Simona Halep Calls Out Own Government Over Lack Of Investment In Tennis - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Simona Halep Calls Out Own Government Over Lack Of Investment In Tennis

The world No.2 has spoken out about the state of tennis in her home country.

Published

on

Simona Halep (@AustralianOpen on Twitter)

Two-time grand slam champion Simona Halep has said she has been left ‘frustrated’ by her country’s government for their failure to invest into the Romanian Tennis Association.

 

The world No.2 joined a series of top athletes from her country to speak out about the state of investment in sport on Wednesday. Participating in a press conference at the Palace of Parliament, which also featured legendary gymnast Nadia Comăneci and former Olympic 5000 meter champion Gabriela Szabo. Addressing reporters, Halep have called for a rapid improvement in infrastructure to develop sporting talent.

“I didn’t come here for me, but for the new generation,” the Romania Journal quoted Halep as saying.
“The new generation badly needs infrastructure, which is missing in our country. We badly need a sports hall to host all Fed Cup matches. There are many children who need financial support, especially when it comes to tennis, which is an expensive sport (…) I really launch a call for this cause, for infrastructure in tennis. Romanian tennis had many great results (…) It’s a real pity for our Romanian talent to not do anything, to not progress,” she added.

Halep is one of 11 players currently ranked in the top 200 on the WTA Tour. Last year the Romanian Fed Cup team reached the semi-finals of the competition in what was their best performance for more than 40 years. On the men’s tour, Marius Copil is the only player from the country to be in the top 200 in singles.

Nevertheless, 28-year-old Halep remains the key figure in Romanian tennis. So far in her career, she has won 19 WTA titles and made more than $35 million in prize money. After winning the Wimbledon crown last summer, she attended a special ceremony to mark her achievement in Bucharest.

“It is frustrating that the Romanian Tennis Federation does not exist very much, as far as I understand, and I am quite documented on this subject.” She said.
“It is frustrating for us, it is frustrating for me having so many results, being the number one worldwide, that our federation is not funded by the Government.”

In another development, Halep has said she is confident her team will fair well in this year’s Fed Cup without her. She is skipping the team competition in order to focus on the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo this summer. Romania has been drawn to play Italy in April.

“I watched the Fed Cup matches, I think the girls did a great job, they had important victories and very good matches.” She told Digi Sport.
“They are capable of doing the same thing with Italy and I think they are strong enough to do the right thing, ”

Halep will return to action next week at the Dubai Tennis Championships.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Angelo Binaghi: “The Internazionali BNL d’Italia could be held in September. It is a better period than May”

Published

on

Italian Tennis Federation President Angelo Binaghi said in an interview to Italian tennis channel Supertennis that he was confident that the 2020 edition of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia could take place next September as a tune-up for the French Open. The ATP Masters and the WTA Premier Masters was originally scheduled from 11th to 17th May, but it was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.

 

“Barring major upheavels, I think that we are going to reorganise the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in September, between the middle and the end of the month. They tell me, especially the Romans, that it is an extraordinary season, the best time to play tennis. September could be better than May, when the tournament is traditionally held. Tennis is the safest sport at the time of the coronavirus pandemic. Our sport has some advantage compared to team sports. This summer we will hold the National Championhsips after many years”, said Binaghi.  

Binaghi said that he would meet Italian Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora to discuss about the possibility to attend the tournament.

Italian tennis will celebrate the 10th anniversary of Francesca Schiavone’s win at Roland Garros in 2010.

“Schiavone’s win was a big surprise. Italian tennis was not ready for this triumph. It was a big step forward, that made us aware that we could achieve any kind of result. It marked the start of a golden period for Italian tennis”.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Dominic Thiem, Alexander Zverev, Nick Kyrgios and Jannik Sinner set to play in Berlin exhibition tournament

Published

on

Berlin is set to host an exhibition tournament in two parts. Twelve players will take part in this tournament, that will consist in two parts. The first part will take place on grass between 13th and 15th July. The second part will be held on hard court in a hangar near the closed Tempelhof Airport between 17th and 19th July.

 

The men’s tournament will feature 2018 ATP Finals champion Alexander Zverev, this year’s Australian Open Dominic Thiem, Nick Kyrgios and 2019 Next Gen ATP Finals Jannik Sinner.

Two-time Rome champion Elina Svitolina, Kiki Bertens, Julia Goerges and Andrea Petkovic have signed up to play in the women’s tournament.

The matches will be played behind closed doors. A super tie-break will replace the third set. There will be no electronic lines calls with no line judges to reduce the number of people on the court. The exhibition event will replace a WTA tournament in Berlin, which was scheduled on June, but it was cancelled.

A total prize money of 200000 Euros will be available.

 

 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Injury Scare Fails To Derail Petra Kvitova From Winning ‘Bizarre’ All-Czech Tennis Event

The world No.12 speaks out about the unusual circumstances she was playing in earlier this week as she sheds light on a recent injury issue she has been dealing with.

Published

on

During what was meant to be the first week of the French Open Petra Kvitova is still winning matches albeit in very different circumstances.

 

With professional tennis still halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the two-time Wimbledon champion was one of the headline acts at the CTS President’s Cup earlier this week. A Three-day event that features eight men and eight women taking part in a all-Czech tournament. Umpires and ball boys had to wear face masks and there was limited spacing for spectators to watch from the sidelines with organizers mindful of social distancing.

“The gloves, face masks, the fact nobody handed us the towels, no handshakes, that was definitely bizarre,” said Kvitova.
“And playing without people, the atmosphere was not exactly what we are used to.”

Despite the unusual circumstances, it failed to prevent Kvitova for winning the event on Thursday. During a rain-interrupted final she saw off Wimbledon quarter-finalist Karolina Muchova 6-3, 6-3. Earlier in the event she also scored wins over former world No.1 doubles player Kateřina Siniaková (7-5, 6-4) and Barbora Krejčíková (7-6, 6-2).

The trio of victories came only days after there was concern if Kvitova would be able to play at all. Leading into the tournament the Czech started to feel pain in her forearm, but was later given the all clear by her doctor. Speaking to reporters, she said the pain she felt was similar to what occurred this time last year when she was forced to withdraw from the French Open.

“Two days before the start of the tournament, my forearm started to stiffen, similar to last year before the French Open,” the 30-year-old explained.
“That’s why I didn’t train on Monday. I was waiting for Mr. Kolář’s verdict, but he said that I would be able to do it (play) in some way.”

Now her first taste of competitive tennis in over three months has concluded, Kvitova has relished the experience. It is still unclear as to when the WTA Tour will resume. At present the suspension is until July 31st. In recent days both the US Open and French Open have said they are optimistic that their events will be able to go ahead later this year in some capacity.

“Given the circumstances and the pandemic, it was a wonderful tournament,” Kvitova stated.

Whilst officials ponder when to restart the sport, Kvitova plans to take some time resting her hand in order to prevent aggravating it further.

“I’ll definitely feel my hand for a few days now, but I’ll take time off, there’s no hurry,” she concluded.

In the men’s final world No.450 Michael Vrbensky, who shocked top seed Jiri Vesely in the first round, won the title.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending