Tennis Australia is optimistic that unvaccinated players will be allowed to play at the Australian Open but they will have to go through a 14-day quarantine upon arrival, according to an internal communication.
On Sunday evening the WTA Players Council sent out an email to players detailing what they believe will be the rules for those travelling to the country. In recent weeks there has been doubts over the prospect of players being allowed to play in the Grand Slam if they have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 following a health mandate that was implemented by the local government. Minister for Immigration, Alex Hawke, previously said players will need to be double vaccinated to play but Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula later stated that no decision has been made yet.
However, it now appears that all players will be able to participate in the tournament regardless of their status but will be subjected to different restrictions. According to a WTA email sent to provide clarity on the current situation, vaccinated players will be free to do as they wish once they have conducted a COVID-19 test upon arrival. However, unvaccinated players will have to go through a mandatory 14-day quarantine and will be subjected to regular testing.
“We feel the need to reach out to you all to clear up false and misleading information that has recently been spread by other parties about the conditions the players will be forced to endure at next year’s Australian Open,” the WTA statement read.
“Because Victoria’s vaccination rate will hit 80 per cent at the end of the week and 90 per cent next month, it has been confirmed that conditions for players at the Australian Open will improve significantly.
“The conditions for fully vaccinated players are that they can arrive any time after December 1st, must have a negative test within 72 hours of departure, [and] must test within 24 hours of arrival.
“[Players] are not required to quarantine or stay in a bubble, will have no ongoing restrictions imposed on them, [and] will have complete freedom of movement.”
It is understood that the Victorian government has not finalised their rules and it is possible that changes could be made over the coming weeks. A further meeting with Tennis Australia is scheduled for this Friday where tennis’ governing bodies will be trying to seek more clarity on matters such as close contacts.
The Age newspaper has obtained a statement from Tennis Australia who say they hope to hold the tournament ‘as close to pre-pandemic conditions as possible.’ It is also understood that the plan now is for the qualifying tournament to be held in Melbourne Park again instead of the Middle East. This year’s qualifying event was held in Dubai and Doha.
“We are working with the Victorian and federal governments on the conditions for players at Australian Open 2022 and look forward to having the details confirmed soon,” a statement reads.
“Everyone has been buoyed by the easing of restrictions over the past week, along with the Premier’s announcement yesterday [Sunday] that large crowds will be welcomed back to events next year.
“We are optimistic that we can hold the Australian Open as close to pre-pandemic conditions as possible.”
To add to the confusion further, Tennis Australia sources have told The Age they are concerned that local authorities may change their minds and not grant exceptions amid a public backlash. Although there is no concrete information to suggest that this will happen.
The WTA letter first surfaced on social media after it was leaked by journalist Ben Rothenberg who received the communication from an unnamed player. The publication of the letter triggered criticism from two-time Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka who voiced her frustration about a private matter being made public. Azarenka is a member of the WTA Players Council.
“The fact that this was shared to players confidentially and within 2 hours Ben you are posting this. You clearly haven’t read the email. Unless I missed the point that you are a WTA player now?,” she wrote on Twitter.
“I always respect the reporters and what you guys do. Without a doubt However this is not the case here. It’s your duty to report things if they are not reported, but to leak information before it’s officially announced is clickbait.”
Despite the letter there are still some unanswered questions. It is still unclear as to if unvaccinated players will have free movement once they have gone through their 14-day quarantine. There is also no problem information concerning the vaccination rate among players with many wanting to keep it private. So it is unclear as to how many will be affected by the quarantine rule.
The Australian Open is scheduled to start on January 17th.
Nick Kyrgios Backs Australian Open Ban On Unvaccinated Players But Opposes Mandatory Vaccinations
The world No.90 landed himself in some hot water after making some comments on the No Boundaries podcast.
Tennis star Nick Kyrgios says recent comments made by him on a podcast were taken out of context after he was accused of calling for next year’s Australian Open to be cancelled.
The former top 20 player spoke about the upcoming event and other issues on the No Boundaries podcast which he is a co-founder of. During one part of the discussion, Kyrgios said that he doesn’t think that the Australian Open should go ahead due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The country has had one of the strictest rules in the world regarding the pandemic with many cities being placed into a lockdown for almost a year and heavy restrictions being placed on international travel.
‘I don’t think the Aus Open should go ahead, just for the people in Melbourne – you’ve got to send a message,’ Kyrgios said on the podcast.
‘How long did (Melbourne) do in lockdown? 275 days or something?’
However, the 26-year-old later clarified his comment and said his point was more about the people living in Melbourne and not that the tournament should be cancelled. Kyrgios reached the quarter-finals of the Australian Open back in 2015 and has made eight consecutive appearances in the main draw. This year he reached the third round before losing to Dominic Thiem in five sets.
“To say that I’d want the Australian Open cancelled, I think that was the sentence that got taken out of context,” he said in a video on his Instagram account. “It’s more so for the people of Melbourne who have gone through hell and back. I think it’s been … nearly 300 days of lockdown and your freedom has been, you know, taken away from you.”
Next year’s Melbourne major is still yet to publicly confirm their entry requirements amid growing speculation that players will only be allowed to play in the tournament if they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is due to a health mandate being implemented in Victoria which requires all essential workers, including elite athletes, to be vaccinated. Premier Daniel Andrews has previously told journalists that he would not be making any exceptions to the rules for players.
Weighing in on the topic of vaccinations, Kyrgios said the idea of having a policy on Tour which requires all players to be vaccinated is ‘morally wrong.’ Novak Djokovic is among a group of players who have not revealed their vaccination status. Prompting speculation over if he will travel to Australia next January or not.
“(NBA player) Kyrie (Irving), Novak (Djokovic), these guys have given so much, sacrificed so much,” Kyrgios commented. “They’re global athletes who millions of people look up to and I just feel like it’s so morally wrong to force someone to get vaxxed. There’s other solutions around it.”
However, Kyrgios has also said that he thinks it is ‘morally wrong’ for unvaccinated players to be allowed in Melbourne.
“I don’t think it’s morally right to accept players from overseas that aren’t vaccinated to come into our country.” He stated.
Although Tennis Australia is yet to confirm their policy, media sources are reporting on Tuesday that unvaccinated players will be banned from the tournament. According to ABC Australia, Victorian Sports minister Martin Pakula told reporters that unvaccinated players would be banned from the Australian Open along with unvaccinated fans and staff.
Roger Federer Unlikely To Play Australian Open Next Year
One of Federer’s coaches has issued an update concerning his recovery from injury.
It appears that Roger Federer’s return to professional tennis will not occur in Australia after one of his coaches described the chances of him playing in the first Grand Slam of 2022 as ‘very few.’
Ivan Ljubicic has issued an update on the 20-time Grand Slam champion who has not played since his quarter-final loss to Herbert Hurkacz at Wimbledon. Shortly after that defeat, Federer underwent a third operation of his knee following a consultation with his medical team. He has already undergone two minor surgeries on his knee during the first half of 2020, as well as a separate procedure back in 2016.
Speaking in Zurich during a sponsor event for Mercedes-Benz back in September Federer said ‘the worst is behind him’ but he is taking his recovery slowly. Speaking about his progress earlier this week, coach Ljubicic said the Swiss maestro is unable to recover ‘as quickly as he used to’ due to his age. Admitting that the prospect of Federer returning to action at Melbourne Park is unlikely.
“I think there are very few chances, he is still recovering and knowing him, he wants to be sure he can play to win the tournament and be at 100%,” Ljubicic told Stats Perform.
“So I think the Australian Open is not a real possibility right now. But he will go step by step because he is 40 years old now and he needs to be patient. He cannot recover as quickly as he used to.”
Federer has won six out of his 20 major titles at the Australian Open with the most recent occurring back in 2018. He also missed the tournament this year due to his knee. Prior to this, he had made 21 consecutive appearances at Maelbourne Park (2000-2020).
However, Ljubicic is optimistic that Federer will return to competition and retirement talk is currently not on the cards despite his age. According to the ATP, only six players older than Federer have an official ranking but none of those are currently ranked in the top 200. Although Feliciano Lopez is the same age as him but is a couple months younger.
“We have spoken and I can guarantee he wants to return to playing tennis. When he decides to stop he will retire, but I don’t think it’s going to happen all of a sudden.” Ljubicic stated.
During his career, Federer has won 103 ATP titles and has earned more than $130M in prize money.
Australian Open To Outline Plans Next Week As Victorian Premier Says No To Granting Exceptions
It is looking increasingly doubtful that unvaccinated players will be allowed to play in the Grand Slam.
With just over two months until the start of the Australian Open there is still confusion over what the entry requirements will be for players who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19.
There is speculation that those who have not been jabbed against the virus may be banned from playing at the Grand Slam tournament which will begin on January 17th. This is due to a health mandate implemented in Victoria which requires all essential workers, including athletes, to have their vaccinations. However, no official announcement has been made despite the new season beginning in less than eight weeks time.
Craig Tiley, who is the head of Tennis Australia, was questioned if unvaccinated players will be allowed to play in Melbourne on Tuesday at a special media event marking the announcement of Dylan Alcott’s retirement. However, the tennis official refused to shed light on the current situation.
“I just want this to be about Dylan today and then I’ll take any of those questions another time,” the Australian Associated Press quoted Tiley as saying.
It is understood that more information about the 2022 Australian Open will be announced next week at the ‘official launch’ of the event. However, this doesn’t mean that all details about the event will be disclosed.
On the same day as Tiley’s comment, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews reiterated his stance on the matter by stating he will not be applying for any exceptions to be made for tennis players. In a leaked letter issued by the WTA Players Council, one of the possibilities being discussed was allowing unvaccinated players to participate providing they go through a strict quarantine upon arrival in the country.
“I’m not going to have people sitting in the grandstands having done the right thing, only to have millionaire players that ought be vaccinated running around the place being essentially at such higher risk of spreading this – getting it and giving it,” Andrews said.
Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev, who contested the final of this year’s Australian Open, have refused to disclose details about their vaccination status. Meanwhile, others such as world No.9 doubles player Pierre-Hughes Herbert admits he is yet to be fully vaccinated.
“It’s a bit complex, because personally I’m not vaccinated. I don’t know if I will have time to do the two jabs and be vaccinated,” Herbert told reports in Paris on Sunday.
“It’s a bit difficult to tackle this subject right now. This situation in Australia is not very much open for discussion and open.”
Fellow French doubles player Nicolas Mahut said he received one vaccination shot three months after testing positive for COVID-19. Although this may not be enough to guarantee him entry into Australia.
“If I need a second jab after the Davis Cup, we don’t have a large window, so that’s it. The situation is not easy for me, as well,” he commented.
According to figures provided by both the ATP and WTA, more than 50% of players have been fully vaccinated.
WTA Suspends All Tournaments In China With Immediate Effect
Former World No.4 Johanna Konta Retires From Tennis
Rafael Nadal To Skip ATP Cup Ahead Of Australian Open
Sports Minister Rejects Accusation Of ‘Blackmail’ Against Novak Djokovic
Germany reaches the Davis Cup semifinals for the first time since 2007
Novak Djokovic Says ‘Media Propaganda’ Won’t Stop Him From Speaking Out
Roger Federer Hopes To End Career On His Own Terms But Wimbledon 2022 In Serious Doubt
‘Leader Of The Next Generation’ – Novak Djokovic Hails Medvedev After Paris Clash
Rafael Nadal To Play Australian Open Warm-Up Event In Abu Dhabi
REPORT: China Censors Naomi Osaka’s Weibo Account Over Peng Shuai Support
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
Hot Topics2 days ago
Emma Raducanu Sheds Light On Work With ‘Infectious’ Coach Beltz
Hot Topics1 day ago
IOC Plays Down Reported Use Of Translator During Video Call With Peng Shuai
Hot Topics2 days ago
New Covid-19 Variant, New Headache For Tennis Australia’s 2022 Masterplan
Latest news3 days ago
Croatia sets up a Davis Cup quarter final clash against Italy in Turin
Latest news1 day ago
Former Australian Davis Cup Players Slam Organisers Over Reported Move To Abu Dhabi
Latest news2 days ago
The Russian Tennis Federation scores come-back win over Spain to secure quarter final spot in the Davis Cup
Latest news2 days ago
‘We Competed Like Animals’ – Defending Champions Spain Knocked Out Of Davis Cup Finals
Latest news2 days ago
Croatia beats Italy to book semifinal spot in the Davis Cup