Don’t Expect Top Players To Prop Up The Tour, Warns John Millman - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Don’t Expect Top Players To Prop Up The Tour, Warns John Millman

The former US Open quarter-finalist has jumped to the defence of fellow player Dominic Thiem.

Avatar

Published

on

One of Australia’s top players have dismissed the idea that his fellow rivals on the tour should contribute towards a fund to support those ranked lower than them after Dominic Thiem received criticism for his opposition.

 

John Millman, who is currently ranked 43rd on the ATP Tour, believes the problem lies with the governing bodies of the sport. Recently Novak Djokovic issued a letter to the ATP Tour outlining a plan where he hoped that those in the top 100 would contribute towards a fund set up to support those during the tour suspension. The donations range between $5000 and $30,000 depending on where a player is positioned inside the top 100.

However, the initiative failed to receive the backing of Thiem. Who lost to Djokovic in the Australian Open final in January. The world No.3 said he didn’t want to donate to the fund because he has concerns that the money could go to those who are ‘unprofessional’ or don’t commit fully to the Tour. Prompting many to hit out at the Austrian. Including Algerian player Ines Ibbou, who published an emotional video detailing her struggles on the tour. The 21-year-old has only managed to make $27,825 in prize money so far in her career.

“There are just a few things that bother me about the whole thing,” Thiem told Sky Sports Austria.
“I don’t back down from my opinion that there are some players I don’t want to support. Therefore I would much prefer it to be chosen by the players themselves, because then those players who really need it and who really deserve it will benefit.”

Speaking with the Australian Associated Press, Millman has jumped to Thiem’s defence by arguing that his comments have been misinterpreted. Thiem never said he wouldn’t donate to a program that would help players, but said he wanted to choose who to donate to.

According to Millman, he believes the problem lies with the management of the ATP, WTA and ITF. The veteran player have played on the ATP Tour for a decade and has made more than $3.5 million in prize money earnings.

“Look, players outside 100 are struggling all year round whether there is coronavirus or not,” Millman told AAP.
“I don’t think it should come down for someone like Dominic to prop up the tour.
“It should be managed better by the ATP, the WTA and the ITF.
“There should have been a bigger effort earlier on for these organisations to have made it a priority to grow the game and help people make money from the game.”

Elaborating further, Millman said he was frustrated that it took the COVID-19 pandemic to get the ball rolling. All professional tennis matches have been suspended since March until at least July 31st.

“My biggest problem is that it has taken coronavirus for us to be talking about it,” he said.
“There have been plenty of opportunities over the years to try and get more people making money out of the sport and I don’t think we have done a good enough job.”

Recently the ATP, WTA and ITF announced the launch of a player relief fund set out to support those in need during the tour break. Valued at an estimated $6 million the money will be targeted towards an estimated 800 ATP/WTA singles and doubles players providing they meet certain criteria.

ATP

Hubert Hurkacz Aims To Build On Delray Beach Triumph

The best way to start the season for the world No.35.

Avatar

Published

on

Hubert Hurkacz (image via https://twitter.com/DelrayBeachOpen)

Poland’s Herbert Hurkacz says he hopes to play at an even higher level over the coming weeks after winning the Delray Beach Open title on Wednesday.

 

The world No.35 eased to a 6-3, 6-3, win over Sebastian Korda in the final to claim only the second title in his career after Winston Salem back in 2018. Hurkacz, who was the fourth seed in the tournament, didn’t drop a set all week en route to becoming the first Polish player in history to win the title. In the final he won 68% of his service points and broke Korda four times overall.

“It feels great. It is great to win the title and I am so happy about that. This Is a great start to the season,” Hurkacz said afterwards.
“I am happy that I am improving and we (my team) are doing good stuff with C.B (coach Craig Boynton), and things are working. So I am really pleased with this result.”

The 23-year-old is hoping to improve on what was a challenging 2020 season for him. After reaching the semi-finals of the Auckland Open in January last year, he could only win back-to-back matches in two out of his next 12 tournaments prior to Delray Beach. His best Grand Slam result was reaching the third round of the 2019 Wimbledon Championships.

Seeking to break new territory in 2021, Hurkacz will today start his 24-hour journey to Australia which begins with a 5am departure from America this morning. His coach Craig Boynton also currently worked with Steve Johnson and previously mentored Jim Courier.

“It’s the beginning of the season and I still need to work on a couple of things, but I hope I can play even better in Australia,” Hurkacz stated.

Hurkacz is only the second Polish player to have won an ATP Tour title in the Open Era after Wojciech Fibak. At present he is the only player from his country ranked inside the top 100 on the Tour.

Continue Reading

ATP

Cristian Garin Out Of Australian Open Following Fall

The South American tennis star will not travel to Melbourne due to both injury and the travel restrictions implemented.

Avatar

Published

on

Chile’s Cristian Garin has become the third top 30 player to pull out of the men’s draw at next month’s Australian Open.

 

The world No.22 has confirmed that he will not be travelling to the Grand Slam after suffering a fall in which he hurt his wrist a week ago. Announcing his decision on Instagram, Garin said the limitations in place at the tournament which wouldn’t allow him to travel with his physio played a factor. This year’s Australian Open is taking place amid strict COVID-19 rules which requires players to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival and limits the number of team members they can bring. The majority of players will be spending their quarantine in Melbourne but the top names will be in Adelaide following a recent deal secured by Tennis Australia.

I am very sad to report that a week ago I suffered a fall, which left me with a lot of pain in my left wrist (sprain),” Garin wrote on his Instagram story. “It has been very difficult for me to play the last days and given the restrictions of the tour, they do not allow me to travel with my physiotherapist, which makes it impossible to find a good recovery. Unfortunately I will not be able to play this year in Australia, which is something very difficult for me to accept. I hope to return in good condition and with the best energy for the tour in South America.”

photo via – https://www.instagram.com/garincris/

Garin kicked-off his season on Saturday at the Delray Beach Open where he was the top seed. However, he lost his opening match in straight sets to Christian Harrison who went on to reach the semi-finals. It is only the second tournament he has played since the French Open in October.

The setback comes after the 24-year-old confirmed that he has started working with Franco Davin back in November. A tennis coach known best for his work with Juan Martin del Potro. Davin has also previously worked with Grigor Dimitrov and Kyle Edmund.

The withdrawal of Garin follows that of Roger Federer and John Isner. Former champion Federer has pulled out due to his ongoing recovery from a right knee injury. Although one Australian Open official believes his decision was due to another factor. Meanwhile, Isner has opted not to travel to Australia because he didn’t want to spend an extended time away from his family.

The Australian Open will start on February 8th.

Continue Reading

ATP

Christian Harrison Speaks Out After ATP Fines Him For Not Wearing A Mask

The American says he is against ‘masking people for the sake of it for TV.’

Avatar

Published

on

Christian Harrison (image via https://twitter.com/DelrayBeachOpen)

American tennis player Christian Harrison has said he will appeal a fine issued to him at the Delray Beach Open after he refused to do an on-court interview because he was required to wear a mask.

 

The ATP has slammed the 789th ranked player with a fine of $3000 for refusing to do the mandatory interview. However, Harrison is arguing his case by saying he believed that wearing a mask was optional and has been told by the tournament supervisor he can appeal against the fine. He has previously spoken out against wearing masks after writing last week ‘Healthy enough to play 3 hour matches. But I’m an absolute safety hazard walking maskless through a restaurant.’ On Twitter he also liked a Tweet last month by Political commentator Liz Wheeler who wrote ‘Wear a mask until EVERY person is vaccinated?! Are you insane?’

“Christian Harrison was fined $3,000 for declining the mandatory post-match on-court interview following his second round win over Cristian Garin on Saturday,” the ATP said in a statement.

Arguing his defence Harrison wrote on social media that it is ‘not healthy’ to wear a mask in the sun for longer than necessary after a match. The rule implemented is one of a series that has been taken in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. In America, where Harrison is playing at the Delray Beach Open, the country has recorded more deaths from the virus than any other.

“After my second round match I chose not to do my post match interview due to wearing a mask. It’s not healthy to wear a mask in the hot sun for more time than absolutely necessary after a tough match,” he wrote on Instagram.
“I was given the impression it was optional. I wasn’t told I would be fined. That night I was told it is a requirement for T.V. matches and I would be fined. When I spoke to the supervisor the following morning, I was told since I wasn’t notified that it was mandatory I could appeal the fine and it would be taken away. Unless something changes now I still believe that to be true.”

Refusing to admit any wrongdoing, the 26-year-old says he ‘doesn’t agree’ with masking people for the sake of TV. Although he has stated that he will follow the rules in the future.

“I was required to do a sit down interview after the match with the same person which I agreed to and I did not have to wear a mask for it,” he continues.
“It’s not about safety to wear mask for TV to talk to a microphone with no one around . Playing the tournaments I’ll follow whatever is required even if I don’t agree with it. I don’t support masking people for the sake of it for TV.”

The controversy coincides with Harrison’s fairytale run at the Delray Beach Open this week. On Monday he defeated Gianluca Mager 7-6(2), 6-4, to reach the semi-finals of an ATP tournament for the first time in his career. He did wear a mask during his on-court interview following that win. The breakthrough comes after more than a decade of setbacks for Harrison who has undergone a total of eight surgeries on both legs, both hips, his right wrist, and both adductors.

Harrison will play fourth seed Hubert Hurkacz in the semi-finals.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending