Daniil Medvedev Dismantles Djokovic To Seal Place In Last Four At ATP Finals - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Daniil Medvedev Dismantles Djokovic To Seal Place In Last Four At ATP Finals

Russia’s top player has dealt a blow to Djokovic’s bid to win a record-equalling sixth title at the end-of-year showdown.

Avatar

Published

on

Former US Open runner-up Daniil Medvedev has booked his place in the semi-finals of the ATP Finals with a match in hand after toppling world No.1 Novak Djokovic. 

 

The fourth seed produced an emphatic performance which at one stage saw him win six consecutive games during his 6-3, 6-3, victory at The O2. Neither player was playing poorly but the problem for Djokovic was Medvedev’s ability to apply pressure throughout the match. Triggering 24 errors from the five-time champion who is renowned for his mental game. In contrast, a power-hitting Medvedev fired 19 winners and saved the only break point he faced.

“I was serving good and playing safe enough during the most important moments. That’s why I got the win,” said Medvedev.
“To be honest, I don’t think he (Djokovic) played his best today. I always say the Big Three are the champions because this happens less to them compared to other players.’
“It is still tough to beat them on their bad days. I’m really happy with my win and I’m feeling confident right now.”

From the start both players engaged in some pulsating rallies during what was a high-quality opening set. Medvedev’s emphatic baseline play was matched by Djokovic and his ability to produce some impressive volleying at the net. The encounter was one of fine margins but it was world No.4 Medvedev who had the slight edge. After seeing four break points come and go the Russian secured a breakthrough at 3-3. Battling through during a marathon 11-minute game he managed to break Djokovic after the world No.1 failed to return a ball. The development rattled the Serbian who started to produce errors on a more frequent basis. Highlighted by a failed drop shot followed by a Djokovic double fault which sealed the opening set for Medvedev two games after the opening set.

The relentless play from Medvedev continued to reek in the benefits for him as he wore down and frustrated the 17-time Grand Slam champion. During the early stages of the second frame a forehand error from Djokovic enabled him to break for a set and 2-0 lead. That sole break proved decisive to the match outcome as he raced towards the finish line without facing any major scares behind his serve. After just 82 minutes of play, he closed the match out on his first opportunity with a forehand winner at the net.

“I always like playing Novak,” said Medvedev. “He is one of the greatest champions in the history of our sport. When I was eight I was already watching him on TV winning Grand Slams and he was still young. It was a dream come true to play against him.’
“He was the first (member) of the Big Three that I played. There are always amazing memories against him.”

Medvedev is playing at the season-ending championships for the second time in his career after losing all three of his round-robin matches in 2019. Against Djokovic, he has now won three out of their four most recent meetings dating back to the Monte Carlo Masters last year.

Medvedev will play Diego Schwartzman in his final group match on Friday. Meanwhile, Djokovic will face Alexander Zverev with the winner of that match booking their place in the last four.

ATP

Alexander Zverev Ditches Federer’s TEAM8 Management Firm To Return To His ‘Roots’

Zverev speaks out about his ‘short and long term strategies going forward.’

Avatar

Published

on

German tennis star Alexander Zverev has confirmed his departure from TEAM8 as he set out his coaching plans for the season ahead.

 

The world No.7 posted a statement on Instagram saying that he no longer wants to be represented by the management firm, which was co-founded by Roger Federer and his agent Tony Godsick. Zverev says part of his decision was because he wanted his family to take a greater role once again. Instead, he will be managed by his brother Misha, who is the captain of the German ATP Cup team, as well as Sergei Bubka.

“I have decided to go back to the roots and have my family help me with my coaching, as well as Mischa and Sergei Bubka with my management,” Zverev wrote.
“I want to thank TEAM8 for the great work and tremendous experience, but we both feel that it’s the right decision to have my family take on a bigger role once again.”

Zverev’s announcement comes less than two weeks after it was confirmed he will no longer be working with David Ferrer. A former world No.3 player who joined his camp last year. Ferrer confirmed that the ending of their partnership was on mutual terms and there was no conflict between the two. The Spaniard said his role as tournament director of the Barcelona Open and family commitments contributed towards his decision.

Last year the 23-year-old broke new territory in his career by reaching the final of the US Open which he lost in five sets to Dominic Thiem. Zverev also won two ATP titles in Cologne. However, his on-court success was overshadowed by events in his personal life. He has been accused of mental and physical abuse by his former girlfriend Olga Sharypova, which Zverev has denied. Meanwhile, it was revealed that another former partner of his is pregnant with his child.

Heading into the Australian Open, Zverev is likely to face more scrutiny over the domestic abuse allegations after it was confirmed that a new account from Sharypova will be published in the coming weeks. New York Times journalist and freelance writer Ben Rothenberg confirmed that a second interview will be released before the start of the Melbourne major. It is unknown as to what the interview will entail but there has been a prior reference to one ‘incident’ in China.

Zverev’s Instagram statement in full

“What a year 2020 has been, for the whole world and for myself. I reached my first Grand Slam final without my parents and brother being court-side due to them contracting COVID-19. An almost 2 year long legal dispute with my former agent finally came to a successful resolution, so I have spent a lot of time thinking about my short and long term strategies going forward. For this reason and because of the ongoing worldwide restrictions, I have decided to go back to the roots and have my family help me with my coaching, as well as Mischa and Sergei Bubka with my management. I want to thank TEAM8 for the great work and tremendous experience, but we both feel that it’s the right decision to have my family take on a bigger role once again.”

Continue Reading

ATP

Hubert Hurkacz Aims To Build On Delray Beach Triumph

The best way to start the season for the world No.35.

Avatar

Published

on

Hubert Hurkacz (image via https://twitter.com/DelrayBeachOpen)

Poland’s Herbert Hurkacz says he hopes to play at an even higher level over the coming weeks after winning the Delray Beach Open title on Wednesday.

 

The world No.35 eased to a 6-3, 6-3, win over Sebastian Korda in the final to claim only the second title in his career after Winston Salem back in 2018. Hurkacz, who was the fourth seed in the tournament, didn’t drop a set all week en route to becoming the first Polish player in history to win the title. In the final he won 68% of his service points and broke Korda four times overall.

“It feels great. It is great to win the title and I am so happy about that. This Is a great start to the season,” Hurkacz said afterwards.
“I am happy that I am improving and we (my team) are doing good stuff with C.B (coach Craig Boynton), and things are working. So I am really pleased with this result.”

The 23-year-old is hoping to improve on what was a challenging 2020 season for him. After reaching the semi-finals of the Auckland Open in January last year, he could only win back-to-back matches in two out of his next 12 tournaments prior to Delray Beach. His best Grand Slam result was reaching the third round of the 2019 Wimbledon Championships.

Seeking to break new territory in 2021, Hurkacz will today start his 24-hour journey to Australia which begins with a 5am departure from America this morning. His coach Craig Boynton also currently worked with Steve Johnson and previously mentored Jim Courier.

“It’s the beginning of the season and I still need to work on a couple of things, but I hope I can play even better in Australia,” Hurkacz stated.

Hurkacz is only the second Polish player to have won an ATP Tour title in the Open Era after Wojciech Fibak. At present he is the only player from his country ranked inside the top 100 on the Tour.

Continue Reading

ATP

Cristian Garin Out Of Australian Open Following Fall

The South American tennis star will not travel to Melbourne due to both injury and the travel restrictions implemented.

Avatar

Published

on

Chile’s Cristian Garin has become the third top 30 player to pull out of the men’s draw at next month’s Australian Open.

 

The world No.22 has confirmed that he will not be travelling to the Grand Slam after suffering a fall in which he hurt his wrist a week ago. Announcing his decision on Instagram, Garin said the limitations in place at the tournament which wouldn’t allow him to travel with his physio played a factor. This year’s Australian Open is taking place amid strict COVID-19 rules which requires players to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival and limits the number of team members they can bring. The majority of players will be spending their quarantine in Melbourne but the top names will be in Adelaide following a recent deal secured by Tennis Australia.

I am very sad to report that a week ago I suffered a fall, which left me with a lot of pain in my left wrist (sprain),” Garin wrote on his Instagram story. “It has been very difficult for me to play the last days and given the restrictions of the tour, they do not allow me to travel with my physiotherapist, which makes it impossible to find a good recovery. Unfortunately I will not be able to play this year in Australia, which is something very difficult for me to accept. I hope to return in good condition and with the best energy for the tour in South America.”

photo via – https://www.instagram.com/garincris/

Garin kicked-off his season on Saturday at the Delray Beach Open where he was the top seed. However, he lost his opening match in straight sets to Christian Harrison who went on to reach the semi-finals. It is only the second tournament he has played since the French Open in October.

The setback comes after the 24-year-old confirmed that he has started working with Franco Davin back in November. A tennis coach known best for his work with Juan Martin del Potro. Davin has also previously worked with Grigor Dimitrov and Kyle Edmund.

The withdrawal of Garin follows that of Roger Federer and John Isner. Former champion Federer has pulled out due to his ongoing recovery from a right knee injury. Although one Australian Open official believes his decision was due to another factor. Meanwhile, Isner has opted not to travel to Australia because he didn’t want to spend an extended time away from his family.

The Australian Open will start on February 8th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending