Nick Kyrgios Suffers Blow In Bid To Delay Assault Case - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Nick Kyrgios Suffers Blow In Bid To Delay Assault Case

Despite efforts made by his legal team, Kyrgios’ court hearing will take place in less than two months time.

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios (AUS) - Credit: AELTC/Jonathan Nackstrand

Nick Kyrgios has been refused permission to delay his court hearing until November after his legal team argued that the date was best for him as he spends ‘very little time’ in the Australian Capital Territory.

 

The world No.26 has been accused of ‘common assault’ by his former girlfriend Chiara Passari concerning an incident which allegedly took place in December 2021. In the worst-case scenario, those convicted of such offences can face up to two years in prison in extreme cases.

Kyrgios has been advised by his legal team to not publicly comment on the allegation. Although when questioned about the allegations at Wimbledon, he admitted it has had an impact on him.

“I’m only human,” Kyrgios said in July.
“Obviously I read about it and obviously everyone else was asking questions. It was hard, it was hard to kind of just focus on the mission at hand.
“I have a lot of thoughts, a lot of things I want to say, kind of my side about it … obviously I’ve been advised by my lawyers that I’m unable to say anything at this time.”

On Tuesday morning the case went to the ACT Magistrates Court. Kyrgios, who is currently in America preparing for the US Open, was represented by solicitor Michael Kukulies-Smith. The legal team had submitted a request to delay the court hearing until November 25th due to Kyrgios’ travelling commitments. Although the legal team didn’t go into detail about why such an adjournment was necessary. Previously a six-week adjournment was granted until October 4.

Magistrate Louise Taylor, who oversaw Tuesday’s proceedings, wasn’t impressed by the lack of clarity over why such an extension was needed and refused Kukulies-Smith’s appeal.

“I’m not quite certain what the case for secrecy is,” Taylor told Mr Kukulies-Smith in Canberra.
Lots of defendants have matters they’d like the court to accommodate,” she added in reference to Kyrgios’ schedule.

Elaborating further the magistrate said she is not prepared to grant an extension on ‘the basis of an application that might be made’. Meanwhile, the prosecution said they are not supportive of the ‘secrecy’ surrounding the application.

It is unclear as to if Kyrgios will attend the court hearing in person. The date of October 4th coincides with events taking place in Tokyo and Astana. Both of which are ATP 500 events.

On the court, Kyrgios has produced some of his best tennis in recent weeks and won his first title in three years at the Citi Open in Washington. Since the start of Wimbledon, he has won 15 out of 18 matches played.

Latest news

Iga Swiatek avenges her Wimbledon defeat against Elina Svitolina to reach the quarter final in Dubai

Published

on

World number 1 Iga Swiatek beat two-time former world champion Elina Svitolina 6-1 6-4 after 1 hour and 24 minutes in the third round at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. Swiatek has extended her winning streak to six straight victories in the Middle East after claiming the Doha title last year. 

 

Swiatek won seven consecutive games from 1-1 in the first set. The Polish player won a tighter second set that featured five consecutive breaks to reach the quarter finals in Dubai for the second consecutive year. 

Swiatek earned leads of 2-0 and 4-2 in the second set before breaking serve to take a 5-4 lead. She served out the win after saving a break point for 5-5.

Swiatek avenged her defeat to Svitolina, who beat her Polish opponent in three sets in the quarter finals at Wimbledon last year. Svitolina has returned from a back injury she sustained at last January’s Australian Open. 

Swiatek now leads 2-1 in her three head-to-head matches against Svitolina. The four-time Grand Slam champion has won 25 of her last 26 matches dating back to a fourth-round defeat to Jelena Ostapenko. She has extended her winning streak to 13 matches against top-20 players.

Swiatek will face either Zheng Qinwen or Anastasia Potapova in the quarter final. 

Swiatek finished runner-up in the final in Dubai last year. 

“I really wanted to improve my focus compared to yesterday. I am happy I did not lose my focus and I remembered what I have to do and it worked. I was a little bit calmer than I was yesterday”, said Swiatek. 

Coco Gauff came back from one set down to beat Karolina Pliskova 2-6 6-4 6-3 reaching her second consecutive quarter final in Dubai. Gauff stopped Pliskova’s 11 match winning streak. The Czech player claimed her first title since 2020 at Cluj Napoca and reached the semifinal in Doha before withdrawing ahead of her scheduled semifinal match against Swiatek due to injury. 

Gauff has won 23 of her last 24 matches players ranked outside of the top 20. The US player has reached the quarter finals or better in three of her last four appearances in Dubai, where she advanced to the semifinal last year. The young US player has reached her third quarter final in 2024 after winnin her second title in Auckland and reaching her first Australian Open semifinal. 

Gauff saved two break points in the first game of the third set before earning a decisive break with a forehand down the line to take a 5-3 lead. Pliskova earned two break points in the final game, but Gauff pulled back to deuce with her strong serves. The US player sealed the win on her second match point with her unreturned serve. 

Gauff set up a quarter final match against this year’s Australian Open quarter finalist Anna Kalinskaya, who beat Jelena Ostapenko 6-4 7-5 in 93 minutes. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Andy Murray wins his first match of the 2024 season in Doha

Published

on

Andy Murray beat Alexandre Muller 6-1 7-5 to clinch his first win of the 2024 season at the Exxon Mobil Open in Doha. Murray won two Doha titles in 2008 and 2009 and reached three finals in 2007, 2017 and 2023.

 

Murray converted three of his five break points he earned. 

Murray came back from 0-40 down to break serve on Muller’s first service game. The British player held serve to open up a 3-0 lead, but he asked for a medical time-out due to a knee issue. The double Olympic spoke to the physiotherapist on court, explaining that he had been feeling pain in the area for a few days and had received for a cyst on his meniscus the day before Tuesday’s match. 

Nevertheless, Murray returned on court and did not convert two break points. The Scotsman earned his second break and held serve to seal the opening set in 46 minutes. 

Murray did not convert break points in the fourth game of the second set. Both players held on their service games before Murray earned a break with another winner to take a 4-3 lead. Muller broke straight back to draw level to 4-4. Both players on serve in the next four games en route to the tie-break. 

Muller earned the first mini-break with a drop-shot to take a 4-2 lead in the tie-break, but Murray pulled back on serve to draw level to 5-5. Murray won the next two points and sealed the win with a backhand return. 

“Obviously the past few months have been really tough on the court for me. I have not won many matches and lost a lot of close ones as well and it was getting tight at the end there as well, so obviously I am delighted to get through”, said Murray. 

Murray set up a second round match against Jakub Mensik, who upset Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 7-6 (7-3) 6-4 in just his eighth tour-level match to clinch his first win against a top 30 player. 

Mensik came back from a break down twice en route to winning the tie-break of the first set 7-3 with four mini-breaks. The 18-year-old Czech player earned a decisive break in the first game of the second set before sealing the win after 93 minutes on his first match point. Mensik won 70% of his first service points. 

Mensik, who is the youngest player in the top 200 in the ATP Ranking, reached the third round at last year’s US Open and beat Denis Shapovalov as a qualifier on his Australian Open debut last January. 

Mensik will face either Andy Murray or Alexandre Muller. 

“I just tried to play my best. It’s a crazy opportunity to play an ATP 250 here in Doha, so I reached the second round and I will do my best to show this performance in the second round”, said Mensik. 

Christopher O’Connell beat Jan-Lennard Struff 6-4 6-4 to improve his head-to-head lead to 2-0. O’Connell broke twice in the second and seventh game to take a 5-2 lead. Struff pulled one break back in the eighth game from 3-5 but O’Connell closed out the first set 6-4 on his first set point. O’Connell broke serve in the fifth game to take a 3-2 and sealed the win on his third match point. 

O’Connell set up a second round match against world number 46 Emil Ruusuvuori, who beat Italian qualifier Giulio Zeppieri 7-6 (7-2) 7-5 in one hour and 47 minutes. Both players went on serve with no break points en route to tie-break. Ruusuvuori, who reached the quarter final in Rotterdam last week, earned two mini-breaks to win the tie-break 7-2. Ruusuvuori earned his first break of the match in the opening game and saved four break points to hold serve at deuce in the second game. Zeppieri broke back in the fourth game to draw level to 2-2. Ruusuovori converted his second break point in the 11th game and sealed the second set 7-5 on his first match point. 

Gael Monfils beat Botic Van de Zandschulp 6-1 7-6 (11-9). Monfils broke twice in the second and fourth games to win the first set 6-1. Van de Zandschulp broke serve in the sixth game to take a 4-2 lead. Monfils broke back in the ninth game. Both players held on serve in the next games en route to a tie-break. Monfils earned three match points at 6-3 in the tie-break, but Van de Zandschulp  won three consecutive points to draw level to 6-6. Both players traded mini-breaks to draw level to 8-8. Monfils won two consecutive points to win the tie-break 11-9 on his fourth match point. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Jasmine Paolini beats Leylah Fernandez to reach the round of 16 in Dubai

Published

on

Jasmine Paolini beat 2021 US Open finalist Leylah Fernandez 6-3 6-4 in on 1 hour and 37 minutes at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. 

 

Fernandez earned an early break at love in the first game of the opening set. Paolini broke straight back in the second game, but Fernandez broke again at love in the third game and held her first service game to take a 3-1 lead. Paolini pulled back on serve in the sixth game to draw level to 3-3 before saving four break points to go up 4-3. The Italian player converted her third break point in the eighth game with a forehand passing shot and served out the first set with a hold at love. 

Fernandez won 12 of the first 15 points and broke serve in the second game to race out to a 3-0 lead in the second set. The Canadian player earned a double break point in the sixth game, but Paolini saved it to hold serve after two deuces. Paolini won five consecutive games from 1-4 down with two breaks of serve to seal the second set 6-4 on her second match point. 

Paolini set up a Round of 16 match against Maria Sakkari, who beat Emma Navarro 6-2 6-4. The Italian player, who reached the fourth round at this year’s Australian Open, has won consecutive matches against former Grand Slam finalists (Angelique Keber at the United Cup and and Fernandez in Dubai).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending