Simona Halep signs up to Ladies Open in Palermo - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Simona Halep signs up to Ladies Open in Palermo

Published

on

Simona Halep has signed up to play at the Ladies Open in Palermo in the first week of August. The former world number 1 and 2019 Wimbledon champion made the announcement in a video message released across the tournament’s social media:

“I am very happy to announce I will be back in Palermo after ten years. I hope to have a great week over there. See you soon”, said Halep.

 Halep has not played on the WTA Tour since her win in the final of the Dubai Premier tournament against Elena Rybakina, who will be also in the line-up in Palermo.

“Halep’s participation is exceptional news. It had been decades since Palermo last hosted a former world number 1 player. Our city is very devoted to world tennis. Her presence is one of great interest for everybody”, said Palermo Ladies Open Tournament Director Oliviero Palma.

The impressive line-up also features five top 20 players: Aryna Sabalenka (world number 11), Petra Martic (15), Elena Rybakina (17), Marketa Vondrousova (18) and Maria Sakkari (20).

“We will have Halep, five players ranked between number 10 and 20 and four ranked between 30 and 40. The cut-off is at world number 69. It’s really incredible. We could call a Premier tournament, although it’s an International level tournament. Camila Giorgi has also accepted a wildcard into the tournament, making her the highest-ranked Italian in the draw, and that there was another spot reserved should another top 10 player wish to enter”, said Palma.

The Palermo Ladies Open will be held with respect of social distancing rules to keep the spread of covid-19 under control.

“We wil follow all the WTA protocols. All players will undergo serological tests. We feel the weight of responsibility. We are optimism but we must be careful and guarantee the safety for everyone. The crowd will have to respect all norms. The tournament is a great opportunity for Palermo, tennis and the entire sport world. This is a starting point ”, continued Palma.   

Palma confirmed that Italian television channel Rai Sport will broadcast two live matches a day and the tournament will be broadcast in 160 countries around the world.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

Hubert Hurkacz Undergoes ‘Knee Procedure’ Ahead of Olympic Bid

Published

on

Poland’s top player on the ATP Tour is not giving up on his dream of winning a medal at the Olympic Games despite recently undergoing a medical procedure.

World No.7 Hubert Hurkacz suffered a knee injury during his second round clash at Wimbledon against France’s Arthur Fils. In the fourth set tiebreak of their clash, Hurkacz dived for a shot but landed badly on his knee and required on-court medical attention. He then played two more points before retiring from the match. 

In a social media post published on Wednesday, the  27-year-old confirmed he underwent a procedure on his knee earlier this week but didn’t provide any further details.  Although Hurkacz has stated his intention to play at the upcoming Olympic Games in Paris, where the tennis event will be held on the clay at Roland Garros. 

“I had a knee procedure this Monday, but I’m feeling better already and my team and are dedicating extensive time each day to the rehab process.” He wrote on Instagram. 

“It’s a dream for every athlete to represent their country at the Olympics, and I want to make sure I am fully fit and ready before making the final decision to step on court. The aim is not only to participate, but to win a medal for my country.”

So far this season Hurkacz has won 34 out of 48 matches played on the Tour. He won the Estoril Open in April and was runner-up to Jannik Sinner in Halle. 

The Olympic tennis event is scheduled to begin a week Saturday on July 27th. Poland is yet to win a medal in the event but expectations are high with women’s No.1 Iga Swiatek also taking part. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Krejcikova Comes Alive With Her Serve To Win 12th Grand Slam Title At Wimbledon

Published

on

image via x.com/wimbledon

It must have seemed like the whole world was against her when Barbora Krejcikova served for the match for a third time against crowd favorite Jasmine Paolini.

But Krejcikova was only going for her 12th Grand Slam title. She was well prepared.

So, she released her patented way-out-wide serve to the smallish Paolini’s backhand, and the best the Italian could do was get her racket on the ball enough to return the serve far off the court, long and wide.

ARMS UP FOR A CHAMPION

The weight of the world was gone as Krejcikova threw her arms over her head and calmly walked to the net to greet the Wimbledon runner-up.

Now, Krejcikova was half-way home to a career Grand Slam in singles. She already owns a career Grand Slam in doubles among her dozen Grand Slam titles that also include one mixed doubles Grand Slam title.

She has won the hard ones, the French Open on clay and Wimbledon on grass.

At 28 years old, anything must look possible to this 5-10 Czech.

KREJCIKOVA COMES THROUGH UNDER PRESSURE

Paolini simply was out played in a second straight Grand Slam final, on clay and on grass. Now she faces the real tests, two straight Grand Slam tournaments on hard surfaces that might not be overly friendly to the 5-4 Paolini.

But there it was, a 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 victory for Krejcikova on Wimbledon’s famed Center Court.

After what might be called a throw-away second set for Krejcikova, she came alive in the third set, pinning Paolini to the deep corners while nailing low hard-hit balls to both corners.

Krejcikova got off to 40-0 starts on her first four service games of the decisive set and ended all four with service winners to take a 5-3 lead (with the aid of the only service break of the third set). She yielded only one point in those four service games, a double fault at 40-0 that was followed by an ace.

Of course, it was the serve again that saved the day for Krejcikova and gave her set points two and three, then sealed the deal for a spot in Wimbledon history.

James Beck was the 2003 winner of the USTA National Media Award  for print media. A 1995 MBA graduate of The Citadel, he can be reached at Jamesbecktennis@gmail.com. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Jasmine Paolini’s Wimbledon Run Hailed By Italian Prime Minister

Published

on

Image via x.com/twitter

The Prime Minister of Italy has praised Jasmine Paolini for lighting up the hearts of others during her Wimbledon run. 

Paolini missed out on her first Grand Slam title to Barbora Krejcikova, who prevailed in three sets to capture her second major trophy. Despite her defeat, she has made history at the tournament by becoming the first female player from her country to reach the final. Until this year, she had never won a Tour-level main draw match on the grass. 

Whilst disappointed about missing out on the biggest title of her career, Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni posted a tribute to Paolini on social media just moments after the final had concluded.

“Proud of Jasmine Paolini,” The Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata (ANSA) quotes Meloni as saying. 

“The first Italian tennis player to reach the final of the prestigious Wimbledon tournament. 

“Despite the defeat, you lit up the hearts of the Italian people, succeeding in conveying grit and passion to all of us who supported you”. 

Paolini is the first player ranked outside the top five to reach the final of both Wimbledon and the French Open within the same year since the ranking system was introduced in 1975. She is also only the fourth female player in the Open Era to have reached her first two Grand Slam finals in the same year at Roland Garros and Wimbledon after Chris Evert (1973), Olga Morozova (1974) and Steffi Graf (1987). 

Should she win three or more matches at the US Open later this year, she will also set a new Open Era record for the most Grand Slam wins achieved by an Italian female player in a single season. 

“The last two months have been crazy for me. I want to thank my team, and my family. They always support me and I wouldn’t be here without them. The crowd have been amazing. I received a lot of support. Just incredible to feel the love from them, I enjoy it so much.” Paolini said following her Wimbledon defeat. 

The 28-year-old will rise to a ranking high of No.3 on Monday. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending