Alexander Bublik Impressed By Super Human Sinner - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Alexander Bublik Impressed By Super Human Sinner

The Kazakh was full of praise after playing the 19-year-old in Miami.

Avatar

Published

on

Jannik Sinner has a level of mental toughness that not many other players his age has, according to one of his rivals on the Tour.

 

Alexander Bublik has paid tribute to the Italian following their meeting in the quarter-finals of the Miami Open on Wednesday which Sinner won 7-6(5), 6-4. The clash saw the world No.31 battle back from a break down in each set, as well as recovering from a 3-5 deficit in the tiebreaker. It was the second time the two have played each other this season after Dubai.

After Sinner closed the match out, Bublik started his praise instantly. Greeting each other at the net, the Kazakh commented ‘you are not a human being, you are 15 years old and you play like that.’ Prompting a smile on Sinner’s face.

“It’s very surprising that the guy at his age has this mental toughness that many, many other players don’t have,” Bublik said during his press conference.
“I called him a robot couple of times during the match, but I do it in a very sincere way because he’s really, really a great player.”

https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/1377367245035278336

Sinner is currently the youngest player in the ATP top 100 at the age of 19. He has already won two ATP 250 titles in Sofia last year and Melbourne in January. At the 2020 French Open he became the first male player to reach the quarter-finals of his debut since Rafael Nadal back in 2005.

“He’s mentally strong, he’s physically strong. I mean, he’s a great player,” Bublik commented.
“He’s what, 19 years old, and he’s making this impact on the tour. He doesn’t really like fall. You see some youngsters, they come up and they lose some matches 2 and 2. I said to his coach Jannik is built differently.”

Following his latest victory, the 19-year-old has reached his first ever Masters 1000 semi-final in what is only his fourth appearance. To put that into perspective only seven other teenagers have reached the last four of the Miami Open in its 36-year history. Of which five of them went on to become world No.1 at some point in their careers.

Whilst he is on the right trajectory to rise to the top of men’s tennis, Sinner insists that he still has a lot to improve over the coming years. An approach he has used ever since working with Riccardo Piatti as a teenager.

“I still have to improve everything,” he stated. “Some matches you play good; some matches you maybe make some mistakes. For me, the most important thing is to stay there every point, trying your best every match and every practice session.’
“Still at 19 I can only improve. For sure, maybe next year I’m another player and one year after I’m another player once more. So I’m going to change for sure something.”

Sinner will play Roberto Bautista Agut in the semi-finals on Saturday. If he wins, he will become the first Italian in history to reach the final in Miami.

ATP

Nikoloz Basilashvili survives scare in Sardinia

The third day of the Italian 250 event saw a trio of seeded players secure their places in the quarter-finals.

Avatar

Published

on

A strong Mediterranean wind was not enough to blow away Nikoloz Basilashvili at the Sardegna Open as he came through a tense 3-setter against Slovakian qualifier Jozef Kovalik.

 

The fourth seed’s typically aggressive style at times threatened to prove his undoing in Cagliari. A topsy-turvy encounter in blustery conditions was ultimately defined by the marathon tenth game in the deciding set, Kovalik missing five match points as his opponent’s serve just about held firm. Basilashvili then immediately broke himself, going on to complete a 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, victory.

He will take on Jan-Lennard Struff in the quarter-finals. The fifth seed overpowered Britain’s Liam Broady 6-4 6-2, a much-improved performance from the German after his nervy first-round slugfest with Joao Sousa.

Qualifier Broady, whose strong start to the year has seen him reach a career-high ranking of 152, started well. He broke the fifth seed in the second game, but Struff was able to respond immediately before going on to take the first set 6-4. The Brit faded in the second set, Struff’s superior ranking showing as he overpowered his opponent with some brutal forehands and booming serves. If both men bring their best form, his match-up with Basilashvili on Friday should be an entertaining encounter.

https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/1379725700949770242

Elsewhere, Aljaz Bedene defeated Egor Gerasimov 6-4, 7-6(5). Fresh from an impressive win over Guido Pella in round one, qualifier Gerasimov would have had high hopes to progress further, facing an opponent ranked only 22 places higher. It looked good for the Belarussian as he edged a break ahead early on, but the ever-reliable Bedene reeled off three games in a row to take the first set. A similarly tight second set looked to be going Gerasimov’s way when he stormed to a 4-0 lead in the tie break, but Bedene once again took charge, winning 7 of the next 8 points to book a spot in the next round.

His opponent there will be second seed Taylor Fritz, who enjoyed a relatively easy ride in the final match of the day. He breezed through the opening set against Andrej Martin 6-2, looking strong in his first outing on clay in 2021. The players traded two breaks each in the second set before Fritz took the tie break 7-4. This week is the first tournament Fritz is playing as American No.1 after recently overtaking John Isner.

https://twitter.com/TennisTV/status/1379857536912924675

Continue Reading

ATP

Roger Federer Set To Start Clay Campaign In Madrid

The world No.7 will be back on the Tour shortly as he seeks his first title since the 2019 Swiss Indoors.

Avatar

Published

on

20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer is set to return to competitive tennis later this month after being included in the entry list for a key Masters 1000 tournament.

 

The former world No.1 is currently down to play the Madrid Open which will start on April 30th and takes place over 10 days. Federer returned to the Tour at the Dubai Tennis Championships last month in what was his first tournament in over a year due to a knee injury which required two operations. In Dubai he reached the quarter-finals before losing to Nikoloz Basilashvili who went on to win the title.

Since then the Swiss maestro has returned to the practice courts to “work his way back out on tour,” according to his agent Tony Godsick. Federer has already confirmed that he will play on the clay this season but admits that it is because he has little choice. The 39-year-old has already stated that his goal is to be in top shape in time for the grass-court swing which starts after the French Open.

“What comes before the grass courts are the clay courts,” Federer told reporters on March 11th. “So I have no choice but to play on clay if I want to play matches.
“The clay could be good or bad for me. I will only know in practice, but I don’t think it’s going to be bad. I assume I will play some clay.”

It isn’t the first time Federer has started his return to the clay in Madrid. In 2019 he played his first match on the surface in almost three years at the tournament after skipping the clay-court season the two previous years.

Also on the Madrid entry list is Federer’s rivals Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal who both missed the Miami Open. Dominic Thiem is also set to play in the tournament after he recently announced a delay to his return to professional tennis because he isn’t ready to compete yet.

The Madrid Open has been largely dominated by the Big Four (including Andy Murray) for more than a decade. Since 2008 only one player outside of the quartet has won the title which was Alexander Zverev back in 2018. Last year’s edition was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Continue Reading

ATP

Rafael Nadal Will Be Ready For Start Of Clay Season, Says Doctor

A member of Nadal’s team has issued some encouraging news.

Avatar

Published

on

Rafael Nadal (image via twitter.com)

It appears that Rafael Nadal’s recent woes are behind him as he looks to get back on track at next week’s Monte Carlo Masters.

 

The 34-year-old hasn’t played a tournament since his loss to Stefanos Tsitsipas in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open earlier this year. Throughout the first quarter of the season Nadal has been troubled by a back problem which he first picked up in Melbourne. The injury forced him to pull out of both the Rotterdam Open and Miami Masters. Overall, he has played just five matches so far in 2021.

Nadal will be looking to regain momentum on his beloved clay. A surface which he has won 60 ATP titles on, including a record 13 French Open trophies. According to his doctor, Ángel Ruiz-Cotorro, the world No.3 is ‘training well’ at present.

“He is training well, he is training hard. His goal is clay. First is Monte Carlo and his final goal is Roland Garros. It is clear,” Cotorro told RTVE.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion will be seeking his 12th title in Monte Carlo in what is a tournament record. He has won three out of the four past editions with the only exception being Fabio Fognini who won the title in 2019. Last year’s tournament was axed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Looking further on in the calendar, Nadal is expected to play tournaments in Barcelona, Madrid and Rome before the French Open which is set to start in May. Although it is possible that his commitments could change. A member of the French government has also admitted that it is possible that Roland Garros could be delayed for a second year in a row due to the pandemic but no such change has been formally announced.

So far in his career Nadal has won 86 ATP titles and earned more then $123 million in prize money. He is only the fourth player in the Open Era to have won 1000 or more matches on the men’s Tour.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending