Injury Mars Juan Martin Del Potro’s First Grass-Court Win Of 2019 At Queen’s - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Injury Mars Juan Martin Del Potro’s First Grass-Court Win Of 2019 At Queen’s

Alarm bells are ringing for Del Potro and his fans.

Published

on

photo by Alberto Pezzali

LONDON: Doubts has been cast over Juan Martin del Potro’s future presence at the Fever-Tree Championships after he aggravated a knee injury during his first round match.

 

Facing Canada’s Denis Shapovalov in the first round of the Fever-tree Championships, the Argentine prevailed 7-5, 6-4. Overcoming the threat posed from both his opponent and surface he was playing on. In both sets, it was a case of Shapovalov faltering at the worst possible moment. At 5-5 in the opener, an error-stricken service game from the Canadian concluded with a double fault. Rewarding del Potro the break and a chance to serve the set out. A task he achieved with the help of an ace. In the second set, it was another lackluster Shapovalov service game that the Argentine capitalized on to break once again on route to victory.

“It has been such a long time since I played this tournament. I’m happy that I am here.” Del Potro told BBC Sport afterward.

Towards the closing stages of the match, fears were raised when the Argentine slipped on the grass. Something he did a few times throughout the match. Although this time it appeared that he was in discomfort.

“Juan Martin del Potro finished his first round match with pain and swelling around his right knee after slipping close to the net in the eighth game of the second set.” Agent Jorge Viale said in a statement afterward.
“In the next few hours, medical studies will be carried out to determine the degree of injury.”

Queen’s is only Del Potro’s fifth tournament of the season. He has only been able to play one tournament during the first four months of 2019 due to a knee injury. A familiar trend for the former US Open champion. Since 2010, he has missed 36 months of the tour due to numerous problems.

The injury timeline
Jan-Sep 10: right wrist (8 months)
Feb-Jan 14-15: Left wrist (11 months)
Mar-Feb 15-16: left wrist (11 months)
Oct-Feb 18-19: right knee (4 months)
Feb-Apr 19: right knee (2 months)

At The Queen’s Club, Del Potro didn’t speak with the media following his first-round match.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

Stefanos Tsitsipas starts his Australian Open campaign with a straight-set win over Salvatore Caruso

Published

on

Last year’s Australian Open semifinalist and ATP Finals champion Stefanos Tsitsipas dropped just five games in his 6-0 6-2 6-3 win over Italy’s Salvatore Caruso after 1 hour and 43 minutes.

 

Tsitsipas earned three consecutive breaks to cruise to a bagel win in the opening set. Caruso saved the first break point and held his first service game to draw level to 1-1, but she Tsitsipas converted his third break point chance at deuce to open up a 3-1 lead. The Greek player earned his second break at love in the eighth game.

Tsitsipas went up a break at love in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Caruso saved three match points in the eighth game at 2-5 to prolong the match, but Tsitsipas served out the win at 30 with an ace down middle the court in the ninth game after 1 hour and 45 minutes setting up a second round match against either Phillip Kohlschreiber or Marcos Giron.

“Today I tried to stay calm. That was something that I had really in the back of my head, trying to stay calm, be aggressive on and off the court. I would describe the match the match as very stable. Throughout the match I was very focused. I was in the zone, and I am very happy with my first set. It was almost perfect. I don’t remember the last time that I won a set 6-0. It was a good quality tennis. Let’s not forget the people here. The people that bring the energy. I will give it to them”, said Tsitsipas in the post-match interview.

Continue Reading

ATP

Matteo Berrettini cruises past wild card Andrew Harris to advance to the Australian Open second round

Published

on

Number 8 seed and 2019 US Open semifinalist Matteo Berrettini cruised past Australian wild card Andrew Harris 6-3 6-1 6-3 in the first round of the Australian Open at Melbourne Park.

 

Berrettini converted five of his nine break points and hit 38 winners. The Italian player won the opening set 6-3 with a break in the second game at deuce and the second set with three consecutive breaks.

Berrettini came back from 0-40 down by winning five consecutive points in the sixth game of the third set to earn the break at deuce for 4-2 when Harris hit a forehand into the net. Berrettini sealed the win with a big forehand on the match point after 1 hour and 55 minutes.

Berrettini will take on either US Tennys Sandgren or Argentine qualifier Marco Trungelliti.

“It’s always tough because I played my last official match in November. I figured out how to play my best tennis, so I am really happy with my performance. Like always, I am going round by round. I am happy that I am healthy and playing well”, said Berrettini.

Last year’s Next Gen ATP Finals champion Jannick Sinner was leading 7-6 (7-2) 6-2 4-4, before the match was suspended due to rain. The Italian rising star converted four of his eight break points. Sinner went down a break in the seventh game to trail 3-5 in the opening set, but he broke back in the 10th game before winning the tie-break 7-2. Sinner broke twice to win the second set 6-2. Sinner went up a break in the sixth game to take a 4-2 lead, but Purcell broke back in the eighth game to draw level to 4-4.   Sinner, who is making his first appearance at Melbourne Park, holds a 15-30 lead at 4-4 in the third set.

Sam Querrey stunned Borna Coric 6-3 6-4 6-4 setting up a second round match against Lithuania’s Ricardas Berankis, who eased past Roberto Carballes Baena 6-4 6-2 6-2.

Guido Pella edged Australian wild card John Patrick Smith 6-3 7-5 6-4 to secure his spot in the second round, where he will face France’s Gregoire Barrere, who came back from one set down to beat Egyptian qualifier Mohamed Safwat 6-7 (8-10) 7-6 (7-1) 6-4 7-6 (7-5).

Continue Reading

ATP

Grigor Dimitrov Causes A Stir At Australian Open With Crazy Outfit

The world No.20 has split opinion about what he is wearing at Melbourne Park.

Published

on

Grigor Dimitrov’s first round match at the Australian Open didn’t centre round how or who he was playing. It was about what he was wearing on the court.

 

The former Wimbledon semi-finalist triggered a mass reaction on social media when walking into the Melbourne Arena wearing a navy blue Nike spotted tracksuit. A decision by the Bulgarian that has split opinion among tennis fans. Although Dimitrov has no regrets about the outfit, which he helped design along with Nike.

“It is! I just don’t wanna be a vanilla. I love being different,” the 28-year-old told reporters when asked if it was a fashion statement.

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsAUS/status/1219140520036851712

Besides the tracksuit, the 18th seed also caught the attention of fans with what he was wearing underneath. His abstract T-shirt featured a combination of white, black, pink and red. Drawing more questions about the decision behind what he is wearing on the courts in Melbourne. His shorts are more orthodox with just a plain navy blue colour.

In his first round match, Dimitrov battled back from a set down to edge out Argentina’s Juan Ignacio Londero 4-6, 6-2, 6-0, 6-4. During the at times roller coaster encounter, the world No.20 hit 17 aces and blasted 47 winners past his opponent. Recording his third win of the season following his two singles victories during the ATP Cup.

“I was just trying to get my rhythm. It was a very tough first set. I was unable to find my striking zone and did a lot of unforced errors.” A critically speaking Dimitrov commented during his on-court interview.

Dimitrov will play either Tommy Paul or Leonardo Mayer in the second round.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending