World No.84 Nicolas Kicker Found Guilty Of Match-Fixing - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

World No.84 Nicolas Kicker Found Guilty Of Match-Fixing

The Argentine has been found guilty of ‘contriving the outcome of a match’ on two separate occasions during 2015.

Published

on

 

The Tennis Integrity Unit has found Argentina’s Nicolas Kicker guilty of match-fixing and has suspended him from the tour in what is one of the most high profile anti-corruption cases in recent years.

Kicker, who has won three Challenger titles during his career, has been suspended from all tennis events sanctioned by the governing bodies of the sport until further notice. The governing bodies are the ITF, ATP, WTA and Grand Slam board. In a statement published by the TIU on Thursday evening, the 25-year-old has been found guilty of breaching three rules of the anti-corruption programme. A hearing into the case took place in Miami on March 25th this year, followed by a investigation by the TIU.

“Having been found guilty of all charges, he will be sanctioned at a future date to be determined by Independent Anti-Corruption Hearing Officer (AHO) Jane Mulcahy,” said a TIU statement.
“Details of the decision on sanctions will be made public when received.”

The penalty issued to the world No.84 is in relation to the 2015 season. During that year he was found to be guilty of ‘contriving the outcome’ of two separate matches. One of those occurred at the Padova Open in Italy, where Kicker lost 6-1, 6-2, to Lee Duck-hee in the first round. The next incident occurred later that year at the Barranquilla Open in Colombia. The Argentine was seeded eighth in the draw, but lost 5-7, 6-2, 7-5, to Giovanni Lapentti.

It was at the Barranquilla Open where questions mounted over the Argentine. Website sportdw.com wrote an article called ‘how to fix a match (by Nicolas Kicker).‘ In the article, it found evidence that there was almost £700,000 matched on Betfair on the match market concerning his first round loss.

“There is virtually no way to explain the movement of the betting odds other than that someone knew the outcome of the match before it happened. An injury might have moved the odds to an extent, but there was no indication of any injury.” Writes Sport DW.

Kicker later withdrew from the doubles draw of the tournament, citing a back injury as the reason.

During the TIU investigation, Kicker has also been found guilty of failing to report a corrupt approach to authorities. As well as refusing to cooperate with the TIU over the allegations made against him.

Kicker had been playing on the tour until this week at the Lyon Open where he lost in the first round. Earlier this year he reached the third round of both the Australian Open and the BNP Paribas Masters in Indian Wells. He has a ranking high of 78th, which was achieved in 2017. He is yet to comment about his suspension.

List of rules Kicker has breeched, according to the TIU

Section D.1.d: “No Covered Person shall, directly or indirectly, contrive or attempt to contrive the outcome or any other aspect of any Event.”
Section D.2.c:For the avoidance of doubt, (i) a failure of the Reporting Obligation by any Covered Person; and/or (ii) a failure of the duty to co-operate under Section F.2 shall constitute a Corruption Offense for all purposes of the Program.”
Section F.2.b: “All Covered Persons must co-operate fully with investigations conducted by the TIU including giving evidence at hearings, if requested. No Covered Person shall tamper with or destroy any evidence or other information related to any Corruption Offense.”

Focus

Stefanos Tsitsipas: “I will miss Wimbledon and I can’t wait to 2021”

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas said that the Wimbledon cancellation news was just an April fool after organizers of the famous British tournament called off their Grand Slam event due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and public health concerns.

 

Tsitsipas made his debut at Wimbledon in 2017 and reached the fourth round in 2018. He lost to Stefano Travaglia in the opening round at Wimbledon last year, but he bounced back winning the ATP Finals in London.

This year Tsitsipas won the Marseille title for the second consecutive year and lost the Dubai final against Novak Djokovic in Dubai. He lost to Milos Raonic in the third round at the Australian Open. At the inaugural edition of the ATP Cup in Australia he beat Alexander Zverev and lost to Denis Shapovalov and Nick Kyrgios.

Tsitsipas was the first Greek player to break into the top 5 and the first player from his country to reach a Grand Slam semifinal at the Australian Open in 2019. Last year he scored the biggest win of his career against Novak Djokovic in Shanghai and won three titles in Marseille and Estoril. He finished runner-up to Roger Federer in Dubai and to Dominic Thiem in Beijing.

“I went to bed thinking this was all a bad April fools joke but I woke up today to find that Wimbledon is actually cancelled. I will miss this special event and I can’t wait to 2021. Stay home. Stay sane”, wrote Tsitsipas in a Twitter post.

Continue Reading

Focus

Roger Federer: “We experience difficult times, we arise from it strengthened”

Published

on

Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has confirmed that he is planning to play in Halle in 2021 after the historic German grass tournament was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The ATP has extended the suspension of the tour until 13th July. Federer was expected to play in Halle, a tournament where he won ten times and reached 13 finals. He made his debut in Halle in 2000 during his career.

 

“We experience difficult times, however, we will arise from it strengthened. Already today I am glad and excited about my return to Halle next year. Stay healthy”, said Federer in a statement released on the Halle tournament website.

 Federer also won eight Wimbledon titles, which was also called off for the first time since 1945 due to public health concerns due to the coronavirus outbreak.

 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Angelique Kerber: “I am heavy-hearted about the cancellation of the grass season”

Published

on

Former Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber has posted her thought on the Wimbledon cancellation.

 

“The thought of playing at Wimbledon has always been the biggest source of my motivation. It goes without saying that I I am heavy hearted that the cancellation of the grass court season also means that I won’t be able to play in front of my home crowd in sport unites, in good and bad times. Once this has passed, it may even help us appreciate our everydayday routines and the beauty of our sport even more than before. Thanks to everyone who is working 24/7 to get us through this uncertain time”.

The German player of Polish origin won three Grand Slam titles at the Australian Open and at the US Open in 2016 and at Wimbledon in 2018. She won the Olympic singles silver medal in Rio de Janeiro 2016 losing in the final to Monica Puig.

Kerber lost to Samantha Stosur in the first round in Brisbane. Kerber beat Wang Qiang in straight sets in the first round before retiring from her second round match against Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska due to a left harmstring injury, after the German player was down a set and a break.

At the Australian Open Kerber beat Elisabetta Cocciaretto, Priscilla Hon, Camila Giorgi before losing to Anastasya Pavlyuchenkova. She is currently ranked world number 21 in the WTA Ranking.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending