A member of the government has confirmed that it is possible that the French open could be delayed for a second year in a row as the country enters into a third national lockdown.
Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu, who is a former Olympic swimmer herself, has told French radio that numerous options are on the table. Ranging from holding the event as currently planned to cancelling it all together. Last year the Grand Slam was moved to September due to the COVID-19 pandemic and took place with a reduced number of spectators allowed to attend.
“We are in discussion with them (the French Tennis Federation, which organises the event) to see if we should change the date to coincide with a possible resumption of all sports and major events,” Maracineanu told France Info radio.
“Today, although high-level sport has been preserved, we try to limit the risks of clusters, of spreading the virus within professional sports.”
Earlier in the week the head of the French Tennis Federation (FFT) said the tournament was on track but admitted that it is possible that the situation could change in the coming weeks. During an interview with AFP, Gilles Moretton stated that any future decision depends on lockdown restrictions.
“At the moment we are on track, the tournament is on the scheduled dates,” said Moretton. “But if we are told a general confinement for two months, we will necessarily have to take measures—at worst, complete cancellation, but I dare not imagine that.
The French Open is currently set to start next month on May 23rd. However, uncertainty over the event coincides with a surge in COVID-19 cases in the country. On Friday authorities said the number of seriously ill COVID patients in intensive care rose by 145 which is the biggest jump in five months. On the same day the country reported 46,677 new cases and 304 deaths.
In a bid to reduce the strain of the pandemic, a lockdown has been imposed on the country with all non-essential shops shut for four weeks and a curfew in place between 19:00 and 0600. Most sporting events have been unaffected by the move so far with the only exception being cycling’s Paris-Roubaix one-day race which has been delayed.
Rafael Nadal and Iga Swiatek are the reigning champions at Roland Garros.
REPORT: French Open Night Sessions Could Be Exclusively For Men
There will be an equal number of men’s and women’s matches on the premier court but one source is claiming priority will be given to one gender when it comes to playing at night.
The upcoming French Open could be embodied in controversy after a leading media source reported that a deal is being struck to give the evening slot to only male players.
This year will be the first time in history the clay court major will implement a night session starting from 21:00 local time. It has been made possible following a series of upgrades to the venue, including the use of floodlights. The French Open is the third major to implement such a session after both the US Open and Australian Open.
Although a significant argument could break out concerning the tournament with accusations of sexism. RMC Sport has obtained some information about the event and claims a deal is set to be struck for only men’s matches to be played at night. It is alleged that the move is down to the Amazon who has exclusive rights to the 10 night sessions. The belief is that they want to focus more on the men at night in order to maximise their potential audience.
RMC reports that the ‘provisional programme’ for the French Open is that there will be an equal number of men’s and women’s matches on the prestigious Philippe Chatrier Court. However, when it comes to the end of the day it will be men only. There has been no formal confirmation from either Amazon or the French Tennis Federation (FFT) regarding the report.
The controversial claims comes amid speculation over the start date of the French Open after the country went into lockdown for the third time. Roxana Maracineanu, who is the French minister of sport, recently admitted that a delay is possible due to the pandemic.
“Discussions are underway with the organisers on the methods used, in particular for the reception of the public,” the ministry spokeswoman told AFP.
“A delay of a few days is under discussion,” she added.
Both the ATP and WTA will be hoping that no delay occurs due to the impact it could have on their calendars. Should the Grand Slam take place a week later than expected, it will clash with four tournaments set to mark the start of the grass-court season. They are the ATP Stuttgart, ATP s-Hertogenbosch, WTA Nottingham and WTA ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
The French Open is critical for the FFT with it generating roughly 80% of their annual turnover, according to L’Equipe newspaper. Officials are hoping to hold the event in front of fans but this is subject to how the pandemic develops over the coming weeks. Last year the event was allowed to welcome no more than 1000 fans per day under government rules.
At present the French Open is set to begin on May 17th.
UPDATE: The FFT has since published a statement in which they have denied the report.
Undeterred Andy Murray Believes He Can Still Win Grand Slam Titles
The British tennis star isn’t giving up hope of returning back to the top of men’s tennis but admits some might think he is being delusional.
Andy Murray says he ‘genuinely believes’ that he can still challenge for the biggest titles in tennis despite a series of injury setbacks that has forced him to drop outside of the top 100.
The former world No.1 has been blighted by various setbacks in recent years which include undergoing two hip surgeries in successive years. In 2019 he underwent hip resurfacing surgery which involves inserting a metal rod into his joint. Since then the Brit has still endured some problems on the court with a pelvic issue also troubling him last season. To add to his woes he was also forced to miss the Australian Open in February due to testing positive for COVID-19 leading up to the tournament.
Despite his misfortunes, 33-year-old Murray is not giving up on his career yet with the hope that he will once again become a formidable force on the men’s Tour. His resume currently features 46 ATP titles and 41 weeks as world No.1.
“Before Australia, like in December I was chatting to my team about the Aussie Open. I was like: ‘I really feel like I can still go deep in that tournament.’ Murray said during an interview with Amazon Prime.
“I was starting to believe it, visualise it and stuff – which hadn’t been the case last year or anything.
“So, my expectation is to go and do well in these events. Winning it right now is probably a bit ambitious, but I do feel like I can compete with the top, top players in the world.
“Then hopefully in a few months time if I’m able to remain on the court and healthy, with more matches and stuff, it’ll start to happen more regularly.”
One Murray’s goals is to peak in time for the Wimbledon Championships which he has won on two previous occasions. He hasn’t played a singles match at the grass-court major since reaching the quarter-finals back in 2017. Overall, he has won 57 out of 67 matches played at Wimbledon.
“I want to be on the courts at Wimbledon and feeling like I have a chance of winning the event,” he stated.
“I’m aware that that would be extremely tough, but I do genuinely believe it’s possible.
“I need weeks and months of training and practsising and matches and good health. But I do feel like it’s possible.
“I’m sure some people will think I’m delusional and that my best days are behind me and everything – which may be the case. But I still feel I can compete with the best players in the biggest tournaments.”
The Brit has experienced a mixed start to 2021 on the Tour. In February he reached the final of a Challenger tournament in Italy before losing to Illya Marchenko. He then returned to the ATP Tour by playing in Marseille but lost in the first round to Egor Gerasimov. At his most recent tournament in Rotterdam he defeated Robin Haase before losing in straight sets to Andrey Rublev.
Murray’s next challenge will be at the Miami Open which has received a wild card to play in the main draw. He is a two-time champion in Miami and also reached the final of two other occasions. He hasn’t progressed beyond the third round of a Masters 1000 event since 2016 but former player Greg Rusedski says he shouldn’t be written off.
“Andy is the most competitive guy you’ll ever see in your life. You don’t win three majors and get to number one and everything he’s accomplished without that massive belief and massive drive,” Rusedski told Sky Sports.
“Miami’s one of his favourite places to play. If he gets a good draw, there’s a real possibility of him having a good run. For me, the question mark is always his movement to his forehand side.
“You can never discount great champions and it would be great to see him playing well again. You shoot for the stars and maybe you get to the moon.”
Murray will open his Miami Open campaign against Lloyd Harris who recently reached the final of the Dubai Tennis Championships. The winner will then play Roberto Bautista Agut.
Wimbledon Provide Update On 2021 Championships As The Return Of The Queue Is Delayed
Wimbledon has revealed an update on this year’s tournament as COVID-19 continues to present its challenges.
Wimbledon has provided a tournament update ahead of the Championships in 2021 with the return of the Queue being delayed until 2022.
It has been a tough time if you are a tennis tournament in the current climate with COVID-19 presenting multiple challenges and obstacles in order to hold a successful event.
Wimbledon is no exception to this as last year’s edition was postponed due to the pandemic due to the UK’s high amount of COVID cases and deaths.
However the UK’s rapid rollout of the vaccine has provided some optimism ahead of the 2021 edition with Wimbledon expected to take place this year.
Ahead of this year’s Championships, Wimbledon provided an update on the status of the tournament taking place this year.
Firstly, the idea of spectators was addressed in the statement with UK’s COVID restrictions set to be released a week before the tournament starts.
Despite this Wimbledon has still approached this idea with caution, “Our aspiration remains to stage the best Championships possible in the context of the public health situation this summer, with the health and safety of our guests, staff, competitors, and community remaining our highest priority,” Wimbledon stated.
“Based on these conversations, and taking on board the guidance provided by the Sports Ground Safety Authority, as well as transport and food and drink guidance, at this point in time, the most likely outcome for this year’s Championships, as an outdoor venue, is a reduced number of spectators within the Grounds.
“However, we are taking every step to remain as flexible as possible to ensure we are able to react to changing circumstances that may allow an increase or require a decrease in attendance, both ahead of and during the Wimbledon Fortnight.”
This shows the challenges that COVID-19 presents even with a successful vaccination programme, Wimbledon still feels cautious to present a full capacity as of now.
The next thing to be addressed was those who won tickets in the 2020 ticket ballot and the idea of being compensated for this year’s event.
However the tournament announced that those who won tickets in that ballot will be rewarded with tickets in the 2022 edition instead, “As a result, rather than risk ongoing uncertainty and disappointment this year, we intend to give everyone who was successful in the Wimbledon Public Ballot, and paid for their tickets in 2020, the opportunity to purchase tickets to The Championships 2022 for the same day and court, subject of course to the regulations and guidance prevailing at the relevant time.”
They also revealed that instead of a ballot, there will be an online ticket service to buy tickets for spectators that wish to go to the event.
The next thing mentioned was the Queue’s return being delayed until 2022 as social distancing guidelines are expected to continue, “In addition, given the likelihood of continued social distancing requirements and with consideration for the health and safety of all the public, there will not be a Queue or Ticket Resale in operation for this year’s Championships,” the tournament said on their website.
“In the absence of the Queue, the Wimbledon Public Ballot and the LTA Ballot this year, tickets for the public to attend The Championships 2021 will be made available online and we anticipate this will begin in June.”
Lastly, Wimbledon stated that their will be a series of infection control measures with players expected to stay at official player hotels rather than the traditional houses in Wimbledon village.
In a statement on the website AELTC chairman Ian Hewitt remained optimistic about this year’s event, “We remain committed to delivering on our aspiration of staging the best Championships possible,” Hewitt said.
“In line with the UK Government’s Roadmap, we are cautiously optimistic that The Championships will play an exciting role as the country begins to embrace a return towards normality. We remain humbled and heartened by the passion for Wimbledon shown by our fans around the world, and we so look forward to seeing the world’s best tennis players setting foot on our courts once again.”
Wimbledon is due to start on the 28th of June and finish on the 11th of July.
Lorenzo Sonego and Andrea Vavassori claim the doubles title in Cagliari
Pablo Carreno sets up all-Spanish final against Jaume Munar in Marbella
Lorenzo Sonego reaches his third career final in Cagliari
Halle tournament to be held behind closed doors
Ons Jabeur Acknowledges Mental Toughness Ahead Of Charleston Semi-Finals
Model Claims She Was Offered 60,000 Euros To Set Up Novak Djokovic
Furious Vasek Pospisil Blames Miami Open Meltdown On Heated Meeting With ATP
Updated Entry Lists For Marbella, Cagliari
‘He’s Got To Be Clever’ – Roger Federer Urges Del Potro To Make Cautious Return To Tennis
REPORT: Rafael Nadal To Play Exhibition At Real Madrid’s New Bernabéu
Steve Flink: “Jannik Sinner Will Be a Top 10 Player by the US Open”
(VIDEO) Miami Open Final Preview: Jannik Sinner Is The Favourite But Don’t Underestimate Hurkacz
Steve Flink: “Naomi Osaka Will Win At Least A Dozen Slams”
Steve Flink: “Djokovic and Nadal will end up with more Slams than Federer”
Steve Flink: “Why would Djokovic fake an injury when he’s two sets up?”
Latest news2 days ago
Lorenzo Musetti saves four match points to beat Daniel Evans in a dramatic tie-break in Cagliari
Latest news3 days ago
‘It Came Back Quite Naturally’ – Ash Barty Returns To The Charleston Clay In Clinical Fashion
Latest news2 days ago
Lorenzo Musetti receives a wild-card to play in the main draw in Monte-Carlo
Latest news3 days ago
EXCLUSIVE: Leylah Fernandez On Why She Isn’t Fully Satisfied With Her Season So Far
Focus2 days ago
Felix Auger Aliassime adds Toni Nadal to his coaching team
Focus2 days ago
Danka Kovinic Upsets Petra Kvitova In Charleston
Latest news1 day ago
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are drawn in opposite halves at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters
Latest news2 days ago
Carlos Alcaraz comes back from one set down to beat Feliciano Lopez in Marbella