Wimbledon Wildcard Liam Broady Credits Andy Murray For Helping Him Turn Career Around - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Wimbledon Wildcard Liam Broady Credits Andy Murray For Helping Him Turn Career Around

Words of wisdom from the three-time Grand Slam champion seems to have done wonders for his fellow British player.

Avatar

Published

on

Liam Broady (GBR) celebrates after defeating Marco Cecchinato (ITA) on No.3 Court at The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day 1 Monday 28/06/2021. Credit: AELTC/Jed Leicester

Less than three years ago Britain’s Liam Broady admits that he contemplated walking away from the sport all together.

 

Once a promising junior star who peaked at a high of second in the rankings and reached the final of two major tournaments, Broady revealed that towards the end of 2018 he considered retirement. It was during that season where he failed to win back-to-back matches in 25 out of 29 tournaments played and plummeted outside of the world’s top 300.

Despite the blows, the Brit opted not to give up and continued playing. At this week’s Wimbledon Championships he finally returned to the winner’s circle after beating Italy’s Marco Cecchinato 6-3, 6-4, 6-0, in what is only his second main draw win at the tournament and first since 2015. As a result of the victory, he will climb back into the world’s top 140 and close in on his career ranking high of 137.

“I mean, to be honest, I’m the first person that feels that way,” Broady replied when asked if this victory has been a long time coming.
“But I look back now and it’s a longer journey than I thought it would have been. Obviously maybe I messed around a lot more than other people might have done who were sort of similar ages to me, my peers.
“But if I hadn’t have done that, would I know what I know now? Would I be in the same position I am now? Who knows. One thing I am is grateful I’m in this position again because I nearly stopped playing tennis. At the end of the day I’ll take what I can get.
“I played some pretty bad tennis over the years. But probably the end of 2018 I was pretty close to hanging the racquets up.”

The 27-year-old says part of the reason as to how he managed to turn his career around was a chat he had with Andy Murray during the Battle of the Brit exhibition in June last year where he received some valuable advice.

“I had an incredible conversation with him after the match, just me and him eating dinner in the cafe,” Broady said.
“Then he sent me a couple messages about the match, my game after that, which kind of turned it around for me quite a bit.”

Since that conversation, Broady has made steady progress on the Challenger Tour where he has reached the finals of tournaments in South Africa and Italy so far in 2021, as well as the semi-finals of two other events. He has jumped roughly 60 places in the ATP rankings within the past seven months.

However, Murray has played down the significance of his role in his compatriot’s surge in form. Questioned about Broady’s comments following his first round win over Nikoloz Basilashvili, the former world No.1 said he was ‘being a bit generous.’

“Yeah, we had a chat after that match, and, you know, he was really struggling like with his game and stuff,” he said.
“He was pretty down. I gave him some positive ideas and positive thoughts.
“He loves it, like, he works hard and he loves tennis.
“I told him that I thought he’d get to his career-high ranking within 12 months of that match. And he at the time was feeling terrible about his game, and I messaged him when he got to his career high [saying] I didn’t know if I totally believed it, but… …I really like him. He’s a good guy. I want him to do well, and I’m happy for him.
“He’s a very loud guy when things are going well, so imagine we’ve got a group chat with all the British tennis players, so I’d imagine he’ll be chirping up this evening!
“Yeah, it’s great that he’s turned it round and I’m happy that he’s doing well.”

Broady is on course to play 9th seed Diego Schwartzman in the second round. The Argentine was leading Benoit Paire by two sets on Monday before their match was postponed.

———-

Quotes via The I/Wimbledon media

ATP

Andy Murray Surging In Confidence After Reaching First ATP Quarter-Final Since 2019

The 34-year-old believes he is getting better with every match played on the Tour as he eyes a spot in the final later this week.

Avatar

Published

on

Andy Murray (image via https://twitter.com/ATPTour_ES)

Former world No.1 Andy Murray says he is starting to gain more belief in his game after reaching the quarter-finals of the Moselle Open on Wednesday.

 

The three-time Grand Slam champion rallied to a 6-3, 6-3, win over Canada’s Vasek Pospisil in the French city. Murray dropped serve only once at the start of the second set but broke his opponent four times en route to the victory. It is the first time he has registered back-to-back wins on the ATP Tour since Wimbledon and it is the first time he has reached a quarter-final since winning the 2019 Antwerp Open.

Murray showed glimmers of his best tennis recently at the US Open where he took Stefanos Tsitsipas to five sets in the first round before losing. However, in his following tournament on the Challenger circuit he lost in the second round to world No.154 Roman Safiullin. Despite the mixed performances, the Brit says his fitness continues to improve and he believes he is heading in the right direction.

“For me, this period of the last few years has been the most I have played really,” Murray said following his win over Pospisil.
“My body feels good and I am starting to gain just a little bit of confidence with each match, starting to see the points and how I want to play them, which is great.
“There have been times in the past year where I have been a little bit confused and not seeing how the points are developing which was always a strong part of my game.
“It made me feel quite uncomfortable on court when I was feeling that way, so I am starting to get that back and the results are coming, my tennis is getting better.”

The 34-year-old, who now plays on the Tour with a metal hip after undergoing two operations, is targeting a return back into the world’s top 100 for the first time since 2018. He came agonisingly close in July when he reached 102. At present, he is currently ranked 113 but will climb at least four places following his run in Metz this week.

In the next round Murray will play either top seed Hubert Hurkacz or former top 10 player Lucas Pouille. Both players are likely to be a stern challenge for the three-time Grand Slam champion who is hoping to reach the final for the first time since 2007.

“I would love to get another opportunity to play here in the final, but there is a lot of tennis to be played before then potentially against the number one seed in the next round,” he reflected.
“It is not going to be easy if I want to reach the final, but I am playing well and have an opportunity.”

Murray has won 42 ATP titles and has earned more than $62M in prize money so far in his career.

Continue Reading

ATP

Diego Schwartzman Receives Threats On Social Media Following Shock Davis Cup Defeat

The world No.15 is the latest player to speak out about recieving abusive messages on social media.

Avatar

Published

on

The weekend has been an emotional rollercoaster for Diego Schwartzman, who suffered ‘one of the worst’ losses of his career before helping secure victory for his country in their Davis Cup tie against Belarus.

 

On Saturday the world No.15 was stunned by unranked 18-year-old Daniil Ostapenkov who is yet to play a professional match on the pro Tour. Ostapenkov is currently ranked 63 in the world on the junior circuit. The comprehensive victory shocked the Argentinian team who was hosting the tie at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.

Despite the shock upset, Schwartman managed to redeem himself the following day when he defeated Alexander Zgirovsky 6-1, 6-2. That victory handed his country an unassailable 3-1 lead in their tie and secured their place in the 2022 Davis Cup qualifiers which will take place next March.

Not only playing Davis, but in Buenos Aires, with a lot of people you don’t see, it’s not easy. My level can be and has to be much better. After the game on Saturday I had a difficult day in the spirit of being able to get up and enjoy with the group,” La Nacion quoted Schwartzman as saying.
“The most normal thing was that we won the series. It’s what everyone expected. But when you have a very difficult day at work like it was on Saturday and then you win, it excites you because you have some internal things withheld.”

Between those two matches, Schwartzman revealed that he was trolled on social media by some people unhappy about his loss in the tie. The 2020 French Open semi-finalist said he received criticism and even threats from some asking him to leave his home country. Something he admits affected him at times.

“It was one of the worst days of my career,” Schwartzman commented on his loss to Zgirovsky. “I lost to an unranked, inexperienced player. All that already affects (me) a lot. Although 80 or 90 percent of the people are always encouraging (me), there was a minority who criticized me with bad intentions.’
“I received threats, insults and requests not to return to Argentina. More or less, it affects (me)”.

Schwartzman is not the first player to speak out about online abuse. During the US Open Shelby Rogers said she was expecting to receive ‘death threats’ following her loss to Emma Raducanu who went on to win the title. Sloane Stephens has also previously spoken out about being the victim of racism online.

The 29-year-old says he has previously tried to interact with those who have trolled him on social media to find out why they are doing so.

Sometimes I start to answer some messages and I ask those people if they realize what they are sending,” Schwartzman said during his press conference. “The vast majority apologize and say they had not realized it. But at the moment it hurts. That very ill-intentioned criticism is the only bad thing about social networks.”

Schwartzman has won four ATP titles and earned more than $10M in prize money so far in his career.

Continue Reading

ATP

Spanish Veteran Feliciano Lopez Addresses Future On The Tour

23 years after he played his first main draw match on the ATP Tour, Lopez says his longevity in the sport has been achieved with the help of of some luck.

Avatar

Published

on

Feliciano Lopez of Spain is pictured during the semi-final of ATP Fever-Tree Championships tennis tournament at Queen's Club in west London on June 20, 2019.

Feliciano Lopez has dismissed any speculation that he could retire in the coming weeks after saying he is taking life on the Tour in his stride.

 

The 39-year-old Spaniard is currently the second oldest player in the world’s top 200 after Roger Federer, who is a year older than him. Lopez made his ATP Tour debut at the 1998 Barcelona Open which was before the birth of Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz. In June he became the 10th active player to record his 500th win on the Tour.

Currently ranked 111th in the world, some are starting to wonder how much longer Lopez will continue playing. So far this season he has achieved a win-loss record of 9-19 with his best performance being a run to the quarter-finals of the Mallorca Open which was held on the grass. It was in Mallorca where he defeated Karen Khachanov who is the only top 30 player he has beaten so far in 2021.

I play year-by-year, the last 6-7 years have been like this, a tennis player at that age cannot think about extending his career. After turning 30 I have been lucky, I have obtained the best results of my career,” Lopez told reporters on Friday.
It is not very common for players my age, at (almost) 40 years to continue playing in the best tournaments.” He added.

Throughout his career, Lopez has impressively played in a record 78 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments dating back to the 2002 French Open. During that period he has reached the quarter-finals of a major tournament on four occasions.

“I don’t play to break records, what makes me most excited is to continue playing Grand Slams. For me, maintaining that record (78 consecutive Grand Slams played) is very nice, but more to follow. Being competitive,” he commented on the milestone.
“It is difficult for someone to overcome it because it is 20 years in a row without missing a great one. I have had continuity and enormous luck. Those of my generation are practically all retired.”

Away from the court, the former world No.12 is the current tournament director of the Madrid Open. Making him one of a few players historically to both be playing on the Tour and managing a tournament at the same time. Recently it was confirmed that Madrid will continue hosting it’s combined event until at least 2030 following a renewed agreement between the city council and the Madrid trophy promotion.

Lopez has won a total of seven ATP titles so far in his career and has earned more than $18M in prize money.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending