh games to cruise through to a 6-1 win in the third set. The Spanish player will face either Fabio Fognini or Kei Nishikori in the second round. Reilly Opelka beat Richard Gasquet 6-1 7-5 in 67 minutes. The US player hit 18 aces and won 79 % of his first service points. He won 12 consecutive points to open up a 3-0 lead and faced only a break point at 5-1 but he served out the first set 6-1 at deuce. The second set went on serve until the 11th game when Opelka converted his only break point to close out the second set 7-5. Opelka will face either Hubert Hurkacz or Lorenzo Musetti in the second round.

Continue Reading

ATP

Felix Auger Aliassime Goes The Distance To Win First Match In Rome

The Canadian was pushed to three sets in his opening match by Filip Krajinovic.

Avatar

Published

on

Felix Auger-Aliassime is into the second round of the BNL D’ Italia Masters in Rome after beating his Serbian opponent Filip Krajinovic in three gruelling sets 6-3, 6-7, 6-4.

 

The marathon encounter saw the Canadian hit 45 winners and 12 aces en route to victory. Avenging his loss to Krajinovic at the same tournament last year. His win-loss for the season now stands at 13-8.

” It’s always a tough match against him and I was happy I was able to win today,” the world No.20 said afterwards.

It was Krajinovic who got off to a fast start earning a breakpoint on the Montreal natives opening service game of the match and broke to take an early 1-0 lead. The Canadian responded at 2-1 earning his first two breakpoints of the match and breaking with a solid forehand winner to get the break back and go back on serve. At 3-2 the world number 20 had a chance to take the lead but it was saved by the world number 36. Nevertheless, he would go on to break for a 5-3 lead before serving out the match.

Auger-Aliassime started the second set with confidence and broke the Serb’s opening service game. It stayed on serve until the world number 20 was serving for the win when he ended up getting broken to level the set at five. The very next game the Montreal native had three looks at a breakpoint but again was denied and the second set would be decided by a tiebreaker.

The tiebreaker stayed on serve until 4-4 when Auger Aliassime managed to get the crucial break but squandered it the following point and gave his Serbian opponent a chance to serve it out which he did following a double fault.

The third and decisive set was a roller-coaster with the Canadian holding his opening service game and than having three more breakpoints which he would convert to take another early 2-0 lead. Krajinovic would respond once again earning a breakpoint the following game and getting the break back to go back on serve until 3-3 when the Serb had his first chance to take a lead in the third set but the Canadian would come up with a huge point to save it.

The next game Auger-Aliassime would have a look at another breakpoint and this time would convert to take a 5-3 and serve for the match but struggled to close it out and the world number 36 broke serve once again.

With the Serb serving to stay in the match the Canadian increased his game to another level and managed to earn two match points. Sealing his first match win in Rome with a huge forehand winner down the line.

After the match in his post match press conference Auger Aliassime spoke about how he was able to overcome the adversity of having two chances to serve it out.

” You have to believe and be resilient at times, I wanted to win badly so I dug deep and I found a way so I am happy that I was able to find a way with all the circumstances,” he said.

Auger Aliassime will next face the number eight seed at the tournament Diego Schwartzman. The Argentine currently has a 1-0 lead in their head-to-head with their last meeting coming last October in Cologne, Germany on a indoor hard court.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending