Croatia clinches decisive doubles match over Poland - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Croatia clinches decisive doubles match over Poland

Published

on

Croatia’s Nikola Mektic and Ivan Dodig defeated Poland’s Hubert Hukacz and Lukacz Kubot 6-2 6-1 in the decisive doubles match to clinch Croatia’s second tie win at the ATP Cup at the Ken Rosewall Arena in Sydney.

 

Dodig and Mektic broke twice in each set and saved all four break points they faced, They dropped only four first-serve points.

“There are some days when you feel great on the court, like we felt today many things were going our way. I am happy it was the deciding match, and I am happy that we managed to play on the high level today on the deciding point”, said Dodig.

Croatia has clinched wins over Austria and Poland. If Croatia beats Argentina on Wednesday, they will secure their spot in the knock-out stage.

In the first opening match former world number 3 Marin Cilic beat 20-year-old Pole Kacper Zuk 7-6 (10-8) 6-4. Zhuk saved a total of four break points in the first set but he held on his serve. Cilic edged Zhuk 10-8 in a tight tie-break. Cilic won the second set 6-4 with a break in the first game and held his serve in the fourth game after saving three break points. Zhuk fended off a total of seven break points in the second set.

Hubert Hurkacz upset Borna Coric 6-2 6-2 two days after beating Argentina’s Diego Schwartzman in the opening tie. Hurkacz did not convert a break point in the second game of the second set, but he broke Coric two games later to open up a 3-1 lead. Hurkacz clinched his fourth break of the match in the final game to seal a straight-set win.

“This was one of the best matches I have played. Borna is a great player and I had to play very well to beat him”, said Hurkacz.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Focus

Stefanos Tsitsipas: “I will miss Wimbledon and I can’t wait to 2021”

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas said that the Wimbledon cancellation news was just an April fool after organizers of the famous British tournament called off their Grand Slam event due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and public health concerns.

 

Tsitsipas made his debut at Wimbledon in 2017 and reached the fourth round in 2018. He lost to Stefano Travaglia in the opening round at Wimbledon last year, but he bounced back winning the ATP Finals in London.

This year Tsitsipas won the Marseille title for the second consecutive year and lost the Dubai final against Novak Djokovic in Dubai. He lost to Milos Raonic in the third round at the Australian Open. At the inaugural edition of the ATP Cup in Australia he beat Alexander Zverev and lost to Denis Shapovalov and Nick Kyrgios.

Tsitsipas was the first Greek player to break into the top 5 and the first player from his country to reach a Grand Slam semifinal at the Australian Open in 2019. Last year he scored the biggest win of his career against Novak Djokovic in Shanghai and won three titles in Marseille and Estoril. He finished runner-up to Roger Federer in Dubai and to Dominic Thiem in Beijing.

“I went to bed thinking this was all a bad April fools joke but I woke up today to find that Wimbledon is actually cancelled. I will miss this special event and I can’t wait to 2021. Stay home. Stay sane”, wrote Tsitsipas in a Twitter post.

Continue Reading

Focus

Roger Federer: “We experience difficult times, we arise from it strengthened”

Published

on

Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has confirmed that he is planning to play in Halle in 2021 after the historic German grass tournament was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The ATP has extended the suspension of the tour until 13th July. Federer was expected to play in Halle, a tournament where he won ten times and reached 13 finals. He made his debut in Halle in 2000 during his career.

 

“We experience difficult times, however, we will arise from it strengthened. Already today I am glad and excited about my return to Halle next year. Stay healthy”, said Federer in a statement released on the Halle tournament website.

 Federer also won eight Wimbledon titles, which was also called off for the first time since 1945 due to public health concerns due to the coronavirus outbreak.

 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Angelique Kerber: “I am heavy-hearted about the cancellation of the grass season”

Published

on

Former Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber has posted her thought on the Wimbledon cancellation.

 

“The thought of playing at Wimbledon has always been the biggest source of my motivation. It goes without saying that I I am heavy hearted that the cancellation of the grass court season also means that I won’t be able to play in front of my home crowd in sport unites, in good and bad times. Once this has passed, it may even help us appreciate our everydayday routines and the beauty of our sport even more than before. Thanks to everyone who is working 24/7 to get us through this uncertain time”.

The German player of Polish origin won three Grand Slam titles at the Australian Open and at the US Open in 2016 and at Wimbledon in 2018. She won the Olympic singles silver medal in Rio de Janeiro 2016 losing in the final to Monica Puig.

Kerber lost to Samantha Stosur in the first round in Brisbane. Kerber beat Wang Qiang in straight sets in the first round before retiring from her second round match against Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska due to a left harmstring injury, after the German player was down a set and a break.

At the Australian Open Kerber beat Elisabetta Cocciaretto, Priscilla Hon, Camila Giorgi before losing to Anastasya Pavlyuchenkova. She is currently ranked world number 21 in the WTA Ranking.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending