Stefanos Tsitsipas Says Djokovic Has Been ‘Playing By His Own rules’ Over COVID-19 Breach - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Stefanos Tsitsipas Says Djokovic Has Been ‘Playing By His Own rules’ Over COVID-19 Breach

The world No.4 shares his opinion on Novak Djokovic and his visa fiasco.

Avatar

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) attends a press conference in the Main Interview Room ahead of The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day -1 Sunday 27/06/2021. Credit: AELTC/Florian Eisele

Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas has spoken out for the first time about the controversy surrounding Novak Djokovic by describing his decision to travel to Australia unvaccinated as ‘daring.’

 

The world No.1 is currently in the midst of a showdown with the government over his Australian visa. Last week, authorities removed Djokovic’s pass into the country on the grounds that he failed to meet sufficient criteria to justify his entry into the country which requires all visitors to be vaccinated unless they are medically exempt. The tennis star has been given an exemption to play the Australian Open on the grounds that he recently tested positive for COVID-19. On Monday a Melbourne judge overturned the decision to cancel Djokovic’s visa but it is still possible that the government could cancel it for a second time if they use their executive powers.

Weighing in on the fiasco, Tsitsipas says his peer has been ‘playing by his own rules.’ It has emerged that Djokovic broke COVID-19 rules in his home country after attending a photoshoot despite being informed he had tested positive. He has since said that decision was an ‘error of judgment.’

“For sure, he’s been playing by his own rules. He’s been doing something which not many tennis players have the guts to do especially after ATP announced certain criteria for players to enter the country,” Tsitsipas said during an interview with World is One News.
“Not many would’ve thought to come to Australia unvaccinated or not following the protocols. It takes a lot of daring to do it and putting a Grand Slam at risk.’
“I chose to go and be 100 percent ready for whatever was to come and not having to think about anything else. Doesn’t mean my way is the right one and his way is the wrong one. Each one has a different perception.”

Tsitsipas had previously voiced his own previous doubts about having the vaccine and said he didn’t feel there was a need for people in his age group to have it. He has also indicated his support for the concept of herd immunity. However, since then the French Open runner-up has done a u-turn and had his vaccination.

According to the ATP, almost every player in the world’s top 100 has had their vaccinations which has been spurred on by the requirement of the Australian Open. It is known that Djokovic is one of those who haven’t but the names of other players have not been officially announced.

Two ways to look about it. Every single player, almost, the stats say that 98% of the players are fully vaccinated and have followed the rules. One side of it is that we have been very disciplined. On the other hand, a very small majority have followed a different path and aren’t playing by the rules; making the majority look like fools (chuckles).” Tsitsipas commented.

However, the world No.4 has come out in support of a person’s right to freedom of choice without naming Djokovic specifically.

“How I see it is that everyone has the freedom to choose and decide for themselves. If one sees it as not respecting the human race, it is upto anyone really. End of the day, your body is a very important machine. You have to protect it. You will feel not as safe as others (of getting vaccinated), then you should proceed accordingly,” he concluded.

Tsitsipas will play Mikael Ymer in the first round of next week’s Australian Open.

ATP

Felix Auger-Aliassime Survives Australian Open Marathon

For a second time this week the Canadian was pushed but managed to win a tough four-set match against his Spanish opponent.

Avatar

Published

on

Felix Auger-Aliassime (Manuela Davies/USTA)

Felix Auger-Aliassime booked his spot in the third round of the Australian Open after beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 in a match that lasted four hours and 20 minutes.

 

The Montreal native hit 58 winners and served 28 aces while Davidovich Fokina hit 51 unforced errors. It is the second time the 21-year-old has reached the last 32 in Melbourne Park in what is his third appearence.

The first game of the match was a nervy one for the world number nine as it lasted six minutes and it involved him saving two breakpoints before being able to hold serve. The opener stayed on serve until 2-2 when the Fokina came up with an impressive passing shot to set up two more chances for the first break of serve of the match and this time managed to convert. Three games later the Canadian fought back and broke right back to go back on serve.

It was a tiebreak which decided the first set. The Montreal native jumped out to a 3-0 lead before the Spaniard came back again to win the next four points but the Canadian responded again winning three straight points to take the breaker 7-4 and the first set.

The second set was another impressive performance on serve by both players and once again was decided by a back and forth breaker that this time was won by Davidovich Fokina to level the match.

The third frame was much the same as both players kept their level up and not much differentiated the two. This tiebreaker was much more straightforward as the Canadian jumped out to a 5-1 lead before closing out the third set 7-5 and taking two sets to one lead.

The fourth set stayed on serve until 2-1 when the world number 50 had a chance to break and was able to get it for a 3-1 lead before the Canadian was able to break back the following game to go back on serve.

For the fourth time, the set was decided by a tiebreaker and this one was super tight with the Canadian getting the crucial break to take a 4-3 lead and that one break was enough for him to serve it out.

Auger Aliassime will now face Dan Evans in the third round after the Brit was handed a walkover against Frenchman Arthur Rinderknech who pulled out of the match due to injury.

Continue Reading

ATP

‘Best Feeling I’ve Ever Had’ – Underdog Christopher O’Connell Stuns Schwartzman At Australian Open

Prior to this week the 27-year-old had never won a main draw match at Melbourne Park or beaten a top 20 player.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNtenis

World No.175 Christopher O’Connell has pulled off a major upset at the Australian Open by knocking out 13th seed Diego Schwartzman.

 

The 27-year-old wild card had only ever won one match in the main draw of a Grand Slam prior to this year but illustrated the talent that he has with a 7-6, 6-4, 6-4, win over Schwartzman. A player who is currently ranked 162 places above him in the rankings. Against the Argentine he fired a total of 44 winners and won 75% of his first service points on route to claiming his first win over a top 20 player.

“It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had on a tennis court. I’ve been playing tennis since I was four. To have moments like this it’s a dream come true.” O’Connell said during his press conference.

Despite the straightforward score, the match itself was a marathon. The opener alone lasted for almost 90 minutes with the underdog saving three set points whilst down 4-5 before prevailing in the tiebreaker. Then in the following two sets he broke Schwartzman three times in total.

“I knew how crucial that first set was. It was really warming up out there. It was really a battle back and forth. It was crucial to get that first set, especially in the heat,” he said.

A late bloomer on the men’s Tour, the Australian started to make a breakthrough last year by reaching his first quarter-final at the Atlanta Open where he defeated Jannik Sinner. During that year he also reached the final of a French Challenger event before withdrawing due to injury and reached the second round of the US Open.

O’Connell, who has been ranked as high as 111th in the world, credits his coach for helping him reach new milestones in the sport. He is mentored by former player Marinko Matosevic who reached a ranking high of 39th back in 2013 and made more than $2M in prize money during his playing career.

“The process didn’t start yesterday. It’s been happening all of last year,” he stated.
“I’ve been working with Marinko. He’s just really confident with how I want to play tennis now. It’s the first time I’ve really had a one-on-one coach literally every day with me.’
“Marinko was such a great player. All his knowledge of the game, he’s just putting it onto me.”

Next up for O’Connell will be the in-form Maxime Cressy who lost to Rafael Nadal in the final of the Melbourne Summer Set just over a week ago. The American defeated Czech qualifier Tomáš Macháč 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 7-6(5), in his second round match.

“I knew I had good results in me. It’s just being consistent. I felt today was a consistent match from me,” he reflected.
“But the biggest thing for me is just staying healthy, not having these injuries where I miss two months of tournaments. I nearly missed five or six months last year. I can’t be doing that.’
“The belief is always there, but I just got to make sure my body’s healthy this year. I want to play a full year.”

Continue Reading

ATP

French Player Tests Positive For COVID-19 Hours After Australian Open Defeat

The world No.40 was preparing to leave the country.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/HumbertUgo/

Ugo Humbert is in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19 following his first round loss at the Australian Open on Tuesday.

 

Humbert, who was the 29th seed in the men’s draw, is understood to have produced a positive result during a routine procedure players have to conduct before they leave the country. It is unclear as to if he is currently suffering from any symptoms.

Humbert crashed out of the tournament to compatriot Richard Gasquet, who won their match 3-6, 7-6(4), 7-6 (3), 6-3, in three hours and 18 minutes. Gasquet also tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in Australia earlier this month but was given the all clear to play at Melbourne Park following a negative test. There was a 15-day period between the 35-year-old announcing on Twitter he had the virus and his first match against Humbert.

“I was tested positive on my exit test yesterday and I’ll stay one more week in isolation in Australia,” Humbert wrote on Instagram.
“Thanks for your support and see you soon.”

The 23-year-old has started his season by winning one out of four matches played. Prior to the Australian Open, he scored one of the biggest wins of his career by defeating Daniil Medvedev at the ATP Cup in the group stages. However, following that victory he suffered losses to Alex de Minaur and Matteo Berrettini.

Tennis Australia is yet to comment on Humbert’s positive test.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending