20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer says he is wary about the prospect of full crowds returning to tennis events with Wimbledon set to do so from Tuesday onwards.
The All England Club has been given the green light from government officials to operate at 100% capacity from the quarter-final stage onwards. Making it the first outdoor sporting event in the country to do so since post-lockdown. Wimbledon’s Centre Court has a capacity of 14,979 and Court One can hold up to 12,345 people. It comes a day after the British government announced that the majority of their restrictions related to the pandemic will be lifted on July 19th.
Whilst many are celebrating the lifting of restrictions as a return towards normality, Federer believes that the pandemic is far from over and fears there is ‘more to come.’ Making reference to the upcoming winter where virus rates are usually substantially higher.
“I’m still not a hundred percent convinced we are on the other side. I still think there is more to come,” he said following his fourth round win over Lorenzo Sonego.
“Last year in the summer we also felt the same way, super positive, having a few cases here and there. It looked very promising, then everything changed again later on in the year, especially indoors for us (tennis player) in Europe it gets tricky.”
Over the past year various tournaments have had to be held behind closed doors, including the US Open and part of the Australian Open. Meanwhile, other events have had their capacity restricted by local officials.
Federer, who is playing in his fifth tournament since returning from injury, admits that if he had won a major title without a crowd it would have made it ‘70% to 80%’ less special for him. Paying tribute to the importance of fans at tennis tournaments.
“I tried to think back like what would it have meant for me to win Wimbledon with no crowds in a final. Last year I was thinking that as I was watching guys play with very little crowd or no crowd. I felt like it probably would have taken 70% or 80% of everything away from me,” he said.
“Sure, I would have been Wimbledon champion, but it never would have felt the same. That’s why we are so happy that we have crowds back.”
“I hope it stays this way. I hope that this tournament or the Euro (football championship) or whatever events are going to keep on happening in the future also are not going to create more burden on more families and more people,” he added.
At Wimbledon players are staying in a bubble where they have to follow certain procedures which include undergoing regular testing and staying at a designated hotel. Even those who live in the city are not allowed to stay in their homes during the tournament if they wish to play.
The rules have been implemented to limit the threat of a COVID-19 outbreak among players. Although two have been withdrawn from the event after being declared a close contact with somebody who has tested positive, including Johanna Konta.
“I feel safe as it’s outdoors, a big space. But it’s also very new for me because I haven’t played much on the tour yet, so I’m still very, very careful, especially with close contact.” Federer commented.
“I’m very much aware we’re still very much in the bubble, but we’re all hoping we can move on soon.”
Federer will play either Daniil Medvedev or Herbert Hurkacz in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon.
Andy Murray Surging In Confidence After Reaching First ATP Quarter-Final Since 2019
The 34-year-old believes he is getting better with every match played on the Tour as he eyes a spot in the final later this week.
Former world No.1 Andy Murray says he is starting to gain more belief in his game after reaching the quarter-finals of the Moselle Open on Wednesday.
The three-time Grand Slam champion rallied to a 6-3, 6-3, win over Canada’s Vasek Pospisil in the French city. Murray dropped serve only once at the start of the second set but broke his opponent four times en route to the victory. It is the first time he has registered back-to-back wins on the ATP Tour since Wimbledon and it is the first time he has reached a quarter-final since winning the 2019 Antwerp Open.
Murray showed glimmers of his best tennis recently at the US Open where he took Stefanos Tsitsipas to five sets in the first round before losing. However, in his following tournament on the Challenger circuit he lost in the second round to world No.154 Roman Safiullin. Despite the mixed performances, the Brit says his fitness continues to improve and he believes he is heading in the right direction.
“For me, this period of the last few years has been the most I have played really,” Murray said following his win over Pospisil.
“My body feels good and I am starting to gain just a little bit of confidence with each match, starting to see the points and how I want to play them, which is great.
“There have been times in the past year where I have been a little bit confused and not seeing how the points are developing which was always a strong part of my game.
“It made me feel quite uncomfortable on court when I was feeling that way, so I am starting to get that back and the results are coming, my tennis is getting better.”
The 34-year-old, who now plays on the Tour with a metal hip after undergoing two operations, is targeting a return back into the world’s top 100 for the first time since 2018. He came agonisingly close in July when he reached 102. At present, he is currently ranked 113 but will climb at least four places following his run in Metz this week.
In the next round Murray will play either top seed Hubert Hurkacz or former top 10 player Lucas Pouille. Both players are likely to be a stern challenge for the three-time Grand Slam champion who is hoping to reach the final for the first time since 2007.
“I would love to get another opportunity to play here in the final, but there is a lot of tennis to be played before then potentially against the number one seed in the next round,” he reflected.
“It is not going to be easy if I want to reach the final, but I am playing well and have an opportunity.”
Murray has won 42 ATP titles and has earned more than $62M in prize money so far in his career.
Diego Schwartzman Receives Threats On Social Media Following Shock Davis Cup Defeat
The world No.15 is the latest player to speak out about recieving abusive messages on social media.
The weekend has been an emotional rollercoaster for Diego Schwartzman, who suffered ‘one of the worst’ losses of his career before helping secure victory for his country in their Davis Cup tie against Belarus.
On Saturday the world No.15 was stunned by unranked 18-year-old Daniil Ostapenkov who is yet to play a professional match on the pro Tour. Ostapenkov is currently ranked 63 in the world on the junior circuit. The comprehensive victory shocked the Argentinian team who was hosting the tie at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.
Despite the shock upset, Schwartman managed to redeem himself the following day when he defeated Alexander Zgirovsky 6-1, 6-2. That victory handed his country an unassailable 3-1 lead in their tie and secured their place in the 2022 Davis Cup qualifiers which will take place next March.
“Not only playing Davis, but in Buenos Aires, with a lot of people you don’t see, it’s not easy. My level can be and has to be much better. After the game on Saturday I had a difficult day in the spirit of being able to get up and enjoy with the group,” La Nacion quoted Schwartzman as saying.
“The most normal thing was that we won the series. It’s what everyone expected. But when you have a very difficult day at work like it was on Saturday and then you win, it excites you because you have some internal things withheld.”
Between those two matches, Schwartzman revealed that he was trolled on social media by some people unhappy about his loss in the tie. The 2020 French Open semi-finalist said he received criticism and even threats from some asking him to leave his home country. Something he admits affected him at times.
“It was one of the worst days of my career,” Schwartzman commented on his loss to Zgirovsky. “I lost to an unranked, inexperienced player. All that already affects (me) a lot. Although 80 or 90 percent of the people are always encouraging (me), there was a minority who criticized me with bad intentions.’
“I received threats, insults and requests not to return to Argentina. More or less, it affects (me)”.
Schwartzman is not the first player to speak out about online abuse. During the US Open Shelby Rogers said she was expecting to receive ‘death threats’ following her loss to Emma Raducanu who went on to win the title. Sloane Stephens has also previously spoken out about being the victim of racism online.
The 29-year-old says he has previously tried to interact with those who have trolled him on social media to find out why they are doing so.
“Sometimes I start to answer some messages and I ask those people if they realize what they are sending,” Schwartzman said during his press conference. “The vast majority apologize and say they had not realized it. But at the moment it hurts. That very ill-intentioned criticism is the only bad thing about social networks.”
Schwartzman has won four ATP titles and earned more than $10M in prize money so far in his career.
Spanish Veteran Feliciano Lopez Addresses Future On The Tour
23 years after he played his first main draw match on the ATP Tour, Lopez says his longevity in the sport has been achieved with the help of of some luck.
Feliciano Lopez has dismissed any speculation that he could retire in the coming weeks after saying he is taking life on the Tour in his stride.
The 39-year-old Spaniard is currently the second oldest player in the world’s top 200 after Roger Federer, who is a year older than him. Lopez made his ATP Tour debut at the 1998 Barcelona Open which was before the birth of Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz. In June he became the 10th active player to record his 500th win on the Tour.
Currently ranked 111th in the world, some are starting to wonder how much longer Lopez will continue playing. So far this season he has achieved a win-loss record of 9-19 with his best performance being a run to the quarter-finals of the Mallorca Open which was held on the grass. It was in Mallorca where he defeated Karen Khachanov who is the only top 30 player he has beaten so far in 2021.
“I play year-by-year, the last 6-7 years have been like this, a tennis player at that age cannot think about extending his career. After turning 30 I have been lucky, I have obtained the best results of my career,” Lopez told reporters on Friday.
“It is not very common for players my age, at (almost) 40 years to continue playing in the best tournaments.” He added.
Throughout his career, Lopez has impressively played in a record 78 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments dating back to the 2002 French Open. During that period he has reached the quarter-finals of a major tournament on four occasions.
“I don’t play to break records, what makes me most excited is to continue playing Grand Slams. For me, maintaining that record (78 consecutive Grand Slams played) is very nice, but more to follow. Being competitive,” he commented on the milestone.
“It is difficult for someone to overcome it because it is 20 years in a row without missing a great one. I have had continuity and enormous luck. Those of my generation are practically all retired.”
Away from the court, the former world No.12 is the current tournament director of the Madrid Open. Making him one of a few players historically to both be playing on the Tour and managing a tournament at the same time. Recently it was confirmed that Madrid will continue hosting it’s combined event until at least 2030 following a renewed agreement between the city council and the Madrid trophy promotion.
Lopez has won a total of seven ATP titles so far in his career and has earned more than $18M in prize money.
Tereza Martincova and Belinda Bencic reach the quarter final in Ostrava
Fresh Faces Descend Upon The Laver Cup To Fill Void Left By Big Three
Emil Ruusuvuori upsets Aslan Karatsev in Nur Saltan
Hubert Hurkacz beats Lucas Pouille to advance to the quarter finals in Metz
Maria Sakkari beats Jelena Ostapenko to reach the quarter final in Ostrava
Novak Djokovic ‘All In’ For History After Outlasting Zverev In US Open Semis
ATP Moves Closer To Staging Five More 12-Day Masters 1000 Events After Board Approval
Boris Becker Hits Out At ‘Unacceptable’ Treatment Of Novak Djokovic
WTA Luxembourg Open Axed Over Disagreements Between Tour And Organisers
Top Names Come In Support Of Openly Gay Players On The Men’s Tour
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
Hot Topics1 day ago
Roger Federer Eyes Laver Cup Captaincy Role Post-Retirement
Hot Topics2 days ago
EXPLAINED: Why Novak Djokovic’s Latest Trip To Bosnia Has Caused Controversy
Latest news1 day ago
Former Trainer Hits Out At Dominic Thiem Over Sudden Dismissal
Hot Topics2 days ago
REPORT: Australian Open To Hold Qualifying In The Middle East During Build Up To Christmas
Latest news2 days ago
Simona Halep Ends Six-Year Collaboration With Coach Cahill
Latest news3 days ago
Andy Murray battles past Ugo Humbert in Metz
Latest news2 days ago
John Millman beats Jaume Munar in three sets in Nur Sultan
ATP1 day ago
Andy Murray Surging In Confidence After Reaching First ATP Quarter-Final Since 2019