More Recovery Required For Dominic Thiem As Grand Slam Hangover Continues - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

More Recovery Required For Dominic Thiem As Grand Slam Hangover Continues

The world No.4 reflects on his lacklustre performance at the Rio Open this week.

Published

on

Dominic Thiem - Australian Open 2020 (via Twitter, @AustralianOpen)

As the only top 20 participant in this week’s Rio Open Dominic Thiem had his sight set on both the title and a milestone ranking position. However, the South American clay proved to be too problematic for the world No.4.

 

Playing his first tournament since reaching the final of the Australian Open last month, Thiem struggled from the onset. During his first two matches he was taken to three sets by world No.341 Felipe Meligeni Alves and world No.99 Jaume Munar. Two players who certainly played some of their best tennis to expose some uncomfortable weaknesses in his current game.

On Saturday Thiem’s Rio campaign was ended by Italian underdog Gianluca Mager, who is yet to crack the top 100. 25-year-old Mager is yet to play a grand slam main draw match, but did win a trio of titles on the lower tier Challenger tour last year.

“Everything is basically fine, but of course it is always very tough to have an exhausting grand slam tournament and then the body comes down.” Thiem explained following his exit from the tournament.
“Trying to get things going again on a different surface in a completely different country on the other side of the world is not easy. Of course I was not playing my best tennis this week (in Rio).’
“A lot of times my tennis gets better as the week goes, but unfortunately it didn’t happen this week.”

Thiem is only the second top-five player to return to the tour following the Australian Open. After Daniil Medvedev, who has suffered early exits in Rotterdam and Marseille. The top two players – Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal – will return to action next week in Dubai and Monterey. Meanwhile, Roger Federer is sidelined until at least June with injury.

“There is not a lot of time between Australia and here, and it is a really big challenge to get 100% again.” He commented about the short turnaround.
“I’m only home home for a week and then I’m flying (to Rio) again.”

Whilst not feeling his best on the court, there was an incentive for the Austrian to do well this week. If he made the semi-finals, he would break into the world’s top three for the first time in his career. Becoming the first male tennis player from his country to do so since Thomas Muster. Fortunately for Thiem his place in the top three is inevitable thanks to the absence of one of his rivals in the coming weeks.

“To be honest I’m not very worried about that right now because I’ll be number three in a couple of weeks anyway. I’m sad because I lost this match. It makes no difference to be at the Top 3 this Monday or next week”, he said.

Thiem is next heading off to Los Angeles for some rest before resuming training once again. He will be eager to regain his form from earlier this year ahead of his next tournament in Indian Wells. It will be there where he will be defending a Masters 1000 title for the first time in his career. Last year he defeated Federer in the final.

“I will try to do the same as last year which worked out perfectly as I played great tennis in Indian Wells.” Thiem outlined.
“I arrived 10 days prior to the tournament and I am going to do the same again in Indian Wells. Get used to the conditions which are unique. I’ll try to do something similar to last year which worked out amazing and I hope to be at the back at the top of my game.”

ATP

US Open Must Allow Entourages Of Three Or Four People, Says Thiem

The world No.3 says he is feeling good ahead of the return of professional tennis next month.

Published

on

Dominic Thiem has come out against proposals to restrict the number of coaching staff that can travel to this year’s US Open amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

This year’s New York major will be held behind closed doors for the first time in history and will be implementing a series of measures to help minimise the threat posed by the virus. Part of their plan is to limit how many people a player can bring with them to the tournament. It was originally reported that only one team member per player would be allowed to travel, but it has emerged that the limit has since been extended to three.

Speaking about the limits, three-time Grand Slam finalist Thiem said the idea of only allowing one member of his team to travel with him would be a risk for some players on the Tour.

*”I do not think so. Three or four people must be allowed. It would be extremely risky to travel without your own physio. You need a local coach for this,’ Thiem told The Kronen Zeitung newspaper on Sunday.

Thiem last played a match on the ATP Tour at the Rio Open in February where he lost in the quarter-finals. However, throughout the lockdown he has still managed to maintain his match fitness by participating in numerous tournaments. In total he has played 24 matches across three different countries, including one named after him called Thiems 7.

“Right now I feel very good,” he said. “I have played a lot of exhibition games in the last two months and I am not tired at all. I really wanted to play tennis again, since my start of the year was very good.’
“During This period of confinement at home I have been crushing myself a lot in the physical aspect and already when I returned to training. I have decided to improve the backhand and the serve a little more.”

The ATP Tour will resume next month with Thiem hoping that he can continue his form generated from earlier this year. At the Australian Open he reached the final for the first time in his career before getting edged out by Novak Djokovic. Although when he returns, tournaments will not be the same as before due to the ongoing pandemic with strict safety measures and reduced crowds in place.

“When the circuit returns, the matches will be exactly the same as we had previously, but the atmosphere will be different,” he said.
“All tennis players will miss playing tournaments where many people travelled to see us every day. In New York, Paris or Melbourne there are between 60,000 and 70,000 people every day in the facilities. That previous life we ​​had will not be the same and we may have to get used to this new normal for a few years.”

Thiem is one of only four men to have already made more than $1 million in prize money so far this year on the ATP Tour.

*NOTE: Since the publication of this article quotes have been edited following a translation mix-up.

Continue Reading

ATP

Nick Kyrgios Slams Thiem Over Defence Of Controversy-Stricken Adria Tour

The world No.40 has accused the Austrian of lacking an ‘intellectual level’ to understand his view.

Published

on

Australian star Nick Kyrgios has continued his public criticism of the Adria Tour by taking aim at two-time French Open finalist Dominic Thiem.

 

The 25-year-old has repeatedly hit out at the exhibition event, which Thiem participated in. Organised by world No.1 Novak Djokovic, the event took place in Belgrade and Zadar before it was scrapped following an outbreak of COVID-19 among both players and coaching staff. Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric all got infected. The outbreak came after the Adria Tour was criticised for a lack of social distancing and players attended various public events together. Although at the time, all of their actions were done in accordance with local regulations. Something the Serbian Prime Minister now admits was a mistake.

However, Thiem has called out Kyrgios over his vocal criticism of fellow Adria Tour competitor Alexander Zverev. The German attended a party in southern France less than a week after the COVID-19 outbreak despite issuing a statement saying he would go into self-isolation.

“It was his mistake, but I don’t why a lot of people want to interfere. Kyrgios has done a lot of mistakes. It would be better for him to come clear instead of criticising others,” Thiem told Tiroler Tageszeitung.

Continuing to defend the actions of his fellow players, Thiem also jumped to the defence of Djokovic. Who has been under heavy criticism over the event with some going as far as questioning his position as president of the ATP Players Council.

“He didn’t commit a crime. We all make mistakes, but I don’t understand all the criticism. I’ve been to Nice and also saw pictures from other cities. It’s no different from Belgrade during the tournament. It’s too cheap to shoot at Djokovic.”

The comments have now been blasted by Kyrgios, who stands by his previous criticism of players. Accusing Thiem of lacking an ‘intellectual level’ to see his point of view.

“What are you talking about @ThiemDomi? Mistakes like smashing rackets? Swearing? Tanking a few matches here or there? Which everyone does?” Kyrgios wrote on Twitter.
“None of you have the intellectual level to even understand where I’m coming from. I’m trying to hold them accountable.”
“People losing lives, loved ones and friends, and then Thiem standing up for the ‘mistake,'” he added.

The COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than 500,000 people worldwide and some players have voiced concerns over travelling to America which has recently seen a rise in cases. On Wednesday Alexi Popyrin became the first player to say he won’t play the US Open due to health concerns.

The ATP Tour is set to resume next month but it is unclear as to what events Thiem and Kyrgios will be playing in.

Continue Reading

ATP

Roger Federer Eyeing Olympic Glory At The Age Of 39 In 2021

The Swiss tennis star isn’t ready to step away from the sport just yet.

Published

on

20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has vowed to play at next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo after undergoing two surgeries on his knee.

 

The former world No.1 hasn’t played a competitive match since his semi-final loss to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open in January. Since then he had twice undergone arthroscopic surgeries which is a minimally invasive procedure that is used to diagnose and treat problems with the joints. Federer announced shortly after having the procedure done for a second time that he will not be returning to the Tour again this year.

Despite the setbacks, the 38-year-old has vowed to return to action at the start of 2021 with Olympic glory one of his main targets. He is already a two-time Olympic medallist after winning gold in the men’s doubles back in 2008 followed by silver in the singles draw at the 2012 London Games.

“My goal is to play Tokyo 2021. It’s a wonderful city. I met my wife in my first Olympics in 2000. It’s a special event for me,” Federer said on Monday during the launch of ‘The Roger’ shoe with Swiss brand ON.
“I had two surgeries and I can’t hit at the moment, but I’m very confident I will be totally ready for 2021.
“I do miss playing in front of the fans, no doubt. Now, I think if tennis comes back we know it won’t be in a normal way where we can have full crowds yet.”

Federer will be 39 when he returns to action, but is yet to speculate as to when he may close the curtain on his record-breaking career. He is currently the second oldest man in the top 200 on the ATP Tour after Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic, who is 41.

Besides the Olympics, the Swiss Maestro is also setting his eye on Wimbledon where he has claimed the men’s title a record eight times. However, he hasn’t won a major title since the 2018 Australian Open. The Grass-court major has been cancelled this year for the first time since 1945 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Of course I miss Wimbledon, of course I would like to be there currently playing on Centre Court for a place in the second week,” he said.
“Clearly, one of my big goals, and that’s why I do recovery work every day and work so hard, and why I’m preparing for a 20-week physical preparation block this year, is because I hope to play at Wimbledon next year.”

Even though he is not playing for the rest of the year, Federer incredibly still has a chance of qualifying for the ATP Finals due to recent changes in the rankings calculations. Due to the pandemic, players are now allowed to use their best results at 18 tournaments based on a 22-month period instead of 12 months. Something that could enable him to remain inside the top eight until the end of 2020 depending on how his rivals fair.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending