Rising tennis star Alexei Popyrin has become the first player to officially confirm that he will not be playing at next month’s US Open due to health concerns.
The world No.105 made the announcement just days after he voiced fears that he may be forced to play at the Grand Slam against his will due to the ranking points at stake. However, Popryin’s concerns have since been addressed by the ATP, who has adjusted their ranking calculations. Allowing players to choose their best 18 tournaments on the ATP Tour over a 22-month period instead of 12 months.
Speaking to Tennis Majors, the 20-year-old said he felt that it would be a ‘big risk’ to play in New York given the current pandemic. America has recently seen a surge in cases in some parts of the country. A Reuters analysis of data from The COVID Tracking Project has found the number of weekly COVID-19 cases has risen five weeks in a row and there has been rises in 40 different states. New York, which is where the US Open will take place, has now said people living in 19 other states must self-quarantine for 14 days if they want to visit the city.
“I never really wanted to go to play US Open,” Popryin told Tennis Majors. “I think with the situation that’s happening in America right now, it is very hard to go and play the US Open. I think it’s a big risk for everybody to go and play.”
“From who I’ve spoken to some are afraid of the virus, some aren’t. Some think it’s just a hoax, we’ll have to wait and see how many players go.” He added.
The news of Popyrin’s decision comes as some of the Tour’s biggest names are yet to confirm their intention for the tournament. World No.1 Novak Djokovic had previously said he is looking at an option where he could focus solely on the European clay. Although he is still to make a final decision.
“I still don’t know if I will play at the US Open. Washington I’m definitely not playing, Cincinnati is planned. Participation in Roland Garros is safe for now, and Madrid and Rome are also planned,” Kurir newspaper quoted the 17-time Grand Slam champion as saying on Tuesday.
Should Djokovic play the US Open he will have the chance to increase his points tally and therefore tighten his grip on the world No.1 position. Last year he reached the fourth round before retiring during his match due to injury.
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep has said she is ‘worried’ about playing the event. The Romanian has already spoken out about her reservations when it comes to travelling to New York. Besides the COVID-19 threat, another issue facing players in the quarantine rules of various countries.
“The US is going to be difficult. It depends on the restrictions,” Halep told the BBC’s Best of Wimbledon programme. “I have not fully decided yet but I am a little bit worried to make that move. But I’m just waiting to see what is going to be decided and what actually the other players will do.”
The United States Tennis Association has made moves to try and reassure players about the US Open. The tournament will be held behind closed doors for the first time in history and players will be subjected to regular testing. It is understood that a definitive plan concerning the US Open will be made by the end of the month.
At present the Grand Slam is set to start on August 31st.
US Open 2022: Djokovic, Medvedev Early Favorites but Will the Serb Be Allowed to Compete?
Wimbledon was a great success for the World’s No.1 ranked Novak Djokovic, as the Serbian star claimed another Grand Slam title. However, with the grass season officially behind us, tennis enthusiasts are looking towards the US Open.
The Hard Court season is around the corner, and the usual suspects are topping the bookmaker’s odds to win the final Grand Slam of the season – the US Open – which will take place at Flushing Meadows, New York City.
US Open 2022 betting odds & favorites to win it all
To the surprise of nobody, Djokovic is topping the current US Open tennis odds at Caesars sportsbook New York as he looks to finish the Grand Slam season with another success added to his resume.
Daniil Medvedev is the second favorite to win the competition, and Carlos Alcaraz is the third betting favorite. Interestingly, Rafael Nadal – all-time record holder with 22 Grand Slam titles – is currently priced at +660, making him an outsider to the aforementioned players.
Tennis fans eagerly anticipated a meeting between Djokovic and Nadal in the Wimbledon finals, but the Spaniard was forced out of the competition due to an injury. A US Open final meeting between the two most successful ranked tennis stars is undoubtedly a match we’re all craving, but can Nadal prove the sportsbooks wrong and battle his way into another final?
With less than a month until the first round begins, here are the latest available odds to win the US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, taking place between Aug 29 – Sep 11, 2022.
|Players||Odds to win the US Open outright|
|Carlos Alcaraz Garfia||+350|
Despite owning the favorable betting position to win the US Open outright, Djokovic remains unvaccinated. The current regulations state that non-US citizens must be vaccinated to compete in the US, so he’s ineligible to play.
Djokovic hasn’t given up hope
The unvaccinated tennis stand-out was removed from the Australian Open in January, as the government declared he’d disobeyed strict Covid-19 regulations.
The 35-year-old is now facing a similar fate at Flushing Meadows but has insisted on continuing his US Open training camp.
As it currently stands, Djokovic won’t play at the US Open. Still, the Serbian star remains hopeful and recently took to social media with a video clip of himself preparing for the tournament.
‘I am preparing as if I will be allowed to compete while I await to hear if there is any room for me to travel to the US,’ Djokovic wrote on Twitter.
After posting a video of himself preparing, fans showed their support in abundance with the hashtag #LetNovakPlay.
Further support for the Serbian star has continued with a petition on Change.Org. As of Saturday morning, close to 45,000 people had signed the petition requesting the US Tennis Association and the federal government to agree for Djokovic to gain entry into the US.
‘I just wanted to take a moment and say to all of you how grateful I am to see so many messages of support and love from all around the world these days,’ Djokovic wrote to his fans.
‘It feels special that people connect with my tennis career in such a loving and supportive way and wish for me to continue to compete.’
Several US politicians have expressed their opinions on the matter and have insisted that US President Joe Biden ease the rules so that Djokovic can participate at the upcoming Open.
American politicians aren’t the only ones speaking up against Biden’s rules. The Serbia-American Voting Alliance (SAVA) has also written a letter asking the President to reconsider the regulations preventing Djokovic from competing in the United States. It read, “The US Open is the biggest tennis tournament in the world, and it won’t be what it is without Novak Djokovic.
“Considering the economic situation and the crisis at all levels, America must not allow the US Open not to take place in its full glory and capacity, which means the arrival of Novak Djokovic, who has been crowned three times at the US Open, Novak does not pose any security threat, is one of the healthiest people in the world due to his disciplined life and serves as a role model and inspiration to millions around the world.
“It is in America’s interest that the biggest tournament in the world hosts the best player in the world, especially since he just won the seventh Wimbledon in London.”
Should the restriction be removed, Djokovic has the opportunity to level Rafael Nadal for the most Grand Slam titles of all time (22).
McEnroe Labels Novak Djokovic’s Possible US Open Ban As ‘Crazy’
The American tennis great says he ‘respects’ Djokovic’s decision not to get vaccinated against covid-19.
John McEnroe says he is hoping that a solution can be found for Novak Djokovic to play at the US Open later this year.
As it currently stands 21-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic will not be allowed to play in New York due to government rules related to the entry of unvaccinated individuals. To travel to America, visitors are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they qualify for a special exemption. Djokovic has not been jabbed and stated after his Wimbledon triumph that he is not planning to do so.
On Wednesday the United States Tennis Association (USTA) issued their entry lists for the US Open which also included Djokovic in the men’s draw. However, they also posted a statement confirming that they will ‘respect’ the American government’s rules concerning unvaccinated players.
“The US Open does not have a vaccination mandate in place for players, but it will respect the U.S. government’s position regarding travel into the country for unvaccinated non-U.S. citizens,” the USTA said.
Weighing in on the debate, former world No.1 McEnroe described the prospect of Djokovic missing the US Open as ‘crazy’ during an interview with Tennis 365. The Serbian has won four out of the last seven Grand Slam tournaments. He missed this year’s Australian Open following a high-profile legal dispute over the legitimacy of his visa which resulted in his deportation.
“We have to find a way to get Novak into the US Open,” said McEnroe. “How can he not be there? He has just won Wimbledon, he is a great champion and he should be in the US Open.
“I don’t agree with his decision not to get vaccinated, but I respect it. He is one of the fittest guys in the world and everything he puts into his body, he is watching carefully.
“Now we are saying that because of his choice, he can’t play at the US Open. I mean, come on. He has already been deported from Australia for the same reason and here we are again.
“I hope someone finds a way to sort this out. It’s crazy that Novak misses the US Open at this stage.”
Djokovic has won the US Open three times in his career with his most recent triumph occurring in 2018. He also won the title in 2011 and 2015. The 35-year-old was also runner-up at the tournament on six other occasions.
Should he be unsuccessful in trying to enter America, it is unclear when Djokovic will play his next tournament. He has previously hinted that he could feature in the Laver Cup that will take place in September.
US Open: Unvaccinated Novak Djokovic On Entry List But Former Champion Thiem Is Missing
Novak Djokovic has automatically entered himself to play at this year’s US Open even though there is a strong chance that he will not be allowed to participate.
The 21-time Grand Slam champion has been included in the provisional entry list which was published on Wednesday. However, organizers confirmed that they will ‘respect’ the US Government’s rules on the admission of vaccinated individuals into the country. As it currently stands those who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 are not allowed to enter the country unless they qualify for a special exemption.
“The US Open does not have a vaccination mandate in place for players, but it will respect the U.S. government’s position regarding travel into the country for unvaccinated non-U.S. citizens,” the USTA said in a statement.
Djokovic is one of those who are not vaccinated against the virus. Following his win over Nick Kyrgios in the Wimbledon final, the former world No.1 stated that he still has no intention of being jabbed. Even though it could result in his missing a series of key Masters 1000 events across the summer, as well as the US Open. Djokovic has previously said he is cautious about injecting substances into his body due to concerns about how he may react. The COVID-19 vaccination has been deemed safe by the World Health Organization.
“I’m not vaccinated and I’m not planning to get vaccinated so the only good news I can have is them removing the mandated green vaccine card or whatever you call it to enter the United States or exemption,” Djokovic told reporters at Wimbledon. “I don’t know. I don’t think the exemption is realistically possible. If that is a possibility, I don’t know what exemption would be about.”
As Djokovic hopes for a change in the law for him to play, 2020 champion Dominic Thiem will be relying on receiving a wild card for him to participate. The Austrian has decided not to join the entry list with the use of his protected ranking. Thiem was unable to defend his title last year due to a right wrist injury which ended up sidelining him from the Tour for months.
Elsewhere, a trio of former top 20 players are using their protected ranking to join the field. Stan Wawrinka, Borna Coric and Kyle Edmund are all using their passes. Wawrinka and Coric have both started their comeback from injury but Edmund hasn’t played a singles tournament since October 2020. Aljaz Bedene, who is set to retire from the Sport at the end of this season, is also using his protected ranking.
Williams joins the women’s field
In the women’s tournament, Serena Williams has used her protected ranking of 16th to join the field. The American recently played her first tournament for 12 months at Wimbledon where she lost in the first round to France’s Harmony Tan. Williams, who is one major title away from equalling Margaret Court’s record of 24, has also entered herself into other tournaments leading up to the US Open.
Reigning champion Emma Raducanu is 10th on the list and will be hoping to repeat her heroics from last year where as a qualifier she won 10 matches in a row without dropping a set en route to the title. Since then, the Brit hasn’t featured in another Tour final and has been hampered by various physical issues.
Raducanu and Williams are two out of six former US Open champions on the entry list. The others are Naomi Osaka, Angelique Kerber, Sloane Stephens and Bianca Andreescu.
Venus Williams, who last won the tournament back in 2001, isn’t on the list. However, she could enter via wild card if she is given one.
Serena Williams Set For Raducanu Challenge In Cincinnati
ATP Montreal: Ruud Thrashes Auger-Aliassime To Reach Semis, Mixed Results For Brits
Canada Daily Preview: Semifinal Saturday Features Ruud/Hurkacz and Pegula/Halep
Another Defeat For Iga Swiatek – Should Her Fans Start To Worry?
Simona Halep Backs 18-Year-Old Gauff To Win Grand Slam Soon
Greatest Of All Time Honor Between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, Says Robredo
Inspired By Andy Murray, Citi Open Chief Pledges To Donate Funds To Ukrainian Appeal
Andy Murray Targets US Open Seeding After Early Exit From Washington
Daria Kasatkina Opens Up About Her Sexuality As Native Russia Eye Tightening Anti-LGBT Laws
Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Montreal Due To Abdominal Pain
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Elena Rybakina’s Wimbledon Win Was Good But The Level Wasn’t Great
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE): Novak Djokovic Battles Past Norrie, Faces Kyrgios In The Final
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Brad Gilbert Makes A Bold prediction on Sinner, Backs Kyrgios To Trouble Nadal
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Rafael Nadal Doesn’t Care How Much Pain He’s In, He Gets The Job Done
(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) The Wimbledon Clash Between Djokovic And Sinner Could Have Been Better
Hot Topics2 days ago
Daniil Medvedev Aims To Get Back On Track After Kyrgios Defeat
Hot Topics1 day ago
Simona Halep Backs 18-Year-Old Gauff To Win Grand Slam Soon
ATP2 days ago
Rafael Nadal Returns To Cincinnati With Shot At No.1 Ranking
ATP3 days ago
Canada Daily Preview: Two Clashes Between Top 10 Seeds in the Third Round
Latest news2 days ago
Bianca Andreescu Battles Past Alize Cornet In Toronto
ATP2 days ago
Jack Draper Considered Skipping Montreal Masters Before Getting Biggest Win Of Career
Hot Topics2 days ago
The Generation Inspired By Serena Williams
Hot Topics2 days ago
Felix Auger-Aliassime Delights Home Crowd As Top Three Seeds Crash Out Of Montreal