Fabio Fognini Threatens To Sue ATP Over Barcelona Disqualification - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Fabio Fognini Threatens To Sue ATP Over Barcelona Disqualification

The world No.28 has accused officials of ‘tarnishing his image’ over an incident he says he never committed.

Avatar

Published

on

Italian tennis player Fabio Fognini has demanded an apology from the governing body of men’s tennis over an incident he claims has damaged his reputation in the sport.

 

The former world No.9 was defaulted from his match at the Barcelona open last week for alleged unsportsmanlike conduct. Fognini was taking on Spanish qualifier Bernabe Zapata Miralles in the second round. Trailing the match 0-6, 4-4, he is said to have lost his temper and was verbally abusive towards a lines official over a lines call. Prompting the umpire to default him for the first time in his career.

Speaking to reporters afterwards, the world No.28 described the situation as ‘Inexplicable’ and said he was punished for something he didn’t do. Something he has stressed once again during an interview with newspaper Corriere della Sera.

“I did not insult the line judge in the match against Zapata Miralles. I was frustrated, angry: I was talking to myself. I swear by my children, my dearest thing in the world,” he said.
“I’m almost 34 years old, I’ve been playing professionally for twenty (years), if I say that I have not insulted anyone they must believe me.”

He has since appealed against a fine of 5000 euros which was issued to him by the tournament. The former French Open quarter-finalist was also docked ranking points.

Fognini says he is prepared to launch legal proceedings against the ATP should his own appeal fail to work. Arguing the incident has had a negative impact on his image to his sponsors and therefore he would be seeking compensation for damages caused to him.

“Money and points don’t interest me. What happened has tarnished my image, making me look like a chocolatier with my sponsors,” he stated.
“I want an apology for the huge mistake. If my appeal is rejected I will put everything in the hands of the lawyer and ask the ATP for compensation for very serious damage to (my) image.’
“I’ve always admitted bullshit, but this time I’m right and I’m going straight to the goal.”

Fognini has won nine ATP titles so far in his career and has earned more than $15.5M in prize money.

The has been no comment from the ATP regarding Fognini’s disqualification.

ATP

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up blockbuster third round match against Matteo Berrettini in Rome

Avatar

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas edged past Marin Cilic 7-5 6-2 to advance to third round at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. 

 

Tsitsipas has improved his win-loss record to 28-7 this season, equalling Andrey Rublev for most match wins after Rublev beat Jan-Lennard Struff 6-7 (7-9) 6-1 6-4 earlier today. 

Tsitsipas had to save two break points in the ninth game to hold serve after four deuces. The 2021 Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters winner earned his crucial break in the 12th game to win a hard-fought first set 7-5. 

Tsitsipas was in control of the match and cruised to a 6-2 win in the second set with two breaks in the second and eighth games. 

“Sometimes I need to adjust my game and Marin is someone I respect a lot. I knew he was going to come out here and play his best tennis. He made move a lot. It was quite tricky to adjust to that at the beginning, but towards the very end of the first set I stayed calm and stayed calm and resilient. I had to play deep on the returns and find solutions from the baseline rallies. That worked well for me from 6-5”, said Tsitsipas. 

Tsitsipas set up a blockbuster third round match against last week’s Madrid Mutua Open finalist Matteo Berrettini, who beat John Millman 6-4 6-2 in front of fans, who will return on Thursday. Tsitsipas enjoyed the atmosphere on the Pietrangeli Stadium. 

“The Pietrangeli Stadium is very beautiful. It’s one of the best courts on tour. I feel like the Pietrangeli here is great. We are surrounded by trees in the city and it’s very quiet which is very important for tennis. Honestly, I can’t wait for the fans to come and fill in the stadium”, said Tsitsipas. 

Berrettini missed three consecutive break points in the third game of the opening set and earned his first break in the ninth game to take a 5-4 lead. The Rome-native star served out the first set at 15. Berrettini earned two consecutive breaks to race out to 4-0 lead. Millman saved a break point to hold serve in the fifth game, but Berrettini never looked back in his next two service games to claim the second set 6-2. 

Berrettini has improved with his each appearance in the Rome tournament, reaching the second round in 2018, the third round in 2019 and the quarter final in 2020. 

Tsitsipas beat Berrettini in their only head-to-head match at the 2019 Australian Open. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Zverev eases past Hugo Dellien to set up a third round match clash against Kei Nishikori in Rome

Avatar

Published

on

This year’s Madrid Mutua Open champion Alexander Zverev cruised past qualifier Hugo Dellien 6-2 6-2 on Nicola Pietrangeli Court to move into the third round at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. 

 

Zverev fired 27 winners and fended off all six of the break points he faced. The German won five consecutive games from 0-1 down with a double break to race out to a 5-1 lead and served out the opening set at 15 in the eighth game. 

Zverev went up a break in the third game to take a 2-1, but he had to save six break points in a 12-game fourth game. Zverev managed to hold serve after seven deuces before breaking serve in the fifth game to open up a 4-1 lead. The German served out the win on on his second match point in the eighth game. 

The  German star will face Kei Nishikori for the second time in two weeks. He beat Nishikori, Dan Evans, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem and Matteo Berrettini last week at the Madrid Mutua Open en route to the fourth ATP Masters 1000 title of his career after claiming three previous trophies in Rome and Canada in 2017 and Madrid in 2018.  

Federico Delbonis didn’t face a break point and converted four of his nine break points in his 6-2 6-1 win over David Goffin. The Argentine player will take on Felix Auger Aliassime, who cruised past last year’s Rome finalist Diego Schwartzman 6-1 6-3. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Aslan Karatsev beats Danil Medvedev in all-Russian clash in Rome

Avatar

Published

on

Aslan Karatsev beat his compatriot Danil Medvedev 6-2 6-4 after 1 hour and 18 minutes in an all-Russian match to move into the third round at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia at the Foro Italico in Rome. Karatsev has scored his fifth career win against top 10 opponents.

 

Karatsev has improved his win-loss record to 21-6 in his 27 matches this year, including the ATP 500 title in Dubai, the semifinal at the Australian Open and the final at the Serbian Open in Belgrade. 

Karatsev has scored his second top 5 win in the past month after taking an upset win over world number 1 Novak Djokovic in the semifinal in Belgrade. 

Karatsev earned a double break in the fifth and seventh games to open up a 5-2 lead. The 27-year-old Russian player earned another break in the seventh game with a volley to take a 4-3 lead. He never looked back and served out the win on his first match point in the 10th game. 

Karatsev won 90% of his first serve points and saved just one break point. 

Karatsev faced Medvedev for the first time in his career on the ATP Tour. They teamed up with Andrey Rublev at the ATP Cup in Melbourne last winter helping Russia win the final against Italy. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending