British Tennis ‘Financially Stable’ Despite Cancellation Of Wimbledon Tournament - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

British Tennis ‘Financially Stable’ Despite Cancellation Of Wimbledon Tournament

The head of the committee that runs Wimbledon explains why there will be no more pandemic insurance after this year.

Published

on

The chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis Club has insisted that the loss of Wimbledon this year will not have a severe financial impact on the sport in Britain.

 

Richard Lewis said he was ‘optimistic’ that the surplus, which is the payment to the Lawn Tennis Association, has adequate protection. This year is the first time the grass-court grand slam has been cancelled since the Second World War due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Making Wimbledon the only grand slam out of the four to be cancelled this season. The Australian Open took place as scheduled. Meanwhile, the US Open and French Open will take place later this year.

“We’re still in a very good position – which is a slightly strange thing to say when you’ve just cancelled the championships – but we’re financially very stable,” BBC Sport quoted Lewis as saying.
“I’m optimistic that the surplus will be pretty well protected, and therefore the impact will be somewhat minimised.”

Despite Lewis’ optimism, there will inevitably be a loss of money following the cancellation. Although the exact figure is unknown. Last year, more than 500,000 people visited Wimbledon over 13 days in what was the second highest attendance in their history. In May the LTA received a surplus of more than £50 million for the first time (£50.8M to be exact) from the tournament. Wimbledon makes up 90% of the LTA’s distributable surplus, plus it provides additional funding to support grasscourt tournaments and officiating fees.

Unlike other top events, Wimbledon’s saving grace was the fact they had a pandemic insurance that protected them against the COVID-19 pandemic. Making the decision to cancel their event more financially viable than the other majors. It is understood that the insurance had an annual cost of £1.5M over the past 17 years, but this year’s payoff is estimated to be in the region of £114M. Although an exact figure is yet to be confirmed as the claim is still in the processing stage.

However, next year Lewis has confirmed that there will be no pandemic insurance available for Wimbledon in 2021 due to the ongoing health crises. Meaning that will not be able to repeat this move next year if the COVID-19 situation is still not under control.

“No that’s impossible [to get pandemic insurance] in the current climate,” Lewis explained.
“What I would say about the future though is that when I first started in 2012, there were some signs that things were not insurable, because of communicable diseases that had taken place like SARS and swine flu.
“In the immediate aftermath you can’t get insurance but fairly soon after that, you can start to get insurance again, the market returns.
“So there won’t be insurance next year, but I think in the medium term, just because we’ve made one claim it won’t affect us in the long term.”

In the coming weeks Lewis will step down from his role as head of the AELTC and be replaced by Sally Bolton who will become the first ever female CEO of the body. Bolton said she is planning to host the 2021 Wimbledon event as normal as it can be given the circumstances. Keeping a watchful eye on the two Grand Slams that will take place later this year.

“Of course, we’ve got the US Open and Roland Garros being staged later this year, and we will be looking closely at what they do, working with the constraints they find themselves are under, and learning what we can,” she said.
“But it is far too early to start predicting what the situation will be like, and planning in detail for that.”

Wimbledon 2021 is set to be held from June 28 to July 11.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Andrey Rublev, Dominic Thiem and Roberto Bautista Agut secure their spot in the semifinals at Thiem’s 7 tournament

Published

on

Andrey Rublev edged Casper Ruud 6-2 3-6 10-4 at the Thiem’s 7 tournament in Kitzbuhel. After losing the first set Ruud came back to win the second set forcing the match to the third set. Rublev won the super tie-break when Ruud made a double fault on the match point. Rublev needed a win from Dominic Thiem against Jan Lennard Struff to secure his spot in the semifinal.

 

Thiem beat Struff 6-4 7-6 (7-3) to score his third consecutive win at this tournament after defeating Casper Ruud and Andrey Rublev in the first two days.

The first set went on serve until the 10th game, when Thiem converted on his first break point at 5-4 to clinch the first set in 30 minutes. In the second set Thiem did not convert two break points at 3-2 and another chance at 4-3. It came down to the tie-break. Thiem earned a mini-break to take a 2-1 lead and held on his serve to create three match point at 6-3. The home player converted on his first chance, as Struff’s backhand sailed long. Thiem set up a semifinal clash against Roberto Bautista Agut.

The Spanish player converted five of his six break points and won 73% of the rallies of the rallies in his service game in his 6-0 6-1 win over Dennis Novak to get the second point in his round robin group and secure his spot in the semifinals in the Group B.

Bautista Agut won 5 of the 7 games of the match before Novak earned his only game of the match by holding his first service game in the second set. Bautista Agut won five consecutive games to win the second set 6-1.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Alexander Zverev and Nick Kyrgios pull out of Berlin exhibition tournament

Published

on

Alexander Zverev and Nick Kyrgios have withdrawn from the exhibition bett1 ACES tournament in Berlin. Both players were expected to join Dominic Thiem in the tournament, which will take place in the Steffi Graf Stadium from 13 to 15 July and in the Hangar 6 from 17 to 19 July. Caroline Garcia has pulled out from the women’s tournament due to a knee injury and will be replaced by Anastasija Sevastova.

 

“I was planning to play in Berlin this month, but I have made the decision to stay put and train with my team and not play any tournaments at the moment. It’s never nice to miss the chance to play, but I will be back soon”, said Zverev on the social media.

Zverev updated his fans on his latest news on his twitter account.

“I wanted to update you on a few things. First, on Friday I took my third test for Covid-19 and I am happy to say it also came back negative. Secondly, I am going through a trial period with David Ferrer on my team. I could not be more excited to get to work. I can’t wait for the tour to be back”, said Zverev.

Berlin organizers doubt that Zverev will play in Berlin. Last week Edwin Weindorfer said that he was considering refusing to allow Zverev to play in Berlin and warned he would have zero tolerance of any player who parties during the exhibition tournament.

“Zverev’s management said that he is not planning to play in any tournament at the moment. We are obviously disappointed, because he would have had a good opportunity to play in front of his fans”, said Weindorfer.

 Dominic Thiem, Jannik Sinner and Jan Lennard Struff in the men’s field and Elina Svitolina, Petra Kvitova, Kiki Bertens and Andrea Petkovic are the top names of the Berlin tournament.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Donna Vekic Splits With Coach, Disputes The Reason Behind Move

The world No.24 has questioned a statement from her ex-coach concerning the reason behind his departure.

Published

on

Croatia’s top women’s player has been left searching for a new mentor on the Tour after parting ways with her coach after more than two years.

 

Donna Vekic has confirmed that she is no longer working with Torben Beltz, who previously guided Angelique Kerber to two of her Grand Slam titles. Under Beltz’s guidance, the world No.24 reached three WTA Finals as well as the quarter-finals of her first Grand Slam at the 2019 US Open. Last year the 24-year-old also broke into the top 20 for the first time in her career.

News of the split was confirmed by Beltz after the German coach posted a statement on his Instagram account. In it, he cites ‘different views’ in practicing and scheduling as the reason behind them going separate ways.

“Unfortunately Team Donna and I had different views in setting up the practice and tournament schedule for the restart of the tour which is why we will go separate ways! Thanks Donna for the last 2.5 years, it was a great ride and I always enjoyed our time together. Good luck for you in the future. Ready for a new adventure,” Beltz wrote.

However, it appears that there is more to it than what Beltz has said. Taking to Twitter, Vekic called him out by questioning his view on why the two split. Although she didn’t comment on why the decision was made.

“Well this is the first time I’m hearing of different views in practice and tournament schedules…?” She wrote on Twitter.

The separation comes after what was a mixed start to the season for Vekic prior to the Tour suspension. In her first five tournaments she only won back-to-back matches in Adelaide and at the Australian Open. Her 2020 win-loss record currently stands at 5-5.

So far in her career Vekic has earned more than $4.2 million in prize money which is the fourth highest tally ever made by a female Croatian player. Petra Martic holds the record with $5,128,866 in earnings.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending