The Alexander Zverev Abuse Allegations: Who Said What? - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

The Alexander Zverev Abuse Allegations: Who Said What?

The world No.4 told journalists on Friday that domestic abuse allegations have been proven untrue by a court. However, that is questionable.

Published

on

Alexander Zverev (GER) - Credit: AELTC/Edward Whitaker

Heading into the final Grand Slam of the season Alexander Zverev finds himself under a dark cloud after fresh allegations of domestic abuse emerged earlier this week.

Over a year ago Zverev’s former girlfriend Olga Sharypova sensationally accused the tennis star of abusing her both mentally and physically to such an extent that she considered committing suicide. In one alleged incident, she told Russian media that Zverev attempted to strangle her with a pillow and he hit her head against the wall during their stay at a New York hotel in 2019. During the same time, she told Racquet magazine injected insulin into her body in a suicide attempt.

Sharypova, who first met Zverev whilst she was playing on the junior circuit, now says that her former partner once said he wished she would die. The second part of her interview with journalist Ben Rothenberg has been posted on slate.com in which she made more serious allegations. One of which was said to have occurred during the 2019 Shanghai Masters. Whilst in China Sharypova spoke about how she was grabbed by the throat, pushed against the wall and then punched.

“When I got out of the shower, I was starting to take a towel and he came and said, ‘Pack your stuff right now and leave “I’m just like, ‘OK, can you wait a few minutes please? I’m naked here.’ She said.
“He started to punch me, and this time I understand that I can’t be dough for punching.”

Zverev has denied any wrongdoing throughout and says he never abused his former partner. In the past, he has refused to get drawn in on the subject whilst speaking to the media, however, after the latest claims emerged he issued a statement threatening legal action.

“I have engaged my German and American lawyers in the matter. They have already obtained a preliminary injunction against the source and the author who published the false allegations,” Zverev said.
“The court followed our arguments and states, the accusations aroused are defamatory and false. The lawyers have therefore initiated further proceedings against the source and the author.
“I categorically and unequivocally deny having abused Olya.”

The 24-year-old has never faced any charges related to abuse and Sharypova had previously said she doesn’t want to launch any legal action. Saying her goal is to raise awareness about domestic abuse.

Questioned by reporters on Friday during his pre-tournament press conference at the US Open, Zverev assured that the allegations had been proven untrue by a court without elaborating any further. Although it is unclear as to why such a term has been used if he and his former partner haven’t addressed this issue legally. From a legal standpoint, an injunction can be taken out but the allegations can only legally be deemed untrue if a proper investigation is launched.

“I’ve always said that the allegations and everything that has been said is untrue. The court confirmed that. So there’s nothing else to say from my side because, as I said, the court confirmed that it’s untrue,” Zverev insisted.
“We didn’t go to trial. If the court confirmed it, the court confirmed it. There’s nothing else that I can say,”
he added.

Whilst maintaining he is innocent and has the court on his side, Zverev’s accuser continues to dispute his versions of events. Questioning his claims about the defamation case before going on to say she hasn’t been contacted by anybody.

“I’m not afraid of you, or your family, or your legal team, who apparently made German media stay quiet about my article, but after your statements, they wrote dozens of articles that you won a defamation case against me in court. Why am I not aware we went to court? Don’t your lawyers have my numbers?” Sharypova wrote on Instagram.
“All your successes and money won’t help you shut me down and you know it. I said the truth and you’re going to court to try and win it with a lie? Nice try to score me, but I have nothing to be afraid of.”

As for Slate, who published Sharypova’s latest article, they have hit back at legal threats from Zverev. In a statement, the company says they stand by their ‘fair and accurate reporting based on multiple sources and interviews.’

Zverev is the fourth seed at this year’s US Open where he will play Sam Querrey in the first round on Tuesday.

ATP

Hubert Hurkacz Undergoes ‘Knee Procedure’ Ahead of Olympic Bid

Published

on

Poland’s top player on the ATP Tour is not giving up on his dream of winning a medal at the Olympic Games despite recently undergoing a medical procedure.

World No.7 Hubert Hurkacz suffered a knee injury during his second round clash at Wimbledon against France’s Arthur Fils. In the fourth set tiebreak of their clash, Hurkacz dived for a shot but landed badly on his knee and required on-court medical attention. He then played two more points before retiring from the match. 

In a social media post published on Wednesday, the  27-year-old confirmed he underwent a procedure on his knee earlier this week but didn’t provide any further details.  Although Hurkacz has stated his intention to play at the upcoming Olympic Games in Paris, where the tennis event will be held on the clay at Roland Garros. 

“I had a knee procedure this Monday, but I’m feeling better already and my team and are dedicating extensive time each day to the rehab process.” He wrote on Instagram. 

“It’s a dream for every athlete to represent their country at the Olympics, and I want to make sure I am fully fit and ready before making the final decision to step on court. The aim is not only to participate, but to win a medal for my country.”

So far this season Hurkacz has won 34 out of 48 matches played on the Tour. He won the Estoril Open in April and was runner-up to Jannik Sinner in Halle. 

The Olympic tennis event is scheduled to begin a week Saturday on July 27th. Poland is yet to win a medal in the event but expectations are high with women’s No.1 Iga Swiatek also taking part. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Motivation, Pressure And Expectations – Novak Djokovic Targets History At Wimbledon

Published

on

image via x.com/wimbledon

Novak Djokovic has broken numerous records throughout his career but he still feels the pressure of trying to make history in the sport. 

The world No.2 is through to his 10th Wimbledon final where he will play Carlos Alcaraz, who beat him at this stage of the tournament 12 months ago. There is plenty on the line for the Serbian who could equal Roger Federer’s record for most men’s titles won at SW19 and break the overall record for most major singles won in the sport if he triumphs over the Spaniard. Djokovic currently has 24 Grand Slam trophies to his name which is the same as Margaret Court, who won some of her titles before the Open Era started. 

“Obviously I’m aware that Roger [Federer] holds eight Wimbledons. I hold seven. History is on the line.” Djokovic said on Friday after beating Lorenzo Musetti.

“Also, the 25th potential Grand Slam. Of course, it serves as a great motivation, but at the same time it’s also a lot of pressure and expectations.”

Coming into Wimbledon, there had been doubts over Djokovic’s form after he underwent surgery to treat a knee injury he suffered at the French Open. However, he has defied the odds to reach the final. His run has also seen him beat Alexi Popyrin and Holger Rune before getting a walkover in the quarter-finals from Alex de Minaur, who sustained an injury during the tournament. Then on Friday, he overcame a spirited Musetti in three sets. 

Despite the challenge, Djokovic has insisted that his expectations to do well are always high no matter what the situation is. During what has been a roller-coaster first six months of the season, he is yet to win a title this year or beat a player currently ranked in the top 10. Although he will achieve both of these if her beats Alcaraz on Sunday. 

“Every time I step out on the court now, even though I’m 37 and competing with the 21-year-olds, I still expect myself to win most of the matches, and people expect me to win, whatever, 99% of the matches that I play.” He said.

“I always have to come out on the court and perform my best in order to still be at the level with Carlos [Alcaraz] or Jannik [Sinner] or Sascha [Zverev] or any of those guys, Daniil [Medvedev]. 

“This year hasn’t been that successful for me. It’s probably the weakest results the first six months I’ve had in many years. That’s okay. I had to adapt and accept that and really try to find also way out from the injury that I had and kind of regroup.”

Djokovic hopes that a Wimbledon win will help turn his season around like it has done in the past for him. 

“Wimbledon historically there’s been seasons where I wasn’t maybe playing at a desired level, but then I would win a Wimbledon title and then things would change.” He commented.

“For example, that was the case in 2018 when I had elbow surgery earlier in the year, dropped my rankings out of top 20, losing in fourth round of Australian Open, I think it was quarters of Roland-Garros, and just not playing the tennis that I want to play. Then I won Wimbledon and then won US Open and then later on became No.1 very soon.”

Meanwhile, 21-year-old Alcaraz is hoping to stop Djokovic in his tracks. Should he defend his title at Wimbledon, he would become the first player outside the Big Three to do so since Pete Sampras more than 20 years ago. He has won their only previous meeting on the grass but trails their head-to-head 3-2. 

“I’m sure he knows what he has to do to beat me,” said Alcaraz.

“But I’m ready to take that challenge and I’m ready to do it well.”

When the two players take to the court to play in the Wimbledon final, Djokovic will be 15 years and 348 days older than Alcaraz. Making it the largest age gap in a men’s Grand Slam final since the 1974 US Open. Whoever is victorious will receive £2,700,000 in prize money. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Carlos Alcaraz And Novak Djokovic Wouldn’t Yield To Medvedev And Musetti At Wimbledon

Published

on

image via x.com/wimbledon

Carlos Alcaraz seemed to be on his own against a vastly improved Daniil Medvedev. The defending Wimbledon champion appeared to be out of tricks.

And Medvedev sensed it.

Alcaraz still scored a 6-7 (1), 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Medvedev. It may look rather easy on paper, but there was nothing easy about Alcaraz’s victory. The young Spaniard just came through when he needed it to advance to what he hopes will lead to his fourth Grand Slam title.

MEDVEDEV APPLIED ENDLESS PRESSURE

Medvedev was always there, ready to pounce on any mistake by Alcaraz. But mistakes didn’t happen that often after Medvedev took the first set in a tie-breaker.

Alcaraz hadn’t served that well in the first set that Medvedev had taken in a tiebreaker. But it was a different story once Alcaraz found the mark on his serves. He just kept holding service until the match was his.

Remember, he’s only 21 years old. But now he faces someone in this Wimbledon final almost twice as old in 37-year-old Novak Djokovic.

NOVAK DIDN’T LET INJURED KNEE STOP HIM

Early in the match, Djokovic looked like he might have problems against Lorenzo Musetti. He appeared to have a slight limp in the right knee that was covered by a band. Of course, it’s been less than six months since Novak underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in that knee.

Djokovic didn’t always chase after balls in situations where his service game wasn’t in jeopardy. He just hit winners when the opportunities came along, and his serve was always ready to win a point, a game or the match.

MUSETTI WASN’T THE SAME

Young 25th seed Musetti had been so strong and talented in his quarterfinal upset of Taylor Fritz. The 22-year-old Italian had looked like he might be a threat to the likes of Djokovic and Alcaraz in the last two rounds in London.

Musetti appeared to be able to run down everything against the speedy Fritz, until Fritz seemed to grow tired in a fifth set that Musetti won easily.

The Italian wasn’t the same against Djokovic.

Djokovic was just too good and too consistent to allow Musetti to stop his bid for another title.

NOVAK THE VIOLINIST

The setting was completely different this time with Djokovic looking questionable at the start. But Musetti could hardly push Djokovic, and ended up losing by a 6-4, 7-6 (2), 6-4. Once Novak charged through the second set tiebreaker, dropping only two points, Musetti couldn’t get back into the match.

And then Novak came out pretending to play a violin on his racket for his precious 6-year-old daughter Tara, whom Novak said has been learning to play the violin for about six months.

Some fans apparently didn’t like this, but then there probably were others who became Novak Djokovic fans. Novak obviously is a great guy and dad these days.

After all, Novak has just played his 97th Wimbledon match, and he’s hoping in his 37th Grand Slam final to tie Roger Federer’s record of eight Wimbledon titles.

James Beck was the 2003 winner of the USTA National Media Award  for print media. A 1995 MBA graduate of The Citadel, he can be reached at Jamesbecktennis@gmail.com. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending