Shelby Rogers Hails No.1 Barty After Shock US Open Win - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Shelby Rogers Hails No.1 Barty After Shock US Open Win

After scoring one of the biggest wins of her career, the world No.43 paid a heartfelt tribute to ‘one of her favourite people.’

Avatar

Published

on

America’s Shelby Rogers has paid tribute to Ash Barty after stunning the world No.1 in the third round of the US Open on Saturday.

 

Rogers, who reached the quarter-finals in Flushing Meadows last year, battled her way to a 6-1, 2-6, 7-6(5) win over the Australian in what is her first-ever victory over a world No.1 player. The roller-coaster match saw the 28-year-old battled back from a 2-5 deficit in the decider by breaking Barty twice when she was serving for the win. Whilst the American produced only half the amount of winners compared to her opponent (18-37), she benefitted from Barty’s high unforced error count which amounted to 39.

“I had some tough tournaments before, some tough losses as well after starting the season pretty well. Tennis is very up-and-down. I just wanted to try to find my game again here (at the US Open),” Rogers reflected during her press conference.
“Tennis is funny like that. Right when you’re just like, Why can I not hit a ball in the court, then you do something like this and you love the sport all over again.”

The world No.43 had failed to win back-to-back matches at four consecutive tournaments coming into the US Open. She is yet to win a title of any sort on the WTA Tour but has been runner-up to two tournaments that were held on the clay. She made her WTA debut back in 2010.

It is the first time Rogers has got the better of Barty after losing to her on five previous occasions. At the end of their latest encounter, there was a warm exchange at the net between the two players who have high admiration for each other.

“She is one of the most professional people I’ve ever met in my life, as well as a good person, a funny individual,” Rogers said of the reigning Wimbledon champion. “Just refreshing to see. She’s super down-to-earth. I mean, she is one of my favourite people.
“I was joking before, every time I lost to her, I can’t be mad because she’s such a nice person. It’s like ‘man, she just kicked my butt’. Then it’s like ‘oh, you’re going to find it one day’. She’s always encouraging to everybody around her. She brings up the energy wherever she goes. I can’t say how much respect I have for her and what a great representative she is for women’s tennis.”

Continuing her praise, the American also hailed the recent sacrifices her opponent has made in order to play the sport. Barty hasn’t been back in her native Australia since February and instead opted to set up a base camp in Europe during the summer. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, should Barty return home she is required to isolate for two weeks.

“I want to speak to what she’s done this season. I think a lot of people are taking it for granted,” Rogers continued. “She hasn’t been able to go home since February, you guys. That’s insane. I mean, she’s resetting on the road. She’s worked through some injuries on the road. She’s won five titles. She’s remained No. 1. I mean this girl is everything every player wants to be, you know.
“Honestly I could do this for another 20 minutes. But, I mean, yeah, she’s one of my favourite people. Anytime I get to give her a hug, I try to take the moment.”

Meanwhile, Barty labels her opponent as one of the players who she respects the most on Tour.

“There are certain people on the tour that I think no matter the result you know you’re always going to get a genuine handshake, a smile, you’re going to get that genuine respect. For me Shelby has always been one of those people. She’s one that I respect, one of the most that I respect on tour, and she’s an incredible person,” she said.

After recording one of the biggest victories of her career, Rogers faces one of the sports most promising rising stars in the next round at New York. British qualifier Emma Raducanu was in clinical form throughout her third round match as she thrashed Spain’s Sara Sorribes Tormo 6-0, 6-1. The 18-year-old started 2021 ranked 345 in the world but has climbed almost 200 places since then with the help of a surprise run to the fourth round at Wimbledon.

“She’s fearless. She is playing very well and she’s inspired,” Rogers Commented on Raducanu.
“It’s going to be a battle. I am ready for it. It’s really cool to see the younger generation coming up in this tournament, getting some big wins. It’s really impressive.”

Latest news

Alexander Zverev reaches the fourth round at Roland Garros for the fifth consecutive year

Avatar

Published

on

Alexander Zverev edged past Brandon Nakashima 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 7-6 (7-5) in a hard-fought match on Court Suzanne Lenglen to reach the fourth round for the fifth consecutive year at Roland Garros. 

 

Zverev had reached the quarter finals in 2018 and 2019 and the semifinals in 2021. 

Zverev had saved a match point and came back from two sets down to beat Sebastian Baez in the second round. 

The match between Zverev and Nakashima featured just three breaks of serve, including a trade of breaks in the third set. Zverev fended off two break points in each of the first two sets. 

Zverev broke in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead with a backhand winner and held serve to take a two-set lead. Zverev earned a break in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead, but Nakashima broke straight back to draw level to 3-3. Seven of the 12 points went against serve in the tie-break. Zverev came back from 2-4 down in the tie-break and closed out the tie-break 7-5 with a backhand winner after 2 hours and 48 minutes.

“I think I raised my level today. I prefer this compared to the second round thriller. This is much better for me. I don’t lose too much hair. I can still grow old”, said Zverev. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Doubles Player Dream French Open Debut Ended By Instagram Message

Portugal’s Francisco Cabral said he found out he will not be playing in Paris through social media.

Avatar

Published

on

Francisco Cabral - Image via https://twitter.com/EstorilOpen/

Playing in the main draw of a Grand Slam is the pinnacle of many players’ careers but one player missed out on that opportunity due to an unfortunate situation. 

 

Portugal’s Francisco Cabral was set to play in the men’s doubles tournament for the first time at this week’s French Open. The world No.72 is currently at a career-high after winning his maiden Tour title in Estoril last month with compatriot Nuno Borges. In Paris, he entered into the draw alongside Denmark’s Holger Rune. 

However, shortly before he was set to make his Grand Slam debut Rune pulled out at the last minute. Leaving Cabral unable to look for another partner in such a short time. Rune’s withdrawal from the doubles was based on medical advice after he hurt his ankle during his second round clash against Henri Laaksonen. The Dane tripped over the court cover at the back of the court but fortunately wasn’t seriously injured and managed to continue playing. 

“Right now I feel a huge sadness because it’s a dream to play in a Grand Slam tournament. I’ve been here since Saturday training, waiting, watching games, experiencing a new world because it was my first Grand Slam and it’s another dimension and I was really, really looking forward to being able to play,” Cabral told Raquetc. “And having waited until 15 minutes before game time to know that I wasn’t going to play after all, it cost me a lot, but I did everything I could.”

Caral went on to criticize the behavior of Rune who informed him that he would not be playing in the doubles event via a message sent on Instagram. It is unclear why the two never spoke face-to-face. 

“He only told me that he had sprained his foot, that he was at the doctor’s, and that he had told him not to play the doubles. I’m sad about his attitude because he didn’t even say this to my face, he just sent me a message on Instagram. I don’t think it went well, but as I said, I couldn’t have done anything differently, so I’ll just wait for the next opportunity.” He said. 

25-year-old Cabral is targeting Wimbledon as the event where he will play his first main draw match. 

Meanwhile, Rune will continue his singles campaign at Roland Garros on Saturday when he plays Hugo Gaston in the third round. The former world No.1 junior has shot up the rankings this season to a high of 40th. 

Cabral and Rune has been replaced in the draw by Sander Arends and Szymon Walków. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Seven Top 10 Seeds Fail To Reach Third Round Of Women’s Draw In French Open First

The series of high-profile exits has set a new milestone but for the wrong reasons.

Avatar

Published

on

Maria Sakkari - Roland Garros 2022 (foto Roberto dell'Olivo)

The first five days of this year’s French Open have been tough going for some of the world’s best players on the women’s Tour.

 

A series of shock early losses has opened up parts of the women’s draw with 14 out of the last 32 players remaining in the tournament being unseeded. Former champions Garbine Muguruza and Barbora Krejcikova fell in the first round, as well as fellow top 10 seeds Ons Jabeur and Anett Kontaveit. Then in the second round Maria Sakkari (No.4), Karolina Pliskova (No.8) and Danielle Collins (No.9) all crashed out.

Heading into the third round seven top 10 seeds have already been knocked out of the French Open which is a new record for Roland Garros. The tournament has featured draws including 10 or more seeds since 1978.

“I knew that I wanted to do well, but things are different every year and we have seen so many upsets over all these years,” Sakkari said following her exit.
“At this level you always have to accept that you cannot go deep in every single tournament or every single big tournament.”

Jabeur was tipped by some as a serious contender for the title this year before losing her opening match to an inspired Magda Linette. Prior to the tournament, she boasted a 17-3 record on the clay this year, winning the Madrid Open title and reaching the final of two other events (Charleston and Rome).

“I wanted to go as far as I could in the tournament because I played well on clay in Madrid and in Rome, and it’s difficult to take that one in,” she said. ”But that’s what sport is like and you need to be smart enough to move forward and get back on court.’
“Maybe it was a good thing to lose. I would rather say this and be really tough with myself than waste all the good energy that I got from Madrid and Rome.”

In recent years the French Open women’s tournament has been full of unpredictability. The past three editions being won by players who didn’t hold a major title of any sort (in singles) coming into the draw.

One player who has managed to buckle the trend of inconsistency is world No.1 Iga Swiatek who has won 30 matches in a row. The fourth longest streak on the WTA Tour since 2000 after both of the Williams sisters and Justine Henin. Swiatek is also the first player to win 13 or more matches in a row whilst at the top of the rankings since Serena Williams back in 2015.

“I was saying from the beginning that for sure I’m going to reach a point where I’m going to lose a match, and it’s pretty normal,” Swiatek said following her 6-0, 6-2, triumph over Alison Riske.
“I have been losing matches in tennis for a long time. For sure the things we (my team) are doing right now are pretty extraordinary but I know in tennis that only one person wins in the end.’
“I will be okay with that. For sure it’s not fun to lose, but I think it wouldn’t be different than any other loss that I had, you know, in my career.”

Other top 10 seeds remaining in this year’s draw are Paula Badosa and Aryna Sabalenka.

Meanwhile, in the men’s draw all top 12 seeds have reached the third round for the first time since 2009.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending