John Millman Scolds Journalist For Labelling Australia’s Male Tennis Stars As ‘D***heads’ - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

John Millman Scolds Journalist For Labelling Australia’s Male Tennis Stars As ‘D***heads’

The world No.47 has hit back at the media commentator for his ‘lazy take’ in fitting fashion.

Avatar

Published

on

John Millman - Australian Open 2020 (via Twitter, @AustralianOpen)

A well known media commentator in Australia is at the centre of controversy after being called out for taking a swipe at his country’s top male tennis players.

 

Mike Carlton triggered backlash on Thursday after writing a Twitter post about the sport. In it, he describes female players such as world No.1 Ash Barty as nicer than their male counterparts. Elaborating further he said that male players, especially from Australia, tend to be ‘dickheads.’ 73-year-old Carlton is a veteran media commentator and journalist. He has previously worked for organisations such as the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC), The Sydney Morning Herald and national radio stations.

“Shame about Ash Barty. But here’s a question. Why are women tennis players much, much nicer than the male of the species? (Not counting Margaret Court).” He wrote on Twitter following Barty’s semi-final loss.
“The women seem to have their act together. The men tend to be dickheads, especially in Australia.”

Carlton’s claim has been blasted by world No.47 John Millman. Who was knocked out of the third round of the Australian Open this year after losing a five-set thriller against Roger Federer. Responding to the tweet, Millman branded it as a ‘lazy take’ before paying tribute to his fellow players on the tour.

“Our women are incredible but a bit of a lazy take,” Millman said.
“Nick Kyrgios – more off court charity in tennis than anyone I know.
“Alex de Minaur – one of the brightest young superstars yet for his age the most humble guy I know.
“Jordan Thompson – massively hard worker.”

Continuing further Millman also hailed Thanasi Kokkinakis for his ‘resilience through injuries’ and wheelchair tennis star Dylan Alcott for ‘what he has done for tennis players playing with a disability.’

When challenged on his view, Carlton stressed that he doesn’t believe all male players are ‘dickheads.’ Instead he argues that they ‘tend to be.’ Going on to single out Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic, as well as former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt.

In the past Kyrgios and Tomic have made headlines for their controversial behaviour. Kyrgios is still on a six-month probation period dating back to September for ‘aggravated behaviour’ on the court.’ Should he break any rules at an ATP Tournament during that period, he faces a 16-week suspension.

However, Kyrgios wasn’t involved in any controversy throughout this year’s grand slam in Melbourne. Except for the occasional racket smash which many others have done. The 24-year-old has been praised for being one of the key driving forces behind a series of fundraisers to support the bush fire appeal. Furthermore, world No.1 Rafael Nadal hailed his performance at the Australian Open this year following their clash in the fourth round.

“I saw him playing during the whole tournament almost every match, and he has been great, with a very positive attitude. Personally, I like to watch him play when he’s doing that way,” Nadal said. “I think everybody likes to watch Nick play when he’s able to play like this. His talent is to be one of the best [players] of the world, without a doubt, with good chances to fight for every tournament.’’

In this year’s Australian Open there was 11 home players participating in the men’s main draw compared to seven in the women’s.

Latest news

Roger Federer trains with Dominic Stricker in Dubai

Avatar

Published

on

Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has been training hard with his compatriot Dominic Stricker in Dubai, where he traditionally spends his off-season. Federer published a photo on his social media with Dominic Stricker, who won the Roland Garros Junior title and current world junior number three. 

 

Stricker made a comment on his Instagram account: 

“What three weeks. I really enjoyed every single minute in Dubai. What a great start to the new season. I am looking forward to playing some tournaments. Thanks to Roger Federer and his team for these great practices”, said Dominic Stricker. 

Federer will skip the Australian Open, but he may make his come-back in Rotterdam or Dubai. His main goals for the 2021 season are Wimbledon, the US Open and the Olympi Games in Tokyo. He has pulled out of the Australian Open because his wife Mirka did not approve of the quarantine conditions set out for his family. 

“Roger had two options. He could come with the whole family and quarantine. The problem is that Mirka and his children could not leave the room. They would have to stay 14 days in the room”, said Australian Open director of player relations Andre Sa. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

The Rotterdam ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament will be held behind closed doors

Avatar

Published

on

Organisers announced that the 48th edition of the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament will be held behind closed doors from 1 to 7 March 2021 because of the current epidemiological situation and the measures to fight against the Covid-19 pandemic. 

 

The tickets already sold for the 2021 edition will be moved to the 49th edition in 2022. It does not mean that there will not be fans in the arena. In the event that this turns out to be possible, fans, who have already bought the tickets, will be contacted. Because the capacity is expected to be limited with the latest information regarding the situation in the Netherlands, this will be announced at a later stage. It has alreaady decided to postpone the tickets from 2021 to 2022. 

“As much as we regret it, we are making the decision now to move all tickets for the coming edition to 2022. That way, every fan has the certainty that he or she can attend the tournament next year at the seat and the day he or she wants. Should it turn out last minute that we can offer tickets for 2021, we will give the people who have already tickets now the opportunity to be there”, said Rotterdam tournament Director Richard Kraijcek. 

The star-studded Rotterdam already features 2020 ATP Finals champion Danil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev (winner in Doha, Adelaide, Hamburg, St. Petersburg and Vienna in 2020), three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka, former top 10 player and 2017 ATP Finals runner-up David Goffin, 2014 US Open finalist Kei Nishikori and 2019 Next Gen ATP Finals champion Jannik Sinner. 

Medvedev will play in the Dutch city for the fourth time in his career. He made his debut at this tournament in 2018 as a qualifier, when he was ranked world number 57. He returned to Rotterdam in 2016 as world number 16. He reached the semifinal before losing to Gael Monfils, who went on to win the tournament. 

Wawrinka will make his fifth appearance in Rotterdam. The Swiss player has won 16 ATP titles, including Rotterdam in 2015, when he beat Tomas Berdych in the final. He won the Australian Open in 2014, Roland Garros in 2015 and the US Open in 2016 and reached a career-high of world number 3. He is one of the few players besides the big three to win multiple Grand Slam titles in the last decade. Wawrinka is now ranked world number 18. 

Nishikori will play in Rotterdam for the second time. The Japanese player reached the semifinal in 2019, when he was beaten by Wawrinka in three sets. Nishikori will chase the 13th title of his career. He claimed his first tournament in Delray Beach in 2008 and won five of his twelve titles in indoor court tournaments.  Sinner made his debut in Rotterdam in 2019 and beat then world number 10 David Goffin in straight sets, but he lost to Pablo Carreno Busta in the tie-break of the third set. World number 37 Sinner is the youngest player in the top 100 and won his first ATP Tour title in Sofia last November. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Dominic Thiem hopes that tennis will get back to normal in 2021

Avatar

Published

on

World number 3 Dominic Thiem has travelled to Adelaide, where he is serving a two-week quarantine before heading to Melbourne for the second edition of the ATP Cup and the Australian Open. 

 

Thiem is aiming to win a second Grand Slam title after claiming the US Open trophy last September beating Alexander Zverev in the final. He clinched his Grand Slam title in his fourth final. 

“I have been on vacation a little longer than usual, and the training went well. For the first two and a half weeks, I only did fitness.  The presence of physio Alex Stober since the days before Christmas was very helpful. In the first week, I can play with a training partner and two others in the second set. We can also go out from the third week, probably for the first time without a mask since Indian Wells 2020. That is sensational. I hope that we can play throughout the entire year and repeat the results from the previous couple of years”,said Thiem.

Last year Thiem came back from two sets down to beat Zverev in a five-set tie-break at last September’s US Open after 4 hours and 2 minutes. He became the second Austrian player to win a Grand Slam title after Thomas Muster, who won the French Open in 1995. 

The Austrian player lost a five-set quarter final to Diego Schwartzman at the French Open in five hours and eight minutes. He was not able to reach the Roland Garros semifinal for the first time in five years. Thiem qualified for the semifinal in Paris in 2016 and 2017 and two consecutive finals in 2018 and 2019, finishing runner-up to Rafael Nadal both times. 

Thiem hopes that tennis will be back to normal after the pandemic affected the 2020 season. 

“I hope that we can play throughout the entire year and repeat the results from the previous couple of years. I also wish our lives get back to normal by the summer months”, said Thiem. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending