Ex-World No.78 Nicolas Kicker Gets Match-Fixing Suspension Cut - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Ex-World No.78 Nicolas Kicker Gets Match-Fixing Suspension Cut

The Argentinian is already training on the practice courts ahead of his return to the tour in the future.

Avatar

Published

on

Argentina’s Nicolas Kicker will be able to return to competitive tennis during the first month of 2021 following a decision made by the Tennis Integrity Unit on Wednesday.

 

The 27-year-old has been banned from the tour since 2018 after he was found guilty of breaking three rules of the anti-corruption programme. Including trying to contrive or attempt to contrive the outcome or any other aspect of any event, as well as failing to fully cooperate with officials. He was found guilty of breaking rules during two matches in Padova, Italy and Barranquilla, Colombia during 2015. Both of those matches were on the Challenger Tour and at the time he was ranked outside of the world’s top 150. Kicker was originally issued with a six-year ban with three of those years being suspended as long as he didn’t break any further rules.

However the TIU has now reduced Kicker’s penalty by four months due to his support to their educational programme. Including a video he appeared in where he spoke frankly about his suspension and warned other players about the consequences. The video was published on YouTube last October.

“At the time I was 70 in the world, playing Davis Cup, winning, making the third round in Australia, I beat very good players and I had my whole career ahead. That year (2018), I was going to end (the season) among the top 50 in the world.” Kicker said.
“I made a mistake in 2015 that produced a suspension, and I ruined my career, all because of one match.”

The reduction of the ban has been authorised by Independent Anti-Corruption Hearing Officer (AHO) Jane Mulcahy QC. The TIU is based in London and is funded by the seven major bodies of the sport – ITF, ATP, WTA, Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.

“The decision recognises the support given by the player to the Tennis Integrity Unit’s Education programme. In particular he co-operated with the production of an educational video charting his involvement in corruption and warning other players of the consequences.” Mulcahy ruled.

Kicker peaked at a high of 78th in the world back in 2017. He has won three Challenger titles so far in his career and featured in the main draw of four grand slam tournaments. He is allowed to return to competitive tennis from the week commencing January 23rd 20201.

ATP

Gael Monfils Joins Forces With Former Long-Time Coach Of Dominic Thiem

Will the Frenchman return to his best form with the help of his new mentor?

Avatar

Published

on

Tennis star Gael Monfils will start the 2021 season with a new team setup after confirming the appointment of a new coach.

 

The former US Open semi-finalist has paired up with the renowned Gunther Bresnik who is best known for his time spent working alongside Dominic Thiem for over a decade until their split in 2019. Thiem is now coached by Nicolas Massu. Bresnik is the former Davis Cup captain of Austria and has worked with numerous top names such as Ernests Gulbis, Jerzy Janowicz, Boris Becker and Henri Leconte.

Monfils has been training with Bresnik during the off-season but only now has it been confirmed that the two have formed an agreement to work together. However, over the coming weeks Monfils will be guided by another Austrian. Co-coach Richard Ruckelshausen will work with the world No.11 in Australia and has been appointed as the captain of the French ATP Cup team.

“I’ve known Gaël for a long time,” Bresnik told krone.at on January 9th. “With Ernests Gulbis and Stefan Lochbihler’s son, he worked on his shape here in Spain (during the off-season).”

The 34-year-old will be looking to get back on top form following what was a roller-coaster 2020. Monfils started last year by winning 16 matches within a three-month period. However, following the pause in tennis due to the COVID-19 pandemic he struggled to regain that form. Ending the season with three consecutive first round losses.

Monfils had been working with Liam Smith. The upcoming Australian Open will be his 54th appearance in a Grand Slam main draw. He has only reached the quarter-finals at the Melbourne major once which was back in 2016.

So far in his career Monfils has won 10 ATP titles and has been ranked as high as sixth in the world.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alex de Minaur Says US Open Breakthrough Was A ‘Dark Time’ For Him

A milestone performance at a major is usually a reason for celebration but for the world No.23 it was bittersweet.

Avatar

Published

on

A turbulent 2020 season marred by the devastating COVID-19 pandemic has only added fuel to the fire for Australia’s top ranked player Alex de Minaur.

 

The 21-year-old Sydney-born player is currently ranked just five places below his career high at 23rd in the world. At present he is the third youngest player in the top 30 on the ATP Tour after the Canadian duo of Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime.

Last year de Minaur broke new territory at the US Open with a run to the quarter-finals in what is his best performance at a Grand Slam to date. At Flushing Meadows he scored wins over the likes of Richard Gasquet, Karen Khachanov and Vasek Pospisil. He was stopped in his tracks by Dominic Thiem who went on to win the title.

Despite his New York run, de Minaur believes it wasn’t his ‘best achievement.’ Even though he had only reached the fourth round of a major once in 11 attempts leading up to it. For him, mentally he wasn’t in the best place due to the effects lockdown had on him last year. During the 2020 Tour shutdown he was residing in his training camp in Spain.

2020 was a tough year. Obviously I had my best result at a Slam (Grand Slam tournament) but it doesn’t feel like my best achievement, de Minaur told ABC News Australia.
“It was still a dark time. I wasn’t feeling great. It was just mentally — I wouldn’t say — my best performance.
“I ended up putting a couple of matches together and I had my best result. It’s still something to be proud of but still 2020 as a whole, I would say, I had a lot of expectations for it and … it’s just fuelling the hunger for 2021, to make it even better.”

Striving for a bigger and better year, the Australian started 2021 off in the best possible way by winning his fourth ATP title at the Antalya Open in Turkey. His most high-profile win at the tournament was over world No.16 David Goffin in the semi-finals. As for the months ahead, de Minaur is staying coy about his expectations.

I’ve got my goal in my head of where I want to be when 2021 finishes up, but it’s a goal that I don’t like to say out loud,” he said.
“It’s a goal that me and my team had and this is a strong start. Realistically I want to keep pushing myself up the rankings, keep putting myself at the end of weeks and keep pushing these top guys.
“That’s where I believe I should be and where I want to be and I’ll do everything I can to get there.”

The next test will be the ATP Cup where de Minaur will be hoping to guide his country to the title. It was at the tournament last year where he suffered an injury which ruled him out of the Australian Open.

“Hopefully I can be playing my best tennis at the ATP Cup and the Aussie Open,” he concluded.

Continue Reading

ATP

Andy Murray won’t travel to Australia

Andy Murray will miss next month’s Australian Open after testing positive for COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago.

Avatar

Published

on

Andy Murray (@the_LTA - Twitter)

Andy Murray has made it official, he won’t be making the trip down under after working with Tennis Australia to find a viable solution to make it work.

 

“We’ve been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try and find a solution which would allow some form of workable quarantine, but we couldn’t make it work.”

Murray was scheduled to fly to Australia with one of charter flights but due to a positive Covid test wasn’t able to make the flight and put his tournament in jeopardy.

Although he missed the chartered flights there was still a small chance he would play but had to workout an agreement with Tennis Australia to make it work. However it didn’t work and was gutted with the news.

“I want to thank everyone there for their efforts, I’m devastated not to be playing out in Australia. It’s a country and tournament that I love.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending