Rafael Nadal Yet To Finalise Plans For 2020, Says Coach - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Rafael Nadal Yet To Finalise Plans For 2020, Says Coach

Carlos Moya has given a fresh update on plans for the return of the world No.2 to competitive tennis later this year.

Avatar

Published

on

Protecting the health of Rafael Nadal will be the ultimate factor when it comes to deciding which tournaments he will play in later this year, according to his coach.

 

Carlos Moya has said he is yet to speak with the 19-time Grand Slam champion about his intentions for when the Tour resumes in August. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all tournaments have been either suspended or cancelled since March. Resulting in what is set to be a packed seven-week calendar on the men’s tour between September and October. Within that period three Master 1000 events, as well as both the US Open and French Open will take place. On top of that, players will also have to factor in adapting from hard to clay court tennis within a small period of time.

“To be honest, we have not yet spoken with Rafa to find out what the definitive schedule will be for when tennis returns. It is true that there are about five very compressed tournaments that are very important and that Nadal would like to play them, but now He is not 20 years old and the situation is no longer the same as before,” Moya told reporters in Palma de Mallorca.

Nadal has a huge amount of points to defend within this period. As the reigning champion at both of the major events, there will be a total of 2000 points at stake for him. On top of that, he also has points to defend from winning the Italian Open last year as well as his run to the semi-finals at the Madrid Open.

Whilst a final decision is still to be made, Moya believes it is possible that the Spaniard could play in all tournaments. Seemingly dismissing one idea that he might miss the US Open to focus on the European clay. This year’s New York tournament is taking place behind closed doors for the first time in history with stern restrictions in place due to COVID-19.

“I am totally sure that Rafa thinks he can play everything and he probably will, but we have to know how to adapt,” Moya commented.
“We all have to sit down in these coming weeks and analyse it accordingly. We have to ask very well what the road map will be, guaranteeing Nadal’s health which is the first thing.”

Nadal’s former coach, Toni Nadal, has previously criticised the ATP over their scheduling of tournaments in such close proximity. Saying it places veteran players such as Nadal and Novak Djokovic at a disadvantage. Meanwhile, former world No.1 Andy Murray has voiced his concerns over the safety of the calendar. Fearing players on the Tour could be a higher than usual risk of injury.

“It is not possible and it’s not safe, in my opinion, to play the final or even the semi-finals or quarter-finals in New York and then you are playing on Tuesday in Madrid at altitude on a clay court when players haven’t played in a long time,” Murray said on Saturday.

Moya has insisted that the bottom line regarding Nadal’s schedule will be his physical and mental health. During the final quarter of the 2019 season the 34-year-old suffered from hand and abdominal injuries.

“We have always prioritized Rafa’s well-being within which he must have some results to more or less choose which tournaments he can play and which ones not on the calendar. As I said before, his physical and mental state is the most important thing at the moment. We are not going to force any kind of situation.” He concluded.

Nadal started the 2020 season by winning 13 out of 16 matches played. In February he won his 85th ATP title after triumphing at the Mexican Open.

ATP

Fabio Fognini Hits Out At ‘Inexplicable’ Disqualification From Barcelona Open

The world No.27 has protested his innocence after losing his temper over a call made by an official.

Avatar

Published

on

Italy’s Fabio Fognini describes the decision to kick him out of the Barcelona Open on Wednesday as a ‘shock’ and has vowed to look further into the matter.

 

The 33-year-old was taking on Spanish qualifier Bernabe Zapata Miralles in the second round of the tournament where he was trailing the match 0-6, 4-4. After losing his temper, the world No.27 is said to have been verbally abusive towards a lines official and was subsequently defaulted from the match for his behaviour. The incident occurred over a line call decision which Fognini didn’t agree with.

On court, he tried to protest his innocence by telling the umpire ‘I didn’t say anything’ but it failed to overturn the decision. Leaving Fognini fuming as he broke his racket on purpose.

Speaking to reporters afterwards, the Italian continued to protest his innocence in the match and said he would ‘investigate’ the matter. It is unclear what he is referring to but players are allowed to make an appeal against any fine if they feel it is unjust.

“I’m really surprised with the ATP, especially the chair umpire and the supervisor, because I was here to play tennis, I was here to fight in the match, and even if I was losing, doesn’t matter,” he said. “But what they did to me was something inexplicable, so I’m going to investigate it, but nothing more, I paid for something that I didn’t do, that’s the first and clearest thing that everybody has to know.”

Zapata Miralles said he was initially unaware of what was going on in his clash with Fognini as he was focusing on closing out the match. Barcelona is only the seventh ATP main draw he has played in so far in his career.

“I was on the other side of the court, I wasn’t listening to be honest,” Tennis Majors quoted the 24-year-old as saying afterwards. “When I saw the referee on the court, I asked the umpire what’s going on. But I was focused on my work on the court, I was thinking on the next point, the next game, on things I had to focus on.”

Fognini has never previously been defaulted from a tennis match but he is no stranger to controversy. At the 2017 US Open he was fined $24,000 for insulting a female chair umpire and at the 2019 Wimbledon Championships he was heard saying ‘I wish a bomb would explode on this club.’ He later apologised for his remarks.

Zapata Miralles will play compatriot Pablo Carreno Busta in the third round.

Continue Reading

ATP

Matteo Berrettini beats Marco Cecchinato in all-Italian match in Belgrade

Avatar

Published

on

Number 2 seed Matteo Berrettini beat Marco Cecchinato 6-4 6-3 after 1 hour and 21 minutes in an all-Italian match to advance to the quarter finals at the Serbia Open in Belgrade. 

 

Berrettini broke serve three times and saved all three break points he faced showing that he is returning to his best form after an abdominal injury, which forced him ahead of his fourth-round match at the Australian Open. 

Berrettini saved three break points in the fourth game before earning his first break at 30 in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. Berrettini dropped just five points in his final three service games to win the first set 6-4. 

Berrettini went up a set and a break at 15 and never looked back in his next service games. He sealed the match 6-3 with his third break in the ninth game. 

This year Berrettini earned three top 15 wins to lead Italy to the ATP Cup in Melbourne. Last week he lost his opening match against Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters. 

“Confidence is something that goes away, it comes back. For sure I know that is my level. I know that I can play that kind of tennis. I work hard to be there, to be in good shape. It was obviously a shame. I work hard to be there, to be in good shape. It obviously was a shame. I was sad about my injury, but I know that I can play well on clay, on grass and on hard-court”, said Berrettini. 

Berrettini set up a match against Serbia’s Filip Krajnovic, who eased past Nikola Milojevic 6-1 6-1. Berretini defeated Krajinovic in their only previous head-to-head match in the Budapest final in 2019. 

“It’s going to be very tough. He is top 10, he is a huge champion. He is very tough to play against. I played him once in the final of an ATP Tour event and he beat me, so I know how to play. It’s going to be very tricky, very tough, but I will give my best playing on my court. We see how it goes”, said Krajinovic. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Felix Auger Aliassime battles back to beat Lorenzo Musetti in Barcelona

Felix Auger-Aliassime reached the third round in Barcelona, where he will meet Denis Shapovalov.

Avatar

Published

on

Felix Auger-Aliassime (@BATennisCom - Twitter)

The Canadian needed three sets and over two hours to get the win and set up a third round encounter with his good friend Denis Shapovalov.

 

Felix Auger Aliassime needed two hours and five minutes to beat the Italian Lorenzo Musetti 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 hitting nine aces in the win and setting up his next match with fellow Canadian Denis Shapovalov.

“It’s not always easy, to be honest, now I’m sitting here, I am happy that I won but things were difficult at some point in the match, I was facing breakpoints in the second set again and things got tight so trying to stay calm, trying to find solutions that was the main goal, I mean there was some ups and downs but in the end, I’m happy with the way the match ended, sometimes your not playing your best tennis but you gotta believe and have courage and fight through”.

The Italian got off to a great start earning a breakpoint in the opening game of the match but the Montreal native was able to save it and hold serve. At 1-1, the world number 20 was under pressure once again but hung in to save the breakpoint.

The Canadian got his first breakpoint of the match at 2-1 but this time it was the Italian who would do a good job of saving it. The very next game the world number 87 went back to work trying to get the early break and this time he was able to pull it off with a superb lob to take a 3-2 lead.

He would serve out the first set to take it 6-4 and a comeback was required if the Canadian didn’t want to be upset at the hands of the Italian.

The world number 87 kept it going in the beginning of the second set earning more breakpoints in the opening game but the Canadian would save both and hold serve.

The very next game the number 10 seed would set up two breakpoints with a stunning forehand winner and would break for the first time in the match to take a 2-0 lead.

The next game the Canadian struggled on serve and the Italian earned two more breakpoints and broke right back to go back on serve. At 3-2 the Montreal native would have another chance to break but the world number 87 would save it again.

At 4-3 the Italian started to get tight and the world number 20 earned three more chances to break and this time would break through to take a 5-3 lead and serve out the second set to send it into a decider.

Clearly the momentum was with the Canadian and he would earn three more breakpoints in the opening service game of the third set and broke to take a 1-0 lead.

After consolidating the break he would earn three more breakpoints and break once more to go up a double break. At the changeover Musetti called for the trainer and took a medical timeout to have work on his lower back.

The Canadian didn’t give in and after holding serve once again he would earn more breakpoints and break one more time and would serve out the match to win the decider with a 6-0 bagel.

As mentioned this win sets up a match with Denis Shapovalov on Thursday with both players meeting a total of four times and each player has two wins.

After the match Auger Aliassime spoke about the matchup and gave Ubitennis his thoughts.

“I feel like we played quite a lot lately and the past year so It’s always a challenge to play him, hopefully, I can play a good match, we can have a great battle but it’s always a tough task so I’ll try to rest and get ready as good as I can for the match tomorrow”.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending