Sloane Stephens Hits Out At Brisbane Organisers Over Management Of Women’s Matches - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

WTA

Sloane Stephens Hits Out At Brisbane Organisers Over Management Of Women’s Matches

The world No.24 has said the ATP has ‘got what they wanted’ concerning the scheduling of the event.

Avatar

Published

on

Former US Open champion Sloane Stephens has suggested that women’s tennis has been pushed to one side at a Premier event taking place weeks before the start of the Australian Open.

 

The Brisbane International has drawn criticism for their decision to play the early matches of the tournament on the outside courts and not on their premier court. The reason is because the venue is also hosting the brand new ATP Cup at the same time. A team tournament that features 24 countries playing across three cities.

Stephens, who is a member of the WTA Players council, was one of those forced to play on the outdoor courts on Tuesday. Losing in the first round to Russian qualifier Liudmila Samsonova 6-4, 2-6, 6-3. Speaking about the situation following her match, the American said she hopes there will be improvements made for next year.

“I think that having an ATP Cup at the same place that you have a premier tournament for the women is a bit challenging.” Said Stephens.
“I think that when you’re a No.1 player in the world who is going to play on the side court, I don’t think that that’s great.’
“We (the WTA) just weren’t in the conversation to even be considered. It was what the ATP wanted, they got what they wanted, girls to the side, that’s kind of how it always is.”
“I think it’s unfortunate,but we play and we do what we do and hopefully next year there will be some adjustments.”

The Brisbane International is by no means short of star quality this year. The field features six top 10 players. Including Ash Barty, Karolina Pliskova and Namo Osaka. The three highest ranked women in the world. It is categorised as a WTA Premier event with past winners including Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka.

“Obviously, business is business, their priority was the ATP Cup.” Stephens states.
“I understand it’s a huge event and they might not have any options, which I also understand. But at the same time we’re playing a premier (tournament) here and when you have your, a lot of the girls in the top-10 that are playing here and they’re all playing on side courts, it’s not the greatest look.”

From Thursday women’s tennis will return to the premier stadium as the ATP Cup moves to the knockout stages in Sydney. Earlier this week, top seed Barty stated that she wasn’t bothered about where she plays her matches at the Queensland Tennis Center.

Despite voicing her concerns, Stephens has refrained from completely slamming organizers as she praised them for their hospitality.

“It’s not like they’re not trying. I think they’re putting on a great event for what they have, and obviously to accommodate men and women, the people that they have. It’s not a knock on them at all. I just think that in the future,women, like, it should be equal.” She concluded.

The winner of this year’s Brisbane International will earn $266,000 in prize money and 470 WTA ranking points.

 

Latest news

Why Newly Married Elina Svitolina Has No Plans To Change Her Surname

The Ukrainian explains why she isn’t using her husband’s surname of Monfils just yet as she books her place in the third round at Tokyo 2020.

Avatar

Published

on

Just over a week ago Elina Svitolina tied the knot with her long-time partner Gael Monfils at a ceremony in Geneva, Switzerland.

 

Shortly after the world No.6 took to social media and changed her name on Twitter to Elina Monfils as part of the tradition that the woman takes on the man’s name once they are married. As a consequence, various websites started to identify the Ukrainian under that name. Although she would rather that they don’t do such a thing.

“I don’t know why they changed my surname. Maybe they saw that I had changed it on my social networks,” Svitolina told BTU.
“I’m going to play as Svitolina till the very end of my professional career and will change it only after retirement.”

Svitolina explains she believes it is better if all of her achievements are made under the same name instead of two. So far in her career she has won 15 WTA titles, reached two Grand Slam semi-finals and has earned more than $20.5M in prize money.

I had numerous achievements and people know me as Svitolina. My father would be upset if I changed the surname and played as Monfils,” she joked.
“I am proud to be Svitolina and my tennis career will always be connected with this surname.”

Over the coming week the 26-year-old is hoping to add an Olympic medal to her resume. On Monday Svitolina survived a stern scare after coming back from a set down to defeat Ajla Tomljanović 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 and move into the third round of the tournament. Her win came on the day where there were shocks galore in the women’s draw with seeds Aryna Sabalenka, Iga Swiatek and Petra Kvitova all crashing out.

Svitolina will play Greece’s Maria Sakkari in the next round whom she has lost to in two out of their three previous meetings.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Why Ash Barty Isn’t Staying At The Olympic Village In Tokyo

The two-time Grand Slam champion has opted to stay at an alternate venue heading into the Games.

Avatar

Published

on

Ashleigh Barty (AUS) playing against Angelique Kerber (GER) in the semi-final of the Ladies' Singles on Centre Court at The Championships 2021. Held at The All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon. Day 10 Thursday 08/07/2021. Credit: AELTC/Jed Leicester

Ash Barty will prepare for her debut at the Olympic Games by staying at a base located outside of the athletes village as part of her ‘performance plan.’

 

The world No.1 heads into Tokyo as one of the favourites for gold following her triumph at Wimbledon where she defeated Karolina Pliskova in the final. She is one of six top 10 players set to play in the women’s singles tournament which will start on Saturday.

Leading up to the Games, the head of the Australian Olympic delegation has told reporters that Barty’s decision not to stay in the village will enhance her gold medal chances. In previous Games athletes have stayed outside of the villages but this year it is more challenging to do so due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Tokyo is currently in a state of emergency and fans are banned from attending the event amid fears of the virus spreading if they do so.

“Ash is staying elsewhere,” chef de mission Ian Chesterman told the Australian Associated Press.
“We have a number of athletes staying outside the village. We allow that, it’s just what works best for them.
“Something I’ve always been very big on is driving performance takes a whole lot of flexible decisions, flexible options.
“In terms of her performance plan, it’s best served by her being able to control her environment and we respect that.”

The exact location of Barty’s base has not been disclosed but it is near to the village where she was said to have visited and had a cup of coffee on Tuesday morning.

She is staying in an Australian environment where she can still easily access the village,” Chesterman stated.

The 25-year-old is bidding to become only the second Australian in history to win a medal in the women’s singles at the Olympics. The first was Alicia Molik who claimed a bronze medal back in 2004.

During a recent interview with The ITF, Barty said playing at the event is a dream come true for her as she describes representing her country as the ‘highest honour.’

“Being an Olympian has always been a dream of mine as a kid, I think representing your country is the highest honour,” Barty told the ITF.
“For an Aussie it’s the best thing you can do and I can’t wait to have an opportunity to wear the green and gold.
“You’re playing for something bigger than yourself. You’re playing to represent your nation. You’re playing to make people proud and that’s not just with results it’s with your attitude.”

Continue Reading

Latest news

Bianca Andreescu pulls out of Tokyo Olympics

The world number five has officially pulled out of the Olympics in Tokyo stating reasons due to the ongoing pandemic situation.

Avatar

Published

on

Bianca Andreescu will not be making the trip to Tokyo to play in the Olympics after withdrawing due to the current pandemic situation.

 

The former US Open champion issued a statement concerning what she describes as a ‘difficult decision.’ Andreescu is the latest top name to pull out of the Olympics. Last week Nick Kyrgios also said he wouldn’t be playing for similar reasons. Due to a a surge of COVID-19 cases in Tokyo, the city has gone into a state of emergency which prompted organisers to ban spectators from attending Olympic events in the city. Athletes will be subjected to tough restrictions during their time at the event, as well as regular testing.

” I would like to inform you that I have made the very difficult decision to not play in the Tokyo Olympics later this month,” Andreescu wrote on Instagram. “I have been dreaming of representing Canada at the Olympics since I was a little girl but with all the challenges we are facing as it relates to the pandemic, I know that deep in my heart, this is the right decision to make for myself. I look forward to representing Canada in future Fed Cup ties, and competing at the 2024 Olympics in Paris! “

The Canadian hasn’t played since losing in the first round of Wimbledon to Alize Cornet of France and most recently split with her coach Sylvain Brunneau after a four-year partnership.

Her 2021 season has been up and down starting in Australia where she lost in the second round before making the semifinals at the Phillips Island Trophy event. She then made the final at the Miami Open before taking a fall in the final against Ash Barty and was forced to retire due to injury.

Then the clay-court season came and Andreescu tested positive for Covid. She was forced to miss events in Madrid and Rome, so she headed to Strasbourg for some preparation before the French Open. The world No.5 won two matches in Strasbourg before pulling out due to an ab injury. She then lost in the first round of the French Open.

The Canadian moved on to the grass-court season heading to Berlin but again would get upset in the first round by Alize Cornet before winning one round in Eastbourne and losing to Anett Kontaveit.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending