REPORT: Novak Djokovic Set To Miss The US Open - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

REPORT: Novak Djokovic Set To Miss The US Open

Published

on

Novak Djokovic is “99% likely” to miss the US Open according to a Serbian doctor that conducted an examination on his elbow.

 

Dr Zdenko Milinkovic spoke about the injury during an interview with Serbian newspaper Sportski žurnal. He explained that Djokovic is required to rest for a period of 6-12 weeks in order to fully recover from his injury. Putting both the US Open and Davis Cup in serious doubt.

“Symptoms have calmed down, he was with a specialist in Toronto, on additional tests.” Said Milinkovic. “He also consulted our experts, of course.”
“Now it’s important to look at the different types of procedures that can affect recovery.” He added.

Elaborating on the nature of the injury, it is understood that the injury has worsened due to ‘excessive playing.’ Djokovic won the Eastbourne Open a week before entering the Wimbledon Championships. At SW19 he reached the quarter-finals before retiring in his match against Tomas Berdych.

“He has a bruised bone due to excessive playing. He did not have enough of a pause, Novak clenched his teeth and continued playing despite a serious injury. It was always a big concern for me as his friend.” Said Milinkovic.

Speculation about Djokovic’s season mounted over the weekend. It was confirmed that he will be hosting a press conference in Belgrade later this week. It is expected that will be when he will confirm his plans for the rest of the year.

‘These things happen’

Djokovic has been troubled by the issue on and off over the past 18-months and also withdrew from the Miami Masters due to his elbow. Following his Wimbledon exit, the 30-year-old maintain a positive outlook about his latest setback.

“At a certain stage of your career, you’re going to experience these kind of things.” He said earlier this month.
“Professional tennis has gotten very physical in the last couple of years. It’s not easy to play on the highest level throughout the entire season then be able to do that over and over again every season, and then stay healthy.
“At the end of the day, we’re all humans.”

Should Djokovic spend the full 12 weeks resting, it is uncertain if he will return to the tour this year. There is a chance they he could play some tournaments in Asia during October followed by the Paris Masters.

During the second half of the season, Djokovic has 3740 points to defend on the tour. He is currently ranked fourth in the world.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Caroline Garcia continues working with Juan Pablo Guzman for the 2023 season

Published

on

Caroline Garcia will continue working with Argentine coach Juan Pablo Guzman during the 2023 season. However, Guzman will not travel with the French player in every tournament. 

 

Garcia won the WTA Finals title in Fort Worth last November beating Maria Sakkari in the semifinal and Aryna Sabalenka in the final. The Lyon-based player moved up to world number 4 in the singles ranking. During her great season Garcia won the Cincinnati WTA 1000 title and lost to Ons Jabeur in the semifinals of the US Open. 

After a well-deserved holiday Garcia will continue her preparation in Dubai. She will play in an exhibition tournament there and will play against Roland Garros and US Open champion Iga Swiatek, 2021 Indian Wells champion Paula Badosa and 2022 Wimbledon winner Elena Rybakina. She will open her WTA season in Adelaide next January in the build-up to the Australian Open in Melbourne from 16 to 29 January 2023. 

Continue Reading

Focus

Rafael Nadal ‘Excited’ For Showdown With Alcaraz In Las Vegas 

‘The Slam: Nadal Vs. Alcaraz’ will take place in the lead-up to Indian Wells with a charity fundraising event also being held. 

Published

on

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - APRIL 23: Rafael Nadal of Spain celebrates a point against Albert Ramos-Vinolas of Spain in the final on day eight of the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 23, 2017 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo via https://newsroom.mgmresorts.com)

The current top two players in men’s tennis will lock horns in Nevada next March after agreeing to take part in an exhibition match organized by MGM Rewards. 

 

Carlos Alcaraz and Rafael Nadal will play against each other at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on March 5th which will be hosted by MGM Resorts International. The 16,800-seat multi-purpose venue has also previously hosted a series of boxing matches, as well as this year’s Grammy Awards ceremony. 

The two Spanish tennis giants will also participate in a 90-minute individual VIP clinic before taking to the court. There will also be a ‘celebrity’ doubles match which will feature both of the Bryan brothers. One of the most successful double pairings in history who have won 16 Grand Slam titles together. 

“I’m very excited for my first visit to Las Vegas, one of the most iconic and entertaining cities in the world,” Nadal said in a press release. “I’ll be playing with my fellow countryman Carlos Alcaraz who’s had an amazing year. It should be a great night of tennis at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.”

19-year-old Alcaraz is the youngest player in ATP history to achieve the year-end No.1 ranking and is viewed as the successor to 22-time major winner Nadal. The duo have clashed three times on the Tour with Nadal winning two of those meetings. Although Alcaraz was triumphant the last time they clashed at the Madrid Masters. 

“I’m honored and so happy to be sharing the court with Rafa in Las Vegas. He’s an all-time great, of course, and his records and achievements speak for themselves. Rafa also is one of the nicest guys on Tour and I look forward to our match on March 5.” Said Alcaraz.

Immediately after their match on March 5th, THE SLAM Gala will be held at Rivea and Skyfall at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. The fundraising event has been created to raise money for Nadal’s foundation, as well as the MGM Resorts Foundation and National Tennis Foundation. 

Tickets for Alcaraz’s match with Nadal will go on sale from December 9th and are priced at $75 upwards. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

The Hopman Cup returns in 2023 in Nice

Published

on

The Hopman Cup will return in 2023 and will be held on clay court at the Lawn Tennis Club in Nice from 19th to 23rd July after Wimbledon. This tennis team tournament pairs one woman and one man from each participating country. 

 

This tournament was last staged in 2019 in Perth and had been hosted in Australia since its first edition in 1989. It was held at the beginning of the season before the Australian Open in January. 

Each match-up will feature one women’s singles match, one men’s singles match and one mixed doubles match. 

Six teams will take part at the Hopman Cup in 2023 and 2024, but the field will be expanded to eight in 2025. France will compete as a host team each year. “We are thrilled to partner with Tennium and that the Hopman Cup will return in 2023. We are already looking forward to visiting the beautiful city of Nice next July. The Hopman Cup, as a unique mixed team event, has always enjoyed a special place in the hearts of tennis fans. I am sure that spectators in Nice will relish the chance to see some of the world’s men and women players on the same court. I would like to thank our event partners, Tennium, for helping us reintroduce the Hopman Cup to the tennis calendar, and we look forward to working together over the coming months and years”, said ITF President David Heggerty.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending