Two weeks ago marked the start of a new era in the world of men’s professional tennis with the revamped Davis Cup getting underway.
In August 2018, the ITF voted in favour of making a series of controversial changes to the 119-year-old team competition. A move that divided the tennis community. In November the finals of the tournament will be held over a week and hosted at one location in Madrid. Removing the tradition of home and away ties. As a compromise, the governing body agreed for the February play-offs to be still held under the old system, but the matches would only be played in a best-of-three.
Dirk Hordorff is the vice-president of the German Tennis Federation (DTB). An association that has been against the Davis Cup changes from the beginning. Hordorff had previously named the European countries that voted for the changes, which has been backed by a 25-year $3 billion investment from Kosmos. A company founded by Barcelona F.C. footballer Gerard Pique.
“For sure, if you lose a vote you want to make others responsible for this. To be honest, the ITF and Kosmos tried to Campaign for the new Davis Cup System, and they made this very professionally.” Hordorff told Ubitennis on Tuesday.
“Unfortunately, some countries only believed in the promised money and voted against their Tennis interest, other voted for the new System just because they thought, the old System needed a Reform, and some other voted without even understanding what they did.”
Under the new format, the ITF has stated that many tennis federations around the world will be better off. Pointing out an increase in nations income from the competition and a new player prize fund of $20 million will be in place for the finals.
“My only hope is that the given promises of the ITF and Kosmos will be fulfilled and the whole Davis Cup will not be damaged in reason that Kosmos will reject after they are losing money.” Hordorff reflected.
Another new development involved the ranking of the teams in the competition. Countries have been assigned a ranking based on their results over the past four years. Something that has infuriated the Polish Tennis Federation (PZT). Poland has been placed into World Group III under the new format. Even though they scored wins over Romania, Slovenia and Zimbabwe last year to qualify for Group I under the old system. The PZT has launched an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Supporting Poland, Luxembourg has sent a formal letter to the ITF. In it, the federation said they ‘disagreed’ and was ‘disappointed’ by the new system. The letter has also been signed by the national director of the Davis Cup, Markus Stegmann. Whilst the move have been welcomed, Hordorff points out Luxemburg’s absence from the Davis Cup vote last year.
“Luxembourg should have attended the AGM in Orlando and vote against the Davis Cup Reform.” He said.
“The DTB had a clear position in Orlando, we voted against the Davis Cup Reform and we still have the same point of view.
“We also made clear, that we believe that the Transition Tour is badly planned and we are not in favour of this. But there was no vote about this, in fact that this is a management decision and they don’t need the nations vote to make this happen.” He added.
Poland’s situation is not a unique one. Both Namibia and Kenya qualified for the Euro/Africa Group II in 2018, but now they are not ranked high enough to play in that category. James Kenani, who is the chairman of Tennis Kenya, said his country has a disadvantage because they didn’t play in the Davis Cup during 2015. Therefore they were unable to win any ranking points.
Kenya, along with Poland, launched an appeal to the ITF Arbitration Committee in London, but were unsuccessful.
The 2019 election
In September there are set to be presidential elections taking place at the ITF. The position has been held by David Haggerty since 2015. A longtime tennis industry executive, Haggerty had previously served as the chairman of Head U.S.A and worked for the USTA. Under his presidency, the American has overseen the transformation of the Davis Cup and the implementation of the Transition Tour. Both of which have been controversial.
“The last four years under Dave Haggerty was a Disaster for Tennis. But it’s not only him who is responsible for this mess.“ Hordorff stated.
At the end of last year Ireland’s Dave Miley has said he would challenge for the presidency. Miley had previously worked for the ITF for 25 years and was once in charge of overseeing the juniors, veterans and wheelchair activities of the organisation.
It is unclear as to how likely it would be that Haggerty will be re-elected for a second term. Although Hordorff believes it is time for a ‘new leadership’ to be implemented.
“I only can hope that the ITF gets a Leadership which is serving the game and take care of the interest of their member nations.” He said.
“What the ITF needs is a new leadership with clear vision, with management skills, with an understanding of how to unite the nations and to work together with the different governing organisations in Tennis like WTA and ATP.”
The ITF election will take place during the annual AGM meeting in Lisbon, Portugal. The conference will take place between September 24-27.
Part 1 of Ubitennis’ interview with Hordorff can be read here – EXCLUSIVE: ‘I’ve Been Contacted By 200 Players’ – Tennis Chief Hordorff On Why The Transition Tour Must Change
EXCLUSIVE: Yoshihito Nishioka’s Coach On Injury Setback, US Open Showdown With Wawrinka
The road to Yoshihito Nishioka’s first round match at this year’s US Open has been a frustrating one.
In June the 27-year-old looked to be on the verge of reaching his best tennis at the French Open where he made the fourth round for the first time in his career. Nishioka’s run in Paris was not a one-off with the Japanese player also making the last 16 of the Australian Open in January. However, since the French Open, he has only been able to register one win on the Tour.
In recent months he has struggled with a stress fracture on his femur that cut short his grass-court campaign and resulted in him missing four weeks of crucial training. After losing his opening match at Wimbledon, he played four tournaments across North America with his sole triumph being against Gregoire Barrere in Cincinnati.
Guiding Nishioka on the Tour is his coach Christian Zahalka who has previously worked with the likes of Marina Erakovic, Nadia Petrova, Kimiko Date and Misaki Doi. The two began working together last year.
“Yoshi injured himself at Roland Garros that pretty much cost us the whole grass court season and we could not practice for a month,” Zahalka told Ubitennis on the first day of the US Open.
“So honestly we are playing a bit catch up to regain form the last few events. But we are getting close.”
Nishioka faces a tricky first round encounter at Flushing Meadows where he will play Stan Wawrinka, who won the tournament in 2016. Their only previous meeting saw the Swiss veteran prevail in three sets but that was six years ago in Indian Wells.
“Wawrinka is a highly motivated player at the moment,” said Zahalka. “It will be a difficult first round match with a big fight needed from Yoshi.”
Nishioka is currently ranked five places higher than his upcoming opponent at 44th in the ATP Pepperstone rankings. However, he is yet to shine at the US Open where he will be making his ninth main draw appearance this year. He has lost in the first round six times and the second round twice. The only players he has beaten at the event were Paul-Henri Mathieu in 2015 and Feliciano Lopez in 2019.
Despite the disappointing results, Zahalka is staying upbeat about Nishioka’s chances in New York.
“This is my first US Open with Japanese Rock so I cannot comment on what happened in the past here,” he said.
“But I see no reason why he cannot have success at the US Open.”
Nishioka’s clash with Wawrinka is scheduled to take place on Tuesday. He is one of four Japanese players in the men’s main draw this year.
EXCLUSIVE: Saudi Arabia’s Plans For Hosting The Next Gen Finals
Tennis is heading to the country following weeks of speculation. Although there is likely to be some criticism coming amid the intention of organisers to hold the event during the offseason in December from 2024 onwards.
Sources have confirmed to Ubitennis that the ATP Next Gen Finals will be moved to Saudi Arabia from this year onwards with the inaugural event taking place immediately after the Davis Cup Finals.
Jeddah will be the event’s host city which features the eight highest-ranked players under the age of 21. According to those familiar with the situation, the 2023 edition had initially been planned to take place in December but had to be brought forward due to the FIFA Club World Cup tournament which will be hosted at the same venue. It wasn’t confirmed until last month that the football tournament will be played in Jeddah in what was described to Ubitennis as a ‘last-minute change.’
The prospect of hosting the tournament immediately after the Davis Cup finals could be problematic at the end of a long season. However, this situation is trying to be played down as a one-off.
It will be held on at the King Abdullah Sports City where the venue has six tennis courts just outside the main stadium, as well as another indoor arena that can hold up to 12,000 people. Other events to have been hosted there include the 2021 International Handball Federation Men’s Super Globe tournament, as well as a boxing match between Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua.
What is the most striking aspect of the plans is the report that from 2024 the Next Gen finals will take place over a week during the second part of December which is in the middle of the off-season. It is unclear why the ATP have pushed for such a thing to occur and why they have agreed to this. During the bidding process for a host city, they said the following in March:-
‘This year’s tournament is expected to take place in December, with the exact dates to be determined with the successful bidder.’
One explanation for such a date might be the number of exhibition events that take place in the Middle East during this time. So instead of players participating in them, they would play this event. However, the idea of expanding an already long Tour calendar is one that will attract criticism. Plus there is yet to be any public response from players who might influence the current plans.
ATP CEO Andrea Gaudenzi recently told The Financial Times that ‘positive’ talks have taken place with officials from Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile, WTA boss Steve Simon visited the country earlier this year and was said to be highly impressed. It appears that both governing bodies are interested in investment from the country as long as it doesn’t have significant implications on the Tour’s structure which has happened in other sports.
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund has invested heavily in sports, including the £300M takeover of football team Newcastle United. In golf, they funded the LIV Tour which split the sport before a shock merger between the Tour’s was announced a few weeks ago.
Critics have accused the Middle Eastern nation of using sport to help improve its image which has been marred by allegations of human rights violations. This is commonly known as sportswashing.
One of those concerns is related to LGBT players playing in the country. A Saudi official told Ubitennis that gay players or media members would be welcome with their partners as long as they respect local culture. Basically, public displays of homosexuality will not be encouraged and could prompt a backlash from locals.
“I think the WTA is going to make sure that we are in a safe environment,” openly gay player Greet Minnen told Ubitennis. “All the LGBT players are wise enough to not provoke anything or hold hands when we are not at the (tennis) club.’
“I think we have to respect the culture there but it’s not going to be an issue as the WTA will make sure it is a safe environment for us.”
The Next Gen finals began in 2017 and had been hosted in Milan until now. Previous winners include Jannik Sinner, Carlos Alcaraz and Brandon Nakashima.
It is understood that a contract confirming the relocation of the event to Saudi Arabia will be signed next month.
Conchita Martinez: How Acaraz Can Improve, Muguruza’s Future And Advice For Andreeva
Almost 30 years have passed since Conchita Martinez won the biggest title of her career at Wimbledon.
In 1994 she battled to a three-set win over nine-time champion Martina Navratilova to become the first-ever Spanish woman to claim the title. The triumph occurred in just her third main draw appearance at the Grand Slam. Since then only one other player from Martinez’s country has managed to emulate her in the women’s tournament. That was Garbine Muguruza in 2017 who has been mentored by the former champion in recent years.
Martinez is in action again this year at The All England Club where she is taking part in the women’s invitational doubles tournament. On Tuesday morning Ubitennis caught up with the former world No.2 during an hour-long media session that featured a series of former champions.
In her home country, the talking point of the sport concerns the rapid rise of Carlos Alcaraz who at 20 has already won one Grand Slam trophy, four Masters 1000 events, and has spent almost 30 weeks as world No.1.
“I think he is already doing an amazing job but, of course, there is still a lot of room for improvement,” Martinez tells Ubitennis.
As to what these improvements are, the 51-year-old believes Alcaraz needs to explore coming to the net more often, especially when playing on the grass. According to Wimbledon’s official statistics, in his first four matches played this year, the top seed has come to the net on 83 occasions and won the point 56 times. This equates to a winning percentage of 67.5%.
“I would like to see him, especially on the grass, go to the net a little bit more sometimes,” she said.
“He does this on other surfaces and is very brave. When he’s down a break point and then does a serve and volley to win the point, this is great for his confidence.’
“He needs to work on everything. His slice and going to the net. From the back, he is doing amazing and is very aggressive. He can hold the point when he wants to, so he needs to work on that to become an even better player.”
The current status of Mugurza
Martinez speaks about Alcaraz from the perspective of both a player and a coach. After winning 33 WTA titles before retiring, she went into the world of coaching. Her work with Muguruza was recognised in 2021 when she was named WTA Coach of the Year. She has also had stints mentoring former world No.1 Karolina Pliskova and was captain of her country’s Billie Jean King Cup team.
Martinez’s work with Muguruza has been put on ice for the foreseeable future after the tennis star opted to take an extended break from the sport. She confirmed that Muguruza will not be playing again this year on the Tour and a return date is still to be decided.
“She is taking her time and will not be playing again this year. We will see when she is going to start practising for next year,” Martinez explained.
“Every week we chat and see how she’s doing. She’s enjoying her time off right now.”
Even when Muguruza does come back to action there is no guarantee that this successful partnership will resume.
“We have to see. We stopped as she was going to take a longer time off than expected so we parted ways but you never say no to what may happen in the future,” she commented.
Muguruza’s decision to step away from tennis followed a series of disappointing results. In a social media post earlier this year, the two-time Grand Slam champion said she wanted to spend more time with her friends and family which has been ‘healthy’ for her.
Advice for Andreeva
It is not the first time a player has had to step away from the limelight due to the demands of playing tennis. Trying to deal with Tour life is far from easy, especially for younger players.
One of those rising stars is 16-year-old Mirra Adreeva who reached the fourth round of Wimbledon as a qualifier on her debut. She almost booked a place in the quarter-finals after leading Madrid Keys by a set and 4-1 but lost. If she had won, Andreeva would have been the youngest Wimbledon quarter-finalist since 1997.
So what advice would Martinez, who also reached the fourth round of a major at the age of 16, give to a rising star such as Andreeva?
“You have to have a very good group of people around you that are going to keep you humble and fit,” she said.
“I think she does that. She’s winning matches, going far in Grand Slams, and beating great players.’
“You have to see next year how she will cope with defending points. The most important thing is that she keeps practising and focusing on what she has to do to get better. It’s great what she is doing now but she has to maintain it.”
Martinez won more than 700 matches during her time on the Tour.
Novak Djokovic Calls For Changes To Tennis’ Partnerships With Betting Companies
Andy Murray Sets Sights On Fifth Olympic Games
Caroline Garcia Books Showdown With Sakkari In Guadalajara
Andy Murray reaches the quarter final in Zhuhai
India’s Sumit Nagal Receives Sponsorship Boost After Revelling Financial Struggles
‘Bulls**t’ – Expert Involved In Simona Halep’s Anti-Doping Case Blasts Four-Year Ban
Maria Sakkari ‘Scared’ Of Anti-Doping Testing Measures After Halep Ban
Gutsy Novak Djokovic Prevails In Grueling Battle With Medvedev To Win US Open
Holger Rune Accuses US Open Of Disrespect Over First Round Scheduling
Holger Rune ‘Disappointed’ With US Open Scheduling But Blames Shock Exit On Something Else
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Steve Flink, Ubaldo Scanagatta Review The 2023 Wimbledon Men’s Final
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Steve Flink, Ubaldo Scanagatta Review The 2023 Wimbledon Women’s Final
(VIDEO): Novak Djokovic Faces Sinner Test, Women’s Semis Take Centre Stage
(VIDEO): Novak Djokovic Sets Rublev Quarter-Final Clash
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Plenty Of Surprises Could Occur In This Year’s Wimbledon Women’s Draw
Latest news3 days ago
Jannik Sinner starts his autumn campaign in Beijing with the goal to qualify for the ATP Finals
Hot Topics2 days ago
Iga Swiatek Dismisses Criticism Over Recent US Open Exit
Hot Topics2 days ago
Headliners Ons Jabeur, Maria Sakkari Off To A Winning Start In Guadalajara
Focus1 day ago
India’s Sumit Nagal Receives Sponsorship Boost After Revelling Financial Struggles
Hot Topics1 day ago
Injury-Stricken Emma Raducanu Outlines Comeback Plans
Latest news1 day ago
Andy Murray reaches the quarter final in Zhuhai
Hot Topics1 day ago
Top seed Ons Jabeur Crashes Out Of Guadalajara As Sakkari Sails Through
Latest news2 days ago
Caroline Garcia, Victoria Azarenka and Ons Jabeur to reach the Round of 16 at the Guadalajara Open