ATP Chief Says Use Of ‘Collective Gult’ To Ban Russian Players Is Wrong - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

ATP Chief Says Use Of ‘Collective Gult’ To Ban Russian Players Is Wrong

Published

on

The head of men’s tennis has reiterated his organisation’s stance that Russian and Belarussian players should be allowed to compete on the Tour as Wimbledon bosses ponder a reversal in their ban. 

Andrea Gaudenzi, who is currently the ATP’s CEO, said it is wrong to punish players who ‘have done nothing wrong.’ As it currently stands Russia is suspended from playing in team events but their players can participate on the Tour under a neutral status. The move was made as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine which began on February 24th last year. The same penalty has also been issued to Belarus whose government have been accused of supporting the conflict. 

There are ongoing negotiations between the tennis governing bodies concerning the upcoming grasscourt swing and Wimbledon. Last year the UK became the only country to implement a blanket ban on Russian and Belarussian players paying in their events, including Wimbledon. The decision was made following advice from the British government but prompted condemnation from both the ATP and WTA who have subsequently fined the LTA. 

“I want to reiterate that we always condemn and will condemn war,” Gaudenzi said earlier this week during an interview with Globo.com.”I know it’s obvious to say this, but it’s important to repeat and reassure because we send this message very clearly.”
“I think we (the ATP) are very much in line with the guidance of the IOC. Our players cannot play under their flags in team competitions like any other sport.”


Earlier this month, Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina told BBC Sport that Wimbledon should maintain its ban whilst ‘innocent Ukrainians are still being killed’ in the war. The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) says that at least 8,006 Ukrainian civilians have been killed and a further 13,287 injured. This number doesn’t include deaths and injuries that have occurred on the battlefield.

However, Gaudenzi argues such a ban would be counterproductive and prevent players from expressing their feelings. Citing the example of Andrey Ruyblev who wrote on a camera lens ‘no war’ following one of his matches last year.

“There are sports that ban individual players. Generally speaking, we do not believe in collective guilt. These guys have done nothing wrong. They’ve played tennis their whole lives. We feel that, in fairness, they need to have opportunities, like everyone else,”
he said.
“We also feel that they need to be able to compete and have a voice, say what they think. We saw Rublev write “Peace, not war” on camera. I think this is an important message. We want these players to play, to be able to express their feelings, even for this to reach their own people, their own country.’
“Generally speaking, we are for justice and freedom, and obviously against war, and we will continue to fight for these principles.”

According to The Telegraph, the WTA has offered to halve their fine from $1M to $500,000 if the LTA agrees to reverse their ban this year. This development comes amid speculation that in a worst-case scenario, Britain faces losing the rights to stage ATP and/or WTA events such as Eastbourne if they do not change their stance. Those rights could then be sold elsewhere. 

It is unknown when a final decision regarding the future of the LTA’s and Wimbledon’s ban will be made. 

ATP

Wrist Injury Threatening To End Holger Rune’s Olympic Dream

Published

on

Holger Rune will have a second medical opinion on Monday before deciding if he is fit enough to play at the Olympic Games, according to his team. 

The Danish world No.17 recently retired from his quarter-final match at the Hamburg Open due to a knee injury. The hope at the time was that his withdrawal would be just a precautionary measure ahead of the Olympics. However, he is also dealing with a second issue that appears to be more serious.

According to TV 2 Sport, Rune has been struggling with a wrist issue and underwent a scan on Sunday which his mother Aneke says ‘doesn’t look promising.’ Aneke is also the manager of her son’s career. Rune’s Olympic dreams now rest on the outcome of a second medical expert that he will visit tomorrow who has a better understanding of the sport. 

“Unfortunately, it does not look promising after the first medical opinion after the review of the scan of the wrist,” Aneke Rune told TV 2 Sport.

“We are waiting for two tennis-specific doctors who will give a second opinion tomorrow (Monday). Tennis wrists look different from regular wrists, so we’ll hold out hope for one more day.” 

Rune is one of three Danish players entered into the Olympic tennis event along with Caroline Wozniacki and Clara Tauson. The country has only won one medal in tennis before which was at the 1912 Games when Sofie Castenschiold won silver in the women’s indoor singles event. 

So far this season, the 21-year-old has won 27 matches on the Tour but is yet to claim a title. He reached the final of the Brisbane International and then the semi-finals of three more events. In the Grand Slams, he made it to the fourth round of the French Open and Wimbledon. 

It is not known when a final decision regarding Rune’s participation in Paris will be made.

Continue Reading

ATP

Hubert Hurkacz Undergoes ‘Knee Procedure’ Ahead of Olympic Bid

Published

on

Poland’s top player on the ATP Tour is not giving up on his dream of winning a medal at the Olympic Games despite recently undergoing a medical procedure.

World No.7 Hubert Hurkacz suffered a knee injury during his second round clash at Wimbledon against France’s Arthur Fils. In the fourth set tiebreak of their clash, Hurkacz dived for a shot but landed badly on his knee and required on-court medical attention. He then played two more points before retiring from the match. 

In a social media post published on Wednesday, the  27-year-old confirmed he underwent a procedure on his knee earlier this week but didn’t provide any further details.  Although Hurkacz has stated his intention to play at the upcoming Olympic Games in Paris, where the tennis event will be held on the clay at Roland Garros. 

“I had a knee procedure this Monday, but I’m feeling better already and my team and are dedicating extensive time each day to the rehab process.” He wrote on Instagram. 

“It’s a dream for every athlete to represent their country at the Olympics, and I want to make sure I am fully fit and ready before making the final decision to step on court. The aim is not only to participate, but to win a medal for my country.”

So far this season Hurkacz has won 34 out of 48 matches played on the Tour. He won the Estoril Open in April and was runner-up to Jannik Sinner in Halle. 

The Olympic tennis event is scheduled to begin a week Saturday on July 27th. Poland is yet to win a medal in the event but expectations are high with women’s No.1 Iga Swiatek also taking part. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Motivation, Pressure And Expectations – Novak Djokovic Targets History At Wimbledon

Published

on

image via x.com/wimbledon

Novak Djokovic has broken numerous records throughout his career but he still feels the pressure of trying to make history in the sport. 

The world No.2 is through to his 10th Wimbledon final where he will play Carlos Alcaraz, who beat him at this stage of the tournament 12 months ago. There is plenty on the line for the Serbian who could equal Roger Federer’s record for most men’s titles won at SW19 and break the overall record for most major singles won in the sport if he triumphs over the Spaniard. Djokovic currently has 24 Grand Slam trophies to his name which is the same as Margaret Court, who won some of her titles before the Open Era started. 

“Obviously I’m aware that Roger [Federer] holds eight Wimbledons. I hold seven. History is on the line.” Djokovic said on Friday after beating Lorenzo Musetti.

“Also, the 25th potential Grand Slam. Of course, it serves as a great motivation, but at the same time it’s also a lot of pressure and expectations.”

Coming into Wimbledon, there had been doubts over Djokovic’s form after he underwent surgery to treat a knee injury he suffered at the French Open. However, he has defied the odds to reach the final. His run has also seen him beat Alexi Popyrin and Holger Rune before getting a walkover in the quarter-finals from Alex de Minaur, who sustained an injury during the tournament. Then on Friday, he overcame a spirited Musetti in three sets. 

Despite the challenge, Djokovic has insisted that his expectations to do well are always high no matter what the situation is. During what has been a roller-coaster first six months of the season, he is yet to win a title this year or beat a player currently ranked in the top 10. Although he will achieve both of these if her beats Alcaraz on Sunday. 

“Every time I step out on the court now, even though I’m 37 and competing with the 21-year-olds, I still expect myself to win most of the matches, and people expect me to win, whatever, 99% of the matches that I play.” He said.

“I always have to come out on the court and perform my best in order to still be at the level with Carlos [Alcaraz] or Jannik [Sinner] or Sascha [Zverev] or any of those guys, Daniil [Medvedev]. 

“This year hasn’t been that successful for me. It’s probably the weakest results the first six months I’ve had in many years. That’s okay. I had to adapt and accept that and really try to find also way out from the injury that I had and kind of regroup.”

Djokovic hopes that a Wimbledon win will help turn his season around like it has done in the past for him. 

“Wimbledon historically there’s been seasons where I wasn’t maybe playing at a desired level, but then I would win a Wimbledon title and then things would change.” He commented.

“For example, that was the case in 2018 when I had elbow surgery earlier in the year, dropped my rankings out of top 20, losing in fourth round of Australian Open, I think it was quarters of Roland-Garros, and just not playing the tennis that I want to play. Then I won Wimbledon and then won US Open and then later on became No.1 very soon.”

Meanwhile, 21-year-old Alcaraz is hoping to stop Djokovic in his tracks. Should he defend his title at Wimbledon, he would become the first player outside the Big Three to do so since Pete Sampras more than 20 years ago. He has won their only previous meeting on the grass but trails their head-to-head 3-2. 

“I’m sure he knows what he has to do to beat me,” said Alcaraz.

“But I’m ready to take that challenge and I’m ready to do it well.”

When the two players take to the court to play in the Wimbledon final, Djokovic will be 15 years and 348 days older than Alcaraz. Making it the largest age gap in a men’s Grand Slam final since the 1974 US Open. Whoever is victorious will receive £2,700,000 in prize money. 

Continue Reading

Trending