‘I’m Where I want To Be’ - Laura Siegemund Fulfils French Open Dream At The Age Of 32 - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

‘I’m Where I want To Be’ – Laura Siegemund Fulfils French Open Dream At The Age Of 32

The world No.66 is proving that it is never too late to achieve your dreams as she reaches her first ever Grand Slam quarter-final.

Avatar

Published

on

Prior to this year’s French Open Laura Siegemund was one of two players who had a record that neither of them wanted.

 

Siegemund and China’s Zheng Saisai were the only active Premier-level champions yet to reach the fourth round of any Grand Slam event. However, for the German world No.66 her previous heartbreaks in the majors has been rectified by what is a dream run at Roland Garros. An event she had only ever won one main draw match at in her career prior to 2020.

After seeing off the likes of Julia Goerges and 13th seed Petra Martic, Siegemund’s latest showdown was against Spain’s Paula Badosa on Monday. A former French Open girls champion who herself was playing in the last 16 of a major for the first time. She prevailed 7-5, 6-2, in just 93-minutes with the help of two aces and 25 winners.

I think I played very up and down at the beginning of the set, I couldn’t kind of find my groove and consistency,” Siegemund reflected.
“I didn’t get angry when things weren’t going my way, where there would have been a lot of reasons to get angry. I had a lot of chances. I had a lot of errors where I was dominating the point but didn’t execute well.’
“I tried to work it out and I did. She gave me some chances at the end of the first set and I took them. Then in the second was a little bit better. I served much better.”

The success of the 32-year-old on the clay is in some way long overdue. Three years ago she headed into Paris in fine form after winning the Stuttgart Open, which remains the biggest title of her career to date. Although a couple weeks after disaster struck when she seriously hurt her knee at another tournament and subsequently missed 10 months of action. Since then, she is yet to reach another WTA Final.

Now breaking new ground in the French capital, Siegemund is relishing that she is able to do so on her favourite surface. Although she has no intention of being complacent with her performance.

“It was always my dream to be in the second week of a slam,” she said.
“It was one big goal for me to make it in singles into the second week of a slam. That’s where I see myself. That’s where I want to be.’
“I’m glad I’m making that come true now.”

En route to the quarter-finals Siegemund defeated a trio of top 50 players but she faces by far her biggest challenge next. Standing in her way is two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova who is in the midst of her best run at the tournament since 2012. The Czech is one of two Grand Slam winners to make it to the last 16 along with Sofia Kenin.

“I feel like there’s also more in it for me. I want to take it one step at a time. I’m truly excited to be in the quarters and also still in the zone.” She said.
“Petra is a really tough opponent, no question about it. It will be totally different to all the matches I have played here so far. I also played more against clay court players, more with spin and very tactical. She’s not like that. She serves very well. There are no second chances in rallies with her.”

Siegemund is the oldest player remaining in the women’s draw.

Latest news

Carlos Alcaraz wins his third ATP Challenger title in Alicante

Avatar

Published

on

Spanish teenager Carlos Alcaraz won his third ATP Challenger title of the season at the Juan Carlos Academy in Alicante. The 17-year-old Spanish rising star beat world number 97 and top seed Pedro Martinez 7-6 (8-6) 6-3. 

 

Both players broke twice in the first set en route to the tie-break. Alcaraz saved two set points at 4-6 in the tie-break. The 17-year-old Murcia native player won the final four points of the tie-break and converted his first set point at 7-6 with a backhand down the line in 1 hour and 44 minutes. After a trade of breaks at the start of the second set Alcaraz got another break in the sixth game to claim the second set. Alcaraz has extended his win-loss record to 20-3 since the ATP Challenger tour restarted last August. He also extended his record in tie-breaks to 14-1 and 9-0 in 2020. 

Alcaraz becomes the youngest player in the top 500 in the ATP Ranking. Earlier this year he won two more Challenger tournaments in Trieste and Barcelona. He is now ranked world number 136 and is the only player born in 2003 in the top 500. 

At the age of 17 years and 5 months Alcaraz is the youngest player to lift trophies in consecutive weeks and the second youngest to win three Challenger titles. Only Richard Gasquet was younger than Alcaraz when he clinched his third title in Neaples in 2003. 

Comparing Alcaraz to the current big stars of the ATP Tour, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic claimed two Challenger titles, when they were 17 years old. Only Gasquet did better winning five Challenger titles at Alcaraz’s age. 

Alcaraz joins an elite club of players who have won at least three titles before turning 18 following in the footsteps of Richard Gasquet, Novak Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro and Felix Auger Aliassime. 

Alcaraz opened his 2020 season ranked just inside the top 500 and is now projected to a career-high world number 136. 

Carlos started playing tennis at the age of four thanks to his father. He has been coached by former world number 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero at his Equelite Academy since the age of 15. 

“It feels incredible to win at home in Villena. It was a great match. Pedro is an amazing player and we both played at a high level. It makes me proud to play like this at home and in front of everyone I know. I am very happy and this is motivation to continue fighting for more”, said Alcaraz. 

Alcaraz will play at the Casino Admiral Trophy Marbella this week.  

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Zverev Confident ATP Finals Will Be Safe To Attend

The US Open finalist speaks out about travelling to the British capital during the pandemic.

Avatar

Published

on

Alexander Zverev at the US Open 2020 (photo Twitter @usopen)

Germany’s Alexander Zverev believes the ATP Finals will be one of the safest places to be amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

The world No.7 will head to London next month to play in the season-ending event which features the eight best players in the world of men’s tennis. London has recently been moved from level one to level two on the British Government’s COVID-19 tier system following a rise in cases of the virus towards 100 per 100,000. People from different households are now no longer allowed to mix inside under the new rules. The health secretary, Matt Hancock, recently said that the number of infection cases is doubling every 10 days.

Despite the ongoing pandemic, Zverev says he is confident that the event will be safe to attend. For the first time this year it is taking place behind closed doors in accordance with government rules. In 2019 242,883 fans attended the tournament over an eight-day period.

“We will stay in a hotel next to the stadium, which will be bolted. I think this will be the last place, where people are vulnerable to the coronavirus disease,” Zverev told reporters on Sunday.

US Open runner-up Zverev is hoping for a strong end to what has been a testing season for the sport which was halted for five months due to the pandemic. On Sunday he added to his title collection by defeating Felix Auger-Aliassime in straight sets to win the bett1HULKS Indoors in Cologne. The tournament was also held without fans due to COVID-19 restrictions.

“Although we didn’t have any fans inside the arena, I felt the support from home. I had the feeling playing on home soil and I hope that many fans watched the final on TV,” Zverev commented.
“It is different and more difficult this year, as we played less tournaments than usual. I hope that I can keep it up like this.” He added.

At present six players have already qualified for the ATP Finals. Besides Zverev, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Daniil Medvedev are all set to play. World No.4 Roger Federer has also qualified but will not be playing after deciding to pull the plug on his season due to a knee injury.

The O2 Arena has been home to The ATP Finals since 2009 and has welcomed more than 2.8 million fans to the event over that period. However, the event will be moved to Italy from next year.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Andrey Rublev claims his fourth title of the season in St. Petersburg

Avatar

Published

on

Third seed Andrey Rublev has claimed his sixth career ATP title and his fourth trophy of a highly successful 2020 season in St. Petersburg with a 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 win over Borna Coric in the final after 1 hour and 39 minutes. 

 

Rublev has become the fifth Russian player to win the St. Petersburg title after Yevgeny Kafelnikov (1995), Marat Safin (2000, 2001), Mikhail Youzhny (2004) and Danil Medvedev (2019). 

Rublev is currently ranked eighth in the ATP Race to London and is 249 points ahead of 2020 Rome Masters 1000 Diego Schwartzman, who holds the final qualifying spot. 

Rublev has won four ATP Tour titles in Doha, Adelaide, Hamburg and St. Petersburg and is now level with Novak Djokovic. The 22-year-old Moscow native player has a 34-7 win-loss record in 2020 and is currently second on the ATP Tour list behind Djokovic, who won 37 of his 39 matches this year. 

The first set featured just one break point and went on serve en route to the tie-break. Coric went up a 5-2 lead in the tie-break. Rublev reeled off five consecutive points to win the tie-break 7-5. 

Rublev held serve in the first game of the second set with an ace. Coric got his first game on the scoreboard after a service winner to draw level to 1-1. Rublev hit a forehand down the line winner to hold his serve in the third game. The home player fired a forehand winner in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead and earned a break point in the sixth game with a return winner. Coric fended it off with an ace. Both players served well in the next games to set up a tie-break. 

Coric built up a 5-2 lead in the tie-break, but he made four forehand errors to trail 5-6. Rublev closed out the tie-break 7-5 with a service winner. Rublev went up a set and a break in the fifth game, as Coric netted a backhand, and held on his serve with a service winner. 

Rublev hit an ace to open up a 5-3 lead forcing Coric to serve to stay in the match. Coric held serve at 30 in the ninth game when Rublev netted a forehand. Rublev held serve at 15 to clinch his first title as the top 10 player. 

“Borna was playing really well. In the tie-break I was down 2-5 I was a bit lucky. Today is my day. Borna is one of the players who are famous for their fighting spirit. He beat a lot of players before. It is also important he is a good person”, said Rublev. 

Coric was bidding to lift his first ATP Tour title since Halle 2018. 

“When I go back home, I can train harder. Next year I will come back for sure and hopefully I can win the title”,said Coric. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending