Novak Djokovic: 'I'm Not Planning To Retire And Have This Be My Last Wimbledon' - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Novak Djokovic: ‘I’m Not Planning To Retire And Have This Be My Last Wimbledon’

Published

on

Image via https://x.com/Wimbledon/

Novak Djokovic says he will only play at Wimbledon if he is fit enough to challenge for the title. 

The 24-time Grand Slam champion flew to London earlier this week as he continues his recovery from a knee injury that he sustained at the French Open. Last month Djokovic tore the medial meniscus in his right knee and subsequently underwent surgery. He has yet to confirm his participation at Wimbledon but his rapid recovery process has been pretty impressive. 

On Monday, the world No.2 was at the All England Club where he held a hitting session with Argentina’s Federico Coria and reportedly won their practice tiebreaker 8-2. He was seen wearing a protective sleeve over his knee, as well as his right arm. 

“The plan was to try to play Wimbledon, so that’s what I’m doing. That’s why I’ve come to train and see how it goes,” news agency EFE quoted Djokovic as saying afterwards.
“I can’t give many details about the knee, but it’s going well. The rehabilitation is going in the right direction every day. Little by little it’s getting better. That’s what’s giving me hope and desire to keep going. I still have a week ahead of me, enough time. I’m going to do my best to find out how I am before the draw is made.”

There are still four days before the Wimbledon draw takes place at 10am on Friday. Djokovic has yet to win a title this season but has reached the semi-final stages of the Australian Open, Monte Carlo Masters and Geneva Open. The last tournament he won was the 2023 ATP Finals in Turin. 

Given his current injury issues, it might be expected that Djokovic’s expectations for the upcoming Grand Slam will be somewhat different. However, the Serbian is sticking to his high standards. 

“I haven’t come here to go through a few rounds,” he states. 
“I’m going to play if I’m sure. I’m going to take it day by day, based on how I am, how I feel and if I can play at my best.
“If I can’t play, I’ll give someone else that opportunity. I’m only going to play if I’m in a position to go far and fight for the title. I’m not pushing myself to the limit, but I hope that happens in the next few days. I wouldn’t be here without the doctors’ permission.” 

As for his current form on the Tour, the 37-year-old assures that he has no intention of walking away from tennis anytime soon. If he wins Wimbledon one more time, Djokovic will equal Roger Federer’s record for most titles won at the tournament which is eight. 

“I’m not planning to retire and have this be my last Wimbledon, so I want to keep going and this year has been different,with this injury in Paris.” He said.
“It’s bad luck, but it’s part of the sport. It’s the first time I’ve had a major knee injury, so I’m dealing with it day by day, as best I can and together with my team members. I’ve put in a lot of hours in the last two weeks on my rehabilitation. Probably more than if I wasn’t injured.”

Should Djokovic decide to not play at Wimbledon, it will be the first time the tournament has taken place without any of the three Big Three playing since 1998. 

ATP

Carlos Alcaraz And Novak Djokovic Wouldn’t Yield To Medvedev And Musetti At Wimbledon

Published

on

image via x.com/wimbledon

Carlos Alcaraz seemed to be on his own against a vastly improved Daniil Medvedev. The defending Wimbledon champion appeared to be out of tricks.

And Medvedev sensed it.

Alcaraz still scored a 6-7 (1), 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Medvedev. It may look rather easy on paper, but there was nothing easy about Alcaraz’s victory. The young Spaniard just came through when he needed it to advance to what he hopes will lead to his fourth Grand Slam title.

MEDVEDEV APPLIED ENDLESS PRESSURE

Medvedev was always there, ready to pounce on any mistake by Alcaraz. But mistakes didn’t happen that often after Medvedev took the first set in a tie-breaker.

Alcaraz hadn’t served that well in the first set that Medvedev had taken in a tiebreaker. But it was a different story once Alcaraz found the mark on his serves. He just kept holding service until the match was his.

Remember, he’s only 21 years old. But now he faces someone in this Wimbledon final almost twice as old in 37-year-old Novak Djokovic.

NOVAK DIDN’T LET INJURED KNEE STOP HIM

Early in the match, Djokovic looked like he might have problems against Lorenzo Musetti. He appeared to have a slight limp in the right knee that was covered by a band. Of course, it’s been less than six months since Novak underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in that knee.

Djokovic didn’t always chase after balls in situations where his service game wasn’t in jeopardy. He just hit winners when the opportunities came along, and his serve was always ready to win a point, a game or the match.

MUSETTI WASN’T THE SAME

Young 25th seed Musetti had been so strong and talented in his quarterfinal upset of Taylor Fritz. The 22-year-old Italian had looked like he might be a threat to the likes of Djokovic and Alcaraz in the last two rounds in London.

Musetti appeared to be able to run down everything against the speedy Fritz, until Fritz seemed to grow tired in a fifth set that Musetti won easily.

The Italian wasn’t the same against Djokovic.

Djokovic was just too good and too consistent to allow Musetti to stop his bid for another title.

NOVAK THE VIOLINIST

The setting was completely different this time with Djokovic looking questionable at the start. But Musetti could hardly push Djokovic, and ended up losing by a 6-4, 7-6 (2), 6-4. Once Novak charged through the second set tiebreaker, dropping only two points, Musetti couldn’t get back into the match.

And then Novak came out pretending to play a violin on his racket for his precious 6-year-old daughter Tara, whom Novak said has been learning to play the violin for about six months.

Some fans apparently didn’t like this, but then there probably were others who became Novak Djokovic fans. Novak obviously is a great guy and dad these days.

After all, Novak has just played his 97th Wimbledon match, and he’s hoping in his 37th Grand Slam final to tie Roger Federer’s record of eight Wimbledon titles.

James Beck was the 2003 winner of the USTA National Media Award  for print media. A 1995 MBA graduate of The Citadel, he can be reached at Jamesbecktennis@gmail.com. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Carlos Alcaraz Beats Fiery Medvedev To Reach Second Wimbledon Final

Published

on

Image via x.com/wimbledon

Carlos Alcaraz has become the second Spanish man in history to reach multiple Wimbledon finals after beating Daniil Medvedev who had a run-in with the umpire during their semi-final clash. 

The defending champion battled back from a set down to beat his opponent 6-7(1), 6-3, 6-4, 6-4. Making it the fifth time in a row he has defeated a top-five player at Tour-level events. Alcaraz has now won 18 out of 20 matches played at Wimbledon so far in his career.

Meanwhile, ex-US Open champion Medvedev produced a solid fight early on before getting outmanoeuvred on the court. The world No.5 got caught up in a dispute with umpire Eva Asderaki concerning one call which resulted in him receiving a code violation. Whilst his exact words were not picked up on camera, it appeared that he used offensive language against Asderaki. 

(It was) Different conditions, but I’m happy with my performance today.” Said Alcaraz.
“He (Medvedev) was dominating the match and playing great tennis with his serves. It was difficult for me and he tried to pull out all the shots. 
“It was helpful to be up 2-1 (in sets) and after that I could enjoy the match. In general I think I played a good match.”

A roller-coaster opening set saw Medvedev start by coming through a six-minute service game before his defensive shot-making began to draw a series of unforced errors from Alcaraz, who was struggling to find the right balance in his powerful hitting. Three consecutive breaks of serve midway through the set moved Medvedev to a 5-2 lead.

However, another twist unfolded on Centre Court with Alcaraz clawing his way back to level. It was during this period that the Russian landed himself in hot water. During a rally, the umpire called a double bounce against the 28-year-old, who then appeared to swear multiple times at the official. Following a brief discussion with the supervisor, he was hit with a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct.

“If you use a swear word you’re going to get a code violation and a warning and a fine, but if you verbally abuse the umpire, that’s when there’s a question mark. It could be a default,” The I quoted Tim Henman as telling the BBC.
“Just from where we’re sitting to see the umpire get down off the umpire’s chair, to see the umpire and the supervisor to go on the court, that doesn’t happen unless something has gone on.”

The controversy did little to unsettle the fifth seed who cruised through the tiebreaker by winning seven out of eight points.

Urging the crowd to cheer him on by putting his finger to his ear, Alcaraz produced a clinical fightback in the second frame to turn the match around in his favour. A three-game winning run guided him to level the match. 

The Spaniard continued to weather the storm with the help of back-to-back Medvedev forehand errors handing him a break for 3-1 in the third. It wasn’t a perfect performance from Alcaraz, who made the occasional mistake such as a mishit on a smash which would have given him a set point when leading 5-3. Nevertheless, it was enough for him to extend his lead to two sets against one. 

Closing in on victory and elevating the quality of his tennis, he dismantled the Medvedev two more times before converting his first match point by hitting a forehand shot that his rival returned out.

I tried to play long rallies and tried to play to the net as much as I can. I tried to not play his game.” He said of his tactics used against Medvedev.
“There were a few points that were really long rallies, but I tried to put my own game [on the match]. It was difficult to break the wall!”

Alcaraz is bidding to become the first player outside the Big Three to defend the men’s Wimbledon title since Pete Sampras more than 20 years ago. 

“I feel like I am not new anymore,” he commented.
“I know how I feel before the final I have been in this position before – I will try to do the things that I didn’t do last year and be better. 

In the final, he will play either Novak Djokovic, in what will be a repeat of last year’s title clash, or Italy’s Lorenzo Musetti. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Alex De Minaur Speaks About Kyrgios’ Retun After Wimbledon Withdrawal

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios (AUS) playing against Felix Auger-Aliassime (CAN) in the third round of the Gentlemen's Singles on No.1 Court at The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day 6 Saturday 03/07/2021. Credit: AELTC/Jonathan Nackstrand

Nick Kyrgios is expected to return to action in the coming weeks with an appearance at the US Open on the cards, according to his compatriot.

Alex de Minaur told reporters at Wimbledon on Wednesday that he believes the former top 20 player will return to action at some point during the upcoming US hardcourt swing. Marking the end of his lengthy absence from the sport due to various injury issues. 

Kyrgios underwent surgery on his left knee in January 2023 before suffering another injury blow with a wrist issue. The last Tour-level match that he played was at the Stuttgart Open in June last year. He has only been able to play six tournaments since reaching his first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon in 2022. 

“I’m trying to have some hits with the players who are here to see where my wrist is at. It’s been 10 months since my surgery, so I’ll try to work my way back onto the court,” Kyrgios told the UTS website in June.

“I’ll be playing doubles in the next month (on the ATP Tour). It will be exciting. I’ll probably start there and hopefully, if everything is OK, I’ll move to singles and then I’ll see how long I’ll hang around for.

“I missed competing, I missed hearing the crowd, my fans. Even the people that hate me, I miss them, I miss them all. I can’t wait to be back.”

It is yet to be confirmed when Kyrgios will be returning to the court as he commentates on this year’s Wimbledon Championships for the BBC. He had recently held a hitting session with Novak Djokovic and in De Minaur’s view, the tennis star is certainly improving. 

“I’ve seen him hitting. I think it looks like he’s feeling a little better. As far as I know, I think the U.S. hard court is when he’s planning to return.” He commented.

“I don’t know the exact specifics, but it will all depend on his injury and how he’s feeling.”

Unfortunately for De Minaur his Wimbledon run has come to a sad end after the Australian pulled out of his quarter-final encounter against Novak Djokovic on Wednesday due to what he describes as a ‘freak injury’ with his hip. He is estimated to be sidelined from action between three and six weeks. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending