Government-Funded Hong Kong Broadcaster Deletes Article On Peng Shuai Allegations - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Government-Funded Hong Kong Broadcaster Deletes Article On Peng Shuai Allegations

A report says RTKH ‘will not comment on internal matters’ but some speculate the move is linked to influence from neighbouring China.

Avatar

Published

on

An article detailing the ongoing situation involving tennis player Peng Shuai and her allegations of sexual assault has been removed from the website of Hong Kong’s state broadcaster and scrubbed from the internet, according to a leading source.

 

Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) is a public broadcasting service that is funded by taxpayers’ money in the country. Earlier this week it published a report saying that ‘western media’ haven’t been able to get into contact with Peng since she published a 1500-word post on her Weibo account accusing a former vice-premier of China of sexual assault. The article also mentioned that the WTA has questioned the authenticity of Shuai’s email which was sent to them amid concerns she is being censored by authorities.

It is understood that the article was first published on November 18th, 16 days after Shuai’s post, but has since been permanently removed with no other mention about the case on the website. According to The Hong Kong Free Press, a cached version of the page temporarily was stored on Google on Monday but vanished the following day.

No explanation has been provided as to why the story has been removed. In a statement sent to the Hong Kong Free Press by RTHK, the broadcaster was quoted as saying they “will not comment on the internal editorial matters” and “aspires to achieve accuracy.”

However, the removal of the article could possibly be linked to influence from China who has censored the Shuai story in their country. In August this year Honk Kong leader Carrie Lam said RTHK seeks to build a long-term relationship with CCTV which is under control of the Chinese government. The following month staff at the organisation was forced to support national security laws and the interests of the Chinese government, according to The Independent.

Zhao Lijian, who is a spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry, said during an official briefing on Tuesday that some people should stop what he described as ‘’malicious hyping” concerning Shuai’s safety. In recent days various pictures and videos of the two-time Grand Slam champion have emerged. All of what has been leaked by the media which is overseen by the government. Shuai also recently appeared in a video call with the president of the International Olympic Committee on Sunday but the WTA still has concerns about her welfare.

“I believe you have all seen that she recently attended some public events and had a video call [with the president of the International Olympic Committee].” Lijan told reporters.
“I think some people should stop deliberately and maliciously hyping [the issue] up, let alone politicise this issue.”

Michael Joyce is a former tennis player who has coached the likes of Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka and Johanna Konta. According to Joyce, ‘close friends’ of Shuai haven’t been able to contact her despite trying.

The WTA has threatened to remove tournaments from China next year if they are unable to receive any guarantees concerning Shuai’s welfare. At present, they are set to hold 10 tournaments in the country next year, including their prestigious WTA Finals.

Latest news

Roberto Bautista Agut beats Felix Auger Aliassime to reach the second round at the Astana Open

Avatar

Published

on

Roberto Bautista Agut upset eight-seed Felix Auger Aliassime 6-4 7-6 (8-6) after 1 hour and 55 minutes to reach the second round at the Astana Open in Nur Sultan. 

 

Bautista Agut earned his first break in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead and held his next service games to seal the first set 6-4. 

Auger Aliassime went up a break in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Bautista Agut pulled one break back in the fifth game and held on his serve to draw lo draw level to 3-3. Bautista Agut went up a mini-break twice in the tie-break, but Auger Aliassime pulled back on serve both times to draw level to 4-4. Bautista Agut sealed the win on his second match point. 

“It is my first time here. I played great in these conditions. I am very happy to win against a top 10 player. It’s not easy to beat Felix, especially on hard courts. That means I had to playa very good match. I was very solid and and very aggressive. I am very happy”, said Bautista Agut. 

Hubert Hurkacz edged past Francisco Cerundolo 6-2 7-6 (7-2) after 82 minutes in the first round of the Astana Open. 

Hurkacz broke twice in the third and seventh games to win the first set 6-2. The Polish player fired 11 aces and saved the one break point he faced in the second set. Both players went on serve en route to the tie-break. Hurkacz earned three mini-breaks to win the tie-break 7-2. 

The 2021 Miami Open champion set up a second round match against either Alexander Bublik or Tallon Griekspoor.

Hurkacz is currenly ranked ninth in the ATP Race to Turin, just 20 points behind Alexander Zverev, who has been sidelined by an injury. 

Andrey Rublev advanced to the second round with a 6-4 6-3 win over Laslo Djere in 71 minutes. Rublev saved all three break points and broke in the 10th game of the first set and in the 2nd game in the second set. 

Rublev set up a second round match against Chinese qualifier Zhizhen Zhang, who came back from one set down to beat Aslan Karatsev 4-6 6-4 6-1. 

Adrian Mannarino rallied from one set down to beat Stan Wawrinka 1-6 6-2 6-3 to extend his lead to 2-0 in his two head-to-head matches against his Swiss rival. Botic van de Zandschulp eased past Beibit Zhukzhiev 6-1 6-1. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Barbora Krejcikova wins her first title of the season in Tallin

Avatar

Published

on

Barbora Krejcikova clinched the fourth title of her career and her first this season with a 6-2 6-3 win over local favourite Anett Kontaveit after 1 hour and 21 minutes in the first edition of the Tallin Open. 

 

Krejcikova won two Grand Slam titles in the doubles and singles at Roland Garros and two more WTA titles in Strasbourg and Prague. The Czech reached just one singles final in 2022 last January, when she lost to Paula Badosa in Sydney. 

Krejcikova collected her sixth career win over a top 10 player. She stopped Kontaveit’s 24-match winning streak on indoor cross court. 

Krejcikova broke serve in the sixth game to take a 4-2 lead. The multiple Grand Slam doubles champion earned her second break point  with a drop shot winner in the eighth game to close out the first set 6-3. 

Kontaveit earned an early break in the first game of the second set. Krejcikova broke straight back on her third opportunity at deuce in the second game. Krejcikova converted her third break point in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Kontaveit pulled back on serve in the fifth game to draw level to 3-3. Krejcikova hit a forehand winner down the line in the eighth game to take a 5-3 lead and sealed the title after a wide forehand from Kontaveit on the first championship point. 

Krejicikova and her compatriot Katerina Siniakova won three doubles women’s titles at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. Last year they won Madrid, Roland Garros, the Olympic Games and the WTA Finals. 

“Every trophy is special, especially in singles right now, where this year was really tough, so it means a lot. It was a really amazing week, a special week”, said Krejicikova. 

“I am really proud how I was able to bring my best performance for the final. I was expecting that Anett is going to play fast and she would try to put me under pressure from the first point. I was ju trying to play my game, and just trying to eliminate that. I just really wanted to go out there and play my best tennis and try to enjoy the final, because it took me a lot of fight and energy to get there”, said Krejcikova. 

Kontaveit was aiming to win her second title this season following her triumph in St. Petersburg over Maria Sakkari last February. The Estonian player reached two more finals in 2022 at the WTA 1000 in Doha and in Hamburg, but she finished runner-up in both tournaments. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Marc Andrea Huesler earns the first title of his career in Sofia

Avatar

Published

on

Marc Andrea Huesler edged past Holger Rune 6-4 7-6 (10-8) after 1 hour and 42 minutes to earn the maiden title of his career at the Sofia Open in his first career final on the ATP tour.

 

Huesler broke Rune in the first game before holding in all five of his service games. Both players continued to dominate on their serve in the second set. He wasted two set points, when he was leading 6-5. Huesler held serve to take the second set to a tie-break. Rune failed to convert two more set points in the tie-break. Huesler earned two mini-breaks to seal the tie-break 10-8. 

Earlier this week Huesler beat Geoffrey Blancaneaux, Kamil Majchrzak and Lorenzo Musetti. He saved two match points against Majchrzak in the quarter finals. 

Huesler has become the first Swiss player to win an ATP Tour  since Roger Federer in Basel in 2019. 

“I played a great match for sure. I am completely taken aback. I am lost for words. It was a great match. I just tried to stay focused, stayed calm and I am just really happy I was able to make it. I would definitely say the conditions here suit me. I already felt that two years ago here suit me. I already felt that two years ago, when I played a good level of tennis,, beating Nikoloz Basilashvili before losing to Jannik Sinner. I am feeling good here .My game is based on my serve a lot and I think that indoor here, I am really happy to put a lot of pressure on the opponent that way, and the way I was volleying this week, I surprised myself as well”, said Huesler. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending