‘Emotions Prevailed Over Rules’ - Grigor Dimitrov’s Agent Speaks Out After - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

‘Emotions Prevailed Over Rules’ – Grigor Dimitrov’s Agent Speaks Out After

Georgi Stoimenov has given an update concerning the current health of the Bulgarian tennis star after he test positive for COVID-19.

Avatar

Published

on

The agent of Grigor Dimitrov has confirmed that the tennis star only found out that he contracted COVID-19 after undergoing a series of general tests in Monaco.

 

Georgi Stoimenov has shed some details on the condition of the former top 10 player. Dimitrov confirmed on Sunday that he has tested positive for COVID-19, which resulted in the final of the Adria Tour being cancelled which he was participating in before withdrawing the day prior. Since then, it has been confirmed that Borna Coric has also tested positive, as well as two coaches. All those people attended the event in Croatia. Meanwhile, Vikor Troicki has also tested positive, but he only played in the first leg of the event in Belgrade just over a week ago.

“Grigor is fine. He is recovering gradually. Yesterday he no longer has any of the symptoms he had before. He felt a little tired, but over time he got better,” Stoimenov told Bulgarian TV channel BTV.
“When he returned to Monaco he did not feel well and had full tests. He didn’t actually have any specialized tests for COVID-19, he had full tests on his whole body, and then of course it said he had the virus.’
“They did a lung scan and then, to our delight, they were absolutely clean,” he added.

There has been huge fallout over the positive tests with many criticising the Adria Tour over their lack of measures to address the threat posed by the pandemic. Throughout the Belgrade and Zadar events, players were able to interact closely with members of the public, attend meals or parties together and sat next to each other during press conferences. Organisers insisted that they followed all rules in relation to what the local health authorities advised them. However, founder Novak Djokovic has so far not commented on the incident.

Stoimenov declined to speculate on where the outbreak might have occurred or who Dimitrov might have caught it from. Although it admits that things could have been done better at the event. Blaming both the excitement of the players and organisation of the Adria Tour.

“We tried to analyse things – who, how and where it may have come from, but it’s hard work and leads to nowhere. Everyone tried to observe them, but the emotion that accompanied the players related to the fact that they hadn’t seen each other for 3-4 months,” he said.
“Everyone felt quite liberated, maybe that made them cross some boundaries. As for the public – you know the stadium was for 4000 people and it was full. There were an awful lot of supporters who took pictures with each of them and followed them in the places where it was allowed. Was it observed? Conditionally. But obviously emotion prevails over the existing rules in Serbia.”

Fortunately Dimitrov is expected to make a full recovery but will still be placed in self-isolation for a set amount of days. His agent admits that he is concerned over the diagnoses given how deadly it can be.

“There are severe cases of this virus developing. It’s a concern for anyone who has it. Grigor spent a little over 3 months in isolation and it’s an ideal environment for good sports training. This virus currently blackened those 3 months, because what has been accumulated has accumulated and it remains, but this two-week period, in which he will not be able to train, will disrupt his sports rhythm,” Stoimenov concluded.

ATP

Nadal survives three-set marathon with Shapovalov in Rome

Rafael Nadal saved match points to edge out Denis Shapovalov in Rome.

Avatar

Published

on

Rafael Nadal (@atptour - Twitter)

The King of Clay needed three sets and over three hours to claim the win and avoid an upset.

 

Rafael Nadal needed three hours and 27 minutes to beat the Canadian Denis Shapovalov 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 at the Italian Open in Rome hitting 29 winners while his counterpart hit 46 unforced errors in the loss.

To everyone’s surprise it was the world number 14 who came out with the faster start earning two breakpoints in the first service game of the match with a stunning forehand winner.

He would break to take an early 1-0 lead and continued to have momentum earning another break and the Spaniard found himself staring at 3-0 defecit.

At 4-1 the world number three would get one of the breaks back but it wasn’t enough as the Toronto native would break one more time at 5-3 on his fourth breakpoint of the game to take the first set.

Once again we saw some really strong play from the Canadian in the beginning of the second set we saw history repeat itself when the world number 14 held serve and get the early break this time with his powerful forehand.

Nadal was fighting to stay in the set and the match and managed to earn a breakpoint but it was quickly saved with a big ace from Shapovalov. The very next game the Canadian had a chance to get another break but this time the Spaniard would deny him the opportunity.

After the world number three held serve he went on the attack looking to go back on serve and after three chances would get the break back. He would end up winning five games in a row and would take the second set to send it to a decider.

The third set remained on serve until 2-1 when the Canadian had a chance to break and he would take to jump out to a 3-1 lead. The break didn’t hold as Nadal came storming back the very next game breaking the world number 14 to love and equaling the set at 3-3.

The set and the match would ultimately be decided by a tiebreaker and in that breaker is when the Spaniard would take over winning it 7-3 to book his spot in the quarterfinals.

He will next face either Alexander Zverev or Kei Nishikori on Friday for a spot in the semifinals.

Continue Reading

ATP

Novak Djokovic Moving Into A ‘Good Trajectory’ After Reaching Rome Quarter-Finals

Novak Djokovic admitted that he is on a good trajectory after reaching the last eight in Rome.

Avatar

Published

on

Novak Djokovic (@atptour - Twitter)

Novak Djokovic has said that he is on a ‘good trajectory’ after moving into the Rome Quarter-Finals.

 

The world number one moved into the last eight in the Italian capital with a comfortable 6-2 6-1 victory over Alejandro Davidovich Fokina.

Despite being broken in the first game, Djokovic rallied back to break on five occasions as he cruised past the Erratic Spaniard.

After 1 hour and 11 minutes, Djokovic’s overall game was too much for Davidovich Fokina as the Serb progressed to his 15th quarter-final in Rome.

After the match in his on-court interview the top seed admitted he is on a good trajectory as he builds momentum towards Roland Garros, “I thought I played well,” Djokovic told the ATP website.

“He started well and broke my serve in the first game. I made some errors, but I managed to break back right away and establish the control and consistency on the court. I think from the back of the court I was just a bit more solid than him.

“He made some unforced errors and double faults in key moments, which obviously helped me get that necessary break forward. I thought I played better, at least 20 or 30 per cent better, than I did against Fritz a few days ago. I am on a good trajectory and hopefully tomorrow will be even better.”

The real test for Djokovic will come tomorrow when he faces top 10 opposition in the last eight.

It will either be Monte-Carlo champion Stefanos Tsitsipas or Madrid finalist and home favourite Matteo Berrettini next up for the world number one.

Djokovic was well aware of the form either of his possible opponents are in heading into tomorrow’s showdown, “My next match will be against a Top 10 player, so it is going to be a battle,” Djokovic explained.

“Both of these guys are in great form. Tsitsipas won Monte-Carlo and Berrettini is just coming off the final in Madrid. I am obviously going to do my best to win that match, whoever I play against.”

In the other result in Rome today, Reilly Opelka reached the quarter-finals with a 7-6(6) 6-4 win over Aslan Karatsev.

The American hit 18 aces as he will now face Felix Auger-Aliassime or Federico Delbonis on Friday.

Continue Reading

ATP

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up blockbuster third round match against Matteo Berrettini in Rome

Avatar

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas edged past Marin Cilic 7-5 6-2 to advance to third round at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. 

 

Tsitsipas has improved his win-loss record to 28-7 this season, equalling Andrey Rublev for most match wins after Rublev beat Jan-Lennard Struff 6-7 (7-9) 6-1 6-4 earlier today. 

Tsitsipas had to save two break points in the ninth game to hold serve after four deuces. The 2021 Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters winner earned his crucial break in the 12th game to win a hard-fought first set 7-5. 

Tsitsipas was in control of the match and cruised to a 6-2 win in the second set with two breaks in the second and eighth games. 

“Sometimes I need to adjust my game and Marin is someone I respect a lot. I knew he was going to come out here and play his best tennis. He made move a lot. It was quite tricky to adjust to that at the beginning, but towards the very end of the first set I stayed calm and stayed calm and resilient. I had to play deep on the returns and find solutions from the baseline rallies. That worked well for me from 6-5”, said Tsitsipas. 

Tsitsipas set up a blockbuster third round match against last week’s Madrid Mutua Open finalist Matteo Berrettini, who beat John Millman 6-4 6-2 in front of fans, who will return on Thursday. Tsitsipas enjoyed the atmosphere on the Pietrangeli Stadium. 

“The Pietrangeli Stadium is very beautiful. It’s one of the best courts on tour. I feel like the Pietrangeli here is great. We are surrounded by trees in the city and it’s very quiet which is very important for tennis. Honestly, I can’t wait for the fans to come and fill in the stadium”, said Tsitsipas. 

Berrettini missed three consecutive break points in the third game of the opening set and earned his first break in the ninth game to take a 5-4 lead. The Rome-native star served out the first set at 15. Berrettini earned two consecutive breaks to race out to 4-0 lead. Millman saved a break point to hold serve in the fifth game, but Berrettini never looked back in his next two service games to claim the second set 6-2. 

Berrettini has improved with his each appearance in the Rome tournament, reaching the second round in 2018, the third round in 2019 and the quarter final in 2020. 

Tsitsipas beat Berrettini in their only head-to-head match at the 2019 Australian Open. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending