Is Novak Djokovic About To Stage A Big U-turn In Tennis? - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Is Novak Djokovic About To Stage A Big U-turn In Tennis?

A rumour circulating about that the 17-time Grand Slam winner is raising questions about the future of his recently founded PTPA.

Avatar

Published

on

It has been reported that Novak Djokovic might be having a change in heart about his future involvement in the ATP Players Council.

 

Simon Briggs from The Telegraph has reported that the former world No.1 along with Canada’s Vasek Pospisil are in the process of applying to rejoin the council ahead of the elections. Less than six months ago Djokovic quit his role as president in order to set up the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA). An independent body that aims to campaign for players to have more say concerning the decision making in the sport.

The formation of the PTPA triggered a divide in the sport with both Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, who are existing members of the council, co-signing a letter urging their peers not to join. Earlier this week at the ATP Finals Nadal questioned the decision to create the association by saying “the idea (of the PTPA) is not different; the approach is completely different.”

If it is proven true that Djokovic is seeking to be elected again, it puts the PTPA into serious doubt. The Serbian has said he hoped that the two bodies can co-exist. Although if he wants to join the council and remain a member of the PTPA, there will be barriers.

“I feel you can’t sit on the council and then the PTPA. It seems like it’s a bit of a contradictory idea. Within the structure and within the council. I’m the first to say it’s not perfect but you have to believe it, you have to give it a chance,” current ATP Council president Kevin Anderson said in October.

According to Briggs, he said it appears that the Djokovic-led Association failed to gain momentum since its launch around the same time as the US Open.

Djokovic’s most recent public comments about the PTPA was last Friday when he said he doesn’t want to split the sport. He also indicated that talks with female players are ongoing which suggest that the association is continuing but it is unclear for how much longer and in what capacity.

“We do not want to have an aggressive approach as has been said. We want players of all levels to be heard and their problems are taken into account, especially since hundreds of Players complain about the current system. We have to see how players can benefit from tennis, to be able to participate more and be able to make a living from that,” the world No.1 said.
I understand that there is criticism because people wonder if this is the right move or if it is a way to divide tennis. But for us it is not like that, our value and our essence is to improve,” he added.

Djokovic is likely to provide clarity on the matter on Wednesday following his match against Daniil Medvedev at the ATP Finals.

ATP

Alexander Zverev Ditches Federer’s TEAM8 Management Firm To Return To His ‘Roots’

Zverev speaks out about his ‘short and long term strategies going forward.’

Avatar

Published

on

German tennis star Alexander Zverev has confirmed his departure from TEAM8 as he set out his coaching plans for the season ahead.

 

The world No.7 posted a statement on Instagram saying that he no longer wants to be represented by the management firm, which was co-founded by Roger Federer and his agent Tony Godsick. Zverev says part of his decision was because he wanted his family to take a greater role once again. Instead, he will be managed by his brother Misha, who is the captain of the German ATP Cup team, as well as Sergei Bubka.

“I have decided to go back to the roots and have my family help me with my coaching, as well as Mischa and Sergei Bubka with my management,” Zverev wrote.
“I want to thank TEAM8 for the great work and tremendous experience, but we both feel that it’s the right decision to have my family take on a bigger role once again.”

Zverev’s announcement comes less than two weeks after it was confirmed he will no longer be working with David Ferrer. A former world No.3 player who joined his camp last year. Ferrer confirmed that the ending of their partnership was on mutual terms and there was no conflict between the two. The Spaniard said his role as tournament director of the Barcelona Open and family commitments contributed towards his decision.

Last year the 23-year-old broke new territory in his career by reaching the final of the US Open which he lost in five sets to Dominic Thiem. Zverev also won two ATP titles in Cologne. However, his on-court success was overshadowed by events in his personal life. He has been accused of mental and physical abuse by his former girlfriend Olga Sharypova, which Zverev has denied. Meanwhile, it was revealed that another former partner of his is pregnant with his child.

Heading into the Australian Open, Zverev is likely to face more scrutiny over the domestic abuse allegations after it was confirmed that a new account from Sharypova will be published in the coming weeks. New York Times journalist and freelance writer Ben Rothenberg confirmed that a second interview will be released before the start of the Melbourne major. It is unknown as to what the interview will entail but there has been a prior reference to one ‘incident’ in China.

Zverev’s Instagram statement in full

“What a year 2020 has been, for the whole world and for myself. I reached my first Grand Slam final without my parents and brother being court-side due to them contracting COVID-19. An almost 2 year long legal dispute with my former agent finally came to a successful resolution, so I have spent a lot of time thinking about my short and long term strategies going forward. For this reason and because of the ongoing worldwide restrictions, I have decided to go back to the roots and have my family help me with my coaching, as well as Mischa and Sergei Bubka with my management. I want to thank TEAM8 for the great work and tremendous experience, but we both feel that it’s the right decision to have my family take on a bigger role once again.”

Continue Reading

ATP

Hubert Hurkacz Aims To Build On Delray Beach Triumph

The best way to start the season for the world No.35.

Avatar

Published

on

Hubert Hurkacz (image via https://twitter.com/DelrayBeachOpen)

Poland’s Herbert Hurkacz says he hopes to play at an even higher level over the coming weeks after winning the Delray Beach Open title on Wednesday.

 

The world No.35 eased to a 6-3, 6-3, win over Sebastian Korda in the final to claim only the second title in his career after Winston Salem back in 2018. Hurkacz, who was the fourth seed in the tournament, didn’t drop a set all week en route to becoming the first Polish player in history to win the title. In the final he won 68% of his service points and broke Korda four times overall.

“It feels great. It is great to win the title and I am so happy about that. This Is a great start to the season,” Hurkacz said afterwards.
“I am happy that I am improving and we (my team) are doing good stuff with C.B (coach Craig Boynton), and things are working. So I am really pleased with this result.”

The 23-year-old is hoping to improve on what was a challenging 2020 season for him. After reaching the semi-finals of the Auckland Open in January last year, he could only win back-to-back matches in two out of his next 12 tournaments prior to Delray Beach. His best Grand Slam result was reaching the third round of the 2019 Wimbledon Championships.

Seeking to break new territory in 2021, Hurkacz will today start his 24-hour journey to Australia which begins with a 5am departure from America this morning. His coach Craig Boynton also currently worked with Steve Johnson and previously mentored Jim Courier.

“It’s the beginning of the season and I still need to work on a couple of things, but I hope I can play even better in Australia,” Hurkacz stated.

Hurkacz is only the second Polish player to have won an ATP Tour title in the Open Era after Wojciech Fibak. At present he is the only player from his country ranked inside the top 100 on the Tour.

Continue Reading

ATP

Cristian Garin Out Of Australian Open Following Fall

The South American tennis star will not travel to Melbourne due to both injury and the travel restrictions implemented.

Avatar

Published

on

Chile’s Cristian Garin has become the third top 30 player to pull out of the men’s draw at next month’s Australian Open.

 

The world No.22 has confirmed that he will not be travelling to the Grand Slam after suffering a fall in which he hurt his wrist a week ago. Announcing his decision on Instagram, Garin said the limitations in place at the tournament which wouldn’t allow him to travel with his physio played a factor. This year’s Australian Open is taking place amid strict COVID-19 rules which requires players to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival and limits the number of team members they can bring. The majority of players will be spending their quarantine in Melbourne but the top names will be in Adelaide following a recent deal secured by Tennis Australia.

I am very sad to report that a week ago I suffered a fall, which left me with a lot of pain in my left wrist (sprain),” Garin wrote on his Instagram story. “It has been very difficult for me to play the last days and given the restrictions of the tour, they do not allow me to travel with my physiotherapist, which makes it impossible to find a good recovery. Unfortunately I will not be able to play this year in Australia, which is something very difficult for me to accept. I hope to return in good condition and with the best energy for the tour in South America.”

photo via – https://www.instagram.com/garincris/

Garin kicked-off his season on Saturday at the Delray Beach Open where he was the top seed. However, he lost his opening match in straight sets to Christian Harrison who went on to reach the semi-finals. It is only the second tournament he has played since the French Open in October.

The setback comes after the 24-year-old confirmed that he has started working with Franco Davin back in November. A tennis coach known best for his work with Juan Martin del Potro. Davin has also previously worked with Grigor Dimitrov and Kyle Edmund.

The withdrawal of Garin follows that of Roger Federer and John Isner. Former champion Federer has pulled out due to his ongoing recovery from a right knee injury. Although one Australian Open official believes his decision was due to another factor. Meanwhile, Isner has opted not to travel to Australia because he didn’t want to spend an extended time away from his family.

The Australian Open will start on February 8th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending